AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-10-01, 06:14   Link #961
pervypig

^ don't forget me, Side-P(erv) - if they got maids, they're good. Anyone who treat maids cruelly must burn.
pervypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-01, 06:23   Link #962
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by pervypig View Post
(... this is beginning to sound dumb...) Well, I'll play along: since it's already a famine, the police themselves arrested him so that they can feast on his meat perhaps?

Hey, ever considered that whatever values you might have are crafted by a fickle society and just a passing fad? 100 years ago it's okay to punch a black in the face for looking at you queer, 15 years ago it's okay to spray paint on a gay guy's car, who knows if 10 years from now it'd be fine to eat babies? I'll just leave this at that, since I'm pretty sure everyone knows what ima going on about - context determines everything.
This is sounding dumb because you refused to admit that "the guy" in my scenario is evil, so you have to come up with your own "context" to justify his action.

Unlike you, I don't think just because you are rich and powerful mean you can go around to kill people or do evil stuff whether it is a medieval era or in the present world.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-01, 06:45   Link #963
pervypig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth View Post
This is sounding dumb because you refused to admit that "the guy" in my scenario is evil, so you have to come up with your own "context" to justify his action.

Unlike you, I don't think just because you are rich and powerful mean you can go around to kill people or do evil stuff whether it is a medieval era or in the present world.
^ meaning that you won't go around robbing the rich and beheading those in power when you are starving to an inch of your life with no hope in sight? I don't need to 'come up' with a context to justify anything. Survival instinct had always determined whatever morals a person or a society has and history is full of it.

Take one from the history of UK: Great fire of London in 1660, fire began from the kitchen of a bakery, but a lunatic confessed to it. Every single person, including the judge himself, was convinced that that guy is innocent, but they still hanged him: so that there's a scapegoat. How's your justification that 'the guy' in your scenario wasn't really framed by completely corrupt police, and you just threw stones at him like those guys in london 400 years ago?
Old 2018-10-01, 06:57   Link #964
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by pervypig View Post
^ meaning that you won't go around robbing the rich and beheading those in power when you are starving to an inch of your life with no hope in sight? I don't need to 'come up' with a context to justify anything. Survival instinct had always determined whatever morals a person or a society has and history is full of it.

Take one from the history of UK: Great fire of London in 1660, fire began from the kitchen of a bakery, but a lunatic confessed to it. Every single person, including the judge himself, was convinced that that guy is innocent, but they still hanged him: so that there's a scapegoat. How's your justification that 'the guy' in your scenario wasn't really framed by completely corrupt police, and you just threw stones at him like those guys in london 400 years ago?
I am saying raping and murdering but you have to come out with "robbing" when I said none of it in all my posts. You just have to come out with your own "context" to justify it instead of just admitting "Yes. That guy you mentioned is evil and deserved to be punished".

Why don't you go to commit a crime such as raping and murder and see whether the authority will get you arrested or not using "but..but...but...I am putting food on the table for my family" as a defense.
Old 2018-10-01, 07:14   Link #965
pervypig

^ Sure, if you want me to justify raping as well: in the most extreme of context

- world population is dying because one gender (either male or female of your choice) absolutely refuses to have sex. Artificial insemination has failed because it's rejected by the body. Guy went around raping people and killing those who won't allow him. His justification? "But I'm creating a family to put food on the table for..."

See? CONTEXT, had always been the main point, which you somehow refused to acknowledge, putting the label of 'evil' on anything and anyone because of something you reject. Even in courts of law, they don't put 'evil' on a criminal until after they convict him, and even then there's a chance that 50 years down the road they found him innocent (for some lunacy reason).

Geezus, chill alright... I'd take your side too if the guy you're talking about go around raping maids.
Old 2018-10-01, 10:21   Link #966
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Reposted, because it got burried near page end under all the endless morality stuff.

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2018-10-01, 15:49   Link #967
DemonneoPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
That doesn't explain why Ainz, despite realizing himself that he's changed, makes no effort to try to modify his behavior to something more in line to what it was
Why would he? He is an undead now, and as expected he does not feel anything when he kills people because of it. His other emotions are constantly surpressed. He lives in a world where killing is the main language. Why even bother when everything that made him human is gone? It's not even a question of bothering, he just can't. It's in his undead avatar lore. Again, only his memories from his past human life remains with him and only that prevents the apocalypse to happen in the NW. He is already doing too much given the circunstances and the reason why we can still see some funny moments in a story that had everything to be as dark as Berserk. Plus, if he was already a psychopath before being trapped in the game, then why the constant observations about he feeling nothing only after he became a skeleton? Why would he even care about his guildmates or to even socialize with them in the first place? Just because someone is not happy with his job and can't/don't want to build a family does not make the guy a monster. The anime (the LN probably does this better) mentioned a lot of times that not only Ainz's body changed. The whole point about this character is becoming an undead skeleton that assimilated the evil lore allignment from the game and be the villain (regarding the human perspective) of the story after being trapped in the MMO. For me, it was a nice way to diverge from the usual hero isekai trope. I don't see (so far) aything supporting that he was already fucked up in real life.
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-01, 17:13   Link #968
Itlandm
Porcupine

Am I the only one here who hasn't read the LN yet? Why isn't there any buzz about the title of the final episode? "Player vs Player" makes it sound like we're finally going to see another earthling, against all odds. I don't see any clue to that in the OP or ED sequences though, if not the final seconds of the ED which seems to show Ainz getting pulverized?
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-01, 22:22   Link #969
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonneoPT View Post
Why would he? He is an undead now, and as expected he does not feel anything when he kills people because of it. His other emotions are constantly surpressed.
His emotions aren't supressed, just dampened when they get too strong. We've seen him express fear, doubt, happiness, anger, the full gamut of human emotion.

Becoming an undead didn't stop him from caring about his friends, if he actually had any moral compunctions against killing, why would that get erased?

Quote:
Plus, if he was already a psychopath before being trapped in the game, then why the constant observations about he feeling nothing only after he became a skeleton?
I never said he was a sociopath. I said he had no moral issues against killing, and that he was probably apathetic towards strangers. He was simply scared of killing before and becoming an undead chaged that.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-02, 07:21   Link #970
eiyuuou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm View Post
Am I the only one here who hasn't read the LN yet? Why isn't there any buzz about the title of the final episode? "Player vs Player" makes it sound like we're finally going to see another earthling, against all odds. I don't see any clue to that in the OP or ED sequences though, if not the final seconds of the ED which seems to show Ainz getting pulverized?
Spoiler:

In S1, gazef lost to the sunlight scriptures and ainz overwhelmingly crushed them.
unless a world item is used, the "pvp" is essentially a joke.
Old 2018-10-02, 09:02   Link #971
AC-Phoenix
Detective

^
It probably will be, there are a few things you need to consider though:

a) he was heavily outnumbered
b) he didn't have ANY of the items he has at the moment
c) the Sunlight scripture was rather aware of him being there

Gazef has a surprisingly low level btw. I would have guessed he is at least as strong as Blue Rose, if not stronger.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-02, 09:24   Link #972
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
His emotions aren't supressed, just dampened when they get too strong. We've seen him express fear, doubt, happiness, anger, the full gamut of human emotion.

Becoming an undead didn't stop him from caring about his friends, if he actually had any moral compunctions against killing, why would that get erased.
Agreed. For something that supposed to be emotion-less, Ainz definitely shows a lot of emotion. He is extremely pissed off and sad when he has to kill Shalltear. This is not something undead-ish will do.
Old 2018-10-02, 10:29   Link #973
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Agreed. For something that supposed to be emotion-less, Ainz definitely shows a lot of emotion. He is extremely pissed off and sad when he has to kill Shalltear. This is not something undead-ish will do.
That's because you don't understand WHY he was upset.

Ainz is stuck with a very specific desire that survived past his transfer into an undead body. He wished for the good old days that he lost. This emotion is what keeps him going as his main motivation. Yes, he care for Shalltear, that is genuine, but it is an extension of Ainz wanting to protect the legacy of his old guild and everything and everyone in it. That was what kept him going when he was literally the only person left in the Tomb, when the Guild was a Guild in name only. He was single-handedly maintaining the Tomb's upkeep and spending all his income on it.

Ainz is not mindless, he is a Lich. And we know there was other Liches in NW who have motivations and goals. Most undead are mindless, but there is nothing unusual about major Undead Leaders who actually have free will, it is in many fantasy settings. Aniz just happens to have an extremely focused goal.
Old 2018-10-02, 10:29   Link #974
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
^
It probably will be, there are a few things you need to consider though:

a) he was heavily outnumbered
b) he didn't have ANY of the items he has at the moment
c) the Sunlight scripture was rather aware of him being there

Gazef has a surprisingly low level btw. I would have guessed he is at least as strong as Blue Rose, if not stronger.
Gazef without his epic gear, is about as strong as Hamsuke. They are both around level 30ish.

That said, the only human so far from the NW that we've seen to be stronger than him or at least at the same level was Clementine. If we're talking pure warrior types, Brain and Gagaran are close seconds at this point, but still not there yet.

Fludder is insanely powerful by NW standards too, but I personally barely count him as human because of his unnatural lifespan.
Evileye is also very powerful, if she were to go all out, I believe she'd outdo Gazef, but then again... she ain't really human.
Slane Theocracy peeps don't count... since they haven't shown their strength onscreen yet.

Of course, Yaldabaoth (whoever he is) and Momon are stronger than Gazef.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-02, 11:07   Link #975
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

So the silhouette at the end of the ED turned out to be a red herring, huh? That's too bad.

And those who are too damaged by the CGI this season... come over to watch Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken! We got beautiful 2D animations (even a Dragon doesn't need CGI!) and visual effects that Madhouse could only dream of! It also has a non-human protagonist and later on got its own fairly dark moments similar to Overlord! And the chief animation directior is Ebata, someone who's appearently very famous for his great animations!
Old 2018-10-02, 15:30   Link #976
SMT
*Artist

I personally think Ains is evil, not completely but pretty much. But that's fine, imo!
I love that, I find it rather refreshing to see.

Can't wait for his empire to progress!
Aside of the terrible CGI (CGI can be quite nice, this one wasn't though, total garbage) it was a cool season.
Enjoyable!

7.5/10
SMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-02, 15:41   Link #977
Itlandm
Porcupine

Final episode was ... surprising unsurprising? I guess using the phrase "PvP" was Ainz' way of showing respect to the dying man, although I doubt the phrase was understandable to the locals. The appearance of Momon was kind of confusing, I assume one of them was Pandora's Actor? Anyway, I guess the anime too died as it had lived, so to speak.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-02, 17:59   Link #978
DemonneoPT

Quote:

Becoming an undead didn't stop him from caring about his friends, if he actually had any moral compunctions against killing, why would that get erased?

I never said he was a sociopath. I said he had no moral issues against killing, and that he was probably apathetic towards strangers. apathetic towards strangersHe was simply scared of killing before and becoming an undead chaged that.
Quote:

I can understand at where you are getting. Since Ainz has the green aura to suppress his emotions yet it does not activate when seeing death, it's something that might give the impression he never experienced empathy before and therefore there is nothing to suppress in the first place. However, he clearly stated he was not ok with violence and killing before. So given this stated information, one must assume part of his emotions were completely erased after becoming an undead while others are still around but get suppressed once they reach abnormal levels for his race. In this way there is no contradiction, unlike your idea. Like Vallen Chaos Valiant said, Ainz is not a mindless skeleton. He is an Elder Lich so it kinda makes sense for him to experience something to a certain degree. But not caring about the mortal races is not one of those feelings, otherwise one of the main core features from the undead would be gone. Having human memories already deviates too much from what one should expect from an Elder Lich . But that was a clever way to insert some humor into the show and one of the reasons why the Overlord main characters are so funny when interacting between them.

Regarding as to why he cares so much about his friends and NPCs, well, they are his family, as stated in his avatar's background lore (similar to the way the NPCs are fully loyal to the supreme beings) since he was the one responsible for Nazarick until the end and cared for the game way more than his job or real life people. That's his goal. To lead his NPC's and Nazarick into glory and to find other players that might lead to his guildmates. This was also heavily implied in season 1. Demiurge just took this basic idea into a new level and season 3 happened.

Btw, having no moral issues against killing and being apathetic towards strangers are part of the symptons of a psychopath.
Old 2018-10-02, 19:20   Link #979
Rasty

This season was a tad weaker than previous ones I would say. The SS were strangely placed and the quality was lower in all aspects. As for the last few episodes, it was clear they were running out of budget/time. I didn't mind most of the soldier CGI (bad, but bearable, except for goblin army of course), but the "sheeps" were kinda bad and especially the sound effects for them were ridiculous (they should have at least played the sound at 0.5 speed making it sound more creepy).
Then again it is still only weaker by Overlord series standards. It's still well worth watching, 8.0 for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm View Post
The appearance of Momon was kind of confusing, I assume one of them was Pandora's Actor? Anyway, I guess the anime too died as it had lived, so to speak.
No idea how this was done in the novel, but yeah, it does not make much sense. It just reeked of a scene where Nabe was going around as Momon (WN version, got changed to make MC appear more often) and the author missed it, actually many scenes with Momon are kinda awkward and feel a bit unnatural if you know Nabe should have been him (not reading WN, just know this one fact). Especially Albedo was clearly speaking to Nabe there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
It also has a non-human protagonist and later on got its own fairly dark moments similar to Overlord!
Isn't that fairly far later on? I don't know whether the anime will make it so far.
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-02, 19:41   Link #980
DemonneoPT

Appaling CGI and directing, together with horrible pace and tons of skipped content and action just made this season even worse than the previous one. At least 16 episodes and a studio that actually knows not only how to animate stuff but also has the budget and time for it would be necessary to honor the potential this story trully have. When i read the highlights missed in each episode by the LN readers i curse myself for not enjoying books. Because it's clearly that anime is a shitty medium for the most part by just being used as stupid ads. Wasted potential at it's finest since there is demand for an actual real anime industry. Luckily, i rarely get this engaged in a LN story otherwise disappointment levels would be too much for my heart

But yeah, i hope this is the last season. I don't know if i have the courage to see more CGI bs of something that could actually be great. Just let it die Madhouse! Just like Berserk...