okay so...still filler. Be back in a month
Have a nice vacation!~
Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 17:46   Link #43
DeDe
Ino-Shika-Cho

Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
Episodes up to 107 are confirmed to be filler.
Geg says the DVD info for this arc says it won't end till late May/early June. There might be a number a breaks, but this arc will be much longer than the Sora filler.

If you total up the Sora arc with this one, the total number of Shippuden will almost be close to half being filler. Yikes.

The only upside is that the next arc could be fast paced. Maybe two chapters per episode like the Zombie Twin Arc.
Old 2009-03-28, 19:00   Link #44
neshru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDe View Post
If you total up the Sora arc with this one, the total number of Shippuden will almost be close to half being filler. Yikes.
Well, if this means that we won't have any other filler arc until the end of shippuuden, then Studio Pierrot will have done the right thing.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 19:26   Link #45
naruske

well Deidara and Tobi are going after the 3 tails too so that will be another couple of episodes
naruske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 21:22   Link #46
Supermutant

Quote:
Geg says the DVD info for this arc says it won't end till late May/early June. There might be a number a breaks, but this arc will be much longer than the Sora filler.

More like 40%.

I'm kind of liking this story so I don't mind terribly.

It's just... so far behind the manga right now... and losing ground.
Supermutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 00:22   Link #47
Alchemist007
*Author

And after this 3 tails arc...the 5 tails arc!

Note: This is a fabrication.
Old 2009-03-29, 14:04   Link #48
DeDe
Ino-Shika-Cho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermutant View Post
More like 40%.
That's why I said "close" to half. It will likely be over 40% of Shippuden episodes being filler if this arc goes on to June.

I can remember all that excitement back in early 2007 when Shippuden first started airing. If someone said Shippuden episodes would over 40% filler by June 2009 fans would have laughed.

Quote:
Well, if this means that we won't have any other filler arc until the end of shippuuden, then Studio Pierrot will have done the right thing.
I can't imagine them not doing more filler arcs. I think it's almost a given. We've now had canon arc, canon arc, filler arc, canon arc, filler arc. The odds are we will get more filler.

But the alternative is what's happening to Bleach. They are so close to the manga now that we might get over a year worth of fillers. So I guess Naruto fans can't complain.
Old 2009-03-29, 14:30   Link #49
neshru

Quote:
I can't imagine them not doing more filler arcs. I think it's almost a given. We've now had canon arc, canon arc, filler arc, canon arc, filler arc. The odds are we will get more filler.
It's totally possible there will be more, since we're dealing with Pierrot here and they pull the most ridiculous shit. But I think they are doing these long filler arcs now because they won't have the chance later on. After the H&K arc, the way events are connected to each other doesn't leave space for filler.
Old 2009-03-29, 16:36   Link #50
kitten320

Quote:

But the alternative is what's happening to Bleach. They are so close to the manga now that we might get over a year worth of fillers. So I guess Naruto fans can't complain.
So true!
At least I hope that Bleach fillers won't be boring and will be good as this Naruto filler or better
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 21:09   Link #51
king12354

Terrible and getting worse.

Naruto should really stop forcing his ideals onto other people.
king12354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 21:18   Link #52
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by king12354 View Post
Terrible and getting worse.

Naruto should really stop forcing his ideals onto other people.
Yeh that's true. Especially I don't like the fact that he never takes Sasuke in account as a bad example

I mean he is screaming at Guren that she is bad because she serves Orochimaru but what about Sasuke? He also serves Orochimaru now but somehow it doesn't stop him from going after him so why Yuukimaru can't go after Guren

His obssesion with Sasuke really starts to get on my nerves
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 21:22   Link #53
CubeE
Taju Kage Unagi No Jutsu!

I guess I'll see you guys in late May or early June then. These fillers are pretty terrible in my opinion. It's like they take one step forward and two steps back every episode. Yukimaru sounds like an autistic girl on antipsychotics and Guren is just boring. Also, what is up with that ambiguously gendered blue gumby?
CubeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 10:38   Link #54
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Geez...Those that hate fillers still manage find a way to watch it anyway just so they can whine about it later...Are some of you closet masochists?

It's only mostly filler, because there are still some elements that are derived from the manga storyline...The Three-Tails is manga, Deidara/Tobi's later appearance to capture the Three-tails is manga, Yukimaru is based off a character design of an unnamed Jinchurikki in a group-shot spread of all the hosts that was released with a manga chapter, and then everything else is filler...

So what if it's filler? Is there some written rule that all anime episodes have to follow the manga storyline scene-by-scene? Sure, we all want to see the manga animated, but it's not like the 100% filler episodes that plagued the second half of the original "Naruto" anime series...For all practical purposes, it's better to have just a half-filler arc to keep a safe buffer distance from the manga than to run out of material and default to completely filler episodes until enough manga material is released...
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 11:21   Link #55
neshru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
Geez...Those that hate fillers still manage find a way to watch it anyway just so they can whine about it later...
So true, lol...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
Are some of you closet masochists?
They are just haters.
Old 2009-03-30, 18:57   Link #56
CubeE

Don't call me a hater. I absolutely love the canon anime. Perhaps I'm just spoiled because I found out about Naruto after Shippuuden had already started so I got to skip an entire season of Naruto filler as soon as I realized how bad it was. My main problem with this filler is that it doesn't add much depth to the story. The filler parts to the Zombie Brothers arc were great. They did an excellent job of making Asuma's death a more powerful moment than it was in the manga. This filler arc bothers me because it isn't particularly creative, exciting or useful. From the looks of it a lot of people agree with me. Don't liken me to some kind of hater in the manga thread. Kishi's been doing a great job. It's just tough not to watch the anime and become frustrated as (IMO) it has so much potential to be better than the manga.

We've gone over some of this before. Yes they could have done it more creatively (such as following the Akatsuki more closely as one contributor here suggested), and yes that wouldn't sit well with their Japanboy fanbase so it's probably a bad idea financially. That doesn't mean I have to like what they are doing. It seems that they are sacrificing artistic merit for profitability.

Despite all that I'll probably still end up watching the anime. Sigh.....
Old 2009-03-30, 22:27   Link #57
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
I think this arc, while may not be a masterpiece, also isn't entirely lackluster...

Some things are pointless and unnecessary; Orochimaru's goons that are following Guren around could have been done without and seem to get in the way of any interesting character or story development, not to mention they lower the standards of the main characters, such as Kakashi that just went on equal footing with two Akatsuki members at the same time and now just nearly got his ass kicked by some potential lab rat of Orochimaru's...

Other things are livable, if others are unbearable; Yukimaru probably doesn't have enough justice as some sort of autistic crack child that's supposed to be a Junchirikki, even though he looks more confident in his manga design with the other hosts...But Guren has some interesting potential for a filler character, given her mysterious strength with a Crystal Style technique, her ties to Orochimaru, and the evolving relationship between her and Yukimaru...

And "Home is where someone is thinking about you" is becoming the most piss-annoying cliche we've heard from Naruto since the good ol' days of "Believe it" and "That's my ninja way"...

It may not add much depth to the story, but it's making a scene from the manga more interesting than it originally did...Deidara and Tobi's bout with the Three-Tails capture lasted only a couple pages and was met with little resistance from the Three-Tails and no resistance from the rest of the world...The entire thing was glossed over like a fact and not like a scene...Yugito Nii had more time on the scene as the Two-Tails and was actually shown to resist Hidan and Kakazu while any resistance the Three-Tails may have given to Deidara and Tobi was completely skipped...I thought the scene where Guren tries to suppress the Three-Tails was executed pretty nice and exciting, since the tailed beasts are supposedly weak without a host to control the power...

And of course, we haven't even allowed for Deidara and Tobi to make an appearance at the lake yet...

I say wait for this arc to finish before passing judgment...
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 23:30   Link #58
CubeE

I agree with most of what you said. They're all fair sentiments that you have just expressed. I am looking forward to seeing more of my favorite Akatsuki (Deidara). I mean honestly, how badass is it to lose an arm and smile about it? Then to lose your other arm and laugh it off yet again?. I also loved the continuation of the art discussion. First it was the fleeting v. eternal debate with Sasori and now it's originality v. consumerism with Tobi. That in itself is meta and ironic considering it's coming from a mass-produced product in an episode made solely to eek out as much money as possible from the Naruto brand. Well maybe I'm just reading too much into it all. Overall I agree that the arc could still be somewhat salvaged. They just gotta be more liberal with Akatsuki and maybe throw an epic battle royale in there toward the end with the Oro Gang, the Leaf Crew and the Cloud Posse all at once.
Old 2009-03-31, 01:00   Link #59
neshru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubeE View Post
Don't call me a hater.
I don't. I'm just saying that there are people that like to bitch for the sake of bitching.
Old 2009-03-31, 01:41   Link #60
DeDe
Ino-Shika-Cho

Quote:
I don't. I'm just saying that there are people that like to bitch for the sake of bitching.
I think it's more the reaction of having a long filler arc, then returning to canon, and now another long filler arc. People are wondering what is happening to Shippuden. Maybe if it was spaced out more or in smaller doses.

The anime is starting to return to that feeling of Part 1 filler when fans just lost interest and didn't care. I can see from the responses in various forums. During the Zombie Twin Arc the episode thread here would get 7-9 pages of pure talk. Now it's sometimes only a page or two and most if it is complaining about filler. Same thing on most other forums. The interest in the anime has gone way down.

I imagine the ratings are still holding in Japan. The real question is whether DVD sales are affected. Will the more hardcore fans want to buy DVDs of just filler? I am curious to how the Fire Temple/Sora Arc fared in sales in Japan.