Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-25, 06:29   Link #1
deedlit
the High Elf

Manga and Anime

If you have easy access to both manga and anime, will you read the manga and watch the anime of the same title @ the same time?

I do find that after read the manga (where the story is usually way ahead of the anime), I tend to be more critrical of the anime, which really spoils the enjoyment of watching the anime (and vice venus). And ended up only downloading the anime and never watch.
Old 2004-03-25, 06:40   Link #2
TDKNL
GIF genin

Send a message via MSN to TDKNL
Because of that I don't ( ) read manga before I watch the anime.

My personal view (same as you) is that if you read the manga before watching the anime it spoils the enjoyment of the anime.

And I have the same problem I will be more critical when watching the anime

Only when I have questions while watching the anime, then I will consider reading the manga (for example the Naruto manga )
Old 2004-03-25, 07:07   Link #3
7thMethuselah

Well if a series is good I will read the manga for sure. And if I get the manga first and like it, I'll sure as hell try to get my hands on the anime.

Does reading the manga first spoil the fun? Yes it does imo. Personally I prefer to watch the anime first for the reason that it usually never goes as far or as deep as the manga. That way the manga will still hold alot of surprises. But in general I'll get both anyway because even if you know what's gonna happen it'll still be very enjoyable in most cases
Old 2004-03-25, 07:15   Link #4
deedlit
the High Elf

You're better than me I've regreted reading naruto, one piece, hikaru no go, etc, way ahead of the animes :P Now the animes seem to develop too slow and actually, begin to drag (for me)....

Or have the thoughts of "hey, that's different from the manga! The manga version is better! Why the hell they change?"

What questions?

Hmm how do I create a poll? Was going to, but there's something about 10mins after/before? starting a thread.
Old 2004-03-26, 01:01   Link #5
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

i jump around, really
i read the manga and watch the anime at the same rate (i read the Love Hina manga before i saw the anime...first time i saw such a loose interpretation of a manga)
but sometimes, watching the anime THEN reading the manga can be really good, especially for incomplete series or series with minor plotholes
Old 2004-03-26, 01:29   Link #6
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Well, I live in the country that makes the anime once the manga (or novel) is popular enough to be animated. Hence, I would be reading the manga even before there are talks of being animated since my peers, co-workers, and friends are already reading them as do I on those weekly/monthly magazine (yo guys call them "phonebook" magazines?).
Old 2004-03-26, 06:57   Link #7
bluemist
i am the mist

If the anime runs almost EXACTLY like the manga (i.e. Naruto), I won't be watching the anime faithfully and just stick to the manga.

If the anime is very different (i.e. Ultra Maniac), sure I'll follow both anime and manga.

If the anime is worthy enough even though it runs almost the same as the manga (i.e. Azumanga Daioh), I'll definitely follow both.

There are a few instances wherein I was disappointed with the manga (i.e. Full Moon wo Sagashite) and followed the anime instead.
Old 2004-03-26, 09:44   Link #8
Kyuven

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Well, I live in the country that makes the anime once the manga (or novel) is popular enough to be animated. Hence, I would be reading the manga even before there are talks of being animated since my peers, co-workers, and friends are already reading them as do I on those weekly/monthly magazine (yo guys call them "phonebook" magazines?).
interesting note: my japanese teacher has an oooollllldddd copy of one manga magazine, and i did a size comparison...it's actually BIGGER than my Algebra 1 textbook
Old 2004-03-26, 11:44   Link #9
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

There are also instances, though probably much more rare, where the anime comes first, and the Manga is made to cash in on the anime's popularity. Or times when the manga and anime are made at the same time, but the show is the real focus of the creators. Therefor those writing the manga version don't get input as to the full story.

Take Utena for instance. The character designs did the manga and was under the impression that it would be a typical 'magical girl' story, but the anime wound up being something rather different and unique.
Old 2004-03-26, 12:23   Link #10
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Personally I tend to read the manga first. Athough there are times when the
manga is made after the show, Vandread is a good example of the anime
coming first then a manga adaption being made afterwards.

Quote:
Before me I have the Residential Telephone Listings (White Pages), it's dimensions
are roughly 1.6 inch x 8 inch x 10.5 inch or 4cm x 20cm x 25cm (HxWxL). Most
monthly magazines tend to be at least that large, sometimes larger. I think the
term "phonebook" magazine is quite fitting.
Old 2004-03-26, 14:30   Link #11
Evan
天使我爱你

Well,I'll buy and watch whichever comes out first(depends on the price too)
Old 2004-03-26, 21:13   Link #12
Sethi
StormRider

Well if the anime comes out at the same time as the manga then i will follow them at the same time, but seeing the anime version first, because when a person reads the manga, we tend to be more dissapointed with the anime.
If the Manga is much more advanced than the anime then i read the manga and watch the Anime as well, i don't lose much interest in the anime, rather i gain more expectation to see how will they animate that scene that was damn cool in the manga, of course some times i get dissapointed but the times i don't, makes up for it
Old 2004-03-26, 22:54   Link #13
MikoKikyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDKNL
Because of that I don't ( ) read manga before I watch the anime.

My personal view (same as you) is that if you read the manga before watching the anime it spoils the enjoyment of the anime.

And I have the same problem I will be more critical when watching the anime
Same here!

I tried reading the manga, but it didn't work, not even because it spoils it. My problem is, I've gotten used to speed reading, almost skimming everything. So I found myself rushing through their lines and not really looking at the pictures. Sometimes I had to go back and look at the pictures, which I had skipped in my eagerness to find out what was happening next. Needless to say, I completely missed the fun in the battle scenes.
I guess I just couldn't get used to the type of reading ::shrug::
Old 2004-03-27, 20:32   Link #14
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

Quote:
Same here, we also have these phonebook-sized tankoubons over here in Germany, unmirrored and faithfully translated The manga there are quite actual as well, generally 2000-2003.
There are currently three of them coming out monthly, 480pp. for 5€, and there are already more announced since they sell very well.
I'm sure that's a shock for the Americans here with their exploitative manga prices: tiny 32pp. pamphlet for hefty US$3
Manga that are very successful (determined by votes) also are published in normal tankoubons afterwards, just like in Japan.
Besides that, there are also a lot of series appearing as tankoubon right away, normally ~200pp. at 5€. Since some time already, there hasn't been a single mirrored manga anymore, and the translations are faithfully done without any alterations.
If a series is successful as a manga, it's also likely that the publisher will try to bring the anime over here.
So, it's quite common that I read the manga before I see the anime. As an example, I've started reading the manga (currently two tankoubons out over here) before I watched the anime, and it didn't spoil the anime for me. Rather, it enhanced the anime for me since I already knew the characters, so I enjoyed it even more
Old 2004-03-28, 02:48   Link #15
Kyuven

it's weird, actually
my local bookstore that carries Shonen JUMP (the only all-manga mag currently released in the states...that i know of) sells out pretty early in the month...and everyone i know has subscriptions...
yet they still only package about 5 manga series in there, with 2-3 chapters each...the manga they DON'T display in the shonen jumps, Rurouni Kenshin, is already on volume 4 whereas Naruto, One Piece, and Yu Yu Hakusho just released 3 >_<
Old 2004-03-28, 05:54   Link #16
bluemist
i am the mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriestessKikyo
I tried reading the manga, but it didn't work, not even because it spoils it. My problem is, I've gotten used to speed reading, almost skimming everything. So I found myself rushing through their lines and not really looking at the pictures. Sometimes I had to go back and look at the pictures, which I had skipped in my eagerness to find out what was happening next. Needless to say, I completely missed the fun in the battle scenes.
I guess I just couldn't get used to the type of reading ::shrug::
My problem with manga is quite similar with yours. Well, especially when it comes to action shounen manga like Naruto. Most of the time, I don't understand those battle scenes! It's either the manga is at fault for not being able to convey the action correctly using still pictures, or I'm at fault for gaining poor eyesight or understanding what I see. I really wouldn't understand what happens until the characters would talk and explain it for me (a rather recurring trait in shounen manga, they always explain what happened).
Old 2004-03-28, 07:08   Link #17
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemist
My problem with manga is quite similar with yours. Well, especially when it comes to action shounen manga like Naruto. Most of the time, I don't understand those battle scenes! It's either the manga is at fault for not being able to convey the action correctly using still pictures, or I'm at fault for gaining poor eyesight or understanding what I see. I really wouldn't understand what happens until the characters would talk and explain it for me (a rather recurring trait in shounen manga, they always explain what happened).
yeah battle scenes can be very confusing, usually the real thing happinging is tucked away in a small corner of the picture. I always look at action drawings very concentrated because sometimes it's a foot coming outta nowhere or something that decides the action . Anyway for manga the same goes as for reading books, you need a bit of imagination to fill up the gap between still images and a moving battle scene. Comparing naruto to kenshin I'd have to say I found kenshin battle scenes better portrayed than the naruto ones.

However the most annoying thing about manga is : sometimes I stop in the middle of a manga, and when I continue I can't remember if the editor has flipped the images or not, so I often find myself staring dazed and confused at a few pages before figuring it out
Old 2004-03-30, 17:12   Link #18
Mcdonalds

lol, well i've only been watching anime for about half a year now and i only watch it. My sister d/led a whole lot of naruto manga which i tried to read the first 4 pages and i thought omg, this is crap, i can't imagine nothing from these or make sense of the story from it, so have decided to give up on manga. Having said that, i prefer reading books over films made from books as they give more character development and allow for a better relationship to be built i find (rather than bias towards actors/actresses and less character development).
Old 2004-10-04, 14:12   Link #19
Poops
Viva Monster Union.

Read manga or watch anime first.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm curious if most people prefer to read the manga first then watch the anime or vice versa or both at the same time or what. I actually like to watch the anime first. I bet most people like to read the manga first though.
Old 2004-10-04, 14:23   Link #20
Ending

Don't worry about it; the mods get necromantic and mergomantic if this has been asked before.

IMO, anime usually leaves out a lot from the original manga and is usually much more clichê, but it tolds the core-story the manga has. Naked skin, violence, gross language, and so on are cut off to please the TV-channels, thus I prefer to read the manga AFTER the anime. Like I said: it just tells the core-story and is about half as good as the original one (...excluding Love Hina...), so if it is still any good I know that the manga will be worth it too.

Like having a review with some of the best scenes live-in-motion.
Closed Thread