AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-07-01, 22:29   Link #1
Xion Valkyrie

Google+

Anyone switching?

I never really used facebook that much. Mostly because I definitely didn't want to share everything with EVERYONE on my friends list.

Google+ pretty much has that in mind and the circles are just perfect for what I want. You can also subscribe to people who don't put you in a circle (you get their public feeds).

Much cleaner interface with no annoying game stuff all over the place. Better privacy policy too.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 22:35   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm examining it this week. Like any new doodad.... so far it looks really sleek and functional. Of course.. .so did Facebook in the beginning. OTOH... I actually have a better opinion of Google than I do of Tuckertwit - whom I consider a scum from the starting gate.
Old 2011-07-01, 22:53   Link #3
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Much cleaner interface with no annoying game stuff all over the place. Better privacy policy too.
Until they sell out. Do you remember when you had to have a college university email to sign up for Facebook? Yeah.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 23:00   Link #4
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Until they sell out. Do you remember when you had to have a college university email to sign up for Facebook? Yeah.
Who the hell has enough money to make Google sell out?
Old 2011-07-01, 23:03   Link #5
GDB

Who knows, but it starts small. With Facebook, the first step was something as minor as allowing those with high school email addresses. A sensible change that started a huge slide.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 23:15   Link #6
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
^ this

i didn't know it existed until i saw this thread hahaha

looks cool, will switch over from facebook, granted i don't really have a problem with facebook so i'll probably do both
Old 2011-07-01, 23:18   Link #7
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
China.

Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 23:27   Link #8
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
China.

They didn't.
Old 2011-07-01, 23:30   Link #9
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
They didn't.
Sure about that? I vaguely remember something about being unable to search terms like "Tiananmen" in Google.cn...

...well, Google did rediscover their balls afterwards, so yeah.

Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 23:36   Link #10
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

What is this about Google Chrome infringing on our privacy? If someone could provide info on that, that would be good.

I know the jist of that (what I just brought up) and because of that, I'm leary about Google+.
Old 2011-07-01, 23:44   Link #11
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
What is this about Google Chrome infringing on our privacy? If someone could provide info on that, that would be good.

I know the jist of that (what I just brought up) and because of that, I'm leary about Google+.
It was actually Chrome and every GPS/LBS-enabled smartphone OS (including iOS)--they were storing location cache data unencrypted on the device. There are extensions for Chrome and a root app for Android that lets you block the location caching. Not really a privacy issue since the data isn't sent anywhere, but stored on your phone so location-based services can more quickly determine your location for things like weather widgets and Google Maps/Navigation.

Anyway, it's not that illuminating info. It just stores the location of the cell towers and wifi access points your phone or laptop uses, which is actually useful information for you, not that useful for anyone trying to find your exact location, since they'd need to either have your device or compromise it with spyware. If you have a rooted Android device you can check it by downloading Location Cache Map and it'll show all the towers and wifi routers your phone has been connected to. I've used the data to find out where my coverage is best and worst, and it allows me to more tightly control my phone's radio and save battery life.
Old 2011-07-02, 01:12   Link #12
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Who knows, but it starts small. With Facebook, the first step was something as minor as allowing those with high school email addresses. A sensible change that started a huge slide.
Then came the user developed "apps", which really made Facebook chaotic.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 02:58   Link #13
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

interesting I might give it a try! I'm leaving facebook after this is up! Google + seems like a better concept

Check out the stuff it has too offer!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Google#p.../0/xwnJ5Bl4kLI

Its so great! I really hope this turns out well!

Last edited by Afternoon Tea; 2011-07-02 at 03:12.
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 09:56   Link #14
Leo Keichi

I don't get it. Google already has Orkut. They just had to add more functionalities to it.
Leo Keichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 14:02   Link #15
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
It was actually Chrome and every GPS/LBS-enabled smartphone OS (including iOS)--they were storing location cache data unencrypted on the device. There are extensions for Chrome and a root app for Android that lets you block the location caching. Not really a privacy issue since the data isn't sent anywhere, but stored on your phone so location-based services can more quickly determine your location for things like weather widgets and Google Maps/Navigation.

Anyway, it's not that illuminating info. It just stores the location of the cell towers and wifi access points your phone or laptop uses, which is actually useful information for you, not that useful for anyone trying to find your exact location, since they'd need to either have your device or compromise it with spyware. If you have a rooted Android device you can check it by downloading Location Cache Map and it'll show all the towers and wifi routers your phone has been connected to. I've used the data to find out where my coverage is best and worst, and it allows me to more tightly control my phone's radio and save battery life.
Thanks, Syn. That gave me a lot more details than I had known. In fact, my rough idea of this issue wasn't even accurate.
Old 2011-07-02, 17:43   Link #16
Xion Valkyrie

A comment I read somewhere provides a pretty good argument for Google+'s possible eventual success. It basically said that a lot of people will use Google+ as the social network for their real/close friends, while keeping Facebook for all those random 'friends'. Once Google keeps on improving Google+, they'll start shifting to using Google+ more and more and eventually just drop Facebook altogether once enough people move over.

Of course, it might not happen that way at all, but you never know.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 21:13   Link #17
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
A comment I read somewhere provides a pretty good argument for Google+'s possible eventual success. It basically said that a lot of people will use Google+ as the social network for their real/close friends, while keeping Facebook for all those random 'friends'. Once Google keeps on improving Google+, they'll start shifting to using Google+ more and more and eventually just drop Facebook altogether once enough people move over.

Of course, it might not happen that way at all, but you never know.
Y'know it might be a good idea if on FB you could have "friends" "close friends" and "acquaintainces" or similiar.

There are a lot of people I've only met occasionally who I wouldn't consider as "friends".
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 21:34   Link #18
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Google is getting to full of them selfs making anther useless networking site.

Its only a matter of time before google starts there own country then where all screwed