AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-05-07, 22:04   Link #15161
Binjovi
Artist

Send a message via AIM to Binjovi
Works for me! Thank you.
Binjovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-07, 22:08   Link #15162
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Also.

Does anyone know a ballpark date for when Kyon's birthday is? I know it's some time after July 7th and some time before March. But that doesn't really help me at all.

Based on the expectant way he tries to reveal his birthday in BLR, I suspect it's sometime close to Tanabata, though...
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-07, 22:24   Link #15163
otai

Send a message via MSN to otai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
... damn it, now I'd feel bad if I posted what I've been working out for the last few hours, as this topic is firmly set in VN-land now
Where do you think we are? THIS. IS. SEITENKAN. Some CRACK is fine too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binjovi View Post
Oh yeah, something popped into my head last night before going to sleep and I meant to ask about it sooner, but forgot: I understand the VN is supposed to take place during the month of September. That being the case, would everyone still be in their summer uniforms, or would they have switched already? I know that from June to the middle of July (The other stories are during summer break, so, aside from maybe Yuki, they aren't wearing their uniforms at all.) they're in summer garb. When do schools typically change anyway? Is it right on the month, or do they change on the official first day of summer/winter? I ask this because it means that potentially, I'll have to do two images for each character emotion for each of the uniforms (Not that that's terribly difficult to do, mind you.).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
They're all in summer uniform throughout the entire story.
If you're wondering uniform change is in October.

http://members.chello.at/theodor.lau...iko/maiko2.htm

Quote:
Also.

Does anyone know a ballpark date for when Kyon's birthday is? I know it's some time after July 7th and some time before March. But that doesn't really help me at all.

Based on the expectant way he tries to reveal his birthday in BLR, I suspect it's sometime close to Tanabata, though...
Nope. Still a mystery. Like his damn name.
otai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-07, 22:27   Link #15164
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by otai View Post
Nope. Still a mystery. Like his damn name.
I'm going to say he's 16 by the start of September.

610 years old is a nice round age, don't you think?
Old 2009-05-07, 22:34   Link #15165
Binjovi
Artist

It'd be preferable if it was unknown, since that's dealing with canon, but if you must, 16 is fine.

Also, I know it's been out for practically FOREVER in internet time (was released April 29th) so forgive me if it's been mentioned before, but I just found and started playing the demo of Katawa Shoujo recently and noticed this familiar kid in the classroom.

Thought that was kind of an interesting coincidence.
Old 2009-05-07, 22:38   Link #15166
otai

Quote:
I'm going to say he's 16 by the start of September.

610 years old is a nice round age, don't you think?
16, why not. People would round up their age for school anyway. Not like the Japanese legal age is 16 (or matter to Kyon anyway).

Did you include the Endless Eight days?
Old 2009-05-07, 23:20   Link #15167
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyCat View Post
Found it referenced on page 77, but the photobucket link had expired. But it did give a filename which led to finding it in a compilation rar.

Original:

Redrawn:
Needs a lot more work, but I suppose it'll suffice as a starting point, like everything else we've done so far.

Quote:
It'd be preferable if it was unknown, since that's dealing with canon, but if you must, 16 is fine.

Also, I know it's been out for practically FOREVER in internet time (was released April 29th) so forgive me if it's been mentioned before, but I just found and started playing the demo of Katawa Shoujo recently and noticed this familiar kid in the classroom.

Saw that one last week. Kyon and Lelouch are in the class too.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-07, 23:21   Link #15168
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:

*snip*

That's actually new. Good find.

Quote:
16, why not. People would round up their age for school anyway. Not like the Japanese legal age is 16 (or matter to Kyon anyway).

Did you include the Endless Eight days?
Exactly. Kyon is 610 years old.

Anyway, I finished the second part of Day 0, and also the Interlude at the very end, mostly out of boredom.

Spoiler for September the First, Day 0, Universe 1: Morning- The End of Eight:

I don't think it sounds enough like Kyon though, but I'm relatively satisfied.

Spoiler for September the First, Day Zero, Universe 1: Interlude- Dark People in a Dark Room:

I did this now rather than later because it was relatively simple and ominous.

It's probably a bit too obvious as to who those two are supposed to be though. Need to change that somehow, but, then again, it's just as effective if you DO know who they are, I'd think.

Edit: NOW someone posts. I deleted my post for nothing...
Old 2009-05-07, 23:23   Link #15169
Binjovi
Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
Saw that one last week. Kyon and Lelouch are in the class too.
I noticed Kyon (though his hair was a little light so I was unsure if it was really a reference), but I missed Lelouch. Just another excuse to play it again.

Edit: Found Lelouch. Looks like Ritsu's in there too.

Last edited by Binjovi; 2009-05-07 at 23:49.
Old 2009-05-08, 01:30   Link #15170
otai

Quote:
Depends on how you would define age and whether you would argue that Endless Eight is either a time loop, or a collection of alternate timelimes.

In a time loop, the "state" of Kyon is reset to the beginning; so if you measure Kyon's age as the duration it has produced entropy thus far; he is 16 years old.
You could argue that is not true because some information is somehow retained by the last few loops; so his actual age is the one that can be objectively verified by an observer, i.e. Yuki.

As a collection of alternate timelines; the theory is that the world was destroyed at the end of the fortnight, unless the right step was taken; as a version of the Quantum Suicide thought experiment.
Kyon being the ultimate quantum observer/narrator, only naturally experiences the one where the world doesn't end... but Yuki; maybe as an experiment or something; somehow downloads the data from another 15,498 universes (or running the experiment by uploading her data to an alternate universe, who then adds her data to that and uploads it again).

So Kyon is only 16. Still, since Yuki, being a DATA entity would measure her age in terms of DATA retained, or that she could actually slide in this way, would be 597.

But no matter what, since Yuki herself observed 607 years of Kyon; to her Kyon would be 610.

And, well I like the interlude a lot. *e OK, even though Day Zero is mostly necessary recap, it's Kyon enough.

Last edited by otai; 2009-05-08 at 03:00.
Old 2009-05-08, 01:49   Link #15171
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
Hey, I never said you couldn't go for it anyway.
Quote:
Where do you think we are? THIS. IS. SEITENKAN. Some CRACK is fine too.
Except it's mainly discussion stuff, and this is the most focus the damn VN has gotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyCat View Post
Redrawn:
How did Yamane end up cute?

Quote:
Damn he's old

Quote:
Anyway, I finished the second part of Day 0, and also the Interlude at the very end, mostly out of boredom.

*snip*
Technically speaking, we should be starting on September 2nd, as the first is covered in Endless Eight...
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-08, 01:55   Link #15172
Binjovi
Artist

I'm not so certain those calculations are correct. It was eight days, right? Eight days that looped 15,498 times? That means that first, you must multiply 8 x 15,498 to get the total number of days passed. The answer is 123,984 days. How many years is that? Dividing 123,984 by 365.242199 (this accounts for leap year), lands us at 339.45694210432677851663027579123 years. Tack on Kyon's 16 years of age and we get 355.45694210432677851663027579123. So, basically, he would be 355 and a half years old after Endless Eight. Did I do that right?
Old 2009-05-08, 02:01   Link #15173
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

It was two weeks. The title refers to the fact that August is the eighth month and would repeat itself before it ended.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-05-08, 02:03   Link #15174
Binjovi
Artist

My bad. I knew I had something screwed up. I'm glad it wasn't my math though.
Old 2009-05-08, 02:07   Link #15175
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Technically speaking, we should be starting on September 2nd, as the first is covered in Endless Eight...
Only half of it is. School ends at noon on that day and the only real content in the story is the poker game with Koizumi, which I am including.

This is also why it's Day 0 rather than Day 1.
Old 2009-05-08, 02:08   Link #15176
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Ah, okay

*e* Except, Kyon's wake-up and the first part of school were also covered... and apparently ignored here
Old 2009-05-08, 02:11   Link #15177
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Except, Kyon's wake-up and the first part of school were also covered... and apparently ignored here
The wake up is mostly glossed over.

I tried to keep it consistent. I haven't gotten to the first part of school yet either.

So what do you think of the interlude?
Old 2009-05-08, 02:15   Link #15178
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

"The Television Room must remain mysterious, Number Two!"

This part reminded me of Bob and George...
Old 2009-05-08, 02:17   Link #15179
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
"The Television Room must remain mysterious, Number Two!"

This part reminded me of Bob and George...
That probably had some influence, yes.
Old 2009-05-08, 02:43   Link #15180
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Hm... what are we going to do about BGMs? OST tracks, random public domain stuff or original compositions?

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan