AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2015-08-02, 13:25   Link #1
Nerroth
NePoi!

2015 Canadian Federal Election

The 2015 Canadian federal election is officially underway, with Prime Minister Stephen Harper calling for a vote to be held on the 19th of October.

This will be an unusually long campaign by Canadian standards, and will see the governing Conservatives challenged by Thomas Mulcair's New Democratic Party, Justin Trudeau's Liberals, and a range of smaller and/or more regional parties (such as the Green Party, or the Québec nationalist Bloc Québécois).
Old 2015-08-02, 13:35   Link #2
ninjastarforcex
Read My Sig :)

i vote Jacky Mao
Old 2015-08-06, 21:33   Link #3
Darthtabby

One interesting thing I found out recently. Canadian political parties that get at least 10% of the vote get taxpayer funded rebates for 50% of their campaign costs (60% for individual candidates campaign costs). So Harper calling a double length campaign so he can use the higher spending limits to outspend his opponents is going to cost us millions of dollars.

Hope you all enjoy the extra attack ads in this double length campaign! After all, you're helping pay for them!
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-07, 16:46   Link #4
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

No matter what happens, my mantra for this election is "Tories out!"
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-07, 23:21   Link #5
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
No matter what happens, my mantra for this election is "Tories out!"
Something about Justin Trudeau's nice hair, though?

But seriously please kick Harper out. This way the Aussies may have some hope of kicking out Dear Mister Abbott. The Brits -- failhards -- already capitulated to that Eton scum for the continuation of the British Empire's very own Axis of Evil. I'd like to think the Anglophone world isn't completely doomed.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-12, 12:41   Link #6
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Elect this man Canada!
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Anyone who fight dragons and grows a beard instantly is a badass.
Old 2015-08-12, 18:11   Link #7
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Something about Justin Trudeau's nice hair, though?

But seriously please kick Harper out. This way the Aussies may have some hope of kicking out Dear Mister Abbott. The Brits -- failhards -- already capitulated to that Eton scum for the continuation of the British Empire's very own Axis of Evil. I'd like to think the Anglophone world isn't completely doomed.
TBH, I would love to see Trudeau getting up there. This country is in dire need of a younger face leading the country to bring hope in younger generations, but I also wouldn't mind if the NDP win this (they are currently leading in the polls). Still, the best years in my lifetime were with the Liberals in power.

The key battleground for this election will be the Great Toronto Area. It was because of them that the Tories got the majority 4 years ago, especially with that drunkard Rob Ford urging his people to vote conservative because he said it was best for the city of Toronto. He can piss off smoking his crack pipes and drinking beer without being a leader of anything.
Old 2015-08-12, 19:38   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Elect this man Canada!
I thought the Asian cross-dresser who drops into his arms was a nice touch myself.

I'm a bit surprised the production company gets to use the "Three Amigos" name. I'd have thought it was trademarked, but that's a tricky set of law. A court may rule their use does not compete with the movie and allow them to keep it. Adding in the fact that they are in Canada, who knows what jurisdiction applies.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-14, 00:24   Link #9
Darthtabby

Unfortunately This Hour Has 22 Minutes is on its off season right now and will probably remain that way until the election is almost over. But here's the next best thing:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/it-s...tion-1.3177372
Old 2015-10-19, 23:30   Link #10
LostSome

So we have a liberal government with a majority.
Please... No more of those long campaigns.

Hilary Clinton already send her congratulations to Trudeau. Even she`s glad Harper`s gone.
LostSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-20, 00:08   Link #11
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Harper thought he would win a war of attrition by deliberately setting up a very long campaign, but the tactic ended up backfiring big time. Trudeau only kept on growing stronger and stronger as time went by. Gotta give credit to him and to his team for the comeback even though people will say the NDP delivered the result more or less on a silver plate for the Liberals.

Anyway, I'm very happy to see a very young face now in charge of the country. I feel happy days coming ahead. We need to be back on the international stage where we used to be before Harper arrived.

Quote:
The message has been heard big time. It's now up to the rest of the Commonwealth to start waking up on their own accord.
Old 2015-10-20, 00:16   Link #12
ImperialKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Harper thought he would win a war of attrition by deliberately setting up a very long campaign, but the tactic ended up backfiring big time. Trudeau only kept on growing stronger and stronger as time went by. Gotta give credit to him and to his team for the comeback even though people will say the NDP delivered the result more or less on a silver plate for the Liberals.
Better the Liberals than the NDP and they've been relegated back down to third place which is how it should be.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm very happy to see a very young face now in charge of the country. I feel happy days coming ahead. We need to be back on the international stage where we used to be before Harper arrived.
People said the same thing about Obama and look where the US is right now. Justin is a guy who had the easy life and never had to work hard and got in because of his father's name and people are trying to resurrect him in that field and here I thought democratic countries despised monarchies yet here we are following the Americans in creating what is pretty much the Trudeau dynasty.

On that matter I'm confused to what you're talking about in regards to international stage...people keep talking about reputation but I'm not seeing what's that about?

As the Simpsons noted, Canada is simply America Jr., nobody knows much about Canada even less cares about it and a large portion of Americans think Canada is another state of the US and this was way before Harper even came in.

Canada isn't on the same level as China, Russia, or America in leading...well anything and never was.

And on that matter historically speaking the Liberals are pretty friendly with Foreign powers to begin with. The fact that the Conservatives had to eventually be friendly with China after a few years in power pretty much lays out how much economic and political clout China has.

I doubt Trudeau will change much and will probably continue Harper's policies; he did afterall went in with supporting stuff like Bill C-51 and the TPP. Trudeau admitted it himself, the Liberals have ALWAYS been pro-trade and that's what Harper has been doing. In regards to the National Inquiry if Trudeau does go through with it it'll just be another inquiry that has already been done in the past decades. He'll do one, give the Natives some money, and then nothing will be done in regards to the recommendations.

Jean Chretien came into power by saying he'll rip out the NAFTA but then went against his promise but nobody yells at him for it. He ripped out the military agreements that left us with a pathetic military that made us the laughing stock but did anybody say anything? Nope.

In any case I'm not too concerned about this; Canadians in generally do not like Politicians being in power for no more than 10 years and it was time for Harper to leave. Plus the Liberals tend to be similar to the Conservatives and it's time for the Conservatives to clean up their house and realize that they need to change things with their party.
ImperialKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-20, 01:05   Link #13
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialKnight View Post
People said the same thing about Obama and look where the US is right now.
In a far better place than Bush left it and what Presidents Palin McCain and Romney would have, for lack of a better word, "accomplished." Barack Obama is not the heroic figure he was portrayed to be during the heydays of 2008, but his legacy will be placed in context soon enough.

As I understand it, Trudeau is more centrist than leftist. He will likely fail to stop TPP -- that blood pact is not viewed so dimly by his type, I would think -- but I suspect he will also not do what the Conservatives under Stephen Harper have done: thrash Canada's international respect as a moderating, progressive influence, greedily destroy the Canadian environment, push voodoo supply side economics, inflame racial tensions with nativist*, xenophobic pandering, and restrain the march of social progress.

*I'm not sure this is the right word, given the Tories' antipathy for Canada's actual native peoples.

The Liberals also seemingly promised a swath of "open government" platform campaign promises, but as with Obama I fear they will not fulfill such promises nearly as well as they should. Still, better a lesser failure than full speed ahead to 1984 ala Stephen "Security" Harper.

I'm sure many Canadians will be disappointed with the promise of the Trudeaumania five years from now. I hope they will also be able to look back and find a Canada that successfully avoided the hatchet job the Tories would have continued to do.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-20, 02:17   Link #14
ImperialKnight

Quote:
In a far better place than Bush left it and what Presidents Palin McCain and Romney would have, for lack of a better word, "accomplished." Barack Obama is not the heroic figure he was portrayed to be during the heydays of 2008, but his legacy will be placed in context soon enough.
My point being is that the media hyped him to be a savior and the young population easily fell for it.

Trudeau is simply doing what Obama did, championing himself as another savior and the population is buying it simply because of his father's name and his good looks.

Quote:
As I understand it, Trudeau is more centrist than leftist. He will likely fail to stop TPP -- that blood pact is not viewed so dimly by his type, I would think
Well he came out in support of it so why would he stop it? He said it himself he's pro-trade. Liberals have always been protrade and we're a first world country that's based globally. These things you have to join in or you'll lose out of it. That's basic global economics.

Quote:
-- but I suspect he will also not do what the Conservatives under Stephen Harper have done: thrash Canada's international respect as a moderating, progressive influence, greedily destroy the Canadian environment, push voodoo supply side economics, inflame racial tensions with nativist*, xenophobic pandering, and restrain the march of social progress.
Again I've been asking and so far none of you guys can give me an actual proper example it's like you're just fear mongering.

I mean if you're talking about the Kyoto agreement Jean Chretien just did it to make himself look good when he never had any intention to actually carry it through.

The pipelines? One way or the other that oil is going to go through. Funny enough when a certain mine in BC failed and caused massive environmental damage the media said nothing about it. When 100 ducks in Alberta die all of a sudden it's an international crisis.

Inflame racial tensions? Issues with aboriginals have been ongoing way back. Only difference was Harper was the politician who actually said "no" we're not going to keep giving money. The liberal government had done 2 inquiries just to make it look like they were going to do something and then shoved it under the carpet.

Quote:

The Liberals also seemingly promised a swath of "open government" platform campaign promises, but as with Obama I fear they will not fulfill such promises nearly as well as they should. Still, better a lesser failure than full speed ahead to 1984 ala Stephen "Security" Harper.
Of course not. He just said it so he can enthrall the voters and get in. If you're going to hold Harper on that then I'm questioning why you're giving Trudeau the benefit of the doubt. You can't have it both ways either you hold them to the same standard or you're being completely biased.

Quote:
I'm sure many Canadians will be disappointed with the promise of the Trudeaumania five years from now. I hope they will also be able to look back and find a Canada that successfully avoided the hatchet job the Tories would have continued to do.
What hatchet job? If you hadn't noticed a lot of countries are crapping and not to mention the dozens of crises going around the globe yet you people go on saying it's all Harper's fault. How would he have control over what's going on in Syria or OPEC in a price war with shale oil gas? In comparison Canada had weathered the storm pretty good.

I give Trudeau 10 years which is pretty standard for most politicians and then we'll be sick of him just like we did with Chretien. A friend of my joked, "We loved Chretien but after about 7-8 years we all wanted to shoot the guy"

And for the record, Harper's arrogance and strict control cost him in the long run.
ImperialKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-20, 08:08   Link #15
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Wyatt Scott only managed to win 881 votes in his riding out of about 40,000 cast. His advertisement garnered attention among talk-show hosts south of the border but not apparently from his possible constituents.

http://www.abbynews.com/news/334416851.html
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-20, 10:09   Link #16
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

congrats to the canucks, now can you guys please take back ted cruz and justin beiber.
Old 2015-10-20, 10:21   Link #17
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
All I know is that family who are pretty conservative have been calling to the end of the world with this result .

I do wonder if part of it was that you almost saw no Conservative ads that were about the Conservatives themselves and what they were going to do with another majority. Just months and months of attack ads on the Liberals and Trudeau. I don't know the guy is going to do an amazing job, who knows, but some of those ads were pretty darn childish.

In the end we will see what the change leads to. Hopefully this time the Liberals won't have the kind of run that makes them leave the leadership stage in shame for a long time. Also hopefully Trudeau can avoid any policies that will leave me shaking my head for decades like his father (thanks for the whole mandatory french in schools thing, that was annoying).
Old 2015-10-20, 10:31   Link #18
Darthtabby

I'm enough of a realist to realize that electing Trudeau is not going to solve all our country's problems overnight. I also acknowledge that some of the changes Harper has brought about are likely to stick despite the new government. But I think there are differences between Harper and Trudeau and that those differences do mean something.

Anyway, congrats to our new Prime Minister to be for managing a massive come from behind victory in the election campaign. Now comes the hard part.
Old 2015-10-20, 15:01   Link #19
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialKnight View Post
Justin is a guy who had the easy life and never had to work hard and got in because of his father's name and people are trying to resurrect him in that field and here I thought democratic countries despised monarchies yet here we are following the Americans in creating what is pretty much the Trudeau dynasty.
He was a snowboarding instructor in Whistler and night club bouncer while doing his diploma at the UBC. He then became a high/primary school teacher in British Columbia (French, Math and Drama teacher) in both private and public schools until he came back to Montréal (over 5 years of teaching).

He's probably the most "normal guy" PM Canada has ever had. As strange as it sound.

I kinda agree about the Trudeau dynasty thing though.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-31, 01:52   Link #20
Jagger

... I would watch that sex tape
Jagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, elections