AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2011-09-29, 02:58   Link #1681
henwy

It's all about practicality. Which would likely cause more damage? Suffering some parental angst or being in a home without an income. Maybe an American would debate the point but it's no contest in an asian family. We haven't seen her mom do anything that would qualify as abusive, at least to my memory. The only thing I can even recall is a comment about her being an expensive child what with constantly having to buy her clothes. If she can't take off-handed griping about spending money, I find it hard to believe she's asian at all. We're almost as grumbly as Jews proverbially are when it comes to that.
henwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 07:44   Link #1682
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henwy View Post
It's all about practicality. Which would likely cause more damage? Suffering some parental angst or being in a home without an income. Maybe an American would debate the point but it's no contest in an asian family. We haven't seen her mom do anything that would qualify as abusive, at least to my memory. The only thing I can even recall is a comment about her being an expensive child what with constantly having to buy her clothes. If she can't take off-handed griping about spending money, I find it hard to believe she's asian at all. We're almost as grumbly as Jews proverbially are when it comes to that.
Practicality? The hell? I'm not saying the father is wrong for being the breadwinner, even at the cost of his family life. I'm saying Mimi's suffering from neglect, and that all her insecurities stem from there. And I'm not about to criticize her for "not being able to take it". What sense would there be in that?

It's not direct abuse. It's just disinterest. It's not about what her mother does, but about what she doesn't do. Her mother never goes to whatever it is parents are invited in school, never inquires about her grades, doesn't guide through puberty... Didn't freaking Reiji have to explain menstruation to her? How messed up is that?

Sure, there are plenty of kids who have it worse. That doesn't mean she's growing up in all that healthy an environment.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 16:31   Link #1683
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
This chapter made me go "AWWWW!!"

So sue me. I'm totally for ReijixMimi now.
Old 2011-10-02, 18:29   Link #1684
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's not direct abuse. It's just disinterest. It's not about what her mother does, but about what she doesn't do. Her mother never goes to whatever it is parents are invited in school, never inquires about her grades, doesn't guide through puberty... Didn't freaking Reiji have to explain menstruation to her? How messed up is that?

Sure, there are plenty of kids who have it worse. That doesn't mean she's growing up in all that healthy an environment.

Thank You! I've been saying this for the longest but m words always seem to fall on deaf ear!

Mimi's mother has been nothing but a grade A bitch to her only daughter just because she's an inconvenience and no one seems to see anything wrong with that?
Old 2011-10-02, 18:41   Link #1685
Chiibi

I'll put my two cents in about Mimi's mum:

She sucks.

lol

It's not physical or mental abuse but it's neglectful and that's just as terrible...if not worse.
Old 2011-10-02, 23:37   Link #1686
henwy

You would need something far more explicit for it to be neglect. Then again, maybe it's simply a cultural difference and we're never going to see eye to eye on it. My parents never went to school events (neither did any other asian parents of asian friends). We also got the birds and the bees through school and friends. I never got 'the talk' and neither did either of my sisters. Not to mention, it wouldn't be odd for anyone to not think someone of mimi's age is at the menstruating age. The average age in Japan is a little more than 12 and a half. She's what, 10? I think this is just another case where you're reading more into it because the only lens we have is through mimi's skewed perceptions.
Old 2011-10-03, 03:11   Link #1687
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

She is twelve, soon to be 13.
Old 2011-10-03, 06:45   Link #1688
Dark Wing

Quote:
You would need something far more explicit for it to be neglect. Then again, maybe it's simply a cultural difference and we're never going to see eye to eye on it. My parents never went to school events (neither did any other asian parents of asian friends). We also got the birds and the bees through school and friends. I never got 'the talk' and neither did either of my sisters. Not to mention, it wouldn't be odd for anyone to not think someone of mimi's age is at the menstruating age. The average age in Japan is a little more than 12 and a half. She's what, 10? I think this is just another case where you're reading more into it because the only lens we have is through mimi's skewed perceptions.
If my 12 year old daughter came to me and told me someone was trying to feel her up while riding public transportation I'd show a bit more concern. Wouldn't you?

This is her only daughter and she seem to either ignoring if not out right denying any maternal connection to her. Their is really something wrong there.
Old 2011-10-03, 07:07   Link #1689
henwy

Maybe my sense of the timeline is off, but I thought it was around a year ago that she had her first period. Not to mention...as 6th graders...shouldn't they be 11 at most?

And as for the groper thing, I dunno. This is Japan we're talking about and the whole subway groper chikan thing was a present but ignored part of life for decades. It took quite a bit from what I know to change perceptions about it so it was dragged into the light. Compare that to the US where a single incident would probably spawn a freaking amber alert right off the bat and mr freako would get vanned so fast it'd make his head spin.
Old 2011-10-03, 13:21   Link #1690
Chiibi

Quote:
You would need something far more explicit for it to be neglect.
Her mother practically IGNORES her, aside from feeding her and housing her.

I call that "neglect". You don't have a child and treat her as a household chore. She needs love.
Old 2011-10-28, 03:26   Link #1691
ShiroiRyu

Big breasts = Airhead.
But hey ... What a pair ! \o/
ShiroiRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-28, 15:21   Link #1692
User68604
Disabled By Request

wooooot awesome chapter

rin time = happy time
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-28, 15:25   Link #1693
Shadow5YA

Looks like Rin finally got the lip kiss she wanted from Aoki.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-28, 20:56   Link #1694
henwy

He's just lucky he's in Japan. In the US, he would have been vanned already
Old 2011-10-28, 21:09   Link #1695
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Quote:
He's just lucky he's in Japan. In the US, he would have been vanned already
actually nowadays in japan talking to a minor will get you in trouble, i think the case here is that people probably took this as a child prank.
Old 2011-10-28, 22:23   Link #1696
TakezoMusashi

Or since most of the kids there know about how Rin feels, since shes always been really open about it, they just saw this as more of the same and made nothing of it.
TakezoMusashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-28, 22:36   Link #1697
henwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
actually nowadays in japan talking to a minor will get you in trouble, i think the case here is that people probably took this as a child prank.
The police usually just talk to you sternly and you grovel a little and that's it. It's only like a 50-50 chance whether you even get prosecuted there for having sex with a student. Half the time all that happens is the principal, superintendent, and everyone else involves does the apology/grovel thing and the perp fades into the murky twilight.
Old 2011-10-30, 18:35   Link #1698
jigenbakuda
Kazumi sure is cute...

Oh watashiya how I love you... just dying to give me the fanservice I want! Epic chapter because of bewbz.

And looks like shiro-chan is getting that fatty from oyjima. Not sure if you know how huge a balogne sausage is... but homeboy is packing, our male boin-sensei.

And I'm loving rin's guts. She is making me jealous, I wish I was that ballsy. In the face of the man she loves, even after many semi-rejections, her unrequited love still has such a flame to it... the power of youth perhaps??? Now in the same situation we can see the difference in usa-chn and rin. Rin is trying with all her heart to reach out to the man she loves... this really is such a great love story... kojika is under-rated... I'm ready for whatever ride you wish to take me on watashiya with this story... I am so interested in this story... what will become of rin, who pursues her interests so blindly...

Edit: Forgot to mention the hilarious penis mushrooms, lol.

If one sets a trap, isn't it the victim's fault for falling in?

Last edited by jigenbakuda; 2011-10-30 at 19:06.
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 19:50   Link #1699
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigenbakuda View Post
Oh watashiya how I love you... just dying to give me the fanservice I want! Epic chapter because of bewbz.

And looks like shiro-chan is getting that fatty from oyjima. Not sure if you know how huge a balogne sausage is... but homeboy is packing, our male boin-sensei.

And I'm loving rin's guts. She is making me jealous, I wish I was that ballsy. In the face of the man she loves, even after many semi-rejections, her unrequited love still has such a flame to it... the power of youth perhaps??? Now in the same situation we can see the difference in usa-chn and rin. Rin is trying with all her heart to reach out to the man she loves... this really is such a great love story... kojika is under-rated... I'm ready for whatever ride you wish to take me on watashiya with this story... I am so interested in this story... what will become of rin, who pursues her interests so blindly...

Edit: Forgot to mention the hilarious penis mushrooms, lol.
That flame was about to go out, until Aoki made his speech.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 09:54   Link #1700
Dark Wing

I'm a little late on replaying her because I been wathcing Steins;Gate for the last few days...

Anyway interesting chapter not much on the development front but still a good read.

It also brought up a interesting and I feel sad that shiro-chan doesn't think she's going to be a good parent or not. How one was raised shouldn't define how their own children are raised.

Tags
comedy, growing up, loli, school life, seinen