AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Sword Art Online - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 101 43.35%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 62 26.61%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 43 18.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 7.30%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.72%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.29%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.29%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-07, 20:50   Link #161
Fallen3dge
Darkest Light

good first episode. builds up some suspense for next episode. For the LN readers especially
Fallen3dge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 20:51   Link #162
sky black swordman

I few things are different but over all I LOVE THE FIRST EPISODE!
I cant wait for the next one!?
Old 2012-07-07, 20:53   Link #163
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunzblitz View Post
I guess so. I was expecting the tension to just suddenly pop out when Kayaba introduced the tutorial. But by going from ep1's direction it does a good job of building the tension.

Spoiler for Does this count as LN spoiler?:
No, it was all set up the moment those 10k hopefuls logged in for the very first time by the creator. Since Kirito was busy helping Klein with the game itself, it's safe to say that the others were having the same problem, but the creator wanted to makes sure that the people who are logged were aware of that just so he can address the issue himself in a trollish and cryptic fashion. Remember he did say that it was part of the SAO system afte rall and the deaths of the people who were "forced" to log out were one of the definite proves of his intentions.

Last edited by Kirito; 2012-07-07 at 21:12.
Kirito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 21:23   Link #164
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Upon hearing that this show was supposed to be a BFD a couple of months ago, I went into information-blackout mode. I came in with two pieces of information, specifically: 1) The title and 2) that the action apparently takes place within an MMO. So I was pretty delighted by the whole thing.

Some very liberal suspension of disbelief is required in order to accept that something so utterly insane could be allowed to happen in a functioning society, but I trust that all of the details of how this lunatic could possibly have pulled off something so ridiculously impossible will be revealed of in due time. For now, I'll just repeat the MST3K mantra, and enjoy the survival game.

I really enjoy that there's no magic (as such) present in the game. It's devious, in retrospect. No fireball-throwing at hapless bear cubs, no goofy folding your hands to send panacea-sparkles into your disemboweled buddy to get him up and dancing again. Just you, a blade, and all the leather you can skin vs. the world. That's one serious enforced hardcore rule set.

I think we're going to continue to see that "/who all" list shrink at breakneck speed until it gets to the point where encountering other adventuring parties will be a rare and tense occurrence, and completing the game will fall to the core cast. MC seems to think things are going to get kind of competitive, so I'm betting at least a few of the other players will become just as dangerous if not more so than whatever the twisted GM has in store.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 21:32   Link #165
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I'm not sure how you jumped from "game designer who did this" = "safe public game under legal standards", because I'm wondering how it could have been considered safe to the public in the first place if it was able to cause such damage in the first place. Whoever decided that it was okay to sell this to the public is gonna get fried for being irresponsible.
Then alcohol, tobacco and several products related to leisure are regulated and allowed by law.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 21:49   Link #166
SABER60069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Mobs do respawn, it's just that 10,000 players is far too many for a single area, and it will make grinding very difficult for all of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lansglenn View Post
Mobs do respawn (I think?). Players don't respawn.

I agree that if this was a real life situation inside of a MMORPG, it would take some incredible feat to pull off beating the game w/o dying.

What I think works in the players' advantage is maybe that you can out-level the content therefore everything's easier, and that you can have no limit on the size of the raid party in an encounter.
Kirito said resources are limited and the mobs in the starting area will soon be all hunted that's why he wanted to move to the next village ASAP

This makes me believe mobs are limited resources
SABER60069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 21:54   Link #167
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABER60069 View Post
Kirito said resources are limited and the mobs in the starting area will soon be all hunted that's why he wanted to move to the next village ASAP

No, resources in all MMOs are limited, otherwise the in-game economy would be non-existent. That being said, resources are limited in MMOs by respawn rate, rather than like in real life where the amount of resources are finite.

It's common knowledge for anyone who's ever played a MMO tbh.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 21:58   Link #168
Somnus
Eh?

Quote:

Nah, it's just a simple difference in numbers.

A beginner area means there can't be too many mobs (if at all). so let's say there's 500-1000 monsters in the immediate area. Now put that against 10,000 people vying for experience. Add in that it would take 20ish kills just to get to level 2 (progressively increasing that number per level gained). Usually you don't end up leaving those areas until 10ish.

Basic as it may be, this is essentially the problem with the first area. Even with a lightspeed respawn rate, it wouldn't accommodate everyone. Best case, some people decide against fighting or wait it out, and everything gets solved in time. Worst case, people start killing other people to make it less crowded.
Old 2012-07-07, 22:23   Link #169
SABER60069

Then it doesn't make sense why Kirito wanted to head to the next area ASAP since the creator never gave a time limit I don't see why he can't relax and level up slowly, it only make sense if he doesn't go now he could possibly never get a chance to level up.

Resources are pretty much unlimited in MMOs, I have yet to seen anything that cannot be acquired again given enough time be it experience or item or gold. The economy in MMOs holds itself together if everyone is rich then price goes up and if everyone is poor then price goes down.
SABER60069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 22:25   Link #170
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post

And Kirito... from manly looking avatar to girly-looking face .____.
He's CUTE! D:

I don't think Kirito's girly-looking...he just looks like a little boy. No complaints here.

*shot*

And I like his seiyuu too.

LOVE the ending song. Or is it the opening song? I'm shipping him with the girl already. It was a pity we didn't get to see her yet.

The story really reminds me of .hack//sign....but I definitely think SAO is going to be a lot better. The first twelve eps of the former were painfully sloooooow.
Old 2012-07-07, 22:26   Link #171
lansglenn

Quote:
Then it doesn't make sense why Kirito wanted to head to the next area ASAP since the creator never gave a time limit I don't see why he can't relax and level up slowly, it only make sense if he doesn't go now he could possibly never get a chance to level up.

Resources are pretty much unlimited in MMOs, I have yet to seen anything that cannot be acquired again given enough time be it experience or item or gold. The economy in MMOs holds itself together if everyone is rich then price goes up and if everyone is poor then price goes down.
This is precisely the thought process that separates a normal player and a progression raider. To Kirito, there really isn't a choice of staying or leaving.
Old 2012-07-07, 22:36   Link #172
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Until you add in the fact that the game is open PVP everywhere outside of the towns, and that you lose your life when you die. There are definite advantage to being in the top bracket.

Quote:
Only the player-driven part of the economy would be affected by inflation. As SAO's economic system was never explained, there's no way to know for sure.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 22:36   Link #173
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
I feel that if the machine was designed to be able to produce microwaves or any harmful thing, it would be possible to detect it.
At least to my knowledge, if my DS was hacked, it could never produce microwaves to barbeque my brain.
Can your DS read your mind and intercept nerve signals from your brain? I can accept that the brain/computer interface uses some technology that appears innocuous but can be hacked to be lethal.

Quote:
I'm not sure how you jumped from "game designer who did this" = "safe public game under legal standards", because I'm wondering how it could have been considered safe to the public in the first place if it was able to cause such damage in the first place. Whoever decided that it was okay to sell this to the public is gonna get fried for being irresponsible.
Is there any agency that's actually responsible for certifying NervGear is safe for human use?
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 22:43   Link #174
Hmm....

Quote:

I'm sure there are players who think like you, actually majority of them. And they will people who think like Kirito that need to rush out and out level everyone. This is what seperate MMO Addict and casual player from each other.
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 22:44   Link #175
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Really enjoyed the first episode. So far I think it's really shaping up to be a great series.

Plus I saw Asuna so it's already the best thing I've watched for months. XD

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 22:50   Link #176
dark998

Honestly it was a nice first episode, with lots of info and not so much action pretty much like a true video game tutorial. But the potential to turn into something fantastic later is there. No complaints about character design, music or animation either. Great OP video for a great OP song, especially from the chorus onwards.

One slightly bad thing is that no chance in hell the whole journey through the 100 floors will be shown on-screen. Would be neat but it is simply impossible with a 24-26 episode format, no idea if the light novel actually shows the whole dungeon (probably not).
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 23:12   Link #177
Goddess Madoka
Goddess

[mod edit: removed spoiler]

Which also reminds me...
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BrainGate

...only a decade left. I'll see y'all in "Shield" Art Online, kay?

PS: I know the original VN mentioned of 10 000 players, but I read that the anime actually jacked that number up to 100 000? (Yes, I know that Klein mentioned 10 000 copies.) Can anyone confirm?

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-08 at 00:56. Reason: no novel hints/spoilers
Goddess Madoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 23:22   Link #178
king12354

Won't an EMP be an easy solution to end this? Not to mention the massive manhunt for the creator of the game. Or outsiders hacking into the server to break the game. But of course there wouldn't be a story then.
king12354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 23:30   Link #179
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by king12354 View Post
Won't an EMP be an easy solution to end this? Not to mention the massive manhunt for the creator of the game. Or outsiders hacking into the server to break the game. But of course there wouldn't be a story then.
Nice try, but EMPs have no effect on batteries.
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 23:31   Link #180
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
I feel that if the machine was designed to be able to produce microwaves or any harmful thing, it would be possible to detect it.
At least to my knowledge, if my DS was hacked, it could never produce microwaves to barbeque my brain.
Your DS isnt directly resting on your brain and directly manulating your senses.

All electronic items give off microwaves in varying degrees - what did you think that whole cellphone EM radiation scare a few years back was, if not leaked microwaves? Hell, you don't need a microwave transmitter - a short circuit would be good enough to kill the user.

Quote:
Have you totally forgotten the Hot Coffee mod for San Andreas? Totally slipped past the ESRB, until modders found dummied out content and enabled it.

Besides from all things, it appears that this is something Kayaba disguised and inserted into the NervGear, and it works because it repurposes an existing function of the device.

Edit: regards EMP, you're risking a massive electromagnetic pulse that will burn out the electronicsnof a helmet connected to someone's head. I hope you can see the problem with that.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sci-fi, shonen