AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2023-07-07, 18:51   Link #21
Chosen_Hero

"Hey guys, did you know that the Japanese character is interesting, super special, unique and everyone is awed by her? Especially when next to these cookie cutter personalities you have seen a million times by now... she's like Goku and Luffy but Japanese, so please like our character."

It wasn't a bad first episode but still... it's gonna have to do some pretty interesting stuff to stand out from other similar series.
Old 2023-07-07, 18:52   Link #22
Wandering Soul

Guess this one is following the manga more than the original LN since it cut out the prologue, but I feel like the loss of the original hook can still be managed.
Old 2023-07-07, 19:05   Link #23
grecefar

this was... I don't know. I spend all the chapter wondering were was security in the troll incident, bu yeah, anime logic.

I'll give it 3 chapters.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-07, 22:20   Link #24
Alchemist007
*Author

Feels like LN harry potter, but I didn't dislike it. It has some feel of wonder that makes you want to know a bit more about the universe, the backgrounds and setting in general seemed a notch above your usual schlock too.
Old 2023-07-07, 22:57   Link #25
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
this was... I don't know. I spend all the chapter wondering were was security in the troll incident, bu yeah, anime logic.

I'll give it 3 chapters.
The teachers in this series have a very strong hands-off policy, to say least. No one holds your hand in this school.
Old 2023-07-08, 00:30   Link #26
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-08, 07:32   Link #27
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Great animation, but dont feel anything for it atm, it felt like watching an out of context clip of something that looks good. As others said, too much exposition, but guess they're doing very literal translation from novel.

I'll give 2-3 episodes before I make an opinion on it.
Old 2023-07-08, 08:01   Link #28
grecefar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
The teachers in this series have a very strong hands-off policy, to say least. No one holds your hand in this school.
We saw the handlers on all creatures even with the troll, so where were them?, the troll escape and they just leave it alone?
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-08, 08:11   Link #29
larethian

2 pages of casting I know not a single name.
And jeezus, from Alderamin's author. I want the mindgasms but I don't want any heartache from this. Hopefully.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-08, 08:12   Link #30
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
We saw the handlers on all creatures even with the troll, so where were them?, the troll escape and they just leave it alone?
Oh right, I thought those were students so I went back to the LN to check:

Quote:
From there, the cleanup of the situation was speedy. A number of the magical beasts in other areas had been inspired by the troll’s rampage to begin rioting as well, but they were immediately suppressed by Kimberly faculty and older students. Oliver and the other new pupils were told that the reason they’d been forced to take matters into their own hands was down to bad positioning—in other words, terrible luck right at the start of their academy year.
Considering the troll has about 30 more years of labor left and was worth about three million on the market, they weren't going to let it go.
Old 2023-07-08, 15:12   Link #31
Greenish Growth

Yeah, I guess the main problem I had with the first episode was the way the characters acted and reacted. It felt so unnatural. It was as if they were trying to act cute and be funny almost to the point of putting on a false face.

Reminds me of that story I read where the characters were stuck in a game/novel story or whatever. At some critical points they lost control of their bodies and were forced to act unnaturally as if they were the game's/novel's cliched characters.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-08, 22:33   Link #32
Strahan

Have the core cast met before or something? I seem to recall them saying something about not even knowing names yet or some such, so I assume not but they all get buddy buddy super fast. I get people can make friends quickly, but when they went to the lunch and blond is like "we all met up, all that's left is the girl at the nurse's office". That makes it sound like they're already thinking of themselves as a unit. Pretty fast on the grouping up, heh.

Looks interesting though. I haven't watched a magic school show since Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha, so I guess it's time for another. Oooh, just got to the end and saw Nanao in the fountain. If they keep stuff like that up, I'll definitely keep watching hehe. Kinda funny the flashback blond is like look all you want... while covering up the good stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Weird then that the headmistress apologized over it. Also even if they do have that policy, I kinda doubt they are going to expect kids arriving fresh who haven't had a single class yet to handle something like that.

It more than likely just boils down to the writer needing some action to show off de-gozaru chick's magic hair dye lol

Last edited by Strahan; 2023-07-08 at 22:46.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-09, 09:06   Link #33
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenish Growth View Post
Yeah, I guess the main problem I had with the first episode was the way the characters acted and reacted. It felt so unnatural. It was as if they were trying to act cute and be funny almost to the point of putting on a false face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
Have the core cast met before or something? I seem to recall them saying something about not even knowing names yet or some such, so I assume not but they all get buddy buddy super fast. I get people can make friends quickly, but when they went to the lunch and blond is like "we all met up, all that's left is the girl at the nurse's office". That makes it sound like they're already thinking of themselves as a unit. Pretty fast on the grouping up, heh.
Lazy writing exists outside of isekai premises too. Sometimes I think starting on the isekai premise is a blessing since we at least expect stupid start there and its part of the charm.
Old 2023-07-09, 15:55   Link #34
Strahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Lazy writing exists outside of isekai premises too. Sometimes I think starting on the isekai premise is a blessing since we at least expect stupid start there and its part of the charm.
lol yea, I guess it helps to have some indicator that one should set the bar low to begin with... or maybe even just sit the bar on the floor
Old 2023-07-12, 04:36   Link #35
Applehell

The was a solid start. I'm little disappointed that they left out the prologue, but I get why the anime did it. It will like show up later.

Quote:
Did they really get buddy buddy super fast tho? One of the characters, Pete was pretty damn standoffish. The rest are decently good nature folk whom just worked together in heat of moment to helped out a fellow student an untimely end a moment ago. It would weird just drop that pretend never happened, especially when all new to the academy and that kind of thing leaves a good impression on people. Besides its not as if they were suddenly bearing their heart and life secrets to each other going on dates. It was typical fire-forged friend thing imo.

Quote:
Weird then that the headmistress apologized over it. Also even if they do have that policy, I kinda doubt they are going to expect kids arriving fresh who haven't had a single class yet to handle something like that.

It more than likely just boils down to the writer needing some action to show off de-gozaru chick's magic hair dye lol
It just means the school has "some" safety standards, but it's the bare minimum. However Headminstress follows up from that to point out it is not entirely uncommon for students to die to due for various reasons during the school year on their path becoming a proper mage due their studies, but it doesn't mean they encourage undo recklessness.

That said to be fair it should clear what happened to Katie wasn't an accident, we saw someone use magic her and remove controls on troll so she would be gravely injured if not killed outright.

Last edited by Applehell; 2023-07-12 at 06:10.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-12, 09:07   Link #36
Strahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
Did they really get buddy buddy super fast tho? One of the characters, Pete was pretty damn standoffish.
Yea, but he's obviously a tsundere. A person who really doesn't care for others and wants to be standoffish would likely not go along with the group at all. It's the fact they already think of themselves as a group that just seemed a little weird to me. I get it, the author wants to form the core protag lineup quickly and move on but just felt a bit forced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
It just means the school has "some" safety standards, but it's the bare minimum. However Headminstress follows up from that to point out it is not entirely uncommon for students to die to due for various reasons during the school year on their path becoming a proper mage due their studies, but it doesn't mean they encourage undo recklessness.

That said to be fair it should clear what happened to Katie wasn't an accident, we saw someone use magic her and remove controls on troll so she would be gravely injured if not killed outright.
No doubt. I was just referring to the statement that the explanation is the school is hands off; it may be a low interference model, but I'm sure they don't expect total noobs to handle things like this. The cause of the incident wasn't the issue, the show made that part clear. It was the lack of response.
Old 2023-07-12, 23:25   Link #37
alex_drian

I liked it. Good first episode but I don't feel it very Harry Potter-ish as fans claim it to be. What they have in common? Trolls and a red haired boy and brown haired girl? Doesn't seems so different of the average Magic Academy setting. Mashle is more Harry Potter-ish (even if only because is actively mocking it and it goes full shounen with evil organizations, enemies stronger than the last and wands with second release).

Quote:
Yea, but he's obviously a tsundere. A person who really doesn't care for others and wants to be standoffish would likely not go along with the group at all. It's the fact they already think of themselves as a group that just seemed a little weird to me. I get it, the author wants to form the core protag lineup quickly and move on but just felt a bit forced.
When is your first school day didn't you try to become acquainted with someone or it happens by chance and you try to stick to that person because is more confortable?

Actually I'm not sure. My social skills have always been shit.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-13, 04:28   Link #38
Applehell

Quote:
Eh, it makes sense to me. Like sure they all (outside of Pete) def taken more of liking to each other than they would have normally would have but that's entirely due to extreme ciormcustance they found themselves hours earlier, which is why it makes sense that everyone warmer to each other. They still didn't go beyond basic introductions, just established some sense of friendship & rapport, because why wouldn't they after that? Its not as if have anything better to do as first years, beyond studies. It makes more sense our cast would be more likely to talk one another due to the incident breaking the ice between them versus anyone else due even having less of connection.

Quote:
No doubt. I was just referring to the statement that the explanation is the school is hands off; it may be a low interference model, but I'm sure they don't expect total noobs to handle things like this. The cause of the incident wasn't the issue, the show made that part clear. It was the lack of response
Well its likely because this kind of thing has probably never happened before and the older students who were incharge of parade were doing fine keeping Troll and other monster separated from everyone else before tat sudden turn. Plus the whole thing with Katie itself happened so quickly only people near her would have been able to respond in time and even then it was barely.
Old 2023-07-13, 14:33   Link #39
Strahan

That's kinda shit security then; if you're gonna parade a bunch of monster type creatures around, one would hope you're ready for any eventualities heh.
Old 2023-07-13, 19:51   Link #40
Applehell

Quote:
That's kinda shit security then; if you're gonna parade a bunch of monster type creatures around, one would hope you're ready for any eventualities heh.
I mean the point of security is being prepared for most issues, doesn't mean some won't occur or be prevented. Especially if it is a inside job. Remember Katie wasn't initially near the troll when it suddenly started was rampaging around the dogs and the students keeping it in check. Nobody would expect a lone student (or anyone really) to willingly running into something like that. Oliver and co were only able to act as quickly as they did because they first notice the unnaturalness being close.