AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

Old 2012-01-18, 00:03   Link #361
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

I really like Mei's voice for some reason.

Does anyone know what day of the week this anime's updated?
Kirroha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 00:20   Link #362
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirroha View Post
I really like Mei's voice for some reason.

Does anyone know what day of the week this anime's updated?
Crunchyroll updates on Mondays, 1:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. I don't know when it originally airs in Japan, though.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 05:45   Link #363
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

While on some level the show does feel like it's trying very hard to be creepy, I feel that's a deliberate decision, rather than an accidental bleed-through effect. We are meant to be very aware of the Something Is WrongTM to get us speculating, but not enough details to help us arrive at a conclusion. Either way, it sure works on me.

Application of the musical score can't get enough praise here me thinks - it does a stunning job of creating a creepy atmosphere. Always subtly applied at the right moments to enhance a scene, never overstated to the point where it would dominate it ... just the way a soundtrack should be. It has a very "classic" feel to it, but damn if it isn't effective. I don't recall the last time I felt genuine uneasiness while watching a supposed mystery show, so that's no small feat.

I'm certainly looking towards further elaborations about "Misaki Mei" (both past and current), the curse of Class 3, Kouichi's mother's death, and how a whole class/school are connected to the events that took place when they were barely born. With a satisfying unfolding of the plot and keeping up the hauntingly beautiful atmosphere, I have a feeling this will be a show to remember, at least for me.
Old 2012-01-18, 07:23   Link #364
warita
Dai-Youkai

If I had to pick two scenes, where I actually felt a shiver run down my spine, it would be:

1) The scene in the elevator. The scene was so loaded with suspense and the air was so thick with dripping danger that you could almost slice it. When Kouichi got into the elevator and Misaki suddenly appeared behind him, I xpected something to happen. Her walking off in the dark corridor towards the morgue had something especially creepy about it too.

2) The second moment I felt a chill was when Kouichi was introduced in the classroom by that weird teacher and deadly silence folowed.... a complete ignore. If that isnt creepy, then I dont know what.

Otherwise, this series is trying too hard to be creepy and by overdoing it, it achieves the opposite. The creepy moments linger too long to be taken seriously, Kouichi gets cut off by too many people (which gets annoying), scenes with Misaki are too overloaded with shots of he impassive face.

What i think this show lacks the most though is the inner perspective of Kouchi. Normally, nothing gets a feeling of angst going better than the freeaked out thoughts of the main character. The problem here though is, that not only we dont get to hear what Kouichi thinks and feel, he is not even freaked out by the creepy atmosphere, is he? Rather than scared he is intrigued..... and even though that is kind of original, it spoils a lot of potential for getting scared.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 08:36   Link #365
miketyson

This is coming across as a mystery show that wants to be a horror show. I want to like it, but I have trouble getting into it. It's not really the "trying too hard at being scary" that I have issues with, though; the problem for me is all these "gaps" in the chronology / continuity.

It's stuff like Koichi going to the roof in Ep 1: he walks out of one ominous conversation to go the roof, where he has a second ominous conversation that also ends abruptly. Next scene we see is after school. Was PE the last class of the day? If not, it's hard to buy that he'd have no further interactions with his classmates the rest of the day.

There's a lot of that going on, and for a "mystery" it's hurting my ability to take it seriously *as a mystery*. I'm sure the original novel has this covered -- it'd be easily fixed with some of Koichi's internal monologue -- but it's making it hard for me to take the mystery seriously. Which is a pity, too, b/c it seems like Another has an interesting scenario at work.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 08:49   Link #366
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I don't think I've seen an anime capture that nicely slow-burning Mystery/Horror feel as well as Another does. It has truly captured that to perfection.
Try SE:Laine, Boogiepop Phantom, Texhnolyze
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 09:15   Link #367
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

I'd second SE:Laine.

@warita: Yeah, the elevator scene sent chills down my spine, too. What Mei told him about her "other half" being there and the appropriately haunting sound effects/music all clicked together in my mind as it showed Morque on the sign. I was definitely creeped out.
Old 2012-01-18, 09:18   Link #368
ookamigirl

Well, new episode didn't have much going on.
The ending part was pretty interesting though.
I was kinda pissed that they cut us off just when Mei was about to show the eye.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 11:07   Link #369
ninetail1989
Dreamer

hmm can someone tell me if this anime is OK for me?
the anime just came out recently...i notice the graphic/art..looks nice...i love this kind of art...but its horror...i am chicken...i a guy which dont dare to watch final destination or any other horror movie...unless been force 2 by my friend..

but this is anime...how scary can it get....the darkest anime i ever watch..(might not even be dark) might be jigoku shoujo....thats the darkest anime i ever watch...nothing scary about it...

but how abour Another...will it make me cant sleep at night?i no idea..i never follow the novel or manga if any...

should i watch this
ninetail1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 11:11   Link #370
Malkuth
Banned

^ You got scared by Jigoku Shoujo I must say, you definitely have to look for Another anime
Old 2012-01-18, 11:13   Link #371
ninetail1989
Dreamer

ok...i watch the 1st episode well.......i cant even watch finish it...i hate it when out of the blue they just show some random picture of some creepy dolls or something....i called it quits when the one eyed girls showed up at the lift suddenly....DELETED...T.T
T.T chicken away!!
Old 2012-01-18, 11:17   Link #372
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Watched this last night, in bed, before falling asleep.

That nurse is going to get it, mark my words. (that is, if this were a standard horror show)

Wouldn't Mei have known she was being followed after such a long distance?

Again with the boy-girl-columns seating. Am I reading too much into that?

No way am I riding that elevator.

No way am I setting foot in that doll store.

Agree with the music, it really helps set the tone and feel this show is trying to capture.

Endless "No way" Soul
Old 2012-01-18, 11:21   Link #373
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetail1989 View Post
ok...i watch the 1st episode well.......i cant even watch finish it...i hate it when out of the blue they just show some random picture of some creepy dolls or something....i called it quits when the one eyed girls showed up at the lift suddenly....DELETED...T.T
T.T chicken away!!
You watched a 20 minute episode in 6 minutes
Old 2012-01-18, 11:39   Link #374
ninetail1989
Dreamer

lol i was watching halfway..after the opening i pause a while..then i come write here..cause seeing the opening scared me..T.T
Old 2012-01-18, 16:02   Link #375
Smithsky

Meh, I wish I actually got creepied out by these dolls in the shop, I literally feel nothing about them, so far dolls have no effect on me (normally I'd be creepied like fuck, dolls & clowns are just a nono for me) Also these 1 second doll shots in between scenes just make me roll my eyes and facepalm. Wish they would just give up on those. Also this show reminds me of Ghost Hound, damn, time passes so fast, think I'm gonna make myself some double-creepy night by rewatching GH

Last edited by Smithsky; 2012-01-18 at 22:17.
Smithsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 16:29   Link #376
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Wouldn't Mei have known she was being followed after such a long distance?
I'm pretty sure she did know. I don't have any other explanation why she suddenly gave him the slip when he was only a few steps behind her. Also, I got the impression that that is why she hid herself in that doll shop.

I too found the atmosphere in that doll shop incredibly eerie. Those dolls gave me the creeps, as if they could come alive at any moment.
Old 2012-01-18, 21:48   Link #377
FateAnomaly

This show feels more like mystery than to horror to me. I reckon that they will eventually reveal that there is a mundane (if perhaps extraordinary) reason for everything. Things are moving so slowly that i feel bored at times. The only eerie parts are the music.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 22:06   Link #378
PzIVf3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Crunchyroll updates on Mondays, 1:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. I don't know when it originally airs in Japan, though.
It air in Japan on Monday at 1:35 a:m its a perfect to watch in a dark cold night.
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 22:25   Link #379
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Anyone know if the creator's really had Silent Hill as a reference? The use of the hospital and the mannequins were straight out of Silent Hill 2. All we need is radio and screen static to complete the set.

The similarities to the aforementioned series probably goes deeper than their disturbing use of background music/noise and the unknown. The town of Silent Hill and it's denizens had always been a very dynamic place, representative of each protagonist's mental and psychological state. Perhaps the setting of Another is itself representative of its own characters?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-19, 01:12   Link #380
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Anyone know if the creator's really had Silent Hill as a reference? The use of the hospital and the mannequins were straight out of Silent Hill 2. All we need is radio and screen static to complete the set.

The similarities to the aforementioned series probably goes deeper than their disturbing use of background music/noise and the unknown. The town of Silent Hill and it's denizens had always been a very dynamic place, representative of each protagonist's mental and psychological state. Perhaps the setting of Another is itself representative of its own characters?
You're not alone. The similarities have certainly crossed my mind. But there isn't enough information to decide one way or another (oops, pun not intended) at this time. The class, for some reason, seems cursed to injuries or poor health. Worth wondering why the students couldn't have simply refused to enrol in that group, if it does indeed have such a reputation. It may well be that they, or possibly their parents, were related to the incidents 26 years ago, and are trapped in a circle of retribution. Or it may well be the kind of grudge that hits indiscriminately, as long as you belong to the class, tag, you're It.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror, seinen