AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2012-06-23, 23:58   Link #121
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Hey everyone, so I'd like your experienced opinions here. My AKG K701s were really nice and I loved the sound on them, but the build quality was not fantastic. As such, a small crack appeared in the protection around the wires, and even though I tried to tape it shut, the wires inside have been damaged. Not only that, but the little plastic bits holding together the elastics are broken as well. I don't mistreat my stuff, and this all happened through standard use, so I'm a little disappointed (especially considering how expensive these were!).

So after my upcoming trip I'm planning to get a new pair and would like your opinions on something great around that price range of around $250-300. The music I listen to is a mix of classic rock and J-pop/J-Rock, so having something like "Beats" with emphasis on bass is not something for me (I've tried a pair myself, didn't prefer it). What I'd really like to look into is a pair of Sennheiser over-the-ear headphones for that price. Personally, I would prefer a pair that doesn't leak sound everywhere like the AKGs did, but if the tradeoff for better sound is that it does, then I have no problem with it.

Naturally, I'd like something that's comfortable for elongated use, with the best sound possible. Oh, and one other thing. I'd like something that's dedicated to "at home use" as opposed to "studio use". Basically at the least, I'd like the cable to end in an 1/8 3.5mm plug for standard use in a laptop. The AKGs had a big fat adapter that stuck out so far that I actually bumped my leg into it standing up and wrecked my last laptop's audio port. Also, the adapters are flimsy and once they're bent, they're useless. I'd prefer to not use them at all.

Thanks for your input.

P.S. My guitar amp has a headphone out (1/8 3.5mm out), so a pair that balances sounds for that alongside a standard player would be nice.
Old 2012-06-24, 00:42   Link #122
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Ultimately, you need to try a pair of headphones if you're going to spend that kind of money on them, which means you go see what Sennheisers fall into that price range and then either find them at your local retail store to try out, or order through a retailer that lets you return opened items. Maybe Amazon?

That said, there's really only one pair of Sennheisers that falls in your price range worth looking at (the rest are more esoteric models for more niche usage), imo:

The HD 598. An excellent pair of headphones, but they definitely have sound leakage, which is something you can't get away from by their very design. It also will require you to use an adapter. If that's a no-go, you're going to have trouble finding a pair of Sennheisers close to your price range. On a possibly unrelated note, I personally dislike the look, but can't deny the sound.

Lastly, if you're going to spend a couple hundred dollars on a pair of headphones, I'd suggest buying/using an amp.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 03:09   Link #123
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Ultimately, you need to try a pair of headphones if you're going to spend that kind of money on them, which means you go see what Sennheisers fall into that price range and then either find them at your local retail store to try out, or order through a retailer that lets you return opened items. Maybe Amazon?

That said, there's really only one pair of Sennheisers that falls in your price range worth looking at (the rest are more esoteric models for more niche usage), imo:

The HD 598. An excellent pair of headphones, but they definitely have sound leakage, which is something you can't get away from by their very design. It also will require you to use an adapter. If that's a no-go, you're going to have trouble finding a pair of Sennheisers close to your price range. On a possibly unrelated note, I personally dislike the look, but can't deny the sound.

Lastly, if you're going to spend a couple hundred dollars on a pair of headphones, I'd suggest buying/using an amp.
Many thanks for the detailed info. The little things I mentioned weren't really "no-go" things, it's just preference with a couple bad experiences behind them. I don't mind the adapter; I WILL try and find one that doesn't jut out and cause risk to my new lappy.

Aside from that, I'll look into a headphone amp (it's about time I got a proper one) and those headphones. Thanks for the tip.
Old 2012-06-25, 15:14   Link #124
Ryuudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHige View Post
I finally got a pair of decent cans:

Worth EVERY penny.
+1

I own these.
Ryuudou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 15:27   Link #125
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Hey everyone, so I'd like your experienced opinions here. My AKG K701s were really nice and I loved the sound on them, but the build quality was not fantastic. As such, a small crack appeared in the protection around the wires, and even though I tried to tape it shut, the wires inside have been damaged. Not only that, but the little plastic bits holding together the elastics are broken as well. I don't mistreat my stuff, and this all happened through standard use, so I'm a little disappointed (especially considering how expensive these were!).

So after my upcoming trip I'm planning to get a new pair and would like your opinions on something great around that price range of around $250-300. The music I listen to is a mix of classic rock and J-pop/J-Rock, so having something like "Beats" with emphasis on bass is not something for me (I've tried a pair myself, didn't prefer it). What I'd really like to look into is a pair of Sennheiser over-the-ear headphones for that price. Personally, I would prefer a pair that doesn't leak sound everywhere like the AKGs did, but if the tradeoff for better sound is that it does, then I have no problem with it.

Thanks for your input.

P.S. My guitar amp has a headphone out (1/8 3.5mm out), so a pair that balances sounds for that alongside a standard player would be nice.
I actually don't recommend the sennheiser headphones if you really liked the k701.
I have both the akg k701 and sennheiser hd600 at home and they have a very different sound signatures.
After having owned a few sennheiser headphones and IEM's i can say that they tend to sound darker and more bassy than most akg headphones.

Personally i like the hd600 better though, because it sounds more analytical but it seemed you like the more "fun" akg k701.

As for your question about closed or open headphones: what are you going to do with them? Indoor or outdoor usage, studio or just casually in home usage etc.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 17:22   Link #126
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

^^ the k701s are analytical and the hd600 slightly smooth things over.

but anywho, if you plan on spending 300 bucks on headphones, i would buy a $200 headphone amp and $100 headphones.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 19:21   Link #127
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
^^ the k701s are analytical and the hd600 slightly smooth things over.

but anywho, if you plan on spending 300 bucks on headphones, i would buy a $200 headphone amp and $100 headphones.
I find the hd600 slightly more analytical because it has a more neutral sound signature and it can present the mids and highs very well (eventhough it has more bass than the akg k701 which little bass, so i can understand why people say that the k701 is more analytical)
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 21:52   Link #128
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Thanks for the suggestions. Let's say I theoretically had about $400 to work with, what would a good headphone amp+stereo headphone combination be?

Since we're talking theoretically, you could negate all of the things I mentioned before.
Old 2012-06-30, 17:29   Link #129
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

well if you need a headphone amp, it also depends on what kind of headphone amp you want

check this out
http://www.head-fi.org/products/cate...one-amplifiers
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 13:36   Link #130
Haikea

I'm using Grado SR-80 with Asus Xonar Essence STX. This combination suppose to be unmatched with high frequency sounds (mostly rock music) until you start to spend like 500 euros or more for audio playback setup. This impression I have got when browsing some audio forums. Those headphones are not designed for comfort, if you use bowl pads because those pads have sound quality priority.
Old 2012-07-06, 13:53   Link #131
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haikea View Post
I'm using Grado SR-80 with Asus Xonar Essence STX. This combination suppose to be unmatched with high frequency sounds (mostly rock music) until you start to spend like 500 euros or more for audio playback setup. This impression I have got when browsing some audio forums. Those headphones are not designed for comfort, if you use bowl pads because those pads have sound quality priority.
interesting sound card!
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 14:21   Link #132
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

My Sennheiser HD598s arrived in the mail today, and I have to say that it's quite a piece of work. Unlike the K701s that required a good number of hours to break in, these sound top-notch right out of the box. I'd definitely respect that it can get better than this as it goes on as well.

They leak sound sure, but it's about the same as my K701s, which never caused a big problem. These also feel a lot more comfortable than the K701s, in my opinion. They sure as hell don't dig large grooves into my scalp if I wear them for like an hour. I also like how it has a detachable cable, so if what happened to my K701s occurs here, it's a simple matter of getting a new cable- an inexpensive fix.

While I'm already very satisfied with the well-rounded sounds, I believe I'll search for a decent headphone amp once my wallet bulks back up a bit. For now, these headphones sound fantastic enough on full volume.
Old 2012-08-16, 03:51   Link #133
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Finally got a nice Fiio E10 to properly power my new Senns. It certainly powers them heavily, and I can't really handle them on full volume for long. Still, it's nice to have a dial so I can finally have some proper backbone to my songs.
Old 2012-09-10, 21:34   Link #134
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

Not one to care bout my headphones (headset) but I'm using a pretty bad one, Soundblaster Tactics 3D alpha
Old 2012-09-11, 23:24   Link #135
vayu

any suggestion for a relatively inexpensive set of headphones with noise cancellation as a priority?
vayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 18:49   Link #136
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

If you are using it to listen to songs/movies but need noise cancellation, try Polaroid headphones. The earbuds on them provide great noise cancellation and good sound at an inexpensive cost.
Old 2012-09-20, 03:35   Link #137
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

This is awesome. Anyone gave this a try yet? I'm tempted
Old 2012-09-20, 18:37   Link #138
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Open query: has anyone else owned Skull Candy headphones? In past experience, I've found that they tend to break about a year after being bought and used.
Old 2012-09-21, 23:31   Link #139
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
Open query: has anyone else owned Skull Candy headphones? In past experience, I've found that they tend to break about a year after being bought and used.
Skullcandy in my experience are pretty durable, but if you're spending that much and going for sound quality, definitely go for something else.
Old 2013-01-14, 11:43   Link #140
takai
Easy Muffin

I've got a pair of black Beats by Dre, which I usually use due to how loud they can get.

I also have AKG K240's. I love the way they look and sound, I just wish they were louder.

takai is offline   Reply With Quote