AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-09, 04:26   Link #321
Zantetsuken

Who said it's 100% HaruKyon? The fact is there is a chance of YukiKyon too.
Old 2009-08-09, 04:26   Link #322
Nudvik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
First, nothing in the anime counts as canon, whatsoever. Tanigawa had little to do with it except write the script for Someday in the Rain.
Honestly, this is a completely absurd statement. You're basically vetoing everything contained in an anime as non-canon because the author didn't do every single thing himself. Despite it being an almost completely faithful adaptation?!

Quote:
And, like I said, he does it simply to mess with Kyon because of how homophobic Kyon is. I sometimes do the same things to my friends, and I'm pretty straight.

For that matter... Disappearance Koizumi displays no homosexual behaviour whatsoever. He's completely devoted to Haruhi.

So Koizumi is either simply only gay for Kyon, or just messing with him, and I think the latter.
I disagree. I think the idea that his entire persona is constructed simply to mess with Kyon is more than slightly unlikely.

Quote:
...Haruhi-chan was originally a gag 4koma written and drawn by an artist named Puyo. KyoAni added next to nothing into their adaptation of it.

You did know this, right?
No, I really didn't. I was under the impression that this was a commissioned side-project by KS, to promote the imminent relaunch of the franchise. Perhaps I succumbed to wishful thinking, however everything in that series IS an exaggeration of unresolved issues in the novel series. Nobody could seriously claim that Tsuruya isn't much more involved than she first appears to be, especially considering Itsuki's early comment about how her family was connected closely to the Organisation, but had some rather fundamental disagreements over how they should proceed.
That said, I also thought that nobody could seriously doubt that Itsuki had a romantic interest in Kyon, so there you go!
Old 2009-08-09, 04:28   Link #323
User89254
Disabled By Request

Haha. I start him off with being a slave to Haruhi, and finally seeing the light that supernatural things don't exist, and actually meeting them, and hardening up, with Sasaki's literality contributing to this. xD

As for shippings, some people said that there was a 100% chance of HaruKyon happening before I posted. I'm a YukiKyon fan myself, although generally not as intense as I feel right now. xD
Old 2009-08-09, 04:31   Link #324
Zantetsuken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudvik View Post
Honestly, this is a completely absurd statement. You're basically vetoing everything contained in an anime as non-canon because the author didn't do every single thing himself. Despite it being an almost completely faithful adaptation?!
Note the almost.

Because SitR is written by Tanigawa, do you count it cannon?
Old 2009-08-09, 04:32   Link #325
User89254
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantetsuken View Post
Note the almost.

Because SitR is written by Tanigawa, do you count it cannon?
Someday in the Rain was actually made into a prose form after the episode was created. Hence making it canon.
Old 2009-08-09, 04:32   Link #326
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Anime-canon and novel-canon are different, and novel-canon is what I'm referring to here.

Again, the author had little to do with the adaptation as a whole.

Adaptations, by default, are non-canon compared to the original work.

Quote:
Perhaps I succumbed to wishful thinking, however everything in that series IS an exaggeration of unresolved issues in the novel series.
Yes, because it's all based off of fan-theorizing. Nothing in that series can be taken as canon whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsterSelene View Post
Haha. I start him off with being a slave to Haruhi, and finally seeing the light that supernatural things don't exist, and actually meeting them, and hardening up, with Sasaki's literality contributing to this. xD
...Why does he sound like Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko...?
Old 2009-08-09, 04:33   Link #327
Nudvik

No, I count it as canon because it's a very faithful adaptation that captures the essence of the novels almost perfectly.
Old 2009-08-09, 04:33   Link #328
Zantetsuken

Quote:
Someday in the Rain was actually made into a prose form after the episode was created. Hence making it canon.
What? Where?
Old 2009-08-09, 04:34   Link #329
User89254
Disabled By Request

In The Sneaker magazine, where the Haruhi novels were originally located, Someday in the Rain was made into prose. Unfortunately it hasn't been translated, but it does exist.

Umineko? Never heard of it. But he's pretty sarcastic now...Wait until he meets the Brigade. xD

EDIT: Someday in the Rain was in the August 2006 edition.
Old 2009-08-09, 04:34   Link #330
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I don't know how that worked though.

But yeah, anything written by Tanigawa = canon. Anything not written by him = not canon.

Quote:
No, I count it as canon because it's a very faithful adaptation that captures the essence of the novels almost perfectly.
It still has story differences.

Endless Eight's numbering being one, the lack of alcohol in Lone Island another...

Quote:
Umineko? Never heard of it. But he's pretty sarcastic now...Wait until he meets the Brigade. xD
Unfortunate. And the real brigade, or the Anti-SOS?

I find the latter slightly more interesting at this point, so...
Old 2009-08-09, 04:36   Link #331
User89254
Disabled By Request

You're right - how do you record 20 minutes of Yuki reading in prose? O.o

Also Day of Sagittarius. It had teleportation in the original. And ENOZ's existence. And the mole. What the hell was that supposed to mean?

EDIT: The real brigade, there is a slight series of events started by Kyon that inadvertedly triggers the SOS Brigade formed without his presence. But the Anti-SOS dan exists too in the fic. *shrug*
Old 2009-08-09, 04:37   Link #332
Zantetsuken

And the added cliff fall in LI too
Old 2009-08-09, 04:37   Link #333
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
What the hell was that supposed to mean?
That KyoAni loves screwing with us.

Quote:
EDIT: The real brigade, there is a slight series of events started by Kyon that inadvertedly triggers the SOS Brigade formed without his presence. But the Anti-SOS dan exists too in the fic. *shrug*
Bah. Shoving the Anti-SOS and Sasaki into North High instead of the SOS and Haruhi would be cooler.

Not knocking on your fic here, just saying... although, I'm beginning to get ideas of my own, ohoho~. Thank you.
Old 2009-08-09, 04:37   Link #334
Nudvik

Quote:
Endless Eight's numbering being one, the lack of alcohol in Lone Island another...
That's some quite incredible nitpicking. EE is the only example of a significant deviation from novel canon. Lack of Haruhi getting drunk is just an annoying example of conservatism in television.

[edit]Ohh yeah, there's the falling off the cliff scene too. I really need to learn how to use these damn boards... It's such a pain in the ass trying to quote multiple people.
Old 2009-08-09, 04:38   Link #335
User89254
Disabled By Request

Quote:
That KyoAni loves screwing with us.
True, true. I almost fainted with 8 episodes of Endless Eight.

By the way, do you think next episode will be Sighs? Or will they skip the arc and use 5 eps for Shoushitsu?

Quote:
Bah. Shoving the Anti-SOS and Sasaki into North High instead of the SOS and Haruhi would be cooler.

Not knocking on your fic here, just saying...
It's fine. *desu* Actually Sasaki and co. don't go to North High, it's the unnamed school she goes to in the novels...Kyon is the only one to experience a school change.
Old 2009-08-09, 04:41   Link #336
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Do we have enough information to put the Anti-SOS and Sasaki into North High (or wherever) as the main group?
Old 2009-08-09, 04:42   Link #337
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
That's some quite incredible nitpicking. EE is the only example of a significant deviation from novel canon. Lack of Haruhi getting drunk is just an annoying example of conservatism in television.

[edit]Ohh yeah, there's the falling off the cliff scene too. I really need to learn how to use these damn boards... It's such a pain in the ass trying to quote multiple people.
It. Still. Isn't. Novel. Canon. Which. Is. My. Point.

Quote:
By the way, do you think next episode will be Sighs? Or will they skip the arc and use 5 eps for Shoushitsu?
DVD numbers suggest NOT Disappearance... so next week with either be Sighs or that sports day as an anime-original.

Quote:
It's fine. *desu* Actually Sasaki and co. don't go to North High, it's the unnamed school she goes to in the novels...Kyon is the only one to experience a school change.
Ah, right. Makes sense.

...I'm stealing this idea, if you're fine with that, by the way. The crew over in Seitenkan, myself included, can probably use it for something interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Do we have enough information to put the Anti-SOS and Sasaki into North High (or wherever) as the main group?
Everyone but Sasaki is a distinct archetype, so they're fairly easy to work with. I can see it.
Old 2009-08-09, 04:42   Link #338
User89254
Disabled By Request

No, we don't. This is where *creativity* comes in.

And an attempt not to be OOC.
Old 2009-08-09, 04:43   Link #339
User89254
Disabled By Request

Quote:

DVD numbers suggest NOT Disappearance... so next week with either be Sighs or that sports day as an anime-original.
But but but but but all of the advertising was on Disappearance.

Quote:

Ah, right. Makes sense.

...I'm stealing this idea, if you're fine with that, by the way. The crew over in Seitenkan, myself included, can probably use it for something interesting.
Go right ahead!
Old 2009-08-09, 04:44   Link #340
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Your canon debate reminds me of all those Star Wars debates on levels of canon.

It doesn't matter at this point. Seriously, it doesn't.