Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2007-07-26, 18:38   Link #1101
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Thank goodness... I'd kept ignoring this thread thinking it was 'american' football instead of 'futbol' I may actually start reading it now....
I can't believe how much that phrase made me laugh... and to how much extent it amazed me. I always thought that Americans thought their strange version of rugby as the only "football", and considered the true football as "soccer". And I also thought Americans didn't give a damn about football.

Seems there will always be lots and lots of exceptions to a rule... which is something I already knew, but I'm once again amazed how true it proves to be

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-26, 23:28   Link #1102
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

^ Lol yea.. Vexx's post made me lol hard as well ...

As for Hleb, I agreed with Medic, he did have some good match, but not really enough to impressed me either.. but I still put him higher on the list then Theo

I like Flamini, but its really hard to find his spot on the team .. That new Sagna guy is a bit like Lauren too, means he prolly going to slot in right midfield some time ^^. If he as hardworking as Eboue, man I'm going to enjoy right side game ^^

*waits the day Cesc got the armband*
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-27, 03:50   Link #1103
Last_Hope
System/Web developer

I´ll agree to anyone saying Hleb has been a lot up and down, but I think he´s an excellent football player still a few steps above Walcott who needs some more time. I don´t think Walcott is a poor player, it´s just that I the style of Hleb and when he´s in the right mood he slips through the opposing defense like he pleases.

But we´ve forgotten one player in all of this, Denilson. He was really good last season when he got his chances and I´m convinced that this year will be his big breakthrough.

Want to know who did this kickass sig? Just click it!
Last_Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-27, 04:24   Link #1104
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

I see him swapping with Flamini to slot in for Gilberto here and there, especially for FA and league cup maybe.. but it would really make a revelation (you know, like Toure in CD spot couple of years back) if he can hold a regular spot in 1st team

Oh btw, I really hate Gallas's attitude... since he came last year, all he yapping is buy more star players!!! Or I'm leaving threat Seriously, he really need to learn that Arsene is not that kinda of manager that buys a lot (or collect star player) .. He's the kind that like to buy unknown gem then unleash it to PL .. And thats what I really admire him .. his eyes for sporting talent Of course he did buy Francis Jeffers (or was it free transfer?)
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2007-07-27, 10:10   Link #1105
Medic
Dubstep - DZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_Hope View Post
I´ll agree to anyone saying Hleb has been a lot up and down, but I think he´s an excellent football player still a few steps above Walcott who needs some more time. I don´t think Walcott is a poor player, it´s just that I the style of Hleb and when he´s in the right mood he slips through the opposing defense like he pleases.

But we´ve forgotten one player in all of this, Denilson. He was really good last season when he got his chances and I´m convinced that this year will be his big breakthrough.
I agree, when Hleb's in the mood he very good, but he's never in that mood. The match against Reading last year (4-0) he was the most impressive player on the pitch. Walcott has a lot to learn, but judging from 2 pre-season games (which isnt saying alot, I know) he seems a much better player.

Denilson's a very promising prospect but I think Diaby is a better player and should get more chances next season than Denilson. I really rate Diaby highly, he is very much like Vieria but more attack minded. I cant for the day when he takes over Gilberto, and him & Cesc share a great midfield partnership.
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-27, 10:12   Link #1106
Medic
Dubstep - DZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira_Naruto View Post
I see him swapping with Flamini to slot in for Gilberto here and there, especially for FA and league cup maybe.. but it would really make a revelation (you know, like Toure in CD spot couple of years back) if he can hold a regular spot in 1st team

Oh btw, I really hate Gallas's attitude... since he came last year, all he yapping is buy more star players!!! Or I'm leaving threat Seriously, he really need to learn that Arsene is not that kinda of manager that buys a lot (or collect star player) .. He's the kind that like to buy unknown gem then unleash it to PL .. And thats what I really admire him .. his eyes for sporting talent Of course he did buy Francis Jeffers (or was it free transfer?)
I guess thats a package that comes with Gallas, although I believe he is the victim of misquotations. The media know he is a source of controversy and change his interview statements.

As for the unknown gem, that may and well be Eduardo. Lets wait and see
Old 2007-07-27, 14:00   Link #1107
Sun Shine
Destroyer of the Good

Walcott is appaling. Saw him play the season before last, Leeds vs. Saints and even though he scored he was shocking. He wasn't impressive against the 2 slowest centre backs in the league at that time, says it all. He has pace but poor ball control, inability to pass the football properly and can't shoot. Hes progressed a little at Arsenal but nothing to show signs of becoming an amazing player and certainly no signs of living up to the price that was paid for him.

I wasn't impressed with Hleb at all, Arsenal play better without him.
Sun Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-27, 21:49   Link #1108
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Please let Koure be the captain.. please let Koure be the captain .. please let Koure be the captain..

Because the other choice is now either gilbert or gallas
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2007-07-28, 05:28   Link #1109
Last_Hope
System/Web developer

It´s going to be either Touré or Lehmann. My bet is Lehmann since I have this vague memory that when Henry was injured he was the one that got the C.

Medic
A season or two (at most) and after that Diaby will have taken Gilberto´s place in the starting line up. Although I got to say that it kind of hurts writing this since I have always rated Gilberto very highly in Arsenal. The same can be said about Lehmann and Fabianski too. A season or two then Fabianski will be our first keeper.

I think Denilson has been used by Wenger on the left midfield aswell so the two of them doesn´t necessarily have to compete about the same position and chances.

Want to know who did this kickass sig? Just click it!
Last_Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-28, 13:52   Link #1110
Medic
Dubstep - DZ

Last Hope - A fine examplee was in todays match against PSG. Diaby was used as a left-midfielder in the 1st half, and was quite dormant. He hardly got possession of the ball and couldnt play his usual style.

In the 2nd half Fabregas was taken off, Diaby shifting infield. He was brilliant there. No exaggeration, his passing was on point, his tackles were timed to perfection. His position is CM, no was quite rubbish at LM.

Wenger needs to buy a winger, Queresmawould be ideal, but the 17million price tag will ruin that. Interesting to see how we play tomorrow against Inter, I'm sure they'll be a tougher task.
Old 2007-07-28, 14:34   Link #1111
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Thank goodness... I'd kept ignoring this thread thinking it was 'american' football instead of 'futbol' I may actually start reading it now....

(and once again japan gets sunk.... sigh)
LOL at Vexx's accidental discovery that this is a thread about "soccer".

I motion that the name of this thread be slightly modified to "The Official Football/Soccer Thread" to prevent any more unsuspecting Americans from entering the wrong thread.

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~pstone/why.html

Here's an interesting article that explains the origin of the term "soccer". It's actually coined by the English, not the Yanks.

Back in the 19th century, rugby and football was more common amongst the upper class public school kids (private school for you Americans) than with the working class, it was common for the schoolkids to add a suffix "-er" to anything to make it sound cool. So while the rugby people played "rugger", the football players called their game "soccer" after "association football", the official name for the regularized game that we know today.

Quite an influx of Gooners lately, I noticed.

Lately, Liverpool have been playing in Asia the past week, and I must say though I could not obtain a ticket, I count myself lucky when one day after work, I decided to walk past the hotel where they're seeing, and there the players were, led by Steven Gerrard, coming out of their hotel and boarding into their coach for some training, I promptly took plenty of photos. That pretty much compensates for not being able to watch the match in person.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-28, 23:47   Link #1112
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Aww.. lucky you.. Did you get Stevie's autograph?
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2007-07-29, 16:28   Link #1113
arcadeplayer987

I think Manchester will win the title again this season, is the strongest team from Premiership
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-29, 17:05   Link #1114
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadeplayer987 View Post
I think Manchester will win the title again this season, is the strongest team from Premiership

I don't know about that, it's hard to say really.

I just want to watch them play now. Now now now now now.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-30, 08:42   Link #1115
gin-3
who am i?

i think man united or chelsea will win this season, they buy many good player especially united. and for biggest contender is Liverpool with it Fernando Torres, i believe he will give a lot to the reds. and for arsenal, i doubt they can compete this season
gin-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-30, 08:47   Link #1116
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Good.. we loved being underdog ^^
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2007-07-30, 08:50   Link #1117
Loniat
Paranoid Android

Nobody is going to comment over Iraq's win in the Asian Cup?
Old 2007-07-30, 08:52   Link #1118
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

because nobody watch it? -_-''
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2007-07-30, 08:52   Link #1119
OverFunk
It will never be the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gin-3 View Post
i think man united or chelsea will win this season, they buy many good player especially united. and for biggest contender is Liverpool with it Fernando Torres, i believe he will give a lot to the reds. and for arsenal, i doubt they can compete this season
As for someone who follows the La Liga Española de Fútbol, I just wish that Fernando Torres can fit in there. Dear god, he was the only one that cared about his tema, but couldn't support all the weight of the shirt. Losing 0-6 to Barça is disgusting.
OverFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-30, 11:37   Link #1120
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loniat View Post
Nobody is going to comment over Iraq's win in the Asian Cup?
Ah yes, Iraq winning the Asian Cup. For once, it feels refreshing to hear some uplifting news concerning that war-torn country. You bet someone would make a movie about a team that unites Sunnis, Shias and Kurds (plus other minorities that most here have honestly not been aware of), beats all odds, including terrible conditions in match preparation, to go all the way and win the cup.

Curses to those lowly scum that planted those car bombs last Wednesday and killing all those people dancing in the streets of Baghdad simply because they were celebrating their country beating all odds to beat South Korea to get in the final. Using terminology that they understand, I would say to these scum that they are no different to the "infidel satanic imperialists" that they seek to overthrow. (Apologies for any offense made, however unintended. )

Anyway, politics should have no place here in this sports thread, so I'll keep my mouth shut now.

Quote:
Aww.. lucky you.. Did you get Stevie's autograph?
Sadly, no autographs. Just the sight of Stevie G got me giddy already. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverFunk View Post
As for someone who follows the La Liga Española de Fútbol, I just wish that Fernando Torres can fit in there. Dear god, he was the only one that cared about his tema, but couldn't support all the weight of the shirt. Losing 0-6 to Barça is disgusting.
Seeing him play briefly in Hong Kong, I must say I like what I'm seeing of Torres, despite not scoring any goals yet. From the way Atletico fans were mourning his departure, I really hope Benitez gets this purchase right, at the cost of GBP20m and the occasional wizardry of Luis Garcia. Andrei Voronin, who came on a free Bosman, was another surprise highlight, he has the work rate of Dirk Kuyt, so both he and Torres can gel with the team quickly, this'll be an interesting attacking duo. Please don't make me eat my words, you two.

BTW, I really can't see Heinze coming to Liverpool. Benitez is obviously winding Sir Alex up and it's always entertaining to see him getting irate over Liverpool for once rather than him gloating over the Reds' setbacks. (Yes, I'm biased. )
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
football, soccer