AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-07-05, 07:34   Link #29241
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

End of ban on Internet campaigning sends LDP candidates online

Quote:
In recent weeks, [LDP candidate] Kounoike has posted Facebook photos of himself merrily devouring ice cream, marveling over his new Roomba and cheering on his grandchildren during field day.

In a running series called “My Lunch,” Mr. Kounoike, a veteran lawmaker from the governing party, chronicles meals from his favorite haunts: yakisoba, katsu sandwich, a juicy steak. “I’ve totally got the hang of it!” Mr. Kounoike, 74, gushed in the sleepy western town of Himeji on Thursday, the first official day of campaigning for the July 21 elections. “Did you know I tweet, too?”
Really, there's an iPhone game called "Abe Pyon?" Sounds like all you win is LDP propaganda. At least tell me there are a few gold coins to collect along the way, too.

Kounoike-san might want to take a lesson from Iowa Senator Charles Grassley's tweets, often described as "haiku-like" for their mixture of brevity and obscurity. His early attempts at poetry included tweets like "#", "3" and "If". (Actually I think Kipling owns the rights to that one.) He's more accomplished now with such gems as "There will b weather in Iowa today So I'm flying bk to DC early" and the new classic "Fred and I hit a deer on hiway 136 south of Dyersville. After I pulled fender rubbing on tire we continued to farm. Assume deer dead".

Somebody want to give the deer of Iowa cellphones so they can call 911 after encounters with the Senator?

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-07-05 at 07:51.
Old 2013-07-05, 09:00   Link #29242
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
That would be as much as if the Superintendent of West Point, namely Lieutenant General David H. Huntoon, makes heated comments on foreign policy with the intention to become President. In other words, the answer is "no" for now, but I can't tell that ex-military would not find their way into Chinese politics in the next few years.
If you compare him to west point you would give him too many credit. West Point train real soldiers. I once went there as a kid and watch them go running and practice shooting.

This place is FAR LESS than that. It don't even have a training ground, just a couple office building. It is a Think Tank that do research and have write speeches. I think you should change to a military version of Council on Foreign Relations or something.
Old 2013-07-05, 19:43   Link #29243
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Islamist protests hit cities across Egypt, at least 24 dead
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...95Q0NO20130705

Nicaragua, Venezuela offer asylum to Snowden
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/nicar...asylum-snowden
Old 2013-07-05, 19:52   Link #29244
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Islamist protests hit cities across Egypt, at least 24 dead
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...95Q0NO20130705

Nicaragua, Venezuela offer asylum to Snowden
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/nicar...asylum-snowden
interesting that Nicaragua is stepping into this.

Venezuela is a given,

i am disappointed that Iceland rejected Snowden application. He probably should have gone there first and apply.
Old 2013-07-05, 20:12   Link #29245
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i am disappointed that Iceland rejected Snowden application. He probably should have gone there first and apply.
I think than we can say than he did a lot of thing wrong right after leaking the infos
Old 2013-07-06, 12:05   Link #29246
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Costa Rica's Legislative Assembly on Monday passed a measure – by accident – that could legalize same-sex civil unions as part of a larger bill, lawmakers noted on Tuesday.
Conservative lawmakers voted for the bill’s passage without recognizing the included language that could be interpreted to change the definition of marriage, according to the daily La Nación. Lawmakers immediately called for President Laura Chinchilla to veto the bill.
José María Villalta, a lawmaker from San José, inserted the language into the bill. Villalta is a member of the leftist Broad Front Party. The language confers social rights and benefits of a civil union, free from discrimination, according to La Nación.
Villalta attached the measure to a reform of the Law of Young People, which covers various social services for young people and laws governing marriage.
“During the discussion in the first debate, we explained that the Law of Young People should be interpreted with this sense of opening to gays and no one objected,” Villalta said, according to La Republica.
Conservative politicians such as Justo Orozco, a member of the evangelical National Renovation Party, slammed the measure.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...ntal-vote?lite

like i always say to my clients read the fine print or forever hold your peace.
Old 2013-07-06, 14:29   Link #29247
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

FAA: Airliner crashes on landing in San Francisco
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...07-06-15-23-31

China, Switzerland sign free trade agreement
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...96503E20130706
Old 2013-07-06, 14:35   Link #29248
Samari
World's Greatest

The plane crash is about twenty minutes from where I live. The plane looks to be mostly intact. I hope everyone made it.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2013-07-06, 17:14   Link #29249
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

I flew into SFO just two days ago (my parents were getting back from a road trip to the NW and were passing through; I was going to meet up with them). That would've made things quite a hassle if it had occurred when I arrived.

It was an Asiana flight from Seoul that was landing; hopefully no one we know was onboard.
Old 2013-07-06, 18:10   Link #29250
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

News says there were 291 people onboard, but so far only report about a few dozen were injured. Two people were killed.
Old 2013-07-07, 01:59   Link #29251
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

An oil train derailed in Quebec yesterday, destroying part of a small town and forcing the evacuation of about 2000 people.

Didn't something like this happen not long ago?
Old 2013-07-07, 02:22   Link #29252
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
Apparently, it happened to another train from the same company. They better be ready to open up their wallet because this is too much to be just a mere coincidence.
Old 2013-07-07, 02:49   Link #29253
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Means they either need to invest in upgrading the track, or running shorter trains at a slower speed most likely.
Old 2013-07-07, 02:58   Link #29254
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Means they either need to invest in upgrading the track, or running shorter trains at a slower speed most likely.
In this case, it was caused by an unattended, allegedly parked train. So they probably have worse problems than you think; namely, they just have horrible safety standards overall.

The guy parked the train filled with oil, went to a hotel for the night, and woke up to the firestorm.
Old 2013-07-07, 03:21   Link #29255
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If I recall regulations, train operators are required to be off work for eight hours after a certain period of working. Sometimes they have a repalcement sent to keep the train moving, and sometimes they don't...depending on where the engineer was forced to stop by union rules.

The other train should have been informed by the signals that there was another train in the block unless there were switches set wrong. If there was even a second track to begin with.
Old 2013-07-07, 06:25   Link #29256
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if this event will be used by the advocate of that project of using a actual pipeline to ship tar sand petrol from Alberta to Québec.
Old 2013-07-07, 09:12   Link #29257
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if this event will be used by the advocate of that project of using a actual pipeline to ship tar sand petrol from Alberta to Québec.
As if pipelines don't mysteriously burst and contaminate a whole town, like, recently...

When trains go up in flames, the demand isn't to stop trains, it is to make trains safer. Anything and everything that has ever transported fuel, has had an explosive result in recent memory. Or at the least had massive leaks one way or another. It is something we have to deal with. To advocate Pipelines would require proof that it is actually safer... and I am not certain the evidence is there.
Old 2013-07-07, 09:49   Link #29258
JokerD

I'm not sure if I should post this but what the heck...

ALLEGED ABUSE AT MY FIRST SKOOL CHILDCARE CENTRE
(need I warn on disturbing footage?)
My First Skool cooperating with police on alleged child abuse case
Teacher in alleged child abuse case arrested

Alleged abuse at a child care centre here. The kid got a hairline fracture in his shins.

According the some news reports, the centre first told the parents that he boy fell and only after viewing the CCTV footage (in the first link) that the incident came to light.

Anyway I'm more disturbed by one of the comments in the video:
Quote:
...The fact that they seemed unfazed by the whole commotion makes me conclude that this is not a one off incident. This teacher has def reacted n treated students this way before. And sadly it may be the same child being put away normally. N the fact that other staff did not intervene and allowed such an act to continue also goes to show that they are probably afraid of her n have also witnessed her doing such a thing many times before....
...death sentence...
Old 2013-07-07, 10:02   Link #29259
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
I'm not sure if I should post this but what the heck...

ALLEGED ABUSE AT MY FIRST SKOOL CHILDCARE CENTRE
(need I warn on disturbing footage?)
My First Skool cooperating with police on alleged child abuse case
Teacher in alleged child abuse case arrested

Alleged abuse at a child care centre here. The kid got a hairline fracture in his shins.

According the some news reports, the centre first told the parents that he boy fell and only after viewing the CCTV footage (in the first link) that the incident came to light.

Anyway I'm more disturbed by one of the comments in the video:

...death sentence...
Actually I do blame our system for making it seem as though that childcares and kindergartens are full substitutes to parenting, with business centric models allowing childcares to profit from them.

The biggest issue I see is the COMPLETE lack of training to educate the teachers themselves about learning disabilities/mental handicaps like dyslexia and Aspergers. If they are so lazy and can't be bothered to tell teachers the existence of such, why aren't they instituting euthanisia for the kids with such disabilities?

These kids suffer not because they don't want to communicate - they can't communicate well because their brains are wired differently. Instead of bashing them into submission they cannot understand, might as well break their necks at a young age. Eases their suffering of lifelong discrimination for who they are born to be, and adheres to the Darwinian socio-academic model of selecting corporate slaves for our society.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-07-07, 11:24   Link #29260
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Sunday is usually a slow news day. So far, though, we've had a plane crash in San Francisco, a train explosion in Quebec and a bomb blast in one of India's holiest Buddhist pilgrimage sites.

Bomb blasts rock holy Buddhist site in India
Quote:
Delhi, India (July 7, Sun): Nine low intensity bombs went off within 15 minutes early this morning inside the Mahabodhi temple complex, a Unesco World Heritage site, and one of the holiest sites associated with the life of Buddha in Bodh Gaya in the northern Indian state of Bihar.

Indian Home Secretary Anil Goswami told reporters that four explosions occurred inside the temple complex, three others shook a nearby monastery and an eighth exploded near a statue of Buddha. Two other bombs were defused, he added.

The blasts injured two Buddhist monks, one from Myanmar and the other from Nepal. The injured monks are being treated at a local government hospital, according to the local authorities.

Around 200 people were on the temple premises when the blasts took place in succession around the complex, according to local residents. No deaths have been reported.

NYT
(NOTE: The original NYT headline, "Bomb blasts at India's Buddhist mecca in Bihar", is potentially insensitive. Mecca typically refers to Islam's holiest place of pilgrimage. Given the tensions between Buddhists and Muslims in India, the choice of words couldn't have been more unfortunate.)

I've been busy the whole afternoon and evening covering this story. My colleagues scored the scoop near midnight last night and we've been following up on the story through the wee hours.

One of the earlier versions of my lines are posted on our Facebook page.

TL;DR…

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Additional details are already in the third link you provided ("Teacher in alleged child abuse case arrested").

From my own notes:
TL;DR…

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

By the way, all we know for now is that the boy joined this particular childcare centre only recently. He is apparently very active, but since joining the centre, he had been reluctant to go to attend classes. This is according to my colleague who had spoken to the parents last night and this morning.

That's all we know. It would not be wise to speculate whether the boy has any special condition. In any case, whatever the circumstance, the teacher's behaviour is unacceptable. However, she is not untrained. She is professionally qualified and has several years of experience. By the centre operator's account, the teacher is also in a very emotional state. NTUC My First Campus had not been able to officially speak to her before the police arrested her. News of the arrest came in even as the press conference was being held by My First Campus.

As for the accusations of an attempted cover up by the teacher and the centre, it stems from a misunderstanding that is very hard to explain while tempers are running high. That's why no one has reported the operator's official explanation from the Q&A session after the news conference.

Quite simply, whenever a complaint is received, the centre will first review the tapes as part of its preliminary investigation. The operator doesn't claim to be perfect. It has received complaints from parents in the past -- but not all of them have substance. The CEO, Mr Chan Tee Seng didn't say as much, but reading between the lines, you can easily guess that he's saying that, often, many of the complaints have no merit.

There had been no attempt to cover up, he said. The operator was merely following its own internal procedures, to ensure fair treatment and due process for the teachers. Bear in mind that even the slightest accusation, with or without merit, can potentially ruin a teacher's career. In this case, however, the parents reported the case directly to the police, and the police requested to see the CCTV video before the operator could initiate its own procedures.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2013-07-07 at 12:00.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international