AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 131 64.53%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 41 20.20%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 10.34%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 2.46%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 1.48%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.49%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.49%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-30, 23:09   Link #221
OkamiNoKaze

Wow, great episode, I haven't watched must Lost, and this episode gave me Lost vibes. Also I've been comparing him to Shirou pretty much from the beginning, The irony being he's in world where people don't die when they are killed.

Spoiler for Speculations based on episode:
Old 2010-05-30, 23:14   Link #222
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I have to say the episode really dropped my opinion of Otonashi. I mean it's fine if he's had a revelation and has accepted his life and death. But now he's going to go around manipulating the rest of the SSS to move on. It'd be better if he openly stated his beliefs and tried to convince them. Instead he realizes that won't work so he's going to betray the group so he can feel satisfied that he's done what's best for them. It just doesn't leave me with a positive feeling to see his actions at the end. Regardless of his good intentions I can't see it as anything other than betrayal against the others.
Old 2010-05-30, 23:19   Link #223
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I have to say the episode really dropped my opinion of Otonashi. I mean it's fine if he's had a revelation and has accepted his life and death. But now he's going to go around manipulating the rest of the SSS to move on. It'd be better if he openly stated his beliefs and tried to convince them. Instead he realizes that won't work so he's going to betray the group so he can feel satisfied that he's done what's best for them. It just doesn't leave me with a positive feeling to see his actions at the end. Regardless of his good intentions I can't see it as anything other than betrayal against the others.
That's why it will be interesting when Yurippe finds out about this plan. I can't wait for the conflict to start.
Old 2010-05-30, 23:22   Link #224
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
That's why it will be interesting when Yurippe finds out about this plan. I can't wait for the conflict to start.
Yeah it should be interesting. I mean considering how much they trust Otonashi the revelation will be painful for all of them. Who saw Otonashi as being the last boss coming ?
Old 2010-05-30, 23:35   Link #225
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yeah it should be interesting. I mean considering how much they trust Otonashi the revelation will be painful for all of them. Who saw Otonashi as being the last boss coming ?
lol I didn't. I always thought Yurippe will be the last boss but it is actually reversed.
Old 2010-05-30, 23:36   Link #226
boredandlazy

Who said Otanashi's going to be manipulating anyone? He simply wants to help them pass on, who says he's going to use underhanded tactics to do it?
He wants to keep this a secret from Yuri because it's obvious she'd have absolutely none of it and would prevent the others from even listening to Otanashi.
Old 2010-05-30, 23:52   Link #227
Knightrunner

Well moving around under Yurippe rader by having Kanade be the enemy again implies being underhanded but I could be wrong on how he is going to plan this out.
Old 2010-05-31, 00:51   Link #228
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
And here comes the pathos to get the show going in some sort of direction. As usual it's some sort of vehicular crash that gets the ball rolling(ho hum ) and pretty standard Key stuff really with the usual tendency to go way overboard in trying to illicit sympathy from the audience, but you could almost welcome that back into a show that has been pretty stale for most of it's run and lacking in direction. Still can't see how we're looking at anything other than a rehash of Little Busters though.
Old 2010-05-31, 01:23   Link #229
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampz21 View Post
me too...and where the hell did all of them get the card?....
Unlike the US which has no social health care, everyone in Japan has health insurance provided by the government which is paid for by taxes. As such, that health insurance card is something that everyone in Japan has and (from the poorest anime industry slave worker to the richest conglomerate head of Toyota, from the new born child to the oldest centenarian) carries so when they feel sick anytime, anywhere, they can visit any doctor anywhere in Japan, whip out that card and seek treatment without the fear of going bankrupt. The reverse side of the card has that donor statement.

Whereas in the US, the health insurance companies rule the medical world, you pay a monthly fee as they steal your money, you can only go to select HMO/PPO providers, can't seek help when you want (head hurts: in Japan go to a doctor and get treated the same day: in the US, you need to call in advance and told that the next open appointment is three weeks from now LOL), and even after you seek treatment, you get screwed over by the insurance companies with an exorbiant test and lab fees ($500 for an ambulance ride, $700 for an EKG, $8000 for an MRI) and you end up wasting hours and hours on the phone talking to some douchebag in India or Pakistan with a thick English accent who probably barely has a high school degree holding all the almighty keyboard stroke to deny your claim at all costs.

Last edited by kj1980; 2010-06-05 at 02:59.
Old 2010-05-31, 01:27   Link #230
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I'm not really gonna watch or is even interested to watch Little Busters for that comparison to matter anyway.

I really suspect that Yuri knows about what's going on. She knows that "NPCs" are programmed (and can be reprogrammed) to do something. And with the unexpected reinstatement of Kanade back to the Seitoukai, she would see Naoi as a suspect as he is the only one able to reprogram them to think that they are wrong (or Otonashi could have said the truth).

Either way, SSS is gonna get torn to two. Kanade, Otonashi and Naoi versus SSS shall ensue.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-05-31, 01:31   Link #231
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

the first half the episode was stellar, but they dropped the ball at the end. it'll be interesting to see how they go about developing everyone with so few episodes left.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2010-05-31, 01:39   Link #232
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
Unlike the US which has no social health care, everyone in Japan has health insurance provided by the government which is paid for by taxes. As such, that health insurance card is something that everyone (from the poorest anime industry slave worker to the richest conglomerate head of Toyota) carries so when they feel sick anytime, anywhere, they can visit any doctor anywhere in Japan, whip out that card and seek treatment without the fear of going bankrupt. The reverse side of the card has that donor statement.

Whereas in the US, the health insurance companies rule the medical world, you pay a monthly fee as they steal your money .....
Let's not get sidetracked with the 2nd paragraph here
Old 2010-05-31, 01:47   Link #233
Traece
:cool:

I couldn't help but feel insulted by the second half of this episode. It felt like Kanade was personally insulting me when she iterated the extremely obvious reason that they were all there, and pointed out how it was so obvious. When she revealed the true reason for their being there, I had a similar reaction to when what's-his-name asked what he should put for Tenshi's name on her tests. Yet again, the anime presented something extremely obvious and then chastised me for not noticing it sooner. Curse you Angel Beats!

As for the first half, I can't help but feel that this anime has a very sick sense of humor. In some ways, it even puts Higurashi and its sickening story to shame. As it stood, Yuri's backstory was already practically an excerpt from the dreaded tales of Higurashi. Now they've presented us with Otonashi's backstory (part two) and the punch line is that he basically gets the big "F U". The moment the light shone my two favorite words for the next two minutes were "sick" and "twisted".

The biggest regret I have about putting off this episode is that Kanade is adorable. Otonashi and Kanade together are even better. I just wish she'd stroke my cheek. Does that sound desperate?

Edit: Since everyone is talking about health care, I think it would be really nice if the U.S. would eventually give us similar cards. The entire time I was watching that scene I was giving props to Japan (or the anime, if that was their own idea, which it seems to not be?) for having an option like that for people who are in similar situations or just have a change of heart.
Old 2010-05-31, 01:55   Link #234
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Well, we need to hear it straight from the horse Angel's mouth for confirmation.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-05-31, 03:26   Link #235
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
As for the first half, I can't help but feel that this anime has a very sick sense of humor. In some ways, it even puts Higurashi and its sickening story to shame. As it stood, Yuri's backstory was already practically an excerpt from the dreaded tales of Higurashi. Now they've presented us with Otonashi's backstory (part two) and the punch line is that he basically gets the big "F U". The moment the light shone my two favorite words for the next two minutes were "sick" and "twisted".
As I said in this earlier post, the part where rescue arriving right after he dropped was a bit too convenient, but this is a drama. Anime, but still drama, so you can't blame them for making it a bit (melo)dramatic. As long as the flow/execution is done well, nothing feels absurd about it. Haven't we seen enough shows these days trying to force a touching scene which ends up totally backfiring? Maeda and his crew managed to build up enough emotion in merely 11.5 minutes that leads to the moving signing scene. I'm far from a coldhearted person, but still I'm not that sentimental to be moved by some forced scene. After rewatching it a few times, I have to admit though the BGM played during that scene does help with the emotion. That's the merit of having a scriptwriter who is also an EXTREMELY talented music composer.

Quote:
The biggest regret I have about putting off this episode is that Kanade is adorable. Otonashi and Kanade together are even better. I just wish she'd stroke my cheek. Does that sound desperate?
As I said before, waking up with her hand patting your head then caressing your face, anyone? And aren't you amazed how they always manage to find the right seiyuu for the character? The pureness in Hanazawa's voice just fits the scene (and of course the character nicked "Tenshi") way too well. When she called him "Yuduru", I thought I would melt if I were him.
Old 2010-05-31, 03:31   Link #236
Seitsuki
Onee!

stupid Otonashi, stop with the 'wanting to help others' bullshit and hook up with her already.

and sweet dear Lord Key, GG. we know you're good at making sad stories that make even Stalin cry. don't rub it in our face ;_;
Old 2010-05-31, 04:53   Link #237
Thoguht

In some ways I do find Otonashi's plan of deception disturbing, but right from the start we knew that he was never really a member of the SSS. In episode 1 he tells us "Truthfully speaking, I haven't actually joined the battlefront", and that all he is doing is buying time to recover his memories. "After that... I don't know". Well, he has recovered his memories, and he does know what he wants to do now.

Except...

I just have a growing worry about the second half of his "death story". Was Naoi's hypnosis really unable to recover all of the memories? When Otonashi wakes up and we see Kanade stroking his head, has she actually been "reprogramming" him by feeding him false memories? Is she the White Witch to Otonashi's Edmund? And what exactly is that far-away expression on her face? Is it the aftermath of her internal struggles with the harmonic Tenshis, or is she just trying to look as innocent and appealing as possible as part of her act? Does she see Otonashi merely as the perfect tool to finally destroy the SSS - the "weakest link", as he describes himself in the first episode? And, going on from that, was it really a coincidence that he ended up with the pivotal mapo tofu meal ticket? The shameless shipper in me really wants this all to be untrue, so please, someone, tell me I'm overthinking it
Old 2010-05-31, 05:16   Link #238
Marvx360x

Otonashi's death was sad

Kiba no Tabishounin Manga <3
Old 2010-05-31, 05:21   Link #239
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

man this ep was really really epic got me very teary eyed.

Also can someone tell me the name of the bg music that was playing at 20:02?
Old 2010-05-31, 05:26   Link #240
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyman282 View Post
Also can someone tell me the name of the bg music that was playing at 20:02?
From what I've heard so far, all the BMGs used in this show should be composed originally for this show, so before 7/28 when the OST will be out, no one can really give any answer to BGM titles.
Closed Thread