AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2016-12-08, 02:14   Link #41
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
The anime industry has been very generous to the isekai genre. Grimgar, Konosuba, Re:Zero were arguably the cream of the crop. Now this piece of shit that is the epitome of all that's wrong with the genre is trying to walk in their footsteps.
I'd personally include Hataraku Maou-sama as part of the cream of the isekai crop, if only because it's the only isekai title I can think of where the main character gets sent to our mundane universe from their fantasy one, as opposed to normies going to a fantasy world stereotype.
Plus, I think Hataraku came out even before isekai became super popular.
Old 2016-12-08, 03:23   Link #42
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I read the manga.
Surprised it got an anime.
Old 2016-12-08, 05:35   Link #43
drawr

This series doesn't deserve a name as cool as Death March.
Old 2016-12-08, 06:01   Link #44
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I read the manga.
Surprised it got an anime.
The manga is still pretty much in the "prologue". The story only really starts after they leave the first town. Though I am not entirely sure because the manga follows the LN version and I have only read the WN version.
Old 2016-12-10, 13:09   Link #45
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth View Post
Yeah, another generic self-fulfilment series.

Even the guy's character design is screaming "Kiritoooo".
While Satou is equally as smug as Kirito, his messiah influence and activity extends far more than a hero warrior complex.
The guy is a massive philanthropist and a huge multiple-identity juggler.

Dude is like secretly everything.
Old 2016-12-11, 05:21   Link #46
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
While Satou is equally as smug as Kirito, his messiah influence and activity extends far more than a hero warrior complex.
The guy is a massive philanthropist and a huge multiple-identity juggler.

When you put in that way, he is even lame now.

Hope that he is secretly gay too.
Old 2016-12-11, 19:40   Link #47
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth View Post
When you put in that way, he is even lame now.

Hope that he is secretly gay too.
he likes MILF or DILF at least adult but ended up with LOLI harem.

His the a perfect guy that garysue means to be but his funny unlike gayrito which is emo mix into it and is trying to be something which is not but still garysue.
Old 2016-12-14, 00:24   Link #48
Go0gleplex
The Old Guy

I just hope they don't do a half-arsed job of it like they have with so many others lately.

"No society can thrive when it puts more money, effort, and emotion into its vices rather than its virtues."

Harem of choice? Uzume, Rory Mercury, Raphtalia, and Yasaka.
Old 2016-12-14, 02:39   Link #49
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
he likes MILF or DILF at least adult but ended up with LOLI harem.

His the a perfect guy that garysue means to be but his funny unlike gayrito which is emo mix into it and is trying to be something which is not but still garysue.
Indeed, Satou is a epitome of Gary-stu typecast, he is practically perfect in every way and able to do pretty much anything.

Yet I find him... rather soothing than annoying despite being a physical manifestation of wish-fulfillment, probably because of his gentleman-like behavior and modest, humble demeanor.

He's not really annoying in any fashion.

One thing to note though, he's not a wish-fulfillment in that he was a "loser in real life that somehow became perfect badass in another world" like so many Isekai stories are.
Satou was always Mr. Perfect even in real life.
Old 2016-12-14, 04:09   Link #50
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

So he's more like the stereotypical good guy protagonist in Korean dramas?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2016-12-14, 04:17   Link #51
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

DesuMachi is like so blase about all the transported to another world tropes. But it is what makes it endearing as a slice of life series.

Though I'm pretty sure that Satou's culinary world travels will be the trope of the season once it comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
This a slice-of-live cooking series. I don't get all the talk about "wishfulfillment"...
I think this is what would make this work around the backlash against the Isekai genre. Though this has been the ongoing joke about the series rotfl

Edit: Though personally I'd rather have gotten the one that popularized this genre in the translation community, Mushoku Tensei. It had such a touching finale

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Old 2016-12-14, 05:58   Link #52
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Wise, competent, very professional in demeanor, and yet still in touch with their emotions. I wonder why it's so easy for Koreans to create protagonists like that whereas Japan struggles at coming up with even just the basic ones like realistic and relateable protagonists. It's either they are realistic but weak and whiny or ridiculously overpowered but emotionless and morally bankrupt.
Old 2016-12-14, 06:22   Link #53
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I am not too familiar with K-dramas, but I'm pretty sure drama protagonists don't amass a harem the size of Negima.

Satou is practically simultaneously both the K-drama protagonist and the actor that plays him (with kazillion fangirls following)
Old 2016-12-14, 06:27   Link #54
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
I am not familiar with K-dramas, but I'm pretty sure drama protagonists don't amass a harem the size of Negima.
K-drama protagonists, like those from all other dramas, really don't have a harem. They are more one-woman than any other protagonist, so, no harems.

I am not sure about Korean LN/manhwa protags, but I am pretty sure they don't have harems as big as their Japanese counterparts.
Old 2016-12-14, 06:52   Link #55
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Lol I forgot how much this point made me laugh. I wonder how different he looks with all of that animated.

Though with all of these isekai adaptations I do wonder if we're ever going to get reincarnation genre adaptations. Heck maybe even Xianxia

I mean we get a lot of Western fantasy settings and whatnot but not as much Eastern fantasy?

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Old 2016-12-14, 07:23   Link #56
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Wise, competent, very professional in demeanor, and yet still in touch with their emotions. I wonder why it's so easy for Koreans to create protagonists like that whereas Japan struggles at coming up with even just the basic ones like realistic and relateable protagonists. It's either they are realistic but weak and whiny or ridiculously overpowered but emotionless and morally bankrupt.
Why are you comparing Korean dramas to Japanese anime and not Japanese dramas. This is the real question here. Boys over Flowers for example was big in Korea along with China and taiwan and all three versions are just adaptions of Hana yori dango. So no, Japan does not have trouble in creating these types of protagonists.
Old 2016-12-14, 08:59   Link #57
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Why are you comparing Korean dramas to Japanese anime and not Japanese dramas. This is the real question here. Boys over Flowers for example was big in Korea along with China and taiwan and all three versions are just adaptions of Hana yori dango. So no, Japan does not have trouble in creating these types of protagonists.
Tsukasa used to be a jerk but mellowed out thanks to Tsukushi, Rui is borderline anti-social, pretty much only Soujirou and Akira fits the above mentioned archetype, too bad they are not the real focus of the story, though that romance between Soujirou and Yuki was kind of cute (haha).

But anyways, back on topic, we shall see how Satou pans out, he might be just the Gary Stu protagonist anime really needs right now. Kirito is emo af, Issei is way too LOOD, while Saitama is so bored with his life and is so lonely at the top he comes off to some as borderline anti-social. Not good.
Old 2016-12-14, 13:47   Link #58
Applehell

^But, what makes Saitama work for people compared to Kirito is because Saitama's world and himself are too ridiculous to take seriously. The fact that much of the story is written under comedic lens helps with that. Even then Saitama is only good fightning, but anyone who isn't enamoured with his strength can look beyond it will see a non-descripitve slop who lives in a ruined and deserted city. He's not exactly the handsome kind of guy who ladies will flock to either. His ability to actually fight can be to debated since he just brute forces with simple attacks and has no actual techinques. It's only effective because of his base attributes.

He's really more of a gag/meme than a real character which is why the most compeling conflicts happen around him rather than with him. He's pretty far from perfect honestly.
Old 2016-12-14, 16:18   Link #59
abhjetgon

Anime absolutely doesn't need any more Gary stu's though (not like I'm the one to say so). You forget we already have a specimen called onii-sama.
Saitama doesn't really count because he's pretty much a walking gag character.
Old 2016-12-14, 16:42   Link #60
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjetgon View Post
Anime absolutely doesn't need any more Gary stu's though (not like I'm the one to say so). You forget we already have a specimen called onii-sama.
Saitama doesn't really count because he's pretty much a walking gag character.
AAAAND Onii-sama is too damn emotionless. So yeah.
Closed Thread

Tags
harem