AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-07, 02:33   Link #2321
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
About the rules, both Gon an Killua need to collect the 100 cards each to clear the game right? So if the limit of transformations into cards has been reached they have no choice but to steal the cards right? Or just one of them clears the game. THough there are other ways to leave the guy like we were shown with that spell card right?
They don't need to clear the game at all. They came to find clues about Ging, which according to his message is off the table already.

Now they want to enjoy the game, but they don't need to clear it. Certainly not to get out, since players go out all the time. Though they do need a certain item to do it.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 12:54   Link #2322
SHINOBI-03

From the OVA
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 16:32   Link #2323
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I totally buy into Killua's redemption and the role Gon's trust has played in it, but I don't think a person's past can be totally ignored. Killua has done much more than Gon that necessities redemption - not least of which is killing those hunter candidates on the blimp and killing Bodoro, by all accounts a decent man who wanted no part of fighting children (little did he know), both of which occurred after he and Gon befriended each other.

Kil has come a long, long way since then and he and Gon both are fantastic characters, but I think Gon doesn't get nearly enough credit for either his strength, his loyalty or his integrity.
Sure, but I still think it's interesting to note how, looking exclusively at their relationship together, Killua has been a more intensely devoted friend, in that he's always looking out for Gon, while the latter, in spite of his also undeniably fierce loyalty, does sometimes let his excitement and impulsiveness get the better of him and consequently causes some trouble or precarious situations for Killua (or the both of them). They even half-jokingly pointed out that recurring pattern in York Shin during their escape from the Spiders:

Gon: "It's my job to say crazy stuff. Your job is to stay cool and stop me. I'm counting on you!"
Killua: "You're so selfish."

Like I said that exchange had an obviously playful tone, but there's definitely some manner of truth to it if you ask me. But don't get me wrong, the point here isn't to question Gon's loyalty, which as I've said is also quite fierce, but rather highlight the pathos of Killua's character: feeling ashamed and inadequate about his past is natural, but he's got nothing to be ashamed about when it comes to his friendship with Gon, since he's basically been the best friend a person can ask for. But then again maybe the fact that he can't just separate the two like that just goes to further show how genuine and heartfelt his desire for redemption is.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 17:38   Link #2324
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

The funny thing about that scene is that he actually DID stop Killua from getting himself killed.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 17:44   Link #2325
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious108 View Post
Sure, but I still think it's interesting to note how, looking exclusively at their relationship together, Killua has been a more intensely devoted friend, in that he's always looking out for Gon, while the latter, in spite of his also undeniably fierce loyalty, does sometimes let his excitement and impulsiveness get the better of him and consequently causes some trouble or precarious situations for Killua (or the both of them). They even half-jokingly pointed out that recurring pattern in York Shin during their escape from the Spiders:

Gon: "It's my job to say crazy stuff. Your job is to stay cool and stop me. I'm counting on you!"
Killua: "You're so selfish."

Like I said that exchange had an obviously playful tone, but there's definitely some manner of truth to it if you ask me. But don't get me wrong, the point here isn't to question Gon's loyalty, which as I've said is also quite fierce, but rather highlight the pathos of Killua's character: feeling ashamed and inadequate about his past is natural, but he's got nothing to be ashamed about when it comes to his friendship with Gon, since he's basically been the best friend a person can ask for. But then again maybe the fact that he can't just separate the two like that just goes to further show how genuine and heartfelt his desire for redemption is.
It's not just his past. Killua knows that if it comes down to it, Gon will die for him. Impulsively, stupidly, but he will. Killua's worried that he can't do that for Gon. That, as his family taught him, he's too calculating for that kind of sacrifice. Or even for a great risk.

That's why he was about to fight Nobunaga. That question was so important to him, he neglected to actually look for a solution where they both escaped.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 18:49   Link #2326
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's not just his past. Killua knows that if it comes down to it, Gon will die for him. Impulsively, stupidly, but he will. Killua's worried that he can't do that for Gon. That, as his family taught him, he's too calculating for that kind of sacrifice. Or even for a great risk.

That's why he was about to fight Nobunaga. That question was so important to him, he neglected to actually look for a solution where they both escaped.
Yes, there's that too, but like you said in the end he was willing to make up for that calculating nature of his (which is a result of psychological conditioning from Illumi and not his actual inherent nature) with a reckless sacrifice to save the friend whose friendship he feels he doesn't deserve, so if anything that just makes him more sympathetic. But yes, all of his feelings of inadequacy are quite understandable and stem from real issues, I'm not denying that.
Old 2013-01-08, 11:17   Link #2327
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

It gets a bit of a weird twist when you think about the fact that Silva is allowing this stuff to happen to Killua because he thinks it may benefit the family.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 22:17   Link #2328
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Good news, though perhaps not what some were hoping for:

Quote:
A special teaser after the ending credits of the Hunter × Hunter: Phantom Rouge film announced on Saturday that production on a second film has been green-lit. No further details about the second film were made public.

The first film opened on Saturday. It centers around the character Kurapika, who became a hunter to seek revenge on the Phantom Troupe for the massacre of his clan. The film featured the new character Omokage, the person with the No. 4 spider tattoo. The film is based on an unpublished story manga creator Yoshihiro Togashi wrote around 10 years ago.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 22:46   Link #2329
Vicious108

Yeah, shouldn't have gotten my hopes up that it would be the manga coming back. All signs were pointing to it too with the Kurapika side story chapters and the release of new tankoubons, but I guess it wouldn't be a Togashi hiatus if it didn't last at least a year (which it will in two months).
Old 2013-01-12, 00:53   Link #2330
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
As pure friendships go, this is one of the best in anime or manga anywhere, period. It’s innocent and yet at the same time, very complex and dark (the latter especially in Killua’s case). There are lots of other elements to this ep, but most of all it’s an expression of the deep affection those two have for each other. It’s reflected in Gon’s concern about Killua and the spell that was cast on him, and how he tries to smile his way through his fear so as not to worry his friend. It’s reflected in Killua’s good-natured patience with Gon’s fiery impulsiveness, in spite of what he might wish himself.

For the entire episode the boys express their friendship for each other in unspoken ways (which is after all what boys generally do) which are nevertheless totally obvious to the audience. And then in the end, Gon comes right out and does what boys generally don’t – tells his friend how he feels about him. Killua isn’t capable of that, but we get a rare direct glimpse inside his thoughts – and what we see is the pure gratitude he feels towards Gon for being the one to finally redeem him by believing in his essential goodness. I think Killua wants desperately to keep Gon from having to walk the dark paths he’s walked, and I think Killua would be willing to do anything at this point for his friend – the friend Killua believes is better than he is but, ironically, is the only one who saw past his darkness to the real person inside. Really, if you can’t get emotionally connected to this sort of relationship maybe shounen just isn’t the right fit for you, because I really don’t think anime friendships get any better.
It's deep and enduring. It is a heartwarming touch to a fun and involving world that would be worth tuning into even if there were no such friendship. It also feels as real and genuine as is possible in a fictional story of this level of seriousness. It's nostalgic to watch as an adult and reflect upon the depth of friendship and bonds that can be formed when you are young and still have an innocent outlook on the world (and this effect is multiplied by the childlike, wondrous world they inhabit). I also feel like they both need each other in a way; Gon always being alone for a kid his age (and with a missing father) on Whale Island and Killua for obvious reasons and the ideas you touch upon as well.

Anyway, this arc should be fun - my memories of it are VERY hazy though I'm kind of sad that I randomly remembered who the bomber ends up being. Damn my selective recollection!
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 01:51   Link #2331
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

i have a question a bout the movie, it is actually canon?giving what the pv's showed i couldn't fit it anywhere where uvo is alive and kurapica has reunited with the others.
Old 2013-01-12, 03:02   Link #2332
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

All HxH screenings sold out at Shibuya Toho... But someone has a ticket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
i have a question a bout the movie, it is actually canon?giving what the pv's showed i couldn't fit it anywhere where uvo is alive and kurapica has reunited with the others.
It's based on a story Togashi supposedly wrote 10 years ago and never used in the manga - SJ published it as a one-shot in December.
Old 2013-01-12, 04:03   Link #2333
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

HxH is on roll right now, 2nd movie announced.. latest manga tank beat latest Naruto's, now if just Togashi working his ass off..
Old 2013-01-12, 11:42   Link #2334
Clarste
Human

Quote:
It's based on a story Togashi supposedly wrote 10 years ago and never used in the manga - SJ published it as a one-shot in December.
The one-shot (well, two-shot since it had two parts) they published was just an elaboration of Kurapica's backstory. Maybe it sets the stage for the movie, but it doesn't resolve the basic contradiction that there's really no place in the timeline for the movie to take place in, mostly because Gon and Killua have already entered Greed Island.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 13:04   Link #2335
leokiko

Quote:
All HxH screenings sold out at Shibuya Toho... But someone has a ticket!
You'd better spoil everything to us!
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 20:51   Link #2336
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
The one-shot (well, two-shot since it had two parts) they published was just an elaboration of Kurapica's backstory. Maybe it sets the stage for the movie, but it doesn't resolve the basic contradiction that there's really no place in the timeline for the movie to take place in, mostly because Gon and Killua have already entered Greed Island.
Trust me, having seen the movie - it does a hell of a lot more than elaborate Kurapika's backstory. The one-shot is the entire basis for Phantom Rouge.

That said, there are contradictions in the timeline that don't really make sense because this exists outside the manga canon, but to elaborate further would entail movie spoilers.
Old 2013-01-12, 23:27   Link #2337
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Trust me, having seen the movie - it does a hell of a lot more than elaborate Kurapika's backstory. The one-shot is the entire basis for Phantom Rouge.

That said, there are contradictions in the timeline that don't really make sense because this exists outside the manga canon, but to elaborate further would entail movie spoilers.
That's what I meant by "setting the stage" for the movie.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 00:13   Link #2338
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Movie thread is now created. You've no more excuses!

For the rest of us, please direct all movie related conversation to the appropriate thread linked above.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 01:04   Link #2339
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

i forgot that some things about this arc were given this early, anyway, this is the arc i probably enjoy the less in the whole series so far, but no deny in that madhouse is doing a good job with it, also my only issue with the series wich was the music direction seems that has been solved so kudos to that.
Old 2013-01-13, 03:30   Link #2340
Vicious108

Wow, that was about 5 chapters in one episode.

Still, while the brisk pacing bothered me in York Shin, where the manga's pacing was already perfect, I actually rather welcome it in Greed Island, especially during its first half, which was pretty damn slow in the manga. Too much dwelling on long-winded tutorials that end up serving little purpose, aka Togashi being a little too self-indulgent with his inner nerd.

Tags
action, shounen