AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-07-07, 01:27   Link #21
Wandering Soul

Pretty good episode and best premiere so far. Nice animation, fitting music, and cool characters. Ash is a pretty likable character so far and I'm looking forward to seeing whether or not Eiji can rise up to match him and build up an interesting relationship with him.
Old 2018-07-07, 11:29   Link #22
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Afghanistan would be a possibility too.
Didn't they mention Irak in this episode? Or did I just imagine it?
Old 2018-07-07, 11:35   Link #23
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Didn't they mention Irak in this episode? Or did I just imagine it?
Nope they Mentioned it. plus that architecture is more iraq that afghanistan one
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-08, 06:53   Link #24
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
IIRC. Press releases mention that the modern setting is in the Iraq War.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-08, 12:09   Link #25
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

That was an amazing premiere, head and shoulders above everything else thus far. Its gonna be hard to top that.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-08, 13:50   Link #26
Alchemist007
*Author

I sort of wish it had stayed with an 80s vibe (since that's when the manga started), but nonetheless it looks interesting and I will keep watching.
Old 2018-07-12, 15:24   Link #27
Nivek von Beldo

This series is action packed...but too gay for my taste...still watching it for he time being.

Love the gross realism, Eiji was able to jump but got injured for it and how Ash creativity the whole way.

The Black Guy always die first.

This series is so real and so cartoony yet work so well.hope next chapter is an insane as this one..and less Gay(that is not possible)
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-12, 16:32   Link #28
drawr

Ash's life is so suffering. The whole interrogation segment with the corrupt officer's tactics to get a confession left me really upset. A good sign to be handling the heavy subject matter well from the onset though.

Last edited by drawr; 2018-07-12 at 16:45.
drawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-12, 17:36   Link #29
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Things are progressing really fast. Skipper died and Ash was framed for Marvin's murder and is going to prison with a giant target painted on his back. I guess he'll have to count on that Max guy to survive. I'll be surprised if he doesn't get raped though.
Old 2018-07-12, 17:46   Link #30
G0rd0

man im really glad i decided to watch this im really loving the op song anybody else
G0rd0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-12, 20:08   Link #31
Wandering Soul

That corrupt cop really was terrible. Playing Ash's past like that to get a confession was low. Skipper is dead and now Ash is in an even worse situation then he was in before.
Old 2018-07-13, 08:37   Link #32
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Ok while these were two fantastic episodes... it's really uncomfortable to watch at times.

Maybe it's just me, and hopefully I don't offend anybody, but this story feels uncomfortably sexist (homophobic?) and possibly even a bit too racist?

The second episode felt like it went pretty overboard and possibly even stereotypical with all the homosexuality it used. Homoerotic flirting between characters on opposing fronts, a fat gay pedophile rapist, cops laughing off pedophilia home videos, crybaby effeminate deuteragonist that looks puppyloved on the protagonist, all the state prison inmates want to sodomize him, etc.

I don't know. Maybe using "-ist" adjectives is not the correct term to use. A part of me believes that this probably just reflects attitudes back in the era the original was made, but it kind of feels like the author unecessarily and/or excessively highlights some possibly biased impressions of certain populations here.

(FWIW I'm a straight Asian male.)
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-13, 10:21   Link #33
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
While some of the depictions have been amped up to 11, that fact of the matter is that even today most of this stuff still goes on.

There are documented cases of police officers using various scare and other tactics to coerce someone to confess to a crime they didn't commit. That's one of the reasons why the Innocence Project exists, https://www.innocenceproject.org/cau...ns-admissions/.

In the type of environment that Ash and crew run around in (hell even in just the general populace), there's still rampant homophobia, sexism, and racism. These aren't just the attitudes of a by gone era. Most people especially in the general populace are just less open about it.

Prison rape and sexual assault still happens, although perhaps not at the rate some people may believe, and it's sadly become more of a joke in our society then an actual concern.
http://www.femifesto.ca/debunking-my...t-prison-rape/
https://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=131113&page=1
https://rewire.news/article/2018/01/...g-isnt-option/

I do agree that I wish that some of the bad guys felt less like Snidely Whiplash type villians. I also call bs on the lack of tattoo's (j/k...mostly)
Old 2018-07-13, 11:07   Link #34
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I know. I'm just pointing out the feeling that they're focusing too much on things that are more exceptions than the rules.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-13, 11:19   Link #35
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, and hopefully I don't offend anybody, but this story feels uncomfortably sexist (homophobic?) and possibly even a bit too racist?
the story was written during the 1980s, before the SJW dominated the world.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-13, 11:49   Link #36
Cloudedmind

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I know. I'm just pointing out the feeling that they're focusing too much on things that are more exceptions than the rules.
And I guess my point is that these things aren't actually exceptions.
Old 2018-07-13, 11:59   Link #37
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
And I guess my point is that these things aren't actually exceptions.
It is more of a questiopn of "where".

These things are more common in the dark side of inner city of Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, New York, and more phobic (or even hateful) southern cities.

But once you turn to more peaceful suburbs, things like this don't happen much.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-13, 12:30   Link #38
Cloudedmind

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
It is more of a questiopn of "where".

These things are more common in the dark side of inner city of Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, New York, and more phobic (or even hateful) southern cities.

But once you turn to more peaceful suburbs, things like this don't happen much.
I was actually about to come back, and update my comment to clarify exactly this. So, thanks for that! But yes, I agree where you live does make a difference. You are more likely to see many of these types of things happening more openly in densely populated urban cities, especially the poorer areas of cities like these. But this stuff happens in the suburbs as well. It's just more covert. That's partly what the movie Get Out is about (more so in relation to racism), which takes place in suburban America.
Old 2018-07-13, 17:20   Link #39
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

So, how many laws did that interrogation break? (Not that it matters, I suppose, since it's a cop breaking them...) Especially considering Ash's a minor.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-13, 20:22   Link #40
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
So, how many laws did that interrogation break? (Not that it matters, I suppose, since it's a cop breaking them...) Especially considering Ash's a minor.
Don't know about specific laws, but just a few things wrong:
-I'm pretty sure you can't cause that kind of emotional and psychological distress to a minor.
-The Police still don't have any hard evidence he didn't since having a motive doesn't automatically mean you did the crime.
-Assuming not every cop in that precinct is corrupt and no one tampered with the evidence, someone should notice that gun is clean of Ash's DNA.
-Pretty sure you can't immediately convict a minor and send to them a state prison of all places just because the defense didn't show up.

In the end I guess you just have to hand wave all these away with the explanation "Dino's just that powerful".

Tags
action