AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-30, 13:33   Link #1
Sean Gaffney
Nomad of the Time Streams

Maria-sama ga Miteru Novel Vol 23 "Kumori Glass no Mukougawa"

This has been out for about a month, but English-speaking fans know next to nothing about it. Has anyone read it? kj1980?

I can presume that the Yumi/Touko situation remains status quo, owing to a huge lack of Y/T rosary fanart.
Old 2006-05-02, 18:37   Link #2
lordwu

You are right in that the sister situation hasn't changed at all in this volume. However, through describing the "all-girls" sleep over party at Sachiko's place after new year, readers can see that Yumi has stregthened her resolution of helping out Touko and keeping her close. I suspect that the situation will be resolved in the next volume.
Old 2006-05-06, 05:49   Link #3
Sean Gaffney

Woo, sleepover! Thanks.
Old 2006-05-23, 12:00   Link #4
dxanato

Send a message via ICQ to dxanato Send a message via AIM to dxanato Send a message via Yahoo to dxanato
any chance any one read the 24 novel yet?
Old 2006-05-23, 14:47   Link #5
lordwu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxanato
any chance any one read the 24 novel yet?
Vol. 24 won't be out for another month. Mangaoh posted a brief preview of it just a week ago. So far we only know that Nana will be having a Kendo match with Rei, Yamayurikai's Christmas party, something may happen during the upcoming student council election. No hints on if there will be any progress on Yumi-Touko relationships which kinda disappointed me. Maybe Yoshino's "sister problem" will be solved sooner than Yumi's !?

By the way, the title of the 24th novel is Kamen no Actress (Mask of Actress).
Old 2006-05-23, 16:42   Link #6
Sean Gaffney

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwu
Vol. 24 won't be out for another month. Mangaoh posted a brief preview of it just a week ago. So far we only know that Nana will be having a Kendo match with Rei, Yamayurikai's Christmas party, something may happen during the upcoming student council election. No hints on if there will be any progress on Yumi-Touko relationships which kinda disappointed me. Maybe Yoshino's "sister problem" will be solved sooner than Yumi's !?

By the way, the title of the 24th novel is Kamen no Actress (Mask of Actress).
I can't imagine Yoshino's sister problem being resolved until Nana actually gets to be a first-year. I think they'd want to avoid going public, as can you IMAGINE the gossip?! Rosa Foetida En Bouton selects an underage kendo master for her soeur?! Mami would have an orgasm just thinking about that getting published.

As for the title, Kamen no Actress makes me think it will be about Touko, who is a drama club member, after all.
Old 2006-05-23, 17:34   Link #7
lordwu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Gaffney
I can't imagine Yoshino's sister problem being resolved until Nana actually gets to be a first-year. I think they'd want to avoid going public, as can you IMAGINE the gossip?! Rosa Foetida En Bouton selects an underage kendo master for her soeur?! Mami would have an orgasm just thinking about that getting published.

As for the title, Kamen no Actress makes me think it will be about Touko, who is a drama club member, after all.
I think this volume would delve into the triangular relationships between Rei, Yoshino and Nana more. Will Yoshino explode seeing Rei and Nana getting too close and how will she act? How does Nana feel about Yoshino? These are some of the things I look forward of reading in this volume.

Yes, the title does imply that this volume will be about Touko. We'll probably learn more about this volume when the cover comes out.
Old 2006-05-24, 08:35   Link #8
dxanato

Send a message via ICQ to dxanato Send a message via AIM to dxanato Send a message via Yahoo to dxanato
Thank you both for your reply. I am a bit dissappoint that Touko will be Yumi soeur. I look forward to learn what happen next.
Old 2006-05-30, 15:13   Link #9
Ialdaboth

While we are on the subject of printed material, Gatts on Animeondvd posted the ISBN of a Hibiki Reine art-book scheduled for july :

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/book/4049339
Old 2006-06-30, 19:55   Link #10
Sean Gaffney

So. It's now July 1st in Japan. The new MariMite novel came out yesterday. Any spoilers yet?
Old 2006-08-03, 17:40   Link #11
Mentar
Banned

Anyone?

lordwu?

kj1980?

I'd really like to know too! ^_^
Old 2006-08-04, 02:52   Link #12
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
Anyone?

lordwu?

kj1980?

I'd really like to know too! ^_^
Sorry, as for myself, I've a hard time keeping up with the anime, so....

Why not PM the people you mentioned? I'm sure you already did, actually...

Last edited by raphaël; 2006-08-11 at 02:10.
Old 2006-08-10, 16:51   Link #13
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Give me time and be patient for the new sticky will be similar to the novel synopsis written in the Full Metal Panic thread.
Old 2006-08-10, 20:06   Link #14
dxanato

Thank you and I can't wait to read it.
Old 2006-08-11, 02:58   Link #15
Sean Gaffney

Yay, thanks!
Old 2006-08-26, 11:29   Link #16
Akai Hikari
ロサ・テスタ

Pleasantly surprised there's still some activity around here.

Just thought I'd chime in and do my bit.

Oh yeah and there are naturally spoilers so careful if you don't wish to read them.

Kumori garasu no Mukou gawa (Past the clouded window) is pretty much what lordwu said earlier. A sidenote event of some significance was when Sachiko comes out and finally tells her parents that she wishes her engagement with Kashiwagi Suguru to be cancelled. Suguru, as well as all members of the sleepover where there to hear this. The parents response was unexpectingly light, a simple "Oh. That's okay then." Turns out the engagement between Sachiko and Kashiwagi was based off a 'childhood promise' that Sachiko made to Kashiwagi when she was little. It was something Sachiko did not know. Sayako-sama (Sachiko mum) and Touru-ojisama (Sachiko dad, which we get to see a bit more this volume) were very easy with the decision and just told her to do as she wishes. Although Sachiko did turn down the offer from her dad that he would tell her grandfather about it, saying she will tell him directly.
Anyway so that was that. Personally it was quite sudden and I didn't really know how to react to it. It felt like the entire Yumi and Sachiko family problem (which was even brought up not too long ago through Kashiwagi's 'mid-boss' statement in Bara no Milfeuille) was dropped from the list of issues to be solved. I guess the face-to-face with grandfather is still left. Yet Yumi didn't do anything. Yumi's problems at the moment almost entirely have to do with Touko (and her problems, her family etc), which i guess could be tied back to Sachiko's family, but I'm not sure that was where the series had been heading. There's no secret that there's been voices of discontent from fans about the current direction. The prolonging of Yumi's souer issue (and hence the series, as that's all that's left really..) is definitely a contentious issue. (whether this is Konno-sensei's idea or not is different matter...)

Okay this is way longer than first planned and way too much digression it's not funny.

I'm just going to leave the long synopsis and spoiler to kj -_-

In Kamen no Akutoresu (The Masked Actress) the yamayurikai election is depicted and get to see Nana and Rei spar in some kendou. The Yellow rose family is given some airtime with more Nana, Rei getting ready to 'graduate' and Yoshino...well doing Yoshino things. (Like learning how to ride a bike.)
In the election Yumi, Yoshino and Shimako run for the 3 grand souer spots, as does surprise entrant Touko. The results are announced and Touko loses. Yet her face when seeing the results was one of relief.

And finally we come to the newest volume, Ookina Tobira, Chiisana Kagi (A Large Door, A Small Key) to be released on October 3.
Mangaoh synopsis reads:
"During the aftermath of the Yamayurikai election, Yumi and Noriko think about why Touko ran for a spot. Meanwhile Kashiwagi comes back from his ski trip and talks to Sachiko. He was worried about Yumi and Sachiko but..."

But? Well graduation is close. Yumi and Sachiko's previous outing together did end up giving Yumi further issues to overcome. Yet in the couple of Sachiko x Rei episodes of recent times it seems Sachiko is ready for graduation (she's going to Lillian Uni). The natural step for Yumi would be to fill Sachiko's void with a souer, Touko. Hmm.

Okay i better stop ranting about now :/
I've forgotten the things I was going to write about...

k scratch the anime stuff..should've read the other thread...

Last edited by Akai Hikari; 2006-08-26 at 11:46.
Old 2006-08-26, 12:24   Link #17
dxanato

Thank you Akai Hikari for the little bit of info on the lite novel.
Old 2006-08-26, 16:13   Link #18
Sean Gaffney

Well, I think the fans are coming to a realization that the series won't end with Sachiko's graduation, but Yumi's. At least that's where I think that Konno Oyuki is headed, and why the Yumi/Touko and Yoshino/Nana stuff is getting so much focus.

Thanks for the spoilers!
Old 2006-08-26, 20:34   Link #19
cynicalicious
I like pie.

*Starts thinking like a publisher who desperately wants to milk the series for another 15-20 books...*

If I were such a publisher, I'd make it so that Yumi and Touko *don't* become soeurs. Make it suitably angsty and painful, so it can fill 3 books or so, then you ensure that Yumi won't have a soeur candidate until the next crop comes to school, ensuring another 12-16 books, minimum, each one breathlessly anticipated by young women and otakus everywhere.

That's only if I was an evil publisher. But it would make for one hell of a plot twist, huh? Hey, elections are already over. It's getting a little late in the year to be picking soeurs. Why not wait another year? (Yeah, I know, the fans would go bonkers, but they'd buy the books anyway.)

That said, I'd like to see Yumi and Touko resolve it somehow. I think it would be fun to see Touko have to deal with Yumi as her Grande Soeur. And just because they become soeurs doesn't mean the series has to end there. Yumi's a main character, but there are all kinds of plots that still have to be tied up before the series can end.

*speculation mode OFF*
Old 2006-08-26, 21:20   Link #20
Lackadaisical

It would be interesting for the series to continue into the third year. The series wouldn't exactly run out of issues to deal with once the current Roses leave.

Noriko would need to get a petite soeur. The White Rose family has been fairly calm over the past few volumes. Would a new addition change that alongside the graduation of Shimako?

Yumi, Yoshino, and Shimako will be the leaders of the Yamiyurikai and, as such, could realistically be needed to deal with any number of problems that might pop up at the school. Just because things went relatively smoothly the first two years doesn't mean that would be true for a third year. Touko, if she becomes Yumi's petite soeur, would also need to find a petite soeur. Then there would be the problems with keeping in touch with Sachiko alongside other things.

So the boutons won the elections? I'm beginning to wonder if the boutons have ever lost that election. All five Yamiyurikai members we have seen elected were all boutons and Youko, Sei, and Eriko were also leaving their grande soeurs as the most recent candidates for pulling an upset three years ago.
Closed Thread