AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-28, 03:15   Link #321
Darial
Otaku in disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
So...if you find a "quiet" Japanese girl, is there a better than 50/50 chance of them not really being...?
I'm married to one and I can tell you that the quiet part is definite an act. If you ever get a chance, observe two or more Japanese girls in conversation with each other. The speed, tempo, and length of the conversation will definitely show you they are as talkative as any other women out there if not more so.
Old 2008-06-28, 04:07   Link #322
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongs View Post
I 'ts not Quite Similar but. From Ozma Quote We know that Somehow there is Relation between Ranka and Dr. Mao oops Mao
It seems Ranka has a similar PSI like ability as Sara. M-Frontier E12 22:07 vs M-Zero E01 24:17
Old 2008-07-02, 15:04   Link #323
cerrian

So I was rewatching ep 12 and there were a couple of things about Ranka's animation that really stood out. First is her new signature pose. Absolutely hate it. It reaks of pop idolness. Too sugary, too cute, all flash no substance. The production team did a good job in establishing the pop idol side of Ranka's character, it was well done. As far as my personal taste goes, I hate it.

The 2nd thing to stand out is when the canopy of Michael's VF pops open and you see Ranka stand up. After her wind blown hair is somewhat under control we get a scene of Ranka with her game face on where her eyes are wide open, lips drawn tight, and her hands clutching the mic. That was pure awesomeness. That 3 sec scene is something we've never seen from Ranka before. It exuded determination and her desire to sing her heart out. Here's hoping we get more of that kind of chacter development and less fluff devlopment.
Old 2008-07-02, 15:22   Link #324
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
So I was rewatching ep 12 and there were a couple of things about Ranka's animation that really stood out. First is her new signature pose. Absolutely hate it. It reaks of pop idolness. Too sugary, too cute, all flash no substance. The production team did a good job in establishing the pop idol side of Ranka's character, it was well done. As far as my personal taste goes, I hate it.

Buwahahaha! I couldn't agree more. In fact it just reminded me of the video game I was playing the other day called "IDOLMASTER: Live for you"

...I swear every single dance move in there (or at least 85% of them) were imbeded into Ranka's routine along with those sparkly stars that come out when doing her signature "Idol" pose.

My personal tastes are similar I suppose...I guess I like the fact that Sheryl has "edge"....there's no passion in Ranka's singing or her performances...she could actually be just another added character in the world of "IdolMaster" especially with her overall appearance.

But I guess there are some people who actually like that genre.

LOL, sorry I just had to throw this one in here...it was the height of pop cutesy idolness in Japan during 1978....I was only 4 years old at the time when this aired:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byNvCSGWvC0

Isn't it frightening that some Pop idols (specifically anime seiyuu idols) in Japan haven't progressed past this?

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2008-07-02, 15:26   Link #325
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:

The 2nd thing to stand out is when the canopy of Michael's VF pops open and you see Ranka stand up. After her wind blown hair is somewhat under control we get a scene of Ranka with her game face on where her eyes are wide open, lips drawn tight, and her hands clutching the mic. That was pure awesomeness. That 3 sec scene is something we've never seen from Ranka before. It exuded determination and her desire to sing her heart out. Here's hoping we get more of that kind of chacter development and less fluff devlopment.
Its no surprise that people on the Japanese boards compared Ranka to an every day pop idol. Widely popular on her first debut, will remain popular for a while, then that popularity slowly fades away as time passes due to the lack of substance, unless she can pull an Amuro or Hamasaki in between

Sheryl is compared to a rock star. She is not cute, but she definitely has substance, and is one of those enduring icons in the pop industry. So, there you have it.

Although I must admit, I love the scene where Ranka stood up in Mikhail's cockpit. That was pure gold, and pure awesomeness. She meant business, oh yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf View Post
LOL, sorry I just had to throw this one in here...it was the height of pop cutesy idolness in Japan during 1978....I was only 4 years old at the time when this aired:
Egads! I am so embarrassed to watch that now, ugh!

- Tak
Old 2008-07-02, 15:27   Link #326
Darial
Otaku in disguise

Quote:
Isn't it frightening that some Pop idols (specifically anime seiyuu idols) in Japan haven't progressed past this?
It just goes to show you some things never change.
Old 2008-07-02, 15:29   Link #327
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Its no surprise that people on the Japanese boards compared Ranka to an every day pop idol. Widely popular on her first debut, will remain popular for a while, then that popularity slowly fades away as time passes due to the lack of substance, unless she can pull an Amuro or Hamasaki in between

Sheryl is compared to a rock star. She is not cute, but she definitely has substance, and is one of those enduring icons in the pop industry. So, there you have it.

Although I must admit, I love the scene where Ranka stood up in Mikhail's cockpit. That was pure gold, and pure awesomeness. She meant business, oh yeah.

- Tak

I must visit that BBS....is that the one on the official site?

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2008-07-02, 15:38   Link #328
Tak

Quote:
I must visit that BBS....is that the one on the official site?

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Yep, the official BBS. But the discussion has shifted to more about history and technical aspects of Macross in the past couple days. I think it has something to do with the Macross in Galia 4

Quote:
Oh yeah, please don't do that again

- Tak
Old 2008-07-02, 15:46   Link #329
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Yep, the official BBS. But the discussion has shifted to more about history and technical aspects of Macross in the past couple days. I think it has something to do with the Macross in Galia 4

Oh yeah, please don't do that again

- Tak

LOL, sorry about that...you have my word though...never again LOL! Yeah I pretty much traumatized myself as well.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2008-07-02, 20:44   Link #330
stray
Classic Yandere

Quote:
The Japanese don't really have anyone you could really call a 'diva' in the sense of a Madonna or a Janet Jackson or someone, do they?

Quote:

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
At least it's not Menudo. I still wake up on Saturday mornings to flashbacks sometimes...

I love 70's hair...
Old 2008-07-02, 20:48   Link #331
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
The Japanese don't really have anyone you could really call a 'diva' in the sense of a Madonna or a Janet Jackson or someone, do they?
Oh yes they do.

Ayumi Hamasaki and Namie Amuro are the two most enduring 'divas' in the Japanese pop industry (since the mid 90s). Although Amuro's star power is fading ever since Hamasaki took the turf away from her (even though they are about the same age, Amuro is 30, Hamasaki is 29), I am surprised Amuro managed to endure as long as she did, though.

The Western media aren't very aware of them, although they are the two single most popular and most enduring icons in East Asia. I mean, its really really hard not to know them, unless you've been living under a nuke shelter.

- Tak
Old 2008-07-02, 22:57   Link #332
Aquifina

Quote:

I'm happy that other people also spotted that initial game face.

The stars stuff was preposterous, but I really found it quite endearing. Heck, the whole damn scene was preposterous--I'm not a complete stranger to the Macross universe, but I'm certainly unfamiliar enough to be potentially turned off by the idea that a concert could defuse a battle (and yes, I know there's precedent in the Macross universe--but I have a special annoyance for comically inept anime portrayals of military "stuff"). But it honestly worked for me, partly because Ranka's performance was in character: the initial explosion of determination, the dress, the cute dance, and yes, even the ludicrous stars exploding when she did that pose. Heck, she even got a blush out of Alto when she raised her hand and arm toward him in that dance move while he was watching from his fighter.
Old 2008-07-03, 00:30   Link #333
ani_d

Total win <3

Got this from Atarashii blog. It really cracked me up.
Old 2008-07-03, 01:00   Link #334
Darial
Otaku in disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
It really cracked me up.
Thanks for sharing it. I was ROTFL for a good minute. Ranka's supermove in Ep 12 was definitely pure awesomeness.
Old 2008-07-03, 18:15   Link #335
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post

Total win <3

Got this from Atarashii blog. It really cracked me up.
So MOE it hurts!!!

She has to win SeiMoe she has to!
Old 2008-07-05, 07:07   Link #336
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
Wait! That's not ickem that you're replying to! It's... a straw man?

Your argument was impressive, but it had nothing to do with what was originally posted. You took a general statement about Ranka's attitude in her everyday life and applied it out of context to a specific, but extraordinary, situation.

But this discussion really should go in the Ranka thread.
Yeah? And in the last few episodes, exactly what were the situations Ranka "should have been able to deal with on her own"?

I won't deny that Ranka often relies on her friends for advice and support. Why not, if she has them? It doesn't make her weak, it just makes her not-a-loner. Admittedly, she's still emotionally needy. So's Luka. And Michel's occasionally a jerk and a playboy. And Alto's a jerk and a hothead. And Sheryl's pushy and arrogant. They all have their flaws. Some of them are even growing somewhat out of them.

I won't deny either that at the start of the series, Ranka was pretty helpless and timid. That's because Macross Frontier is, among other things, the story of her growth. How, little by little, she learns to deal with her fears and insecurities. Ep12 was a turning point. Instead of damsel in distress, she became the heroine. To paraphrase Sheryl, she did what she could. So what if what she can do doesn't include fighting or piloting?

I know she's a far cry from Sheryl's confidence and decisiveness. Not everyone can be born that way. For all we know, Sheryl wasn't born that way. That doesn't make Ranka worthless.
Old 2008-07-05, 07:38   Link #337
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Personally, I'd rather not see Ranka 'grow up' other than merely adapting. I think even her stage presence comes from that innocence rather than being a headstrong diva necessarily (wait, that was incredibly paradoxical, but whatever).

But yeah, I think leaning on others for support is an asset as long as you don't abuse it. And since we're talking about an intergalactic war here, if Ranka's friends are put in danger through all this, I don't think you can blame her alone here, if at all.

Another antithesis of Ranka in regards to Sheryl is that Sheryl is not a loner on the outside (Galactic Fairy, millions of fans, heavy support structure) while she STRIVES to become a loner and tries to do things herself. With Ranka, nobody can really delve into her trauma, her shyness (I can totally understand shyness. It's an uncontrollable personality quirk and yet some people think you control that kind of innate shyness) and her loneliness from losing her biological family. And yet she strives for that connection outward. It's strange, but if you believe you're too weak to do something and lean on others for support, there's a weird sense of self reliance from that act.
Old 2008-07-05, 07:42   Link #338
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Well, I'd certainly be disappointed if she became a second Sheryl too. But, though it'd be nice if she could keep her humility, she needs to gain some professional confidence. She can't spend hours wondering if she can do a job every time some opportunity comes up.

As for Sheryl not being lonely, to paraphrase Stalin, the support of one person is a blessing. The support of millions is a statistic. It's true she's successful and popular. But she has few true friends. That "pause" she's taking at Frontier is probably the first opportunity to cultivate some she's had in years.
Old 2008-07-05, 08:42   Link #339
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yeah? And in the last few episodes, exactly what were the situations Ranka "should have been able to deal with on her own"?
Well, I can't speak for ickem, but we saw a number of examples in episode eleven. She probably doesn't really need Nanase to tell her to get Alto a birthday present, or to remind her to call him to make plans, or to give her instructions on how to make her gift. Episode twelve may have been a big step for Ranka, but she still reverted back to relating with Alto in terms of "he's pretty and does nice things for me", which probably does little to change how people think of her. But these things take time, both for the character and for the viewers.

I don't dislike Ranka, though. I only intervened because I felt that you set up your argument in a manner that was rather unfair to the person whom you quoted. Had he claimed in his post that Ranka should have escaped from the Vajra nest on her own using nothing but her bare hands, then you wouldn't have even needed to point out that the statement was absurd in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
They all have their flaws. Some of them are even growing somewhat out of them.
The true test of your love for someone is not that you like them for their strengths, but rather, that you like them for their weaknesses.

Don't get me wrong. Sheryl has far more flaws, by comparison. I just happen to love her for them.
Old 2008-07-05, 09:58   Link #340
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
Well, I can't speak for ickem, but we saw a number of examples in episode eleven. She probably doesn't really need Nanase to tell her to get Alto a birthday present, or to remind her to call him to make plans,
And she didn't. Nanase just mentioned it to make sure, but Ranka had decided to do all that anyway.

Quote:
or to give her instructions on how to make her gift.
Well, yes, she could have opened a cookbook. I don't see how asking for help from an actual human being instead makes her less as a person, though. Seriously, she was bad enough with Nanase helping her. It'd have been worse if all she had was a book. Or maybe she should have invented her own recipe?

Quote:
Episode twelve may have been a big step for Ranka, but she still reverted back to relating with Alto in terms of "he's pretty and does nice things for me", which probably does little to change how people think of her.
Yes, as I said, she's growing little by little. It also underline one of her differences with Sheryl: she isn't shy about being grateful. Or acknowledging her faults.

Quote:
But these things take time, both for the character and for the viewers.

I don't dislike Ranka, though. I only intervened because I felt that you set up your argument in a manner that was rather unfair to the person whom you quoted. Had he claimed in his post that Ranka should have escaped from the Vajra nest on her own using nothing but her bare hands, then you wouldn't have even needed to point out that the statement was absurd in the first place.
And I felt that he was:
- denying the growth Ranka's undergone since the show started
- holding her to impossible standards, since the only times she "waited to be rescued" were situations where she was understandably helpless. (Inability to fly or to fight giant bugs.)

Quote:
The true test of your love for someone is not that you like them for their strengths, but rather, that you like them for their weaknesses.

Don't get me wrong. Sheryl has far more flaws, by comparison. I just happen to love her for them.
It's not about loving or hating the characters. It's about being fair.
Closed Thread