AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Nanoha - StrikerS - Episode 01 Rating
Perfect 10 49 28.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 40 23.53%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 45 26.47%
7 out of 10 : Good 21 12.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 4.12%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.76%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.18%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.18%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.59%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-01, 23:25   Link #21
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
I have exploded in awesomeness.

EDIT: Okay, now that I'm marginally more coherent, I have to say that as an actual episode with story, episode one didn't really progress any major plotline much. There was quite a bit of shounen cheesiness, but it was still Relevant To My Interests mostly because it was cute girls doing it. Amazing how much shounen cheesiness I can forgive if it comes with a moe~ face.

But considering I marathoned the first two seasons prior to this in order to properly welcome StrikerS, I have to say that I loved pretty much every minute of the show. Yes, maybe I'll look back in a few days and compare this with other shows and judge it more objectively, but for twenty-five glorious minutes, I had an absolute blast.

I'm quite intrigued by Tia's illusions, since I didn't know that such things were even possible in the Nanoha-verse. Already the possibilities seem endless, although there would probably be some restrictions on that we don't know about yet.

Subaru, by comparison, didn't really hold my interest that much, largely because she seemed very, um, generic shounen hero(ine). Maybe she'll grow on me with time.

Can't wait for the HQ version of the raw, as well as the subs. That would make me explode in awesomeness all over again.

Last edited by dkellis; 2007-04-02 at 00:15.
Old 2007-04-01, 23:47   Link #22
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Wow. Loved seeing the old gang back, but Subaru and Teana, don't they seem a bit overloaded with the 'coolness' factor? Completely shounen. I mean, we used to have staffs, poleaxes and swords, now we have rollerblades, uber glove and revolver with a rope gun that can attach to any surface! These girls are so next generation!

Teana seems like Fate somehow. Being extremely serious about things. And Subaru seems like Nanoha, straightforward, energetic.

EDIT: According to the official site. Hayate is currently 陸上二佐. Someone told me this is lieutenant colonel...

Last edited by dahl_moon; 2007-04-02 at 00:03.
Old 2007-04-02, 00:03   Link #23
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Am I the only one who is glad that RH is finally using fairly accurate English?

Man, Subaru rocks, and Tia's illusion mojo is looking far better than expected.

As for that fan-serving preview shot... I would have expected Nanoha to be the one sleeping face-down instead (she's been doing it since the first season).
Old 2007-04-02, 00:35   Link #24
JediNight
キズランダム

Thoughts on Ep1:

Not as thrilling as Ep1 of A's thats for sure, but understandable in that they have a number of new characters they have to introduce. I didn't think Subaru's personality would be so weepy from the design of her character -- usually the fist-types and something like rollerblades would seem to be a more strong-willed and aggressive character.

I know they probably like their mages working in teams, but it seems kinda silly the restrictions on their magic abilities they have based on their choice of device. When Fate and Nanoha can just fly around freely, it seems ghetto to have to use a grappling wire or magical path to make it across areas. Granted they were just passing the B-class mage test there, so they aren't even up to the level of Nanoha in A's ... so maybe they do learn some flying and barrier magic etc.

And Ep2 preview ... it doesn't even seem like they are going to be introducing the other new characters yet, or at least they aren't a major focus of the episode like Ep1. Hopefully Subaru/Tia get the spiffier outfits after joining Nanoha's squad.
Old 2007-04-02, 00:37   Link #25
Akarum
TSAB Cadet

Send a message via MSN to Akarum
Well I've seen all but the ending, and I am overwhelmed by joy!
This is so awesome, seeing the crew again. Not much action, but you get to see Teana and Subaru's "teamwork".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl_moon View Post
Wow. Loved seeing the old gang back, but Subaru and Teana, don't they seem a bit overloaded with the 'coolness' factor? Completely shounen. I mean, we used to have staffs, poleaxes and swords, now we have rollerblades, uber glove and revolver with a rope gun that can attach to any surface! These girls are so next generation!
So true! But still, I like their devices. I'm pretty sure the crew behind this serie will find some nice things to show us with those devices in future episodes.

Now all that's left to see is what kind of antagonist they'll have to deal with.
Old 2007-04-02, 00:39   Link #26
Serenity85
Horo-ism

um Subaru and teana can't fly yet, it was mentioned in the manga that they hadn't learned how to do it yet
Old 2007-04-02, 00:45   Link #27
JediNight
キズランダム

Well, I'm just comparing it to Fate and Nanoha who could do it already in the first season, when Nanoha was probably considered a B or C rank mage as well. And I don't see how that type of magic would be difficult to learn, since it seemed more like a passive skill that you just turned on/off when needed, but didn't require much skill. I understand them not wanting to overpower the "newbies" though, and institute more teamwork-related tactics for us to see.

Subaru's Divine Buster was definitely not as powerful, but then again she's not nearly as powerful a mage as Nanoha so that should be a given. And she only used 2 cartridges compared to Nanoha usually uses like 3-5 or so? =D
Old 2007-04-02, 00:49   Link #28
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Well, I'm just comparing it to Fate and Nanoha who could do it already in the first season, when Nanoha was probably considered a B or C rank mage as well. And I don't see how that type of magic would be difficult to learn, since it seemed more like a passive skill that you just turned on/off when needed, but didn't require much skill. I understand them not wanting to overpower the "newbies" though, and institute more teamwork-related tactics for us to see.

Subaru's Divine Buster was definitely not as powerful, but then again she's not nearly as powerful a mage as Nanoha so that should be a given. And she only used 2 cartridges compared to Nanoha usually uses like 3-5 or so? =D
Erh... in the first season, Lindy already attests to Nanoha and Fate being somewhere around AAA class when they were assessing their capabilities. And the SS (Sound Stages) shows that you need to learn how to fly; Nanoha herself was taught by Yuuno on that matter.

Nanoha also used only a couple of cartridges for her Divine buster in this episode, and in A's, I don't think we saw her using cartridges for DB. She only spammed her ammo when using more powerful attacks, like Excelion Buster.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2007-04-02, 00:49   Link #29
Serenity85
Horo-ism

well Fate and Nanoha were ranker AAA at 9 yrs old, and they had I.D. from the get go, so they had help to learn stuff. They were also kind of special rare cases of uber mages^^

lol, LoweGear beat me to it^^
Old 2007-04-02, 01:05   Link #30
Jabawock
S.A.F.A Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Erh... in the first season, Lindy already attests to Nanoha and Fate being somewhere around AAA class when they were assessing their capabilities. And the SS (Sound Stages) shows that you need to learn how to fly; Nanoha herself was taught by Yuuno on that matter.

Nanoha also used only a couple of cartridges for her Divine buster in this episode, and in A's, I don't think we saw her using cartridges for DB. She only spammed her ammo when using more powerful attacks, like Excelion Buster.
In A's, Divine Buster Extension use 2 cartridges but she shout only "Divine Buster".
Old 2007-04-02, 01:13   Link #31
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Random thing I noticed on my second watch-through, since my Japanese skills are nonexistent: Tia doesn't have the twin pistols she has in the OP. Instead, she has a single pistol, which looks quite different.

Spoiler for pre-StrikerS manga:

I wonder when she'll get her twin pistols.

Also, I need to rewatch A's to see whether I'm just misremembering, but it's interesting to see Velka-style being just as accepted as Midchildan magic in the TSAB.
Old 2007-04-02, 01:16   Link #32
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Lutecia, the mysterious pink-haired girl in the OP.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2007-04-02, 01:17   Link #33
Serenity85
Horo-ism

wow, where did ya find that pic? was there anymore info on her?
Old 2007-04-02, 01:18   Link #34
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Courtesy of Fencedude, pic from the StrikerS Starter book.

Old 2007-04-02, 01:22   Link #35
Serenity85
Horo-ism

dam I really want to know more, shes got the loli cute factor that makes her prime good guy material, but the mysterious no pre air info of a villian, gah must know more
Old 2007-04-02, 01:22   Link #36
JediNight
キズランダム

She looks like she should be in Pretty Cure =D
Old 2007-04-02, 01:25   Link #37
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
She looks like she's from Fate/loli night.
Fixed. :P

D:

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-04-02, 01:26   Link #38
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I knew I should've moved mountains to find that book...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabawock
In A's, Divine Buster Extension use 2 cartridges but she shout only "Divine Buster".
How many words can she shout out with one breathe?

Oh yeah, the ED theme is pretty good compared to the previous one

EDIT:

Why...?! Why another cute, young and talented girl with- well, you know the rest of the tale...
Old 2007-04-02, 01:26   Link #39
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Quote:
Thoughts on Ep1:

Not as thrilling as Ep1 of A's thats for sure, but understandable in that they have a number of new characters they have to introduce. I didn't think Subaru's personality would be so weepy from the design of her character -- usually the fist-types and something like rollerblades would seem to be a more strong-willed and aggressive character.

I know they probably like their mages working in teams, but it seems kinda silly the restrictions on their magic abilities they have based on their choice of device. When Fate and Nanoha can just fly around freely, it seems ghetto to have to use a grappling wire or magical path to make it across areas. Granted they were just passing the B-class mage test there, so they aren't even up to the level of Nanoha in A's ... so maybe they do learn some flying and barrier magic etc.
Its mentioned in the manga that Mages must have a Magic Ranking of A or higher or else flight magic is extremely difficult.
Old 2007-04-02, 01:27   Link #40
Serenity85
Horo-ism

lol, they are scary similar even down to having a symbol on there forheads lol
Closed Thread