AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-07-15, 14:31   Link #21
EroKing

Hard to be a manga reader and say anything positive about the show. So, here's a pic...

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-13 at 10:30.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-15, 20:07   Link #22
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
@EroKing I feel you, man.

But occasionally, Kazuya and Chizuru have okay moments...like here when they are just talking about real things like real people do and sharing a little more a bit about each other. That stuff is fine.

MAMI. Just because someone leaves the door unlocked does NOT mean you can just go in. But I do enjoy how scary she can immediately turn. xD That part of her is fun to watch at least.

.......oh FACK....I'm so gonna hate this next episode. I remember how much I hated it in the manga.
Old 2022-07-16, 10:38   Link #23
Ghostfriendly

So much wasted potential. It could have been about tough, beautiful tarts-with-heart who don't need to tie themselves to one man, with a job that is sleazy and dangerous by its nature that they're doing as best they can for their own (believable) reasons (experience for acting or idol work, that's going to scandalously bar them from either?). Berserk, Eden Endless World and many other Japanese titles have tried to romanticise sex industry and actually pulled it off as far as that's possible. Plenty of potential for characterising the 'girlfriends', and their clients, so long as we remember that the latter are by nature, scumbags - scumbags can still be characterised a great deal.

Instead, we have another show filled with female degradation, labour and needless suffering in cause of getting a male idiot laid. There is basic female characterisation, in the cause of getting an idiot laid - and toxic stereotypes in Mami's case. No, not an idiot with a heart of gold, do not forget he's just a scumbag. If the manga is taking a unconscionably long time for him to end up with Chizuru, this is possibly the best thing about it.

Last edited by Ghostfriendly; 2022-07-16 at 11:05.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-16, 14:40   Link #24
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
No, not an idiot with a heart of gold, do not forget he's just a scumbag.
So....I'm not really a fan of Kazuya anymore (yeah seriously I did root for him at one point lol but later arcs in the manga ruined my positiveness for him, sadly)

He is frustrating, stupid, annoying, self-loathing, a coward and a bit of a perv.

But I don't think he's "a scumbag". I think he's pathetic yes....but an actual scumbag would have sex with as many girls as possible and treat them like complete shit afterwards. *coughcoughMakoto*

When I think of scumbag MCs, School Days, Plunderer, Sora Otoshimono certainly come to my mind. But not Kano Kari.

Kazuya's obsession with Chizuru is quite eye-rolling and his sexual fantasies are a bit gross...but he never actually acts on those feelings. He doesn't force her into situations that make her uncomfortable for his own selfish reasons. He really and truly does want to see her be happy and make her dream come true because he admires her so much.

Maybe we all have different definitions of what "scumbag MCs" are...but to me, it's someone who's completely selfish and does horrible things for their own gain. I can't say in good faith that describes Kazuya in the least bit. He respects Chizuru. Actually a little too much. He has no respect for himself...and that is what makes him rather unlikable.
Old 2022-07-18, 14:30   Link #25
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

Kazuya is pretty pathetic. Just his thought process is a bit too cringey for me, but in his good moments, he genuinely means well.

Anyways, two other things caught my attention. First was when he almost dropped Chizuru from the balcony. If he were to pull her back to his side, when falling, wouldnt she land on him, and backwards? He'd be on the bottom facing upwards and her back would be against him, also facing forwards. Yet he ended up "on top" of her, or rather, over her. Physics doesn't make sense.

Second is when Mami was about to enter, why not just hide Chizuru on the balcony and have her climb back to her side instead of hiding in the kitchen, 2 steps away from discovery?

The show's premise had a lot of potential. It's just a big clusterfuck now. But I guess I'll continue watching as there's been nothing like this before and the dumpster fire will just keep burning.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-18, 18:38   Link #26
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumcyclonex View Post
Anyways, two other things caught my attention. First was when he almost dropped Chizuru from the balcony. If he were to pull her back to his side, when falling, wouldnt she land on him, and backwards? He'd be on the bottom facing upwards and her back would be against him, also facing forwards. Yet he ended up "on top" of her, or rather, over her. Physics doesn't make sense.
Anime physics at their finest .
Quote:
Second is when Mami was about to enter, why not just hide Chizuru on the balcony and have her climb back to her side instead of hiding in the kitchen, 2 steps away from discovery?
I think it was a case of being shocked and desperate to hide so Mami didn't see anything (to the point where Chizuru remembered her shoes but not her handbag). Chizuru probably wouldn't have wanted to climb without someone spotting her either.
Old 2022-07-18, 22:20   Link #27
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumcyclonex View Post
Kazuya is pretty pathetic. Just his thought process is a bit too cringey for me, but in his good moments, he genuinely means well.
I feel the same way. It bothers me a lot that this guy has no direction and goals in his life and made a protagonist with a main heroine being literally "too good" for him. I hope he gets a spine and gets a clear vision about his life down the road instead of just having a goal of supporting his crush with whatever income he has.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-22, 14:02   Link #28
Frontier

Nobody makes Kazuya squirm quite like Mami can, and she has him emotionally wrapped around his finger while acting like she has his well-being at heart...when really she's already plotting her revenge for carrying on this farce with Chizuru in front of her. And it looks like her payback involves Kibe .

Just your daily reminder that Ruka is Kazuya's "official" girlfriend and she wants to treat him to dinner like a real girlfriend. Which kind of involves forcing herself into his place when he never actually agreed to let her do that, but you have to admire her tenacity and enthusiasm, if nothing else .

I was wondering if Ruka even knew what she was doing cooking-wise, but she really planned this out...Turtle Soup to get Kazuya in the mood, telling her parents she was staying with a friend so she could stay the night, and condoms in case one thing lead to another (and she was fully prepared for if they do). Ruka wastes no time .

And thus the God of Romcoms strikes and causes a typhoon that gets Ruka soaked and leaves her stuck with Kazuya because he can't send her out in that...and we get treated to a Ruka shower scene, Ruka going boyfriend shirt with no pants (for a priceless planty flash), and looking pretty great post-shower .

I love how Kazuya tells Ruka to quite down so Chizuru doesn't hear and her response is to...keep yelling so Chizuru hears. This girl is unreal .

Yeah, no surprise Kazuya would have to rub one out in the shower. And Ruka got a good idea of what happened (she's no innocent maiden) .

Ruka's giving Kazuya all the sexcuses he needs to have his way with her, but while he admits he's incredibly attracted to her and her cuteness and wants her body...without love he just can't let himself do that. But he does enjoy her company despite all the stress, which is enough for Ruka to call it a win .

I guess Mami isn't the only girl who likes to make an impact as Ruka leaves with a kiss and yelling for all to hear (especially Chizuru) that she and Kazuya basically did it last night. And Chizuru is left reeling from the implication. This is getting juicy .

Next week...tokusatsu Chizuru? I'd recognize that height and bust anywhere .
Old 2022-07-22, 21:09   Link #29
Chiibi

The characters drink hot milk in this episode. I've seen other anime where they do it as well.

Okay, I want to discuss this.

Seriously, I do NOT get the Japanese loving "hot milk" so much??? Warm milk is totally disgusting....so I would think HOT milk would be even worse?

I can't drink milk anymore but when I did, IT NEEDED TO BE ICE.COLD..
Old 2022-07-23, 14:36   Link #30
Alchemist007
*Author

Was originally going to just speed through this season because of how insufferable the guy is. But clumps of 4 eps will have to do.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2022-07-23, 15:06   Link #31
Dextro
He Without a Title

Honestly, if I were rooting for Kazuya I would have dropped this show ages ago. I'm watching this because the MC is a complete looser and I love the chaos, that's it. It is a bit sad that best girl Chizuru needs to be dragged into this but such is the price for trashy entertainment. Now give me more Mami season 2, I crave more chaos!
Old 2022-07-23, 22:59   Link #32
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Why does he treat Ruka so badly and Mami so well, again?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-23, 23:22   Link #33
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Basically he puts Mami on a pedestal (kind of like Chizuru) because she was his first girlfriend and he got a few "firsts" with her, while Ruka more kind of forced herself into his life and he still hasn't quite figured out how he feels about that.
Old 2022-07-24, 13:37   Link #34
Chiibi

Quote:
Why does he treat Ruka so badly
I too would treat her badly if I ever ran into someone like this.

Much bitchslapping would ensue. Possible punching and kicking.

Think the ending of Oreimo's OVAs between Kirino and what's-her-name? Manami?

Last edited by Chiibi; 2022-07-24 at 14:52.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-24, 14:39   Link #35
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Honestly, if I were rooting for Kazuya I would have dropped this show ages ago. I'm watching this because the MC is a complete looser and I love the chaos, that's it.
Literally the only reason to watch (or read) this series.
Quote:
Ruka pretty much only exists so the shippers have someone to hate.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-28, 11:19   Link #36
EroKing

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-13 at 10:18.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-28, 18:12   Link #37
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroKing View Post
Ruka's not going to be outdone by Chizuru in baseball .
Old 2022-07-28, 18:48   Link #38
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
I too would treat her badly if I ever ran into someone like this.

Much bitchslapping would ensue. Possible punching and kicking.
Ruka and Mami are misogynistic stereotypes essential to a 'Forgetting Sarah Marshal'-like male-centred romantic comedy. Where actions of males are always interpreted in the best possible light, however stomach turning, and women exists to cause men problems either by wanting to sleep with them or refusing to sleep with them. Ep4 was a case in point, with the most contrived, degrading distortion of human sexual relations; to cut a long story short, the girls can't be blamed for trashy writing.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-29, 07:20   Link #39
Dextro
He Without a Title

Honestly, the irony of it all is that Mami is a well written character. The problem is that, every other character in the show, is terribly written. Including Chizuru (much as it pains me to admit it).

Now, don't get me wrong, Mami is still a hateful character regardless of what any other character in the show says or does. She's on a crusade to fsck over her ex for the simple fact that he looked to have gotten a new girlfriend after she dumped him. That is, honestly, an amazing basis for a character! I'd love to see a Mami-like character in a better written show. Can you imagine how amazing the story could be if Kazuya wasn't a mysognistic pathetic loser and the other girls weren't male fantasy stereotypes? It would make for some amazing relationship drama!
Old 2022-07-29, 14:03   Link #40
Frontier

Things are already awkward between Kazuya and Chizuru over the Ruka thing, but at least Kazuya gets to witness au naturale Chizuru first thing in the morning, and it's quite the sight .

I kind of feel bad for Kazuya that Chizuru has so little faith or expectations in him as a man that she immediately disbelieves him when he's completely honest about everything that did (and didn't) happen with Ruka. Although the fact that she's so cold to him even by her standards and feels so thrown off by it says a lot about her as well .

When in doubt about Chizuru and needing emotional support, just rent Sumi! It's nice to see her again and hear plenty of cute Rie Takahashi noises, and Sumi really commits to this date with Kazuya. Kazuya has to barely restrain himself from lewding Sumi, but the pair seem to have a genuinely nice and fun date before they get to the meat of it .

Sumi trying to rival Komi with the cute noises, facial expressions, and creative ways of communicating .

So Chizuru's enough of a struggling actress that she's even doing Hero Shows as a Rent-a-Fighter (and of course she's Rent-a-Pink). Admittedly she fills out the costume very well and steals the show, unsurprisingly, and manages to do all those stunts in heels, which is pretty impressive. It also reminded me of how Sora Amamiya provided her voice to Kamen Rider Build .

Although what's, like, the premise of this group? Do they get rented out to fight evil and save kids ?

Sumi is playing a pretty solid wingwoman for Kazuya and Chizuru's relationship and enthusiastically gives him her support and advice...but it seems like Sumi's own feelings for Kazuya are growing and giving her mixed feelings about it, to the point where she can't help but ask for his birthday and treasure that knowledge with the look of a girl absolutely in love .

It's Chizuru's birthday and the audience gets treated with a Chizuru shower scene !

Admittedly, leaving the gift on Chizuru's balcony is a pretty smooth move, although...picked plums? I mean, thoughtful in its own way, and it's very Kazuya but...pickled plums? Though it leaves Chizuru happy and in a better mood, so Kazuya nailed it, in his own way .