AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-01-05, 19:01   Link #21
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I've watched the first three episodes as well. They've made plenty of changes, but the series stays true to the original manga's spirit and the main plot seems to have remained the same.
Spoiler for doubt:
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-05, 19:48   Link #22
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
After watching the first 4 episodes, you know what series I am reminded of? Kaiba. The way events happen, how one moment there's this innocent charm, then the next, cold ruthlessness; the subtle, and not-so-subtle sexual content.... yeah. Just checked the director for that series and whaddaya know =03. It certainly doesn't feel like your typical anime series; as if it has a lot of western influences in the style. I've been enjoying it so far, even without knowing the source material, although I can't really see what the 'endgame' for this is. I could say the same about Kaiba as well, at the same junction. When you can't see where the destination of the story will end up, the end will usually have a 'rushed' feeling, but I'll enjoy what comes on an episode-by-episode basis =03.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-05, 21:12   Link #23
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

If you wanna laugh a bit search in Youtube "Devilman Hello"
Old 2018-01-05, 21:25   Link #24
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Five episodes in and I think this adaptation is gold. They change things up here and there to update it with the Millenium era and for practicality's sake. They can also retain the core story and the heart of the original Go Nagai's work, unlike that Hollywood GITS movie that can only replicate the visuals but missed the point of GITS almost entirely. And the kind of sexual content in Crybaby was originally already there in the manga ready to be adapted properly.

They even managed to retain the story of some of the more important demon enemies. Gelmer and his part, how Jinmen's screwed Akira's life (trying not to spoil here), Siren/Silene and her obsession with Amon, and Kaim who loves Silene even though both demons never even realized what it is. I also like that they are being creative with some of the fodder demons but still retain the design of the rather important ones and even their attacks. Here's the manga design for comparison:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2018-01-05, 21:43   Link #25
Ryuga

I just watched the whole thing, at first, I wasn't down with the changes in this adaptation, but from episode 4 and onwards, this show got its claws into me and wouldn't let go. It's as good an adaptation as you're gonna get in this era, and it pulls no punches. I also love how the early episodes were punctuated with some really weird but hilarious (at least to me) offbeat moments, like the two girls at the start of episode 2.

I wasn't down with the visuals and direction at first, but after watching the whole show, it's really, really good. Man, I still need to process everything that just happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
Spoiler for doubt:
They do.
Ryuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-05, 21:52   Link #26
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Also, what's with the Devilman 70s show being an actual show in Crybaby . Wouldn't Akira, his friends and his foster family feel weird that another version of their lives are shown as a cartoon (assuming the show uses the same names for the characters, just like the actual show).
Old 2018-01-05, 22:19   Link #27
Ryuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Also, what's with the Devilman 70s show being an actual show in Crybaby . Wouldn't Akira, his friends and his foster family feel weird that another version of their lives are shown as a cartoon (assuming the show uses the same names for the characters, just like the actual show).
Yeah, it was plain weird. It was almost as if Akira was inspired by the show and named himself after Devilman. Maybe that's what they were going for....but he's naming himself after himself lol.
Old 2018-01-05, 23:30   Link #28
DemonneoPT

What an amazing experience. I missed so much these old school anime and unforgivable seinen brutality regarding the demons thematic. A big thank you to Netflix for making this possible. At first i was not sure about the art style but it eventually grew on me, especially with the epic animation in the second part of the show. It's indeed a sad story that knows how to summon the feels train and still be able to deliver in the action department as well as making me in awe with those final twists regarding Ryo and the apocalypse. Really powerful show and a nice change from the usual anime stuff that is trending today. First Castlevania and now this. I can only hope the next Netflix original anime - B: The Beginning - can continue these wave of fresh air within the industry.

Spoiler for for some plot details:

EDIT: Loved the OST. Especially the main theme often used in the ending. Really need that asap xD

Last edited by DemonneoPT; 2018-01-05 at 23:45.
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-06, 01:31   Link #29
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler for EP9:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuga View Post
Yeah, it was plain weird. It was almost as if Akira was inspired by the show and named himself after Devilman. Maybe that's what they were going for....but he's naming himself after himself lol.

This was intentional, just like using original theme from the past. In one of the episodes photoshooter's boss(?) even comments that his video is like a cut from the Devilman.
Old 2018-01-06, 03:36   Link #30
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I just finished the whole thing, and yeah, this is a gold adaptation alright. Source fan like me know that the second half will be when all things are going down yet it's still fascinating to watch. Some will say that the second half is a bit of a rush, but I think that's what we really need.

Spoiler for Ending:
Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
This was intentional, just like using original theme from the past. In one of the episodes photoshooter's boss(?) even comments that his video is like a cut from the Devilman.
We all know it was intentional. We're commenting on how weird a choice it is for using actual Devilman show within this show .
Old 2018-01-06, 04:36   Link #31
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
We all know it was intentional. We're commenting on how weird a choice it is for using actual Devilman show within this show .
Dunno, seems fitting, considering the ending.
Spoiler for ending:
. I'm pretty sure I've seen this done more than once in other shows too. Anyhow - it was a pleasure to watch (a guilty one )
Old 2018-01-06, 04:59   Link #32
Thess

I'm giving this a 6/10, an additional point for attempting a full adaptation as poorly it was done.

I explained here in my tumblr why Crybaby fails as Devilman adaptation. To me, adaptation isn't just taking the plot and characters and more or less follow a superficial story, it's capturing the theme. The changes they made pretty much stomped the main theme and heart of what Devilman was to me.

Keep in mind this is my opinion. I was pretty disappointed with the show overall.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-06, 06:18   Link #33
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Dunno, seems fitting, considering the ending.
Spoiler for ending:
. I'm pretty sure I've seen this done more than once in other shows too. Anyhow - it was a pleasure to watch (a guilty one )
Most recently, Logan did it too, and it's also pretty weird. I mean, I don't remember X-Men being such public figures or well-known group in the movies, yet they made comics about them?

And God's last act still doesn't justify 70s Devilman within Crybaby.
Old 2018-01-06, 08:39   Link #34
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Is it me or episode 6 had
Spoiler for dam dam, spoiler:
Old 2018-01-06, 08:39   Link #35
Ryuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
I'm giving this a 6/10, an additional point for attempting a full adaptation as poorly it was done.

I explained here in my tumblr why Crybaby fails as Devilman adaptation. To me, adaptation isn't just taking the plot and characters and more or less follow a superficial story, it's capturing the theme. The changes they made pretty much stomped the main theme and heart of what Devilman was to me.

Keep in mind this is my opinion. I was pretty disappointed with the show overall.

It was my foggy memory of the original manga (it's been years since I've read it) and my hype over a full adaptation of the original, but yeah, I definitely understand your criticisms concerning the show. Crybaby is definitely a gutpuncher, but the original had more class concerning its themes (and didn't use rappers to spell it out for you haha). Still a fun show.
Old 2018-01-06, 10:08   Link #36
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Eh, regarding the changes and differences in Crybaby, I think they're fine. Just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad. And even if the differences are done better in the manga, Crybaby still managed to capture the human psychology aspect which is more important to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
Is it me or episode 6 had
Spoiler for dam dam, spoiler:
I think so. Maybe the moment Ryo announced that demons are among us, people are barging into Trump's office (as you can see in the episode) coz they're absolutely convinced that he's a demon? Well, I can only hope .
Old 2018-01-06, 11:57   Link #37
Ryuga

Yeah, while I think the manga is probably better, I think some of the changes were pretty interesting.

Spoiler for Devilman Crybaby series:
Old 2018-01-06, 12:29   Link #38
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Looks like Go Nagai himself explained the themes of Devilman. See https://web.archive.org/web/20060620...velations.html

Spoiler for comments about the anime:
Old 2018-01-06, 15:19   Link #39
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

This series

It didn't pull any punches. I wasn't fully into the artstyle going into it, but it won me over as continued watching. The animation was super fluid.

Spoiler:

Happy to see I'm not the only one that liked the rappers.

A lot of that was off the top of my head. I liked the adaptation. Didn't love it, but I liked it.
Old 2018-01-06, 16:34   Link #40
Ryuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post

Spoiler for comments about the anime:

Spoiler for Devilman Crybaby:

Tags
horror thriller