AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > GATE

Notices

Old 2015-07-04, 14:13   Link #101
com_gwp

^To add to the sanitisation of the show, I feel this also as quite a bit to do with the way the anime chooses to present Itami and his colleagues; I'm not sure if it was the right decision in the episode to place so much emphasis on the the general otakuness of the characters, especially when the story goes on to have very little to do with that particular character trait.

To unfamiliar anime watchers, it doesn't quite strike you as odd; manga readers are definitely sensitive to this because the levity of the invasion feels altogether neutered compared to what the manga depicted. Again, I hope aloud that this is only part of the growing pains of the anime.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 14:14   Link #102
cyth
Banned

I stand by my point: I'm pretty sure if the creators had the resources, the time or the wit to cram in more bodies they would have done it.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 14:17   Link #103
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

What was Itami's rank before being promoted?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 14:22   Link #104
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I stand by my point: I'm pretty sure if the creators had the resources, the time or the wit to cram in more bodies they would have done it.
Clearly wit was lacking, because they had the time and resources to make that (needless) mobile game sequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Good question; a second lieutenant is pretty much the lowest you can go for a commissioned officer. I remember anyone lower being ensigns or officer cadets already, which at 33 years old is impossible for Itami to still be an officer-in-training.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 14:25   Link #105
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
He was a second lieutenant at age 31 or so, i.e. not on the fast-track for promotion which suited him quite well of course.
Old 2015-07-04, 14:30   Link #106
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui04 View Post
It's more to do with the depiction of civilian casualties. With the lack of it shown, people not familiar with the source material believe the amount of casualties is no more than a dozen or a few dozen when you see hundreds running safely to the imperial palace and only a couple of corpses left behind. When it was in fact in the hundreds or thousands of them.

The lack of visual depiction or a clear mention of the amount of casualties in the invasion makes people think that the retaliation and war against the other world isn't justified.
I know this, but is the number of deaths really such a sticking point in this situation?

An enemy nation attacked the capital and killed civilians, is that not enough for a nation to at least prepare an armed response, considering they have no diplomatic relations with the other side and no way to establish any?

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 14:38   Link #107
Botan_TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
I know this, but is the number of deaths really such a sticking point in this situation?

An enemy nation attacked the capital and killed civilians, is that not enough for a nation to at least prepare an armed response, considering they have no diplomatic relations with the other side and no way to establish any?
The scale of response, preparation for response, and society acceptance for war would be different if attack was made by 200 savages, or (if I remember correctly) by 60 000 soldiers from well organised army.

Anyway, I wonder why Empire (I mean side which attacked, not Japan) didn't just destroyed/closed gate during those 3 months...
Old 2015-07-04, 14:39   Link #108
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Great episode.

I just love CURBSTOMPS.

Must be the 'MURICA flowing through me this July the 4th.

Protect the people so the exhibit won't get cancelled. Now that's what I call priorities kek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botan_TM View Post
Anyway, I wonder why Empire didn't just destroyed/closed gate during those 3 months...
An untouched "Virgin" land full of natural resources? Gotta expand markets yo. We live in an age of Neoliberal Globalization! Of course Japan won't let the Empire do that.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 14:46   Link #109
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Anyway, I wonder why Empire (I mean side which attacked, not Japan) didn't just destroyed/closed gate during those 3 months...
Bordering on source spoilers... they can't.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 14:48   Link #110
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Well, the most natural answer to that wouldn't have been sending scout parties but armed recon drones.
followed by a nuclear warhead. - And some highly radioctive waste around the other side of the gate to make sure that they don't survive even coming close to it.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 14:48   Link #111
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I think they have the resources, but like what everyone has already said it's simply hard to show that much violence on Japanese television. (I think something like Elfen Lied is an exception)

Last edited by Solace; 2015-07-04 at 16:44. Reason: Probably because that would be a SPOILER.
Newprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 14:57   Link #112
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
He was a second lieutenant at age 31 or so, i.e. not on the fast-track for promotion which suited him quite well of course.
They said he was promoted to second lieutenant (at 33) thanks to his actions when the Gate opened. So before that, what was he? NCO? Can they even do that, just give someone a commission without additional training?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 15:02   Link #113
Nvis
Where are the good animes

This seems interesting. Usually the military-guys lose vs. magic people.....

Elf girl in regular clothing(t-shirt, jeans) is getting my attention.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 15:12   Link #114
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
The scale of response, preparation for response, and society acceptance for war would be different if attack was made by 200 savages, or (if I remember correctly) by 60 000 soldiers from well organised army.
Even in the anime, it was clear that these weren't some random brigands coming through, but part of an organized army.

Considering the uncertainty of whether more Gates might pop up with even larger forces coming through, I think sociry wouldn't have too much of an issue with preparing an armed response.

Quote:
They said he was promoted to second lieutenant (at 33) thanks to his actions when the Gate opened. So before that, what was he? NCO? Can they even do that, just give someone a commission without additional training?
Wasn't it that he was promoted to first lieutenant?

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.

Last edited by Solace; 2015-07-04 at 16:44. Reason: Removed spoilers.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 15:12   Link #115
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComaPrison View Post
i'm a fan of the manga but i'm not into the slow pacing the anime has demonstrated so far.
I'm not and if I recall correctly the manga started in media res. The source material started out just like this episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post

They don't know that an enemy nation was responsible. They don't know anything at this point.

What I really love about the anime is the character designs. The girls look like girls and not "adult" women. I hated the way the manga drew them.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 15:17   Link #116
Greenish Growth

Considering the cross promotion going on between the anime and JSDF I can't see how they could possibly keep some of the future scenes intact.

Those scenes would make the military look bad because of how over-the-top they came across.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 15:23   Link #117
LG-MAX 2.o

good first episode, flowed well, there was a level of acceptable violence, I would prefer if they were using manga drawing, but it's okay,

ps:, I believe that tanks sent were the second-generation Type 74:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_74
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 15:37   Link #118
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
2nd lieutenant is the first commissioned officer grade in the JSDF and Itami's original rank. In the US I think that would be lieutenant JG? 1st lieutenant is the next rank up before captain. There's some bad translation going on with the anime, sorry to say, due to language differences. A JSDF 2nd lieutenant is 3等陸尉, note the "3". A 1st lieutenant, the next rank up is 2等陸尉 and a captain is 1等陸尉. I think the translators heard the "ni" meaning 2 when Itami was being commended and assumed that meant "2nd lieutenant". He's wearing a 2nd lieutenant's uniform during the ceremony which just adds to to the confusion.

See the JSDF rank information on Wikipedia for further details.

Last edited by nojay; 2015-07-04 at 18:39. Reason: Removing manga spoilers
nojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 15:42   Link #119
TheRealWinston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenish Growth View Post
Considering the cross promotion going on between the anime and JSDF I can't see how they could possibly keep some of the future scenes intact.

Those scenes would make the military look bad because of how over-the-top they came across.
Why, I read the manga, at least the chapters who were available so far, and I don't know, what scenes let the military look bad?

Spoiler for Story:
TheRealWinston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 15:46   Link #120
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
I believe that tanks sent were the second-generation Type 74:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_74
The self-propelled artillery seen in the traversing-the-Gate segment at the end of the first episode is the older type 75 vehicle, currently being replaced in service by the more modern Type 99.

Last edited by nojay; 2015-07-04 at 18:31. Reason: Removing spoiler
nojay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
military science fiction, seinen