AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 05
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 35 22.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 41 26.80%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 29 18.95%
7 out of 10 : Good... 30 19.61%
6 out of 10 : Average... 8 5.23%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 2 1.31%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 4 2.61%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 1 0.65%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 2 1.31%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 1 0.65%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-08-05, 08:54   Link #181
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by styr View Post
You'd think that with Kayaba, who was proclaimed a genius and all, would have devised a system such that falling asleep would activate a "safe mode" for players within SAO that would automatically decline duels, trades, etc to prevent abuse or exploits.

Sleep PK is a very weird exploit already.. I can only imagine the outcry from MMO players if Sleep PK was possible in games now.
You'd think that Kayaba, who was a proclaimed genius wouldn't have lost his marbels in such a way as to turn a MMORPG into a game of death.
Conan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 08:55   Link #182
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
i've played alot of MMO in my time and all i can say is that, a safe-zone is a safe-zone and the only one who can kill in a safe-zone is a Admin/GM.
Some games have monster bags that can be used for training...or killing afkers and spreading chaos in the town of beginnings by spawning a LV60 monster. True story...and of course, it was NEXON's idea of an "event prize".
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 09:17   Link #183
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan-san View Post
You'd think that Kayaba, who was a proclaimed genius wouldn't have lost his marbels in such a way as to turn a MMORPG into a game of death.
No, you wouldn't...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 09:22   Link #184
Esebian

Was a really nice and well adapted episode and the moment I knew that they were showing the discussion from ME1 it was clear that the end of it wouldn't be shown, because of that :P

It certainly ended in the best scene for it with Yuriko dieing Also I can't see how this episode was boring or impossible, in fact game exploits are found in any game, the only problem is that in MMOs it affects other human players as well. For example if you know EVE Online, which is without doubt one of the most exploited games ever made (just Google it and you'll see), there was even a case where a player robbed over 6000 $ from an ingame bank and then changed it in real money

Well, with the end of the episodic nature of the anime (apart from Ep 7) the addiction and the impatience rises to a whole new lvl xD With that said I can't wait for next Saturday...
Esebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 09:23   Link #185
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Any way to "fake a death" in this SAO world? Episode was interesting, though I feel like there is something fishy going on, I would almost want to say that the blue hair'd girl is actually in on this, didn't actually die, and is plotting to do something. Who knows, but it just doesn't feel right.

edit:

Or maybe, is there a way to equip the effect of an item to a weapon? Meaning, take the teleportation effect from those crystals and embed it into the weapons so that it looks like the player got killed, but is actually teleported to some other area? leaving only the weapon behind :O?
Old 2012-08-05, 09:35   Link #186
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
Any way to "fake a death" in this SAO world? Episode was interesting, though I feel like there is something fishy going on, I would almost want to say that the blue hair'd girl is actually in on this, didn't actually die, and is plotting to do something. Who knows, but it just doesn't feel right.

edit:

Or maybe, is there a way to equip the effect of an item to a weapon? Meaning, take the teleportation effect from those crystals and embed it into the weapons so that it looks like the player got killed, but is actually teleported to some other area? leaving only the weapon behind :O?
That might be possible. You can't kill in town other than duel but there's nothing about teleporting. That's one loophole.
Old 2012-08-05, 10:06   Link #187
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

Dang it, got so absorbed in this episode and time flew by so fast. But I cant recall reading this part in the LNs though.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 10:28   Link #188
Rakshasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Asuna recognizes that the NPCs are just NPCs, and that towns are simply places you stop at in your journey to clear the game. But to Kirito... they're more than just that, which is why he doesn't want them ravaged by a boss.
On the other hand the scene where Kirito was going to test the blade by stabbing himself shows the reverse when it comes to their own bodies.
Old 2012-08-05, 10:30   Link #189
Clarste
Human

More like Kirito has the standard hero martyr complex. Although realistically speaking it's not like he's going to die in one hit from a low level spear.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 11:25   Link #190
Grey

Nice background characters. But Eye-blindfold guy was a surprise. Trying to do the mage look in a sword game?
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 11:59   Link #191
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshasa View Post
On the other hand the scene where Kirito was going to test the blade by stabbing himself shows the reverse when it comes to their own bodies.
Might reflect more on Kirito's perceived self-worth. Had that incredibly dangerous solo run on that Santa boss, just standing there letting himself get chopped at by lower level PKs, and now this. While thanks to Sachi's message he's not going to throw his life away, I don't think he really minds taking some hits to resolve situations faster. Even if someone was at a high enough level to make it work they couldn't normally just stand there while a lot of angry people are actually attacking them. Don't think Kirito would let anyone else get hurt to test that blade, but it's alright to test on himself.
Old 2012-08-05, 13:04   Link #192
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
I was really hoping to see Kirito do a better job of standing up to Asuna in the beginning part. I read about what was suppose to happen after that scene to handle their differences. I hope to see it animated, or I won't be happy at all about this arc.

As much as I liked her in the beginning, I would have told her to pound sand in that meeting. Being a solo player and all.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 14:16   Link #193
halibonga

lots of asuna this episode, very pleased
halibonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 14:17   Link #194
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2 View Post
That might be possible. You can't kill in town other than duel but there's nothing about teleporting. That's one loophole.
Well Kirito already named some options here is what I think how it went:

Grim challenged Victim A to a duel which he didn't know if he should accept it or not - then the girl took his finger pretending to decline and instead accepted, Grim then killed him from a roof top or some other place where people wouldn't be able to see him. - this fulfills boths requirements for a city death.
If you take the Sleep PK way as the only way to kill in a city this would be how its done when someone is awake.

Her death is a lot harder though - she said the guy had a right for vengence so she either accepted his duel without telling someone, comitted suicide or faked her death.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 15:50   Link #195
Xaturas

Ok I've read almost all post in this thread.
And one simple thing goes to my head all the time, WHY THE FUCK CAN'T THEY WAKE UP WHILE BEING SLEEP-PK'D. Its not like they are getting 1 hited ...
For fuc sake unless there is some retarded function like *you can't wake up because of noise* and cant react to other stuff like getting hit and options opening, then it just dumb. Normally you can wake to just hearing someone opening the door or lightly tapping you on shoulder, but you can't wake up to someone stabbing you with a sword.
Jesus that totally kill any suspension of disbelief.
Old 2012-08-05, 15:57   Link #196
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
Ok I've read almost all post in this thread.
And one simple thing goes to my head all the time, WHY THE FUCK CAN'T THEY WAKE UP WHILE BEING SLEEP-PK'D. Its not like they are getting 1 hited ...
For fuc sake unless there is some retarded function like *you can't wake up because of noise* and cant react to other stuff like getting hit and options opening, then it just dumb. Normally you can wake to just hearing someone opening the door or lightly tapping you on shoulder, but you can't wake up to someone stabbing you with a sword.
Jesus that totally kill any suspension of disbelief.
You don't actually feel pain when getting stabbed. And even if you do wake up, you're at a serious disadvantage. So all that happens is that you die awake.
Old 2012-08-05, 16:06   Link #197
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
You don't actually feel pain when getting stabbed. And even if you do wake up, you're at a serious disadvantage. So all that happens is that you die awake.
Not really unless this game is fucing stupid design comparable to backyard trash projects and its not.

You still hear sounds not to mention that there should be some reaction to menus operation.
Unless you are a piece of dumb lying tree lump, you should be able to react.

In any decent game there is such thing as /forfeit /surrender /submit commands in duels where you insta submit a duel, ie. you don't have time for it and need to finish it asap.

Only case it would be even decently believable is when you get 1-2 shooted, but for that your attacker would need to outlevel you tremendously and use their skills. Otherwise people would pk others in open grounds by swinging a sword at them once or twice all the time, without resorting to some dumb workarounds.

6/10 from me because of this dumb unbelievable sleep pk thing.
Old 2012-08-05, 16:20   Link #198
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
Not really unless this game is fucing stupid design comparable to backyard trash projects and its not.

You still hear sounds not to mention that there should be some reaction to menus operation.
Unless you are a piece of dumb lying tree lump, you should be able to react.
I don't know about you, but for the overwhelming majority of people, being asleep isn't just having your eyes closed.

Quote:
In any decent game there is such thing as /forfeit /surrender /submit commands in duels where you insta submit a duel, ie. you don't have time for it and need to finish it asap.
Maybe, if you can wake up in time, understand what's happening, and operate the menu without panicking.

Quote:
Only case it would be even decently believable is when you get 1-2 shooted, but for that your attacker would need to outlevel you tremendously and use their skills. Otherwise people would pk others in open grounds by swinging a sword at them once or twice all the time, without resorting to some dumb workarounds.

6/10 from me because of this dumb unbelievable sleep pk thing.
The advantage of attacking someone who's asleep is that you don't have to worry about them parrying, let alone countering. Which lets you use your big skills on them. There's also the possibility of unequiping them before the duel.
Old 2012-08-05, 16:26   Link #199
Chandela
Straight Chillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
The guy with the spear in his chest disagrees with you. He seemed to be in pain whenever he tried to pull it out. I could be wrong though, for I am not him.

Nice episode though, I like the concept of people being PK'd while in a safe zone. Can you feel the fear in the air? The intensity of the scenario? I love this stuff. Although the ending was a little predictable in my opinion. 8/10

What also interests me is that they are already on Floor 59 and we are on episode 5. It makes me believe that something big will happen sooner or later but I guess the only thing we can do is wait and see.
Old 2012-08-05, 16:26   Link #200
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

You’re getting worked up for a really silly thing. I can find dozens of reason why sleep-pking would be dangerous even if you woke up real-life style within the game.

For instance if a “to the death” duel has been chosen, you can say goodbye to that forfeit. The PK-er just needs to charge his strongest attack and he’ll have a serious lead by the time you regain your composure. Depending on the relative levels he might even have time to kill you while you’re confused and before you have time to choose forfeit.

Also the game does have status effects; if your opponent started with a paralysis attack, it’s GAME OVER for you no matter what you try.

Not to mention the show doesn’t even mention the chance of success. Perhaps sleep pk-ing has only ever been successful one every twenty times…. which is already way too much a risk to take in a life-or-death game.

Really, I don’t see what problem with suspension of disbelief there is here.

Note that the game was not designed with sleeping within it in mind. Normally players would log off when they feel sleepy. It just happens that they can’t log off since Kabaya tweaked the game.
don_Durandal is offline   Reply With Quote