AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > True Tears

Notices

Old 2008-01-29, 08:24   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

True Tears - Voice Actor Appreciation & Discussion

The purpose of this thread is to discuss, critique and idolize the Voice Actor cast of True Tears. Please remember that the discussion should center on their performances as professional voice actors and not on the show content (which can be discussed in the various Episode threads). Please remember this simple rule when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • - Don't take it personally.
    In other words, you’re free to disagree with another person’s opinion, but don’t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.

• - Voice Actors are humans.
    Yes, it’s true. They’re human. Therefore, don’t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they’re inorganic objects. You don’t have to praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.
This thread might duplicate some discussion in the Episode threads, but it can also serve to demystify various VA roles, disseminate VA information (VA Bios, VA photos, etc) and provide cast information of various types as well as discussion about performances.
Old 2008-01-29, 09:40   Link #2
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Here's the cast list for the main characters of True Tears. Credits to ANN. All infos are meant as "cast in" (not "staff in").

Takagaki Ayahi as Isurugi Noe

Spoiler:

Nazuka Kaori as Yuasa Hiromi

Spoiler:

Ishii Makoto as Nakagami Shinichiro

Spoiler:

Yuka Iguchi as Aiko Ando

Spoiler:

Yoshino Hiroyuki as Miyokichi Nobuse

Spoiler:

Masuda Yuuki as Isurugi Jun

Spoiler:

Watanabe Tomomi as Kurobe Tomoyo

Spoiler:

Fujiwara Keiji as Shinichiro's Father

Spoiler:

Takahashi Rieko as Shinichiro's Mother

Spoiler:

Last edited by Pellissier; 2008-01-29 at 14:42.
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 10:00   Link #3
aardvark

The voice cast in this show is pretty terrific, and honestly partly why I started watching it when it began. Kaori Nazuka is one of my favorite VAs actually, and she's as great here as she usually is.

But the one VA who stands out in the show imo is Yuka Iguchi (Aiko). I thought she was really awesome in Xenoglossia (whether you liked the show or not) and she carries that same really energetic and immensely likeable aura that she had in that show into this one...

Noe's VA is kind of similar I think, but she doesn't have the presence Iguchi has, though she's not bad at all either (She's definitely showing more range than with Felt Grace in Gundam 00, that's for sure )
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 10:04   Link #4
Westlo
Lets be reality

Until this month at least I wasn't really a fan of Kaori Nazuka, maybe it's because I can't stand Eureka from E7 but whatever. I started to change my mind about her from hearing her Chole in Spice and Wolf but she's really winning me over with her role here as Hiromi thus far.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 10:13   Link #5
aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Until this month at least I wasn't really a fan of Kaori Nazuka, maybe it's because I can't stand Eureka from E7 but whatever. I started to change my mind about her from hearing her Chole in Spice and Wolf but she's really winning me over with her role here as Hiromi thus far.
Eureka is probably her best, most significant role imo, if only for the sheer amount of heartfelt emotional diversity she showed there and ability to adapt with the character. Yun from Simoun in a close second as it that was pretty different from a lot of what she's done and one of the highlights from that show.

So far, her role in this show is probably her best role since Yun I think. She hasn't done much remarkable stuff since Simoun (she's totally wasted on Geass among other shows), so I'm glad to see her doing something worthwhile again.
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 10:19   Link #6
Westlo
Lets be reality

I just can't stand Renton and Eureka in E7 while I love the supporting cast *sigh* Yeah her highlight for her Geass character was her cat meow in episode 6 lol.. I'm hoping they make her character more significant in the second season.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 15:00   Link #7
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
Eureka is probably her best, most significant role imo, if only for the sheer amount of heartfelt emotional diversity she showed there and ability to adapt with the character. Yun from Simoun in a close second as it that was pretty different from a lot of what she's done and one of the highlights from that show. So far, her role in this show is probably her best role since Yun I think. She hasn't done much remarkable stuff since Simoun (she's totally wasted on Geass among other shows), so I'm glad to see her doing something worthwhile again.
I agree about Yun in Simoun, of course. When that show was on, a lot of people considered Yun their favorite character. Her climactic scene in the grotto was outstanding.

I think the reason she seems to have not done much since then is because she spent all of 2007 playing Cossette in Les Miserables (52 episodes), which not many people have seen. I've only seen part of it myself, and I wasn't entranced at the beginning, when Cossette was little, but was more impressed by the middle episodes I've seen.

Eureka7 was certainly her most significant role, but it wasn't a show I loved, so I didn't watch a lot of it. I didn't much like Code Geass, either, although I watched it all. I thought Kaori made Nunnally who she should be. I thought she was very good in a supporting role in Code-E, which needed the support, lol. It was one of those situations where her voice was like a bright light in a dim room.

In this show, she does great, and Iguchi Yuka does well, but it's Takagaki Ayahi that really bowls me over.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 15:04   Link #8
nanaman
Musician guy

I like the voice cast in this series alot! They surely have put some great work into this series. My favourite VA character in this series must be Aiko played by Yuka Iguchi. Her acting was superb in the latest episode (the 4th one that is). Full of expression and feelings.
nanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 15:19   Link #9
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Yes, same here. She has that cute serious style I like. Not many like her. Nobuse's seyuu would be next up on my list, it's just ~umm.. easy to listen to him, there's no tension or stress in the voice, pretty rare for a support character.

Hm. Now who to pick for third?.. * thinks ... * thinks harder
I'll just leave it at two. Can't think of anything particularly good or bad of the rest. They're all pretty good.
Old 2008-01-29, 16:04   Link #10
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

It's so interesting how we each get different impressions. I have trouble listening to Nobuse -- too much undirected energy, not relaxed at all, for me. But his VA, Yoshino Hiroyuki, comes with a great pedigree: Zedd, Kai, Peter Pumps, Allelujah Haptism, etc. This role, though, reminds me of how he annoyed me as Yuuji in Tona-Gura. But he's easy to look at:

YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2008-01-29, 19:14   Link #11
Falkor

I think I'm part of the minority who loved Nazuka Kaori's role as Eureka. Probably that’s one of the reasons why I can easily like Hiromi more than the other girls.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 23:11   Link #12
Wavedash
Mayo on everything

I don't think you're in the minority. Eureka Seven had a lot of good things about it...unfortunately coherent storyline and consistent character growth weren't any of them. Still, the actors were outstanding. It got to the point where I would half sleep through an episode only to sit up every time Ami came on or Kaori got to act out.
Wavedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 01:12   Link #13
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedash View Post
I don't think you're in the minority. Eureka Seven had a lot of good things about it....
No, far from the minority. And I'm not saying it was poor, just that I didn't take to it at the time. I plan to go back and check it out again someday, particularly since I can appreciate voice-acting somewhat better than I could then.
Old 2008-02-10, 18:00   Link #14
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I figure that if I wait over a week, double-posting doesn't count, right?

Anyway, I just noticed the banner on the True Tears radio page and thought it would be of more interest here than in the image thread:

Those are Nazuka kaori (Hiromi), Takagaki Ayahi (Noe) and Iguchi Yuka (Ai), left to right. You can hear their most recent True Tears radio program from that page by clicking on (or downloading the .asf file that is behind the .asx file) the grey lozenge near the bottom centre of the page.

And I did watch the rest of Eureka Seven (see previous post) and enjoyed it, for the voice-acting, the story, and the characters. Not as good as this show, but good in another way.
Old 2008-02-10, 18:56   Link #15
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

kinda shocking that Felt from 00 is Noe... i guess i can hear it now that i think about it.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-11, 16:02   Link #16
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I just posted over in the Shinichiro's Mother thread, and I thought I'd say a bit about the great Takahashi Rieko, who voices her so well. She just rivets your attention -- for better or worse -- whenever she speaks.

As most of you know, she was Queen Dianna Soreil in Turn A Gundam, and Neviril in Simoun.

Takahashi-san is basically a stage actress with Theatre Group En, and has appeared in over 25 plays, according to ja.Wikipedia. She also does quite a bit of dubbing. She's 40. Here are a couple of pics, one from a stage performance:

Old 2008-02-25, 15:20   Link #17
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I've made a blog post around a YouTube video showing Iguchi Yuka, Takagaki Ayahi, Nazuka Kaori, and Nishimura Junji visiting the settings used in the anime, in Nanto, Toyama Prefecture.
Old 2008-02-26, 23:13   Link #18
Aurelia aurita
???

I read a post on j1m0ne's blog last week about how Takagaki Ayahi likes opera. I'm not much of a seiyuu person, but I found that really interesting and amusing.
She sounds pretty good in that video too.
Aurelia aurita is offline   Reply With Quote