AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > GATE

Notices

Old 2015-07-04, 10:35   Link #81
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I suppose the only thing that I was surprised about was the lack of damage. I expected from the summary that the invasion would be a massive disaster, but it doesn't even seem like that many people even died all things considered. Lot of running and then modern artillery crushed the force that had crossed the gate into paste.

But it was a good first episode. It was nice to see the lead be a pretty rational force out there and getting people to safety. Sure there was the kind of dumb aspect of him being worried about a sale during a crisis with people dying, but at least he still got the job done out there.

Guess we'll have to see if humanity can restrain itself from outright invasion. I'd sure take the tanks over what the other side has presented militarily so far.
Old 2015-07-04, 10:36   Link #82
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
In today's time when Game of Thrones is the most watched show out there, I just don't buy the argument that cutting down on sex and violence is effectively expanding your target audience. You can't sell anime to soccer moms either.
Game of Thrones airs on cable so the show can show that kinda stuff unlike say NBC and ABC where there are network guidelines on what can and cannot be shown.
Old 2015-07-04, 10:45   Link #83
moodie

After watching Gate i can see how most people wouldnt be soo on board. But in terms of adapting the novel they did good for the first episode. Seeing how this is a 2 cour series i didnt expect anything rushed off the bat. They did however set up everything for the future fine. We all know where this is heading but lets just enjoy the ride. There is a slight harem but thats not its sub genre its just a cliche they will use. Seeing how the MC is older than ur typical MC and seeing him kill a person right off the bat shows promise. I hate how ppl are going to compare this to SAO not only because its an rpg but the same studio. Tbh this looks like a fun ride already. JSPD + mystical creators trying to protect the world type shit.
moodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 10:54   Link #84
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
In today's time when Game of Thrones is the most watched show out there, I just don't buy the argument that cutting down on sex and violence is effectively expanding your target audience. You can't sell anime to soccer moms either.
Soccer moms have kids. So you have to be at a certain rating for titles to get seen. It's true that 18+ stuff is popular. However, you don't see it on TV where it would get the most exposure
Old 2015-07-04, 10:56   Link #85
TheRealWinston

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodie View Post
I hate how ppl are going to compare this to SAO not only because its an rpg but the same studio.
First, who compared that to SAO and second in what case is GATE represinting an RPG like in SAO?
TheRealWinston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 10:58   Link #86
moodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWinston View Post
First, who compared that to SAO and second in what case is GATE represinting an RPG like in SAO?
on other forums ive been on

and i mean the whole monster fantasy thing
moodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 11:10   Link #87
RDNexus

Dear goodness... People out there simply jump to conclusions too early, too easily... Sad... So sad...
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 11:15   Link #88
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
There is a difference between Japanese anime and US live action serials though. Anime with blood, gore and ultraviolence combined tend to be the exception rather than the rule
I'm not asking for violence because I get off of that shit, but when there's so little of it it really drives the question why, and I am positive it's not because they wanted to expand their target audience. Besides, you're being modest, lots of shows do violence and blood, they just don't expand on the details, because in most cases there's no point to gore anyway. They draw blood spatter, maybe some limbs flying off, people shot up by bullets. Animators can be conservative to drive that there is violence happening. It has the same effect as gore, except that truly gory scenes can be perceived as self-indulgent.

The show toned down the violence either because of poor planning, script writers being incompetent, director being incompetent, or animators weren't available. That is the real reason, because people getting stabbed and piled up on takes more effort. The whole attack scene was average if not sloppily made for a first episode. It didn't need to omit violence to prove that.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 11:27   Link #89
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
Dear goodness... People out there simply jump to conclusions too early, too easily... Sad... So sad...
Yes I'm sure no one who read the original source material had any conclusions drawn after the prologue/initial chapters. That's kind of the way you go with things.

Should be fun to see how the next few episodes unfold.
Old 2015-07-04, 11:36   Link #90
RDNexus

cyth... I understand that the scale of the invasion was bigger than it was made out to be in the Anime.
But I clearly noticed that things were getting quite ugly, even if the whole scale was being skimmed through quite quickly.
They did things more suggestively instead of flat out straight and I had no problems with it.

You accusing staff members out of nowhere, without a clear clue as to what might have been the real cause of how the scene was directed, seems to me as a quite unfair and an excuse of yours to not simply claim you didn't like the scene as you might have wanted it.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 12:13   Link #91
Draco Spirit

Not a bad start IMHO.

First with have our nerdy hero... who just happens to be a total badarse solider as well. It's a nice to see a show that shows thatnerd and warrior aren't polar opposite. I think he likely falling into the heroic neutral archetype, in that he has no grand vision putting the world to rights, but will defend what he cares about when push comes to shove.

Orcs vs tanks was fun to watch, which is a major selling point of the show. We've yet to meet the other major selling point of the show in the form of the girls yet however.

Gore level could be higher, but I suspect the studio has to keep to some kind of rules for their channel and time slot, so not much that likely changeable outside the OVAs latter.

Lets see how it develops.
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 12:28   Link #92
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

It wasn't bad or good really, and at least it was slightly interesting, but... Not really sure what to say. Man, the whole world is at war and the first thing you think is going to/missing a convention, which is really... ugh, stupid.
But as far as this season goes, at least it didn't leave me half-dead from boredom, so I'll keep watching for now.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 12:40   Link #93
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
cyth... I understand that the scale of the invasion was bigger than it was made out to be in the Anime.
Realistically, the original invasion would have been by a force of a few thousand soldiers, orcs etc. and that's all. Medieval-type military forces just aren't big, they've got a poor logistical tail for food and other supplies and the Gate itself is narrow limiting how many troops can get through it over the period of an hour or two. Most of the invaders would have been on foot, able to deploy a kilometre or two from the Gate at maximum in the few hours before the JSDF could contain and then engage them. Shortly after that it's game over, an hour or two of one-sided fighting will eliminate the invaders as a fighting force. The invaders probably didn't last until nightfall as a credible force.

There would still be thousands of casualties with hundreds of civilians killed at the minimum simply because the Ginza is a crowded area but the actual battle per se would be short.

There's a SF short story, "The Road Not Taken", where aliens land on Earth to conquer us. They know we're primitives because they can't detect any starships on or near Earth and star travel is easy, it's invented by most alien races well before steam engines or even gunpowder weapons. They think that because they've got muzzle-loading muskets we'll be a pushover...
Old 2015-07-04, 12:56   Link #94
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
Realistically, the original invasion would have been by a force of a few thousand soldiers, orcs etc. and that's all. Medieval-type military forces just aren't big, they've got a poor logistical tail for food and other supplies and the Gate itself is narrow limiting how many troops can get through it over the period of an hour or two. Most of the invaders would have been on foot, able to deploy a kilometre or two from the Gate at maximum in the few hours before the JSDF could contain and then engage them. Shortly after that it's game over, an hour or two of one-sided fighting will eliminate the invaders as a fighting force. The invaders probably didn't last until nightfall as a credible force.

There would still be thousands of casualties with hundreds of civilians killed at the minimum simply because the Ginza is a crowded area but the actual battle per se would be short.

There's a SF short story, "The Road Not Taken", where aliens land on Earth to conquer us. They know we're primitives because they can't detect any starships on or near Earth and star travel is easy, it's invented by most alien races well before steam engines or even gunpowder weapons. They think that because they've got muzzle-loading muskets we'll be a pushover...
With regard to to the realism of the Imperial Army invading Ginza, In the manga, even the police hold them off for a while alone armed with revolvers, shotguns, MP5 submachine guns, and riot shields until the JSDF show up.

Quite frankly though, I would not be surprised if, had a Roman or medieval-level army showed up in a modern city, they would be defeated by the cops- albeit in the UK they'd have to wait until the armed squads show up. Handguns would be effective enough to hold off the invaders, and might actually scare them into retreat. Even if they didn't, the riot shields, shotguns, SMGs, assault rifles, and tear gas of a SWAT-type unit would enough to decisively defeat an medieval army- after sustaining heavy losses from gunfire, the invaders would definitely flee back across the portal in terror.

Even before the police showed up, quite frankly, if a truck driver or bulldozer operator or something had shown to initiative to ram the Imperial formations while blaring his horn, that would definitely do some damage, and might even cause them to flee in terror at what they would see as a "giant monster" charging at them.

As for the scenario of the battle between the JSDF and the Imperial army, after they saw the firepower of modern tanks, artillery, and aircraft, they'd probably mistake modern humanity for gods.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 13:00   Link #95
Wandering Soul

Good start. I was expecting the invasion to be more brutal but that came off rather tame.

The MC at least has a good head on his shoulders with the exception of being worried about a sale during the invasion.

So far I'd say humanity chances of winning that are good considering the tanks they have. So far the other side hasn't shown anything outstanding.
Old 2015-07-04, 13:06   Link #96
p-kun

I'm surprised on the judgmental criticism the show has already garnered just from the first episode. I think this series deserves a few episodes trial before such harsh "criticism" are warranted because I find some of these "critics" overreacted based on preset judgements.

I find the manga good and the anime adaptation to be a good adaptation, albeit slow. I'm in for the ride as long as the show is not censored too much. I heard this airs on family hour, so I'm a bit concerned.
p-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 13:18   Link #97
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
As for the scenario of the battle between the JSDF and the Imperial army, after they saw the firepower of modern tanks, artillery, and aircraft, they'd probably mistake modern humanity for gods.
That's pretty much the setup for the next episode going by the teaser at the end of the first one although the Empire's forces at the Gate are a lot larger than the invasion force. Then again the JSDF don't have to worry about collateral damage or civilians getting in the way as in the Ginza invasion. One of the bits of hardware rolling through the Gate along with the tanks and armoured cars are some self-propelled guns, probably the 155mm Type 75, not something used where you don't want collateral damage. They don't call artillery the Queen of Battles for nothing.
Old 2015-07-04, 13:19   Link #98
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-kun View Post
I'm surprised on the judgmental criticism the show has already garnered just from the first episode. I think this series deserves a few episodes trial before such harsh "criticism" are warranted because I find some of these "critics" overreacted based on preset judgements.
I've seen a lot of complaints in various places about the lack of gore compared to the manga, which surprised me a bit.

Seeing Itami kill a enemy soldier is enough to get the seriousness of the matter, I think. Not to mention the monsters running about.

No need for further gore is there?

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 13:27   Link #99
ComaPrison

i'm a fan of the manga but i'm not into the slow pacing the anime has demonstrated so far.
ComaPrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 13:43   Link #100
Kamui04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
I've seen a lot of complaints in various places about the lack of gore compared to the manga, which surprised me a bit.

Seeing Itami kill a enemy soldier is enough to get the seriousness of the matter, I think. Not to mention the monsters running about.

No need for further gore is there?
It's more to do with the depiction of civilian casualties. With the lack of it shown, people not familiar with the source material believe the amount of casualties is no more than a dozen or a few dozen when you see hundreds running safely to the imperial palace and only a couple of corpses left behind. When it was in fact in the hundreds or thousands of them.

As aohige mentioned here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I think the causality count shouldn't have been omitted in the TV news though.
Already I see tons of reactions on 2ch questioning justification of retaliation, as many didn't seem to understand the gravity of the attack.
The lack of visual depiction or a clear mention of the amount of casualties in the invasion makes people think that the retaliation and war against the other world isn't justified.

Last edited by Kamui04; 2015-07-04 at 13:55.
Kamui04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
military science fiction, seinen