Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-29, 18:13   Link #21
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
And yeah, there are an assload of yaoi anime or do I have to call it shounen-ai?
Is there really? When I see a preview of a season, there is at most two yaoi series. A friend of mine is an avid yaoi fan(girl), and she often complains to me about that so I am pretty sure the choice when it comes to yaoi anime is more or less just as limited as the choice when it comes to yuri anime.

Quote:
Yuri doesn't appeal to most men at all.
Yaoi doesn't appeal to most women either. Quite possibly to a bigger percentage of female anime viewers than the percentage of male viewers who like yuri but the majority? I don't think so.

Quote:
And it isn't aimed at men either
Yes, it is - at least a big part of it. Maybe I was wrong when I said most but there is a whole magazine dedicated to yuri manga aimed at men - Yuri Hime S, some of the stories in Yuri Hime itself have lots of fanservice and moe and other things associated with products aimed at men - if you have seen anything by say Chi-Ran you will know what I mean. And when it comes to anime, even the totally lacking fanservice Marimite has a large male following, so yes I really do not think yuri appeals only to lesbian women and those who produce it seem to agree with me.

Quote:
And it isn't aimed at men either - the only yuri I can think of that's aimed at men is Strawberry Panic! and Kannazuki which are the opposite of mature yuri.
What about Simoun with its tons of fanservice? Or Mai HiME? Isn't the latter easily the most popular anime with yuri element in the last several years? It is very obviously aimed at men.

Old 2008-09-29, 18:29   Link #22
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Have to agree with the op, there are very few licensed yuri series (at least compared to yaoi manga) when there are toooons of amazing stuff to be found there. Even more disheartening is when you find out the only series available are those on the titillating side (not to say they're not appreciated once in awhile). There is a particular scanlation group that focuses on unlicensed yuri (quality stuff, that is), so if you're interested...
Old 2008-09-29, 18:46   Link #23
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Simoun?! Aimed at men?! wait, Simoun has fanservice?!
Old 2008-09-29, 18:56   Link #24
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
wait, Simoun has fanservice?!
Er, are you being sarcastic? Now I love Simoun and all but it has tons of fanservice, there is not really another reason for the Sybillae outfits to be so skimpy, is there? So much so in the first episode that the first fansub came out with the warning "this is not hentai". Stupid warning indeed but indicative. Kiss powered aircraft were probably powered in that way and not merely by the spiritual, romantic or whatever bond between the two Sybillae because it looked hot in the trailer.

Old 2008-09-29, 19:34   Link #25
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Er, are you being sarcastic? Now I love Simoun and all but it has tons of fanservice, there is not really another reason for the Sybillae outfits to be so skimpy, is there? So much so in the first episode that the first fansub came out with the warning "this is not hentai". Stupid warning indeed but indicative. Kiss powered aircraft were probably powered in that way and not merely by the spiritual, romantic or whatever bond between the two Sybillae because it looked hot in the trailer.
I think you're just underestimating the show : p
Old 2008-09-30, 11:14   Link #26
Nemuru

Lol, seems like this threads been hijack over a nonsensical debate. I'm also in need of help finding new yuri manga/anime but leaning more towards manga related.

You should give these series a try but there's alot better alternative but most have been mention already.

Yuri ("shoujo-ai" I really hate using this term)

Battle Athlete Victory
Blue Drop

Yuri-undertone/Best Friend

GateKeeper 21
Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko
Madlax
El Cazador de la Bruja
Alien 9
Kaleido Star

Figure 17 (highly recommended, although might not be what you're after)
Strike Witches
Sky Girls
Closed Thread