AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-03-23, 12:05   Link #241
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Episode 07 was not just a pretty moving watch --- the shows understands the problems that people go through in real life. Genius, loved it. Shall be watching episode 08 pretty soon.

Thanks a lot for the great work.
Old 2007-03-23, 14:08   Link #242
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Episode 07 was not just a pretty moving watch --- the shows understands the problems that people go through in real life. Genius, loved it.
Yeah, I didn't even mention 7. I thought it was a really interesting choice to focus on a character who not only had barely made an appearance previously, but was outside of the Jidai corporation.

Spoiler for episode 7:

BTW, there is a very strong tie between episodes 7 and 8. The theme is almost the same, although it is taken from a couple of very different directions.

As to whether people really go through these problems, I know I have. I personally want to feel that there is some reason for doing my job beyond the money. It seems to me, however, that most people in this world are like the characters that recur (from the very first episode) who just want to go home early, or not get "involved" in their work, and so on.
Old 2007-03-23, 14:15   Link #243
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Just finished episode 08, and wow --- thats easily one of my favourite episodes from the series upto now (second episode is my favourite). Just seeing Chiba's face as he was thanked lit up my heart, an absolute wonderful scene if you ask me. I didn't think for a second that wasen't going to be added into the episode. I have so much respect for a man like that.
Old 2007-03-23, 17:44   Link #244
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Two terrific episodes back to back. Not to mention....

Hiro smiles at the book party in episode 8! Not once, not twice, but three times! (Twice at the microphone -- see Joojoobies avatar -- and once talking to Chiba.)

Episode 7 was almost like watching a different series. I don't think there's a joke anywhere in the entire episode. I guess as Joojoobies says there's a happy ending for Shirakawa, though it looks like she might be even busier in her new job. I just hope it's more rewarding for her; she seems like such a nice lady. Still, while the earlier shows enabled us to shrug off Hiro's incredibly tense lifestyle with a few jokes here and there, there's no relief in episode 7. I couldn't help but feel the characters' stress. I need a massage....

Then we get an upbeat episode to follow, happiness all around. Natsume-sensei looks stunning in this episode, especially at the book party. You don't have to be a raving fangirl like Nagisa to see that, either. Like Shiroth, I also gained a lot of respect for Chiba as the episode progressed; so apparently did Hiro.

I want to read "54!"
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 18:10   Link #245
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I want to read "54!"
Not only that, i want to read her other works. If they're selling that way, surly they can be released in the real world. :3

(Also, you'd be surprised how i almost made a Chiba avatar. ^^
Old 2007-03-23, 18:19   Link #246
issei

episode 8 really was a standout episode. in a way, the impact of each episode reminds me of watching mushishi -- i think to myself, "shouldn't i want more overarching story development?" after a moment of introspection, the answer is no, not really; i appreciate these self-contained vignettes for what they are, and there isn't a complete lack of connectivity, it's just sparse.

episode 7, in contrast to the high-impact upward movement of 8's plot, was low-key and introspective, like a cup of chamomile versus 8's triple-shot mocha.
Old 2007-03-23, 18:21   Link #247
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Not only that, i want to read her other works. If they're selling that way, surly they can be released in the real world. :3

(Also, you'd be surprised how i almost made a Chiba avatar. ^^
I didn't typeset them, but the titles of the other 2 books of her's that they showed are

"Knock on my Heart" and "Eventual Love"... such typical romance-type titles .
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 18:50   Link #248
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Not only that, i want to read her other works.
Well, I am the target market for 54! I just wish the other "geezers" we see reading this book weren't so unappealing.

@Quarkboy: I'm over my issues with being part of geezerdom! Geezers rule!
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 19:01   Link #249
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Well, I am the target market for 54! I just wish the other "geezers" we see reading this book weren't so unappealing.
& i'd like to point out that i'm not the target market (i love saying that), though i know i'd enjoy her works.
Old 2007-03-23, 23:03   Link #250
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
& i'd like to point out that i'm not the target market (i love saying that), though i know i'd enjoy her works.
Don't you people remember the moral (well, one of them) of the episode? Limiting oneself to some concept of "target audience" is a recipe for mediocrity! Only by expanding the concept of "audience" will a work truly be a bit hit.

Now, taking a step back.... Isn't that really a bit of hopeful self-commentary about the anime itself? It makes you think...
Sam Pinansky
Old 2007-03-23, 23:19   Link #251
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Don't you people remember the moral (well, one of them) of the episode? Limiting oneself to some concept of "target audience" is a recipe for mediocrity!
BUSTED! Notice how I don't define myself as either a geezer or an anti-geezer? That is because I'm riding the wave, man!
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 00:28   Link #252
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Don't you people remember the moral (well, one of them) of the episode? Limiting oneself to some concept of "target audience" is a recipe for mediocrity! Only by expanding the concept of "audience" will a work truly be a bit hit.

Now, taking a step back.... Isn't that really a bit of hopeful self-commentary about the anime itself? It makes you think...
That seems to be the purpose of the Noitamina time block which Hataraki Man was occupying. And so far it seems to be working pretty well. Surprisingly.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 15:07   Link #253
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

I came into this series just recently, after the first episode.... it's the classic line, sinker and slice of life hook for me

I think this is better than HnC for me since i can understand how it feels in a company than an art college. Not to mention the OP and ED is very catchy, i like it very much. <3

Now if you ll excuse me, i ll be barging in the discussion after i get another 5 episode down my system.
Old 2007-03-24, 15:15   Link #254
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Not to mention the OP and ED is very catchy, i like it very much. <3
I love the OP and that final shot of Hiro at the train is great

Both the OP and ED capture the spirit of the show well.
Old 2007-03-26, 08:52   Link #255
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
But I'm still perplexed as to how it draws such high ratings - how do people even find out about the show? Does it get advertised majorly or does it get spread so much through word of mouth?
Death Note has got not only a pretty large manga fanbase but the publicity through the live action shows and it also has better production values than Hataraki Man, and I'm sure it also gets a fair amoutn of publicity...

Surely it can't possibly be that so many people feel tired after work, flip through the channels late at night, get their attention caught by an anime - watch for a while and then get hooked? That'd be so awesome.
I think it's very simple, it's titled Workaholic Man. I think any normal salaryman/women would take a look at it. After that, all it takes was a simple anime on the everyday life of a/or a few white collar that reflects on your own situation. It's an easy formula to draw your audience, create something that your audience can identify themselves with. You don't need to have a successful manga/movie with a title like that imo

It's kinda funny to me the manga was in a seinen category, personally i felt it's more of an jousei story but then, the creator probably wanted a reverse gender take on the working life.

Up to episode 5 now

Ahhh, this anime really hits the home run with a lot of stuff. The idiot newcomer that grates on your nerve, the afterwork drinking, problems with your gf/bf due to work schedule and the bitterness of reality as your dream job gets taken/rejected/cancelled.

It made me think of Dilbert (comic strip) with it's crack on real life management and engineering.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-26, 14:34   Link #256
Joojoobees

@Wao "how do people even find out about the show?"

I agree with what JazzRat said, but wanted to add that the time slot isn't random. It was basically the show that replaced Honey and Clover 2, IIRC. The show in that slot now is Nodame Cantabile, and I think the slot in general is pitched towards a more mature audience, with deeper stories and characterization.

Ahh. Found confirmation via wikipedia. See article on Noitamina.

Last edited by Joojoobees; 2007-03-26 at 14:36. Reason: added link to wikipedia
Old 2007-03-29, 22:23   Link #257
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Well, just some news for everyone. I just finally got the trans check back on number 9, so considering that episodes 10 and 11 are already in qc, all scripts for Hataraki-man are done!

Why did we do episodes 10 and 11 before 9? Chalk that up to the craziness of filling in with different translators... Anyway, everything has been checked and edited for consistency now.

The bad news is that episode 9 might be another week or so until it's released. The good news is, episodes 10 and 11 will definitely be released at the same time as 9.

I think the ending of the series is worth the wait. Maybe it's just because I've seen these episodes so many times by now...
Sam Pinansky
Old 2007-03-29, 22:36   Link #258
issei

looking forward to it, quarkboy. thanks for the hard work!
Old 2007-03-29, 22:39   Link #259
Joojoobees

Quote:
I think the ending of the series is worth the wait. Maybe it's just because I've seen these episodes so many times by now...
Hey, thanks for your work on this series. And thanks for the other fine work you do, Lord knows where we would be without string!
Old 2007-03-30, 02:42   Link #260
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Many thanks to Arienai group for subbing this rather non-mainstream anime

Tags
noitamina, office, seinen