Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2016-08-11, 06:19   Link #5841
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Regarding Arsenal, people have been talking about a number of questionable decisions made by Arsene Wenger on the transfer market in the last few years. Now that he is 68 and possibly hitting his last miles with the club, it will be interesting to see if he will go "all in" or rather maintain the statu quo.
Arsene is practically apoplectic about the transfer market going insane that I feel he's likely looking to do the minimum necessary. I think he isn't "cheapskate," per se, but that he has his idea of how much a player is worth, to him and to Arsenal, based on the context he spoke about when asked about United's Pogba deal recently. He refuses to go over his valuation, no matter what, and would rather miss out than overpay.

At least until now. Increasingly he seems to be trying to get his head wrapped around the insanity so he can come to terms with it and do some important business to shore up holes.

And to be fair Arsenal's squad is closer to "completion" than most, regardless of what the whiny WengerOuters are complaining about. Two clear holes -- the injury crisis CB situation which he seems to be trying to address via the negotiations for Valencia's Mustafi, and a competitor to Giroud so he doesn't tire out and lose form again (which he seems to have given up on, since, per above, he doesn't think there's anybody he can buy that matches his valuation of them). Even then Arsene can tinker, especially upfront. Theo, Alexis, Chuba -- all can be experimented with. Hell Lord Sanogo is an Arsenal player.

Personally I kind of want Arsenal to do the Dortmund thing and look for younger potential superstars and give them game time to develop. We don't have to go for Lacazette or Icardi or Higuain, how about Gabriel Barbosa /lol FM? [Though Arsene might argue, if he's going buy Gabigol, he might as well play Chuba Akpom or wait a year to work more with Asano.]
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-14, 16:20   Link #5842
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

Classic Arsenal. Bottling it when in control.

There are positives though, but doesn't mask a shambolic defensive display, and our midfield got eaten second-half until Ox and Cazorla came on.

Beast goal from Ox though. Personally feel it shades Mane's for best goal of the game. Huge season for the lad.
Old 2016-08-14, 21:08   Link #5843
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I know it's a defeat and I know it reveals our key weaknesses (striker, CB), but I thought there was a lot of positives. Theo scored (and missed and stumbled, to be fair, he still needs to get up to speed), Ox scored, Cazorla looked like he is back on form, Holding showed promise right away.

I really hope the Ox keeps on going. He's a preseason Messi yet he has never really proven it in the league proper. But now he scored in the season opener. Can I...can I start hoping?

Moreover, I appreciate a quality of Wenger's that is more for a football fan than an Arsenal fan, per se: when Wenger's teams come up against teams that are equally prepared to attack, play an open game, teams that, for lack of a better term, come to play football, the result is often spectacular entertainment. Wenger has a great synergy with Klopp and Guardiola, for example. Even though the three managers have very different styles, the games between them tend to come up as celebrations of entertaining football more often than not.

Arsenal v. Barca or Dortmund were great fixtures back in the day. Here's to hoping Arsenal v. Liverpool will continue to be a fixture for cardiovascular problems for years to come.
Old 2016-08-30, 17:22   Link #5844
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Hard to believe that went under the radar for nearly a week, but Hope Solo got "sacked in the morning" last Wednesday.

U.S. Soccer terminates Hope Solo's national team contract, bans her six months

In any case, it was about time she gets the sack. She is one of the most despicable athletes out there.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-21, 21:54   Link #5845
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

The League Cup draw has some hilarious Round 4 matchups. Another Manchester Derby, The London Pretenders' Derby (West Ham v. Chelsea, if you're asking...), the Gegenpressing Derby...

In other news, Nice thrashed Monaco 4-0 in battle of the pretty Riviera towns, the same Monaco that just tore Spurs and PSG a new one, with Balotelli scoring 2.

It is my personal theory that Mario Balotelli was just milling about waiting for the real Ballon D'Or to come back, as opposed to FIFA's version, and now that it's totally #Pogback, he's going to take the legendary award from pretenders like Messi and Ronaldo.

Incidentally, I desperately want either for Arsène Wenger to sign a lifetime contract or for Lucien Favre to be announced as Arsenal's next manager. Either way I will be a very happy Arsenal fan.
Old 2016-09-24, 07:29   Link #5846
Se7enSword
Swordsman Extraordinaire

Yesssss United has been on fire without Rooney!
Old 2016-09-24, 14:39   Link #5847
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7enSword View Post
Yesssss United has been on fire without Rooney!
Yeah, I really enjoyed watching them play today. Without Wayne Rooney and Marouane Fellaini, it was a hell lot easier for the players to do what is expected of each of them. There was plenty of good movement as well. Considering that it was almost a full strength Leicester City team out there, it makes the result look even better.

To be honest, the last time I felt that kind of psychological relief among the players was when Ruud van Nistelrooy was pushed aside for the younger buds like Ronaldo, Rooney, and Saha to grow and show us what they could do at the time.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-24, 16:31   Link #5848
Se7enSword
Swordsman Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Yeah, I really enjoyed watching them play today. Without Wayne Rooney and Marouane Fellaini, it was a hell lot easier for the players to do what is expected of each of them. There was plenty of good movement as well. Considering that it was almost a full strength Leicester City team out there, it makes the result look even better.

To be honest, the last time I felt that kind of psychological relief among the players was when Ruud van Nistelrooy was pushed aside for the younger buds like Ronaldo, Rooney, and Saha to grow and show us what they could do at the time.
Glad i'm not the only one that feels that way about these two. Now we just need this team to gel and sort out our defensive mistakes. Hopefully Ibra goes back to a scoring run too, he did everything right except for scoring a goal lol
Old 2016-09-28, 03:14   Link #5849
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Can't you guys just stay bad until Mourinho got sacked or something?

Anyway, big news from Ingerland: Sam Allardyce loses job as England Manager.

So the Telegraph, a major (right wing) paper in the UK, orchestrated a sting that captured England Manager Sam Allardyce being a corrupt snake on record, released the incriminating record for all the world to see, forced the English FA's hand, and threatened more whistleblowing to come. Allardyce was forced to agree to mutually terminate his contract with the FA and thus he is the only manager of the English National Team with the magnificent record of 100% wins...I mean, singular win.

Meanwhile they get the credit, the clicks and paper sales, more clicks to come, and the privilege of sticking it to Monsieur Allardici.

Ruthless. Nice.
Old 2016-09-28, 03:55   Link #5850
Se7enSword
Swordsman Extraordinaire

I really couldn't see England succeeding with Allardyce, especially since he wouldn;t be willing to drop Rooney. It might end up being beneficial to England assuming they get a competent manager for their national team who isn't afraid to make tough choices.
Old 2016-09-28, 23:05   Link #5851
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Agreed. Allardyce would have done nothing but disgrace England further.

--

The Basel game today makes me feel Wenger may have finally succeeded in bringing back classic Wengerball, just in time to compete with Guardiola, et al, for the PL title. Despite the low scoreline Arsenal's attack, as it was Chelsea, is exactly what it's always meant to be -- lightning fast counters, multiple attack venues, flowing movement, interchangeable front four, sharp, incisive passing, an irresistible tour de force. Pace. Passion. Technique. Automatism. Football as it was meant to be played. Football that once made me fall in love.

As an aside, I have an irrational and overwhelming crush for Theo Walcott. Theo's happy, I'm happy. <3
Old 2016-10-04, 20:04   Link #5852
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

ha, you say that, then we get the game against burnley.. the good part about playing alexis up front and him adapting to the role is that we can field giroud against teams like burnley, where pace and penetration don't matter as much as someone who can play with their back to goal. it allows for two different mentalities that can be used against teams that play different styles.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-05, 12:44   Link #5853
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

Giroud and Perez both injured, so nobody else to lead the middle versus Burnley. Scrapped the win and I guess we needed the win to give a boost.
Old 2016-12-04, 20:59   Link #5854
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

what a fascinating weekend of results.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2016-12-04, 21:02   Link #5855
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Liverpool, nuff said
Old 2016-12-08, 01:07   Link #5856
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

who wants to bet that arsenal get bayern or real?

Old 2017-02-14, 17:00   Link #5857
Toukairin
Banned

Had to dig a few pages to find this.

The UEFA Champions League began the round of 16 today with PSG vs. Barcelona and Benfica vs. Dortmund.

First at the Parc des Princes... what happened there? Did PSG ingest a full dose of Popeye's spinach (or the magic potion from Astérix)? It is the first time that Barcelona has been so badly beaten in the Champions League knockout rounds since against Bayern Munich in 2013. In any case, PSG were flying out there, and I just don't see a way back for Barcelona now.

In Lisbon... Benfica won through the lone scrappy goal by Konstantinos Mitroglou, but I have to say that Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang didn't live up to his reputation at all. He must have missed 3 glorious chances, including a poor penalty. This tie is far from over, but Benfica can kill it with a single away goal in Germany. If Dortmund gets eliminated, it would be a very poor end for what was arguably the most exciting team from the group stages.

Last edited by Toukairin; 2017-02-16 at 06:17.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-15, 23:23   Link #5858
justavisitor

PSG 4 Barcelona 0

Bayern 5 Arsenal 1

Damn, how could I miss watching those two games
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-07, 16:36   Link #5859
Toukairin
Banned

Oh G... Arsenal just got whacked by Bayern Munich with the same scoreline as last time.

Seriously though, I just don't see how Wenger can now defend himself with the recent string of events both on and off the pitch. All the typical signs (bad results, bust-ups with some key players, etc.) leading to the firing of a coach/manager in any discipline are there to be seen.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-07, 20:56   Link #5860
justavisitor

well, he can still blame the referee XD. Then the arsenal will perform better in epl, secure the spot in the UEFA Champions League. Same story every year...
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
football, soccer