AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2015-08-23, 16:07   Link #1
Iron Maw
Banned

Summon Night 5 [PSP/PSV] (oversea localization)

Since there is no thread for this here (last looked on search anyway) I thought be a good time as any to make this.

(Resized, Original image here)

Though some of spin-off titles of this series has been brought over from Japan (Summon Night: Swordcraft and Twin Age games) this is first time a mainline title will be released overseas and Gajinworks (formerly Working Designs) will be handling the localization. The games are very popular in Japan, but have had next no presence in the west for years. Part of the goal of this thread rectify that a bit by bring attention to next game.

What is Summon Night?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Summon Night (サモンナイト Samon Naito?) is a series of role-playing video games, mixed with elements of a visual novel based dating sim. The series is generally developed by Flight-Plan, published by Banpresto, and contain character designs by Izuka Takeshi. The series has had six main line entries, and seven spin-off entries, spanning the PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation Vita, Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS video game consoles. As of 2014, only three entries had ever been localized into English, all spinoffs - the Summon Night: Twin Age, the Summon Night: Swordcraft Story and its sequel
Summon Night 5?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summon Night Wikia
The world of Summon Night changed dramatically for this entry. Now the medieval setting changed completely to a more contemporary world mixed with many of the other cultures and tribes already present in other Summon Night games. The stage for this title is the city of Savorle, a model city in this new era where people from all the different world can coexist. However, its to be expected that with so many different mindsets and opinions, conflicts would happen. That is when the protagonist enter. The player can once more choose between a male - Folth - or a female - Arca. Being a summoner working for the Eucross organization, the protagonist has to solve many cases to protect the city and its citizens. The player also has 4 partners to choose from. Those characters are the lead’s adopted brother/sister and they fight together forming the new pact called Cross and using the new “Summon Resonance”.
Gameplay Overview
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Similar to the past main numbered entries in the series, the game is played as a tactical role-playing game. The game involves the player moving characters in a turn based fashion across a large grid from an adjustable isometric perspective. At the beginning of the game, the player can chose to play as either a male or female protagonist, and chose from 4 separate "Cross" (partner) characters. Which combinations are selected affect both the dialogue and story progression, leading to eight separate paths to take through the game.

As in most tactical RPGs, the goal is for the player to strategically move their characters across the grid, to defeat the AI-controlled opponent's team of characters. This is generally done by moving characters in certain positions to attack the opposing character. Attacks take away from a character hit points, losing all hitpoints eliminate characters from battle, and the team without any characters left loses. In addition to this general flow of battle, the game also uses the "Brave Battle System". A players team contains a numerical "Brave Points" value that represents the teams morale for the fight. When bad actions occur, such as a character of the player dying, brave points are lost, and if they drop to zero, the battle is over and lost. Conversely, by carrying out certain positive actions, such as fulfilling "brave conditions", such as being the first to initiate an attack, or defeating a certain number of a certain enemy type, results in gaining more brave points. Successfully completing brave conditions may also result in gaining "brave medals", which in turn can be used to purchase new attacks and abilities for characters to use in future battles.

Opening video(animation by ufotable):
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Release and other stuff

Pre-sale

(Resized, Original image here)

Gajinworks has been currently holding an on going pre-sale since the start of this month. This last week to get in on deal.-

LE contents
Quote:
  • Case with multi-sided cover insert
  • UMD with custom art (may be different than shown)
  • Full-color game manual
  • Giant 14"x19" poster (one of two randomly inserted shown)
  • Full Summon Night 5 Original Soundtrack CD (OST)
  • North America PSN (only) digital download code, good for free download
  • Serial Numbered Holographic Seal

More details here:
http://www.gaijinworks.com/SN5_presale_live.htm

Resources:
http://www.gaijinworks.com/about/psp...ummon-night-5/ (Official English site)
http://summonnight.wikia.com/wiki/Summon_Night_5
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summon_Night_5
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summon_Night
http://www.summonnight.net/sn5/ (Official Japanese site)

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2015-08-23 at 22:36.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-23, 18:12   Link #2
AnimeFangirl

I want both posters, wat do?
Old 2015-08-23, 21:05   Link #3
Iron Maw
Banned

I really hope this does well for Gaijinworks so that SN6 can be a lock too.

I suppose the benefit to these game being stand alone storywise despite taking place in the same world and having the same continuity is that you don't have to had played the older ones, you can jump right into the new entries with no fuss. Yeah downside is that you will probably miss out on references, cameos and whatnot from the earlier games, but it's kinda of thing that no big deal in itself.
Old 2015-08-23, 21:11   Link #4
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

I don't know anything about this game but the characters at 0:52 (the girl), 0:54 and 1:00 are seriously cute.

I'm such a lolicon.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-23, 21:14   Link #5
Iron Maw
Banned

Well, that's fine. As I more or less said you don't really have to.
Old 2015-08-23, 21:26   Link #6
JohnNiles

I signed up for the pre-sale a week ago. I'm not completely convinced the game will actually be good - all the footage I saw was endless grid-based combat, and the shops look tantalizing but I'm not sure how they work. The music is good, though.
JohnNiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-23, 21:33   Link #7
Iron Maw
Banned

Yeah most videos tend focus on the combat aspects and very little on story (those seem to be from importers). There are definitely plot centric story scenes, but you have to dig around for them in Japanese.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2015-08-23 at 23:30.
Old 2015-08-28, 13:01   Link #8
Iron Maw
Banned

Gajinworks released a trailer.
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2015-08-29, 04:14   Link #9
AnimeFangirl

I don't need to watch it. I already know what the gameplay is like in all the Summon Night games.
Old 2015-09-30, 12:00   Link #10
nero12

Summon Night 5’s Lengthy Video Shows Early Battles And Events
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/09/30...attles-events/
Old 2015-12-16, 19:32   Link #11
Iron Maw
Banned

Game's out on PSN!
Old 2015-12-17, 09:35   Link #12
AnimeFangirl

Anyone played it yet? How's it going?
Old 2015-12-18, 00:29   Link #13
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Holy shit it's coming out on PSP?!

Welp, time to go fix my PSP and unfuck it (power button's not working)

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-18, 17:59   Link #14
JohnNiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFangirl View Post
I've played a bit, haven't gotten too far. My overall impression, it's... cute? The helpers are cute, the NPCs are cute, the reactions are cute.

I like the map and its shortcuts. It's a good compromise between a boring menu-driven interface and a resource-intensive overworld. Going into the game with nothing but battle videos to rely on, this was my main concern: whether there was anything to do outside of combat. Moving around the city, talking to NPCs, figuring out which skills to level, unlocking extras... I'm satisfied with what I got.

The game throws a lot of tutorials at you, even when you're browsing a shop. I've been skipping them, sometimes to my detriment. I'll go back and read some of them when I get stuck.

Speaking of getting stuck, not only are there in-battle quicksaves, but you can also save at the beginning of battle, so I overwrote my only save file and almost got stuck in a fight I wasn't prepared for.

The extra battle objectives are nice, though some of them are clearly meant for rematches (ex: killing two enemies at once when you don't have an AoE skill), and I overextended myself a few times chasing them. In my first major battle, I felt exposed defensively... I'll probably have to read some of the tutorials to rectify that.

I noticed there's stat allocation on level up, which is something I generally don't like, as it means it's possible to make borked builds. There's also an item for resetting your stats... I take that as an acknowledgment that stat allocation is a shaky mechanic.

All in all, I'm satisfied to let Summon Night 5 anchor my holiday gaming.
JohnNiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-19, 14:07   Link #15
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFangirl View Post
Sadly, I'm probably not gonna be able to touch this until I'm at least finished with Trail SC.

Glad to impressions are good though!
Old 2015-12-29, 08:12   Link #16
nero12

Finally started playing this though Trails in the sky is also taking most of my time but the battles sure take up quite some time even the early battles. Normally, in the first few battles you tend to curbstomp your opponent easily but in SN5 it makes you think from the getgo. I really like that. Gives the strategy aspect much more emphasis than usual.
Old 2016-02-12, 03:28   Link #17
Twi

Ah, Summon Night. I liked Swordcraft story one and two, though Twin Age was disappointing. But I question the logic in only having the physical UMDs in English being a temporary release. I don't like PSN for a reason.

Last edited by Twi; 2016-02-12 at 03:39.
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-29, 00:37   Link #18
Iron Maw
Banned

Finally managed to put some time into and go up to Ch 3. It's pretty good so far.

The characters are surprising fun and little more to earth then I was expecting. The script has plenty personality and I'm rather happy that despite being able choose to between a male and female MC they aren't just an avatar, but a full fledged character. As of the moment Cyda is the character I like the most. I went with Arca and chose Spinel as her Cross for my first play-through BTW.

Battles are a bit tougher than I expected. While there is no perm-death however if you rush enemies all at once you will quickly find yourself heading for a game over since they can do surprising high among of damage a your party are often out numbered almost no AoE skills. What also adds to the difficultly is when trying to forfill the optional sub-objectives (called Brave Orders) in each story battle. And seems will worth you time to do since they are only way you can win medals needed to get and expand the number of Party Skills you can use. Also it seems like magic can only be used by Summoners (Arca, Calis, Cyda and Souken) while non-Summoner party members (Yeng-hua and Albert) get access to multiple weapons types which you can change whenever the situation calls for it which is pretty neat.

The graphics are surprising good for PSP game. Particularly the character models. It's almost par with FE Fates really.

Only thing dislike however is how you have no access to main menu unless you are in a facility of some sort or your room. =/

EDIT: BTW, I'm playing this on Vita.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2016-03-01 at 09:08.

Tags
felistella, psp, psvita, srpg