Wolfenstein

No new chapter yet...
Old 2013-02-28, 17:05   Link #12383
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfenstein View Post
No new chapter yet...
Hold on Cross is probably working on it as we speak, it should be out in a few hours
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 17:06   Link #12384
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

You guys are assuming this has to make sense. When has Medaka Box ever made sense?
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 17:27   Link #12385
Wolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKey View Post
Hold on Cross is probably working on it as we speak, it should be out in a few hours
Sorry, the comment was purely rhetorical to pass time. Bless the hard work of translators. After all, it's free.

I just kinda forget where I'm posting sometimes.

Old 2013-02-28, 17:34   Link #12386
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
You guys are assuming this has to make sense. When has Medaka Box ever made sense?
Never. It never made any sense and that is not about to change any time soon.
Old 2013-02-28, 17:38   Link #12387
Wolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
TBF she clearly can't do that, otherwise she wouldn't have dissapeared at all for several months. Either she's alive and stuck somewhere or unable to save herself.
That's kinda what dosen't make sense.

If she actually destroyed the moon by...I dare say, using End God Mode on it(sounds exaggerated, but bear with me, this is Medaka), and that killed her, she could easily revive with All-Fiction.

Anything short of using All-Fiction on herself(which is BS, since she'd only need to use it on the moon) is treatable by All-Fiction. So why all the drama about never coming back?

Well, I guess that's just usual Shounen BS. Let's wait and see the chapter.
Old 2013-02-28, 17:43   Link #12388
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfenstein View Post
That's kinda what dosen't make sense.

If she actually destroyed the moon by...I dare say, using End God Mode on it(sounds exaggerated, but bear with me, this is Medaka), and that killed her, she could easily revive with All-Fiction.

Anything short of using All-Fiction on herself(which is BS, since she'd only need to use it on the moon) is treatable by All-Fiction. So why all the drama about never coming back?

Well, I guess that's just usual Shounen BS. Let's wait and see the chapter.
If medaka box had an energy system you probably say she spent all of it lfeforce included destroying the moon and so lacked the means resurrect herself of course Medaka does not, since Nisio didn't spend more than 2 mins thinking about the ability parameters for his universe and add things determined solely by plot rather than a consistent logic.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 18:05   Link #12389
Homura7

You guys just wait till the chapter is out. Making conjectures won't help you ease the wait.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 18:51   Link #12390
Homura7

https://twitter.com/CXCScans/status/307272572586819585

Brace yourselves.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 19:28   Link #12391
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
If medaka box had an energy system.
One of the reasons Medaka Box is better than a lot of other shounen manga is because it doesn't have an energy system.
What matters (most of the time) is what abilities you have, how they interact with other abilities, and what aspects of your personality or your abilities make you vulnerable to certain forms of attack. Medaka, with her wealth of powers and sheer physical might, breaks that simple balance and as a result her fights are usually really boring to read.
Old 2013-02-28, 19:32   Link #12392
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
One of the reasons Medaka Box is better than a lot of other shounen manga is because it doesn't have an energy system.
What matters (most of the time) is what abilities you have, how they interact with other abilities, and what aspects of your personality or your abilities make you vulnerable to certain forms of attack. Medaka, with her wealth of powers and sheer physical might, breaks that simple balance and as a result her fights are usually really boring to read.
There's no explanation for the abilities nor limitations. Also medaka box isn't better tell me in what way is Medaka box better, the vast majority of the battles in this manga are pretty awful. Medaka box has no consistent logic to it's fights, most battle shounen manga's may not be too great but at leasts they follow a consistent which logic Medaka box does not. There's a reason why Zenkichi the guy with no inate abilities tends to have the best fights in the manga. There's also a reason why Medaka box has shit climax battles. because Nisio's battle system is pretty awful and he doesn't know what to do with it. He creates hax abilites then writes himself into a hole in regards to battle progression. Which is the reason most fights take all of 1-2 chapters at mostand come down to rock paper scissors hard counters or rapestomp.

Honestly It's actually quite sad how many battles they're are in the manga and how many that are actually good I'm talking about actual physical battles, not the other stuff Medaka box does. Medaka box's is great at hyping up and concept of battles, but it's pretty poor in execution. I like some of Medaka box's fights but the fact I struggle to name some goods ones is really my point.

Last edited by Tenchi Hou Take; 2013-02-28 at 19:44.
Old 2013-02-28, 19:43   Link #12393
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
There's no explanation for the abilities nor limitations.
There are actually a lot of explanations. There may not be very grounded or technical explanations, but there are, at least, explanations.
What you get when you have an energy system is literal power levels. Medaka Box avoids this entirely by having power rankings based on the type and usefulness of the Skills each character has, not simply "I am stronger than you because I have more energy".
Old 2013-02-28, 19:48   Link #12394
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
There are actually a lot of explanations. There may not be very grounded or technical explanations, but there are, at least, explanations.
What you get when you have an energy system is literal power levels. Medaka Box avoids this entirely by having power rankings based on the type and usefulness of the Skills each character has, not simply "I am stronger than you because I have more energy".
Energy system does not equal power levels, the only example of that in mainstream shounen was Dragonball. Maybe Bleach, but even that is still mostly abilty based. Compare some HxH battles with it's Nen battle system or any half decent One piece fight, FMA fight, most good shounen fights to Medaka box fights and you'll see the despairty in depth.

Medaka box's battle system is pretty much rock paper scssors with ridiculous abilites with some that just plain counter everything. They're also really short, because Nisio only seems to work with direct counters. The exception to this rule is generally Zenkichi which is why I prefer his fights to the others.
Old 2013-02-28, 21:26   Link #12395
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
@Kaisos Erranon

Usually with the energy system, superpowers stem largely from an outisde ir internal energy source that the users learn to channel with training. Dragon Ball has ki, One Piece has Haki, Yu Yu Hakusho has reiki and youki, Bleach is similar to YYH but Medaka Box has vaguely defined superpowers that stem largely from personalities. If it were a matter of power then Ajimu would rolfstomp everybody in the manga with Kumagawa, Medaka, Kanome, Hanten, Hansode and Iihiko being a close second. Medaka was never a manga about power levels and even if it was it wouldn't make any sort of sense. Where do they get these powers? You cannot get it from nowhere.

@Tenchi Hou Take

I mostly agree but I also know that with some characters such as Medaka or Ajimu, any 'fight' would be a trivial manner.
Old 2013-02-28, 22:42   Link #12396
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
In the context of the setting, it's always made perfect sense. It's just the story of people with extremely specialized skills, often based on their most prominent personality traits. The author makes great pains to explain everything, leave clues to follow, and he never leaves the reader hanging on seemingly surprise events. Although I think he loves cliffhangers just a bit too much.

It's an extremely weird story with silly characters, but it's never been hard to follow or understand. I think the translators have done a great job of working hard to make sure most of the wordplay remains in the script.
Old 2013-02-28, 23:04   Link #12397
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
In the context of the setting, it's always made perfect sense. It's just the story of people with extremely specialized skills, often based on their most prominent personality traits. The author makes great pains to explain everything, leave clues to follow, and he never leaves the reader hanging on seemingly surprise events. Although I think he loves cliffhangers just a bit too much.

It's an extremely weird story with silly characters, but it's never been hard to follow or understand. I think the translators have done a great job of working hard to make sure most of the wordplay remains in the script.
Agreed, I never found it hard to understand, indeed I think Nisio took pains to make sure people understood at times, more than he did with Monotagari, for example.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 02:53   Link #12398
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I'm not saying that the story or elements in it don't make sense, I'm saying that events don't always logically follow from what came before them.
Anything can happen because of this. That's almost my biggest problem with it; being unpredictable is not always a good thing.
Old 2013-03-01, 04:31   Link #12399
DarkRaven
GOD

I thought this only happened in dragon ball.. and so the moon is gone lol
DarkRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 04:55   Link #12400
Breimoon

couldn't she use contradictory stile ? you can have impossible things happen with it. Like having the moon go the wrong way and missing the earth.Or could have some meteors hit the moon out of the trajectory to the earth.
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council