AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valvrave the Liberator

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-20, 04:03   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Valvrave the Liberator - Character Discussion - Sashinami Shouko

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Sashinami Shouko related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Valvrave the Liberator fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2013-05-20, 09:05   Link #2
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I can certainly believe she is the daughter of a president/prime minster or whatever her father does for a living. Even if the show decided in presenting it in a somewhat absurd manner, she does have a lot of charisma and natural leadership qualities that makes her able to take hold of any situation despite how bad it might get. She really is the one who managed to create a sense of solidarity among the student body and from the looks of it the one that keeps everyone (in particular Haruto and going by last episode Saki now) in check.

The way I see it, Shouko ended up becoming the de facto driving force behind the series and the main motivational source for the cast, and her presence to the VVV pilots seems to be the thing that gives them the strength to succeed in front of unfavourable odds. After Haruto and Saki's turn around when they thought that it was over it's hard to argue otherwise.

I imagine that in the possibility she does die or is separated from the rest of the cast there will be a huge hole left in their lives. Not only do I imagine things falling apart with everyone turning against each other, but also the end of Haruto's willingness to fight and be able to remain stable.

Mind you, she is still something of a weirdo. I get what she did with trying to strip in order to prove her story to the SC (since she had no hard facts to back her statement, she was willing to do what it took to show she was telling the truth, even if it was insane) though there could have been other ways to prove what she was saying without resorting to such an extreme. Then again, maybe the point was because it was extreme that she need to do it ...
Old 2013-05-20, 11:11   Link #3
Destined_Fate

Eh... I'm betting that she lives but something will happen that will cause her to be out of picture again for awhile as far as Haruto knows. That way Haruto can learn to grow on his own without having to rely on Shoko for a period of time since as we've seen that he was quite suicidal when he didn't have Shoko in his life at the start of the anime.

Her going to such extremes such as stripping makes sense as she didn't have time to explain herself and she needed them to believe her right that second. It ended up working though so no harm no foul.

A reoccurring theme of her character is that when she wants to do something big/crazy/important she has a tell where she tugs at her skirt until she's resolved to do it.

Last edited by Destined_Fate; 2013-05-20 at 12:28.
Old 2013-05-20, 12:01   Link #4
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Why does Shouko gets the biggest picture?
Old 2013-05-20, 12:28   Link #5
Destined_Fate

I doubt they're playing favoritism, it just ended up this way.

Besides, Shoko is adorable in that picture.
Old 2013-05-20, 13:32   Link #6
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

My favorite character of the series. She's very full of justice, is righteous, has gorgeous designs (even with her futuristically performed hairclips), is actually very smart (unlike some people said), everything are good for her. I really hope she's wouldn't die again, and want her to end up with her beloved Haruto!
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2013-05-20, 13:53   Link #7
Entravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
Best girl.
Old 2013-05-20, 14:51   Link #8
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entravity View Post
Best girl.
This guy knows, so I'll give some props, although I consider the females characters of this anime to be drop dead gorgeous.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2013-05-20, 14:55   Link #9
bigdeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
Because Queen Shouko is the best :P

I actually wish the anime clarified if her father is the president or prime minister. I do wonder if her parentage will end up playing a more important role in the anime.

Since Shouko doesn't seem to be a pilot I wonder what her role will be? I thought she would be taking a leadership role but a teacher seem to have been appointed leader.

Last edited by bigdeath; 2013-05-20 at 15:14.
Old 2013-05-20, 16:52   Link #10
Xion Valkyrie

What if Shouko was just acting stupid but in reality she's part of the Facility and is masterminding everything behind the current events.
Old 2013-05-20, 17:21   Link #11
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
What if Shouko was just acting stupid but in reality she's part of the Facility and is masterminding everything behind the current events.
Still not Conspiratorial enough...
Shouko and Valvrave-tan are actually one the same person
Old 2013-05-20, 17:39   Link #12
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayrael View Post
Still not Conspiratorial enough...
Shouko and Valvrave-tan are actually one the same person
Valverave-tan is Shouko's dead twin sister whose soul has been transported into the Valverave 01.
Old 2013-05-20, 18:16   Link #13
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeath View Post
Because Queen Shouko is the best :P

I actually wish the anime clarified if her father is the president or prime minister. I do wonder if her parentage will end up playing a more important role in the anime.

Since Shouko doesn't seem to be a pilot I wonder what her role will be? I thought she would be taking a leadership role but a teacher seem to have been appointed leader.
I'm sure that it will be touched on later as it seems strange to just mention something big like that. They may even force her father to try and negotiate with her as a way to tug at her heart strings.
Old 2013-05-20, 22:20   Link #14
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I can certainly believe she is the daughter of a president/prime minster or whatever her father does for a living. Even if the show decided in presenting it in a somewhat absurd manner, she does have a lot of charisma and natural leadership qualities that makes her able to take hold of any situation despite how bad it might get.
From what I understand, the anime staff may not be certain about Shoko's father... At first, his title was prime minister(総理 大臣). The first word is head-of-cabinet, chief-of-staff or whatever. It is also used in republics. The second word is minister. The word minister indicates that he works besides the monarchy. The position is elected by senate and "appointed" by the monarchy. However, the narrator calls him as president(大統領) in episode six. In some republics, president co-exists with the "prime minister". This case is different. As the chief of the state, the president is an honorary position and "prime minister" has the actual executive power.

My impression about Shoko is she has the big goal. She is less likely to be bothered by personal conflict. Maybe she has the leadership. She still has difficulty to deal with the head of girls' gang. Even it didn't turn out well, Saki shouldered the pressure from the rich-girls(?) To be a leader, Shoko still needs someone's support.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
Old 2013-05-21, 03:00   Link #15
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
From what I understand, the anime staff may not be certain about Shoko's father... At first, his title was prime minister(総理 大臣). [...] However, the narrator calls him as president(大統領) in episode six. In some republics, president co-exists with the "prime minister". This case is different. As the chief of the state, the president is an honorary position and "prime miniort.
Keep in mind it's more like a conflict between the Teacher's (Rion's) word and the Narrator's word.

Rion hasn't been portrayed as being very smart at all, so she might have been confused.

Either that or Shoko's father holds both titles or it was an actual mistake, but this isn't clear yet.
Old 2013-05-21, 11:55   Link #16
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I love her character design, particularly the penetrating green eyes and the hairclips. I like the nervous skirt-tug thing she has going on; that's a neat distinctive character quirk.

She's a genki girl with good leadership abilities and plenty of moxie. Her flaws are that she's a touch too idealistic, can come off as a bit overly pushy at times, and she has a touch of child-like silliness to her. Her flaws aren't severe, though, so they simply serve to humanize her and keep her out of Mary Sue territory.

Her relationship with Haruto is genuinely cute.
Old 2013-05-21, 13:05   Link #17
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I love her character design, particularly the penetrating green eyes and the hairclips.
Her eye coloration was also one of the first things that really struck me about this series. I couldn't think of another series that used that shade of green or that level of brightness on the iris. Then I started watching Suisei no Gargantia which uses an even more unique and brighter color palette...

All right, she's no Lacus Klein and she's had a few moments so far where she was a bit foolish, but she's a good character. Thus far there isn't anything terribly unique about her as far as anime character attributes go (aside from the skirt rubbing), but there's still room for the series to change its course of direction and have Shouko's character development go in a different direction.
Old 2013-05-21, 14:26   Link #18
Destined_Fate

I also like how she was quickly able to deduce that Saki!Haruto in the vid wasn't the real Haruto.
Old 2013-05-21, 16:55   Link #19
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Her eye coloration was also one of the first things that really struck me about this series. I couldn't think of another series that used that shade of green or that level of brightness on the iris. Then I started watching Suisei no Gargantia which uses an even more unique and brighter color palette...
One thing I love about anime, especially in contrast to a lot of North American-made entertainment, is how it embraces bright, vivid colors. A lot of modern Hollywood movies and American dramas have this muted look to it, and personally, I prefer the more vibrant and strikingly bright visuals of anime.

Quote:

All right, she's no Lacus Klein and she's had a few moments so far where she was a bit foolish, but she's a good character. Thus far there isn't anything terribly unique about her as far as anime character attributes go (aside from the skirt rubbing), but there's still room for the series to change its course of direction and have Shouko's character development go in a different direction.
Don't worry, you're not the only one who sees some similarities between Shouko and Lacus Klein. I almost made the comparison myself in my last post on this thread. They have some obvious similarities - Daughter of a major faction political leader, good leadership ability, good "EQ" (Emotional Quotient), strong resolve.

But Shouko is not a pop idol, and Lacus is not a genki girl. While I do like Lacus, there are times when I think Lacus ventured into Mary Sue territory, and that's not something I'd say about Shouko yet. So I don't necessarily think that Shouko is a worst character than Lacus. I think that Shouko is a very good character in her own right.
Old 2013-05-21, 21:34   Link #20
Destined_Fate

Eh. I feel that Shoko shows far more emotions than Lacus ever did as well.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters