Old 2012-01-25, 10:19   Link #981
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyriaL View Post
The OST is actually already out.
Oh wow it is !

Well looks like I've already got one of my nominees for best OST in the next animesuki anime awards.
Old 2012-01-25, 16:35   Link #982
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I was very disappointed when I found out it was a recap, but the omakes scenes were so much fun I forgive them.

My favorite omake was the one about the new year's money. Chitose is such a bitch... but she's not all bad, I guess. I'm delighted Kana is so popular among the club members. I burst out laughing when even Chihaya chose her
Speaking of, I was rather surprised that Tsutomu and Nikkuman were that serious about her.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 16:56   Link #983
Dop
Mmmm....

Now THAT is how you do a recap episode.

Loved Nikkuman's tsundere t-shirt printing sister stalking Tsutomu.

And it just goes to show, everybody loves Kana!

Funniest thing I've seen all week.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 17:05   Link #984
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Speaking of, I was rather surprised that Tsutomu and Nikkuman were that serious about her.
I don't think Nikuman is that serious, but Tsutomu definitely is. She's perfect for him - she's smart, she's hot, and he can kiss her without standing on a chair.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 17:08   Link #985
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Yeah, but even if he (Nikuman)'s not head over heels, it's more than I expected. I knew he thought she was cute (how could he not?), but I didn't think he'd actually thought of her in dating terms.
Old 2012-01-25, 17:25   Link #986
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
You know, come to think of it, one of the nicest things about ep 16 was seeing more of Kana. She still remains my absolute fave of the characters in the series.

I still love that scene when she looks in through the glass at the karuta club and a card bounces off the glass in slow motion.
Old 2012-01-25, 19:35   Link #987
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Oh wow it is !

Well looks like I've already got one of my nominees for best OST in the next animesuki anime awards.
well it definitely will be in the running, its one of the very few OST albums where I can listen to the entire soundtrack without the need for skipping tracks. The orchestra feeling at certain parts are, awesome.

Back to topic anyway, from the first scene of the episode I thought at least Chitose will take the lead in the episode, but boy was I wrong.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 23:07   Link #988
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Very great re-cap and every one once Kanade
Old 2012-01-26, 21:22   Link #989
abc0716

Spoiler for Episode 16:
abc0716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 14:02   Link #990
sikvod00

A quick comment/rant about the intro to ep. 17: Obviously they wanted to show that the karuta club is extra special and has some unconventional talent, but that was stretching it to me. Beating the track club at RUNNING??? Sure, the track team may have won if one of the members didn't magically drop the baton, but it shouldn't have even been that close from the beginning. The event was tailor made for them to win with ease, and they failed! Disband NOW!! I don't care how fast Chihaya and Porky are, that's pushing it for me. Suspension of disbelief makes sense when it's related to karuta (spider senses and purple auras). Oh, well. Let me finish watching the episode. Crunchyroll streams are slow on a campus network, so thought I'd rant a lil...

Edit 2: Everyone's reaction to Taichi nonchalantly agreeing to break up over the phone was hilarious (the gf initiated, so don't feel that bad). They're all horrible at attracting the opposite sex, eh? Just more evidence that the Kana x Desktomu pairing makes sense. They're both such cute juniors.

Last edited by sikvod00; 2012-01-31 at 14:36.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 15:35   Link #991
Undertaker

I actually don't have much problem with that.

The one thing you forgot was that that in addition to Porky, both Taichi and Kanade were formally from athletic clubs. (granted Kanade was from Archery Club) So it's not like they are all noobs when it comes to sports. Chihaya was a prefecture-level sprinter, Porky was a promising Tennis player, Taichi is in socceer club. That's plenty of speed right there. Adding a so-so Kanade, the only hole they have is Tsutomu. With track team down, it's not a stretch that it become a open field.

I haven't seen this week's episode yet but in manga:

Spoiler for Manga difference:

Personally, I have more problem with the Chunchyroll's translation of the four-character idioms last episode where there were 2 of them that were completely off in their translation...
Old 2012-01-31, 15:52   Link #992
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
I haven't seen this week's episode yet but in manga:

Spoiler for Manga difference:
Actually, those problems are in the episode. The event announcer mentions them during the race.

I'm another person who wasn't bothered by their showing at the fall festival's race. As Undertaker pointed out, Chihaya has a history with track on a regional level. We know from Nishida's introductory episode and the training episode that he's faster than Chihaya. Taichi excels at soccer. Only Desk-kun and Kanade don't have much running experience from other sports. Furthermore, all of them have been running through the summer break. It's reasonable to expect them to do well especially when the other teams fumbled their "baton" passes.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 16:15   Link #993
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Personally, I have more problem with the Chunchyroll's translation of the four-character idioms last episode where there were 2 of them that were completely off in their translation...
Please explain!

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 16:17   Link #994
sikvod00

I get what you two are saying, and I didn't forget that Chihaya excels at running and was in track at one point. However it still irked me that a club dedicated to running didn't win at a running competition... That's all they do all the time, regardless if the karuta club made time to practice during the summer. But that's a trivial complaint, even though it sounded a rant in my post. Just killing time while my stream loaded (dorm networks suck at streaming for some reason).

Overall, this episode was rather slow-paced and focused more on revealing the individual players' weaknesses and finding remedies. The thing I like best about team sports is that everyone knows the other member's faults, and can help them fix it. Sometimes you need someone else's perspective in order to improve. Taichi doesn't have a gf anymore, so I think he was beating himself up too much over trying to get Chihaya to come with to that tournament. That's nothing I'd really call "sneaky". It's strategy, bro.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 17:20   Link #995
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It was incredibly stupid to have each club use a piece of their equipment as a baton. Not to mention that gave an unfair disadvantage to some, it's obvious that somebody carrying a card is faster than somebody carrying a goddamn baseball bat. Why would the baseball club choose to run carrying a baseball bat rather than a ball anyway?

Ah well, whatever.

I loved the rest of the episode, particularly Kana-chan's explanation of the poems. Karuta is truly a wonderful game, being at the same time poetic, strategic, and physically demanding. Can't think of a lot of games that fit all these criterias.

Taichi finally dumped his girlfriend without thinking twice. We can finally put that plot point to rest. Although he himself think of it as despicable, I like his sneakiness. It turns out he wasn't the only one trying to be sly too
Old 2012-01-31, 17:44   Link #996
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It was incredibly stupid to have each club use a piece of their equipment as a baton. Not to mention that gave an unfair disadvantage to some, it's obvious that somebody carrying a card is faster than somebody carrying a goddamn baseball bat. Why would the baseball club choose to run carrying a baseball bat rather than a ball anyway?
Easier to pass, maybe?

Quote:
Taichi finally dumped his girlfriend without thinking twice. We can finally put that plot point to rest. Although he himself think of it as despicable, I like his sneakiness. It turns out he wasn't the only one trying to be sly too
Meh. His problem is that he isn't sly enough.
Old 2012-01-31, 20:28   Link #997
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

I loled when the Karuta club actually won the race. Totally forgot Taichi had a girlfriend, but it was hilarious how easy he dumped her and didn't think about it. Enjoyed the clap exercise while she was sleeping on the train. Nice sneaky move by him and Nishida to try and get into A class, to bad it didn't work. Wow Chihaya without her speed really is nothing. Glad she can learn something from even Kana and Desktomu.
Old 2012-01-31, 20:52   Link #998
Qilin
Romanticist

That's a really indifferent way of breaking up with someone.

In other news, it seems Chihaya is still struggling to overcome her much mentioned weakness, related to multi-syllabic cards, and Taichi is determinedly clawing himself up, so he can finally compete at Arata's level (also, reaffirming that his family is indeed a wealthy one).

Another thing of note is that Taichi still seems to be as hesitant as ever in acting on his feelings towards Chihaya. I wonder if he feels that he has to beat Arata in Karuta before he feels worthy of Chihaya's affection (rampant speculation ahoy!).

But importantly, I'm glad that Tsukue-kun finally managed to stand out as a club member. As realistic as it is, his tendency for self-pity was getting a little irritating, so yeah. It's good he finally has something unique that he can contribute to the team.
Old 2012-01-31, 21:22   Link #999
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

I cracked up at Taichi's break-up phone call. Between not missing a beat in his speech to the Karuta club, and waking Chihaya up later with her own training, the man is a superstar.

Chihaya's reckless play style reminds me of the Desktomu recruitment episode when they played with the cards face down, and Taichi stomped her. I'm glad they're calling back to her deficiencies, because it gives her believable avenues for growth after the tournaments made her look almost unbeatable to anyone less than the queen. Her attempts to double-down on her strengths without addressing her weaknesses, and subsequent failure gives me renewed hope that she's realized that she needs to turn things around. Of particular note is that she pledges to take instruction specifically from Kana and Desktomu; her own supposed proteges.

This episode had some phenomenal reaction shots.

Spoiler for Worst. Barbershop Quartet. Ever.:
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 22:05   Link #1000
Kirarakim

So was Taichi breaking up with his girlfriend in the manga too? You have to wonder why the manga-ka even introduced the character in the 1st place.

So it looks like the rivals have officially switched to Chiyaya/The Queen & Taichi/Arata (but I like that Nishida is fighting for A too).

I like that Tsutomu & Kana got to show their strengths in this episode (Kana is still the character I can relate to the most. I love what she said about Karuta being a game that men & women can play together on equal terms).

And I didn't notice Kana's chest at all before the recap/Omake episode now I see she is um well developed there. It's like until someone points out something to me I am oblivious.

I am seriously getting depressed that the series is ending soon.

Tags
josei, karuta, madhouse