AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-03-09, 10:21   Link #1481
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I have hit my first roadblock. That dragon boss in that level 30is dungeon. His green goo puddles that seems to NEVER GO are a pain in the ass. He is a dick. A DICK.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-09, 11:38   Link #1482
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I have hit my first roadblock. That dragon boss in that level 30is dungeon. His green goo puddles that seems to NEVER GO are a pain in the ass. He is a dick. A DICK.
thats a tank and healer battle there. tank needs to dodge aoes and move the dragon around the walls, moving him so the dragon stays out of poison, dps and healers should stand where they can afford the poison to land since he fires it at random plp
Old 2014-03-09, 11:55   Link #1483
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Ok. Time to hone my modest competences as a tank. Gladiator right here.
Old 2014-03-09, 13:46   Link #1484
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm not familiar with BLM, but why would you take out Transpose? Blizzard 3 doesn't give you full stack of Umbra Ice if you're still in Astral Fire state.

Also, this is maybe just my biased perspective, but I'm not queuing with E players so that could be why I haven't encountered any trollish/noobish party members.
Unfortunately this is not well-explained in-game, as the only time you can ever see the Astral Fire or Umbral Ice tooltips are when you actually have the buff on you.

Once you hit 40 on THM, you gain access to Astral Fire III and Umbral Ice III. They have the added effect of halving the cast time for spells of the opposite elemental aspect.

Both Fire III and Blizzard III will remove the opposite state and replace it with a full stack of the Astral Fire or Umbral Ice. So once you have both Fire III and Blizzard III, your rotation changes.

As an item level 90 black mage who is currently working on Twintania, my rotation is as follows:

Blizzard III > Thunder > Fire III > Fire casts until MP is ~300 (use any Firestarter Fire IIIs or Thundercloud Thunder IIIs here, as well) > Blizzard III > refresh Thunder if necessary (it will be if you get no Thundercloud procs) > Blizzard (if MP is not full) / Fire III (if MP is full) > repeat from Thunder on

Some black mages prefer to use Thunder II over Thunder in their rotation, but I prefer stopping at ~300 MP instead of ~1000 MP and getting an extra Fire cast in there. This can cause Thunder's DoT to fall off prematurely (especially if you get a lot of Firestarter procs) but I've parsed both rotations and mine actually parses better in most situations. It's important to remember that the Thunder line of spells all have the same exact DoT potency (35) and the higher-ranked spells only have higher front-loaded damage and durations. This is why it's most damage-efficient to always use Thunder unless you get a Thundercloud proc, in which case you should use Thunder III, or you want to DoT up a secondary target while you focus on a different one. For example, in Turn 4's second wave of enemies, I will put Thunder III on the Clockwork Soldier I'm not currently fighting and then switch to the one I need to kill first. This can help if you don't have two magical DPS for Turn 4; the Thunder III on its own should be enough to strip the physical-damage-absorbing stoneskin effect.

Transpose is not useless, however. It shifts from your main rotation to your Area-Effect rotation, which is as follows:

High DPS AE rotation:
Blizzard III > Fire III > Fire II until ~1000 MP (try not to go under 266 MP) > Swiftcast Flare > Transpose > Freeze > Freeze > Fire III > repeat from Fire II on

Threat-conscious AE rotation:
Fire II until ~1000 MP > normal-cast Flare > Transpose > Freeze > Freeze > repeat from Fire II on

If Convert is currently off-cooldown then you can actually avoid Transposing after a Flare and keep your DPS up; I do this on burn phases even for single-target DPS, such as Conflagrations on Twintania or the dreadnoughts in Turn 4. Normally you don't want to use Flare in a single-target rotation because it will crater your DPS hard while you try to recover MP, but if you have Convert up, you can get around that.

Convert-is-up "burn cycle":

Blizzard III > Thunder > Fire III > Fire until ~300 MP > Swiftcast Flare > Convert while the GCD cycles > Fire > Blizzard III > switch to normal rotation from Thunder

Transpose is also useful for any time the mob is going to be untargetable for longer than 10 seconds. When I'm about to get conflagged, for example, I'll always try to tap Transpose before I get Fetters if I'm in Astral Fire state. I'll also use Transpose after the end of every fight if I'm still in Astral Fire, as MP does not regenerate at all while in the Astral Fire state.
Old 2014-03-10, 12:01   Link #1485
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Some kind of news out about the next update. Talk about glamore or something that sounds like what we've been waiting for.
Old 2014-03-10, 20:08   Link #1486
holybell84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Some kind of news out about the next update. Talk about glamore or something that sounds like what we've been waiting for.
Where? I can't find anything that says that other than the upcoming Live Letter
Old 2014-03-10, 21:19   Link #1487
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by holybell84 View Post
Where? I can't find anything that says that other than the upcoming Live Letter
Yeah, they've been teasing out little previews on the blog and news sections (like today's blog teasing the new mount, which is kind of crazy-looking ), but more info should be coming at the next Live.
Old 2014-03-11, 01:14   Link #1488
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Ok. Time to hone my modest competences as a tank. Gladiator right here.
When you are in Brayflox's Longstop, you are expected to have gotten your "job" instead of class. So I would definitely recommend going in as a Paladin instead of a Gladiator (Level Conjurer to level 15, and then I believe the Gladiator quildmaster has a quest for Paldain, or somebody in the Gladiator's guild) Paladin has a nice stat boost over Gladiator so you will definitely perform much better.
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-11, 12:35   Link #1489
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Just hit 50 on my WHM. Time to farm for Thyrus.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-11, 12:36   Link #1490
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow Yun View Post
When you are in Brayflox's Longstop, you are expected to have gotten your "job" instead of class. So I would definitely recommend going in as a Paladin instead of a Gladiator (Level Conjurer to level 15, and then I believe the Gladiator quildmaster has a quest for Paldain, or somebody in the Gladiator's guild) Paladin has a nice stat boost over Gladiator so you will definitely perform much better.
There's no point at all to use PLD until you hit level 40. Unlike warrior, which gets Defiance at level 30, paladin doesn't get Shield Oath until 40. You're actually a much better tank as GLA between 30 and 40 with a greater range of cross-class actions to take.
Old 2014-03-11, 20:47   Link #1491
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
There's no point at all to use PLD until you hit level 40. Unlike warrior, which gets Defiance at level 30, paladin doesn't get Shield Oath until 40. You're actually a much better tank as GLA between 30 and 40 with a greater range of cross-class actions to take.
I believe jobs get significant stat boost from their job crystal. Therefore, it makes the healer's life easier when you take less damage.
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-11, 20:51   Link #1492
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Quote:
I believe that your level get adjusted to 34 max, which render skills above this level unusable.
Old 2014-03-11, 21:39   Link #1493
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow Yun View Post
I believe jobs get significant stat boost from their job crystal. Therefore, it makes the healer's life easier when you take less damage.
Vit only gives you a larger pool of hp not less damage taken, the cross class defensive CDs can provide more benefit til oath if you have access to most of them.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-11, 21:57   Link #1494
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

So the reason why my my character that I got to lvl 40 during the free trial didn't show up was because I have 2 SOE accounts, one for Planetside 2 and one for ARR

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-12, 01:02   Link #1495
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Vit only gives you a larger pool of hp not less damage taken, the cross class defensive CDs can provide more benefit til oath if you have access to most of them.
I am considering taking Marauder for That défensive crossclass skill.
Old 2014-03-12, 01:24   Link #1496
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Quote:
Blizzard III > Thunder > Fire III > Fire casts until MP is ~300 (use any Firestarter Fire IIIs or Thundercloud Thunder IIIs here, as well) > Blizzard III > refresh Thunder if necessary (it will be if you get no Thundercloud procs) > Blizzard (if MP is not full) / Fire III (if MP is full) > repeat from Thunder on

High DPS AE rotation:
Blizzard III > Fire III > Fire II until ~1000 MP (try not to go under 266 MP) > Swiftcast Flare > Transpose > Freeze > Freeze > Fire III > repeat from Fire II on

Threat-conscious AE rotation:
Fire II until ~1000 MP > normal-cast Flare > Transpose > Freeze > Freeze > repeat from Fire II on
For the normal rotations, I start out with:
Thunder III > Swiftcast Fire III > fire/proc spam, Blizzard III > Thunder I/II/III (depending on how much mp I have) > Fire III > fire/proc spam etc.

I feel like an extra blizzard/scathe during regen phase is not 'that' good cause you lose 1-2 seconds on starting your fire burn phase. Also, when you proc a firestarter as you start casting Bilzzard III, when your MP is full, use transpose and then use the firestarter proc for extra dps.

For AOE supah burn:
Fire III > Fire II x2-4 (depending on mob hp) > Flare > Convert > Flare > mega-either HQ > Swiftcast Flare. Make sure you have Quelling handy for those under-equipped tanks

On a separate note, my static coil group is finally getting to dreadknights consistently in T5. No more painful wipes in dive bombs . I'm thinking we will down it this week!
Old 2014-03-12, 07:26   Link #1497
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Once you get to Twisters/Knights, it's pretty easy from there. Next real test will probably be the enrage timer.
cors8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-12, 07:50   Link #1498
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

damn went to transfer to tonberry then relized i have to pay 20 bucks, thought we all get 1 free character transfer.....guess i was wrong
Old 2014-03-12, 22:57   Link #1499
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Well I just decided to PuG coil this week due too many ppl missing for FC run and got to attempt turn 5 some and was able to make it to dive bombs and feel I got fight down up until having to dodge during snakes (succeeded some, but we didn't get past snakes), though I kinda felt it was due to spot we were using to dodge the dives when snakes were out was the problem.

Twisters don't sound/look fun though...
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-13, 10:09   Link #1500
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Well I just decided to PuG coil this week due too many ppl missing for FC run and got to attempt turn 5 some and was able to make it to dive bombs and feel I got fight down up until having to dodge during snakes (succeeded some, but we didn't get past snakes), though I kinda felt it was due to spot we were using to dodge the dives when snakes were out was the problem.

Twisters don't sound/look fun though...
Where is your group trying to dodge Divebombs? The commonly accepted areas are pretty easy.

Twisters are also all timed. Just focus target Twin and move, without crossing paths with other people, when you see the cast bar. Once the green swirl disappears, you're safe to do whatever again.
cors8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mmorpg