AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-19, 05:54   Link #601
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Pretty good childhood past , there were really cute. I liked the "Dawn of the dead" ref
Well , that was good but childhood development are useless , we all know the same cliché.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 06:48   Link #602
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

goddamn, ep7 pretty much solidifies how Ranko is the best ever.

Fuck, even her mom doesn't seem to mind if she and Chihiro got married.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 06:51   Link #603
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by word sux View Post
pretty much every american would consider this incest and so would most of western culture.

just look at the monarchy's of europe and all their "problems".. most of them wed first cousins to keep the "blood clean" and look at some of the mutants they turned out...
America is not the world. I think when things like Cousin Romances enter anime, they serve as a reminder that Anime are shows produced by a Culture with slightly different value systems, norms and Taboos. In other words, you are watching a foreign show.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 10:42   Link #604
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
just look at the monarchy's of europe and all their "problems".. most of them wed first cousins to keep the "blood clean" and look at some of the mutants they turned out...
After doing it for a thousand years. Incest increases the risk of recessive genes, but if it's a one-off case with cousins, that increase is very small -- you need to keep it up for generations before you get Prince Charles.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 12:12   Link #605
xiiaobibii

i heard that sankarea was a nice story
but the anime drawings didnt look nice, lol
Old 2012-05-19, 15:48   Link #606
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
pretty much every american would consider this incest and so would most of western culture.

Um... no. Try some research before talking so provincially, eh? Over half the states in the US allow first cousin marriage. Most of the western world allows it. The increase in risk is almost noise level genetically.

The ONLY reason some people think its taboo is because when the Industrial Revolution started, the city folks would mock the country folks with "kissing cousins" remarks and even then it wasn't a claimed genetic excuse (that came later), it was just that marrying your cousin made you *rural*. Rural being a place with low population and it was hard to FIND anyone you weren't related to in some way.
Old 2012-05-19, 16:06   Link #607
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

After watching episode 7, I can now safely say that I hate Ranko with every fiber of my being. If she has any redeeming qualities, I can't see them. She's not pretty, her personality sucks and pretty much everything she does makes matters worse.

Yeah, Chihiro's relationship with Rea isn't particularly healthy right now, but it's far better than anything he could have achieved with Ranko. Since they met, he never showed any interest in her (I tend to think he chased the dog away to protect his DVD, not Ranko) and I can't fathom why she hasn't given up on him by now.

I still thought the episode was enjoyable, but I'm glad that the next one will focus on Chihiro and Rea again. And we'll be getting to one of my favorite scenes from the manga, to boot.
Old 2012-05-19, 16:11   Link #608
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

If Wanko's affection for her cousin is such an issue, I am glad most people in this board never heard of Marmalade Boy because the ending was jaw droping.

It was nice having some insight in Wanko's past, but we undead lovers need our Rea fix and this chapter had not even a cameo
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 16:34   Link #609
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
If Wanko's affection for her cousin is such an issue, I am glad most people in this board never heard of Marmalade Boy because the ending was jaw droping.
What about it? It's far from being the most incestuous manga out there. It's not even close.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 16:38   Link #610
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
What about it? It's far from being the most incestuous manga out there. It's not even close.
I am talking about the anime ending, here is the title of episode 75
Spoiler for Marmalade boy ending:
Old 2012-05-19, 18:11   Link #611
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

You know, besides feeling absolutely awful for her when Chihiro left her in that drainage pipe -- I still can't get over what a dick move that came off as -- I actually really don't like Ranko one bit.

And yet...

Does anyone else get the unsettling impression that she's exactly what Chihiro needs at this point in his life? Something to help him acclimate to the real world and get him out of his darkened room? I know he's still young and has plenty of time to get his shit together (and that the whole point of the series is that it's a zombie romcom, so that would be kind of a stupid ending), but I can't help but feel like she'd be good for him in the long run, regardless of how I feel about her as a character.

As for the cousin thing, my cultural prejudices are squicked by the idea on the whole, but I can compartmentalize that sort of thing in anime to where it doesn't bother me in context.

Quote:
Er didn't that twist turn out to be
Spoiler for Marmalade Boy ending:

I watched MB back when I had a lot of free time... and was trying to ingratiate myself to a fangirl of the show. I can still hear Miki whining DOUSHIO?!?! in my nightmares

Last edited by ThereminVox; 2012-05-19 at 18:22.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 18:13   Link #612
Arya

I have no problems with the cousin's issue. But if anything, I'd say that in cases like this, osananajimi underdog vs. MC ~magical girl, the cousin tag usually stands for a no way it will happen. So I guess you people could sleep soundly
How a zombie girl makes you sleep soundly in another matter anyways

Jokes aside, this episode enforce my opinion that the guy is really dense. How could you walk hand to hand so casually? And be so passive on Ranko's advances. Don't tell me that you like your cousin?
But it's true that quite the whole male cast looks a bit, well, absent-minded? So probably is just the way males looks in this series. Poor Ranko, you are really out of place...

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 18:25   Link #613
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
I have no problems with the cousin's issue. But if anything, I'd say that in cases like this, osananajimi underdog vs. MC ~magical girl, the cousin tag usually stands for a no way it will happen. So I guess you people could sleep soundly
How a zombie girl makes you sleep soundly in another matter anyways

Jokes aside, this episode enforce my opinion that the guy is really dense. How could you walk hand to hand so casually?
Habit. They started when they were very young and just never stopped.

Quote:
And be so passive on Ranko's advances. Don't tell me that you like your cousin?
But it's true that quite the whole male cast looks a bit, well, absent-minded? So probably is just the way males looks in this series. Poor Ranko, you are really out of place...
The problem is that Ranko matured way earlier. To him, her affection is just business as usual, from before he knew what romance was.

Quote:
I am talking about the anime ending, here is the title of episode 75
Spoiler for Marmalade boy ending:
I only read the manga, where
Spoiler for manga:

And even if it's not
Spoiler for do we really need spoiler tags for something that old?:
Unlike Da Capo. Or what about Koi Kaze? The title would be
Spoiler for Koi Kaze:
Or Angel Sanctuary?
Spoiler for Angel Sanctuary:
And let's not touch a more recent father/daughter one...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 18:58   Link #614
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Habit. They started when they were very young and just never stopped.

The problem is that Ranko matured way earlier. To him, her affection is just business as usual, from before he knew what romance was.
That's would confirm that he is dense. And giving that he is zombie movie centered that should be obvious, I just hoped for something more engrossing.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 19:26   Link #615
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
Er didn't that twist turn out to be
Spoiler for Marmalade Boy ending:
Yeah, but in todays context, drop that bomb on this week episode and the message board will burn for a week, like Rome when nero went bonkers

Quote:
I watched MB back when I had a lot of free time... and was trying to ingratiate myself to a fangirl of the show. I can still hear Miki whining DOUSHIO?!?! in my nightmares
Yeah, she should learn from Nyaruko and rape the guy she likes on the spot

I do hope Sankarea gets a second season, but so far I have not heard that sales were on that level :/ I do want more animes with real undead.
Old 2012-05-19, 21:19   Link #616
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Wanko in a kimono and who lets there kid watch zombie movie
Old 2012-05-20, 01:22   Link #617
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
Wanko in a kimono and who lets there kid watch zombie movie
Same one that lets a teenager sleep with girl wearing only his son's shirt and eating poisonous leaves in their yard
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-20, 01:30   Link #618
Ryuudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Same one that lets a teenager sleep with girl wearing only his son's shirt and eating poisonous leaves in their yard
That's how anime works of course
Ryuudou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-20, 01:31   Link #619
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, I think he believes that girl is the mother of his future grandchild...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-20, 14:11   Link #620
Ray
Garnet

Eh, episode 7 was fairly boring. I don't dislike Ranko, but I definitely don't like her. The only thing she's good for in my eyes is fanservice; she had this whole episode focused on her, and still failed to deliver.

The bit of back-story was nice enough, I suppose. It'll take a lot more than that to get me to actually like her as a character, though.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecchi, romance, shounen, slice-of-unlife, supernatural, zombie moe, zombies