AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-02-11, 19:21   Link #461
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Thanks! I'd like to adopt the right-hand one if you don't mind.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 19:34   Link #462
Kirarakim

About Kana being a reader, although she is only in C class now she has gotten a lot stronger. It's also nice to know that she has to continue to get stronger to pursue her dream.

And for us it's nice because I don't want to see her character forgotten. Now just to push Tsutomou forward. I really hope they have not shown his match because he is winning.
Old 2013-02-11, 21:14   Link #463
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I don't think the message is "we really like Karuta" from that speech (I mean that is in every episode) but more that look this is a sport that everyone can share and its a sport that we can pass down our cultural & historical heritage.

I am not saying that makes Karuta better than any other sport but the combining of sport & culture it is something special about it, don't you think?

Edit: Taking out most of my comments about Hikaru no Go and Go in general since I think they could veer us too off topic. Just want to say while I love both Hikaru no Go and Chihayafuru and think both series do have their strengths and weaknesses, for me one thing I like more about Chihayafuru is it has a strong presence of both men and women players and young and old players.

Hikaru no Go did do well with the young and old players, but I feel it was lacking in the female character dept. And well there are female players in Japan, so adding someone more prominent wouldn't have been unrealistic http://www.anusha.com/gogirls.htm.
It's also worth pointing out that HnG was a shounen, published in Shounen Jump. Chihayafuru may have shounen impulses, but it's considered either a josei or shoujou depending on who you talk to, and thus has a little more freedom as to the gender mix of the cast.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 08:32   Link #464
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It's also worth pointing out that HnG was a shounen, published in Shounen Jump. Chihayafuru may have shounen impulses, but it's considered either a josei or shoujou depending on who you talk to, and thus has a little more freedom as to the gender mix of the cast.
I agree the issue is it is probably a shounen manga and that gender diversity might not have been important to the readership.

But Chihayafuru is definitely josei. I think those who call it shoujo think the demographic depends on the content which it does not. The series is published in Be Love, a Josei magazine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Be-Love
Old 2013-02-12, 21:48   Link #465
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's funny because while I don't care that much for genre classifications, I actually think content matters more than source. But as for Chihayafuru I agree it's more josei than anything, though it sort of transcends the debate.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-13, 01:48   Link #466
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

I got the first season around a week ago and finished watching it 2 days ago. I also shouldn't have probably started s2 yet but I can't help myself.

now i'll have to wait 2 days 10 hours and 5 minutes (or even longer) for the next episode.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 16:17   Link #467
Yume Hanabi

That match was so intense, I'm still shaking...
Old 2013-02-15, 16:58   Link #468
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was the most intense and fun team match in the whole series. Gah, they were SO ClOSE. They did very well given the unfavorable situation they ended up in. I should have known they would lose since if I remember correctly, the rules were different last year (only the winner went to the national as opposed to the two top team, the author was clearly setting Mizusawa up for a loss) but every part of me wanted to believe they would win. Hopefully, they'll get their revenge during the nationals.

I was very pleased Kana and Tsutomu almost won their match as well (in fact, one of them did win, we just don't know who). They should be able to advance to B class soon. I hadn't realized Tsutomu's opponent was the same as last year. Good way to showcase his progress.

As for the after match stuff. Harada-sensei got five new members, the Tsukuba brothers + Sumire, who has already come around.

Arata contacted Chihaya and Taichi made the face he always makes everytime he hears Arata's name. It never fails to make me laugh. Geez, relax, it's not the end of the world. I wonder if he's ever going to be comfortable when it relates to Arata.
Old 2013-02-15, 17:07   Link #469
kitten320

Great episode and nice new soundtracks, at least don't remember hearing it before.

It was one of those times when I actually wanted for main cast to win. However, can't say I'm disappointed that they didn't. It makes series more believable besides they did give a good fight.

Why can't episodes come faster!
Old 2013-02-15, 17:11   Link #470
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Great episode and nice new soundtracks, at least don't remember hearing it before.
I'm pretty sure that the upbeat track that played when the tide turned and the team was making its comeback was a new track.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 17:32   Link #471
Yume Hanabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I was very pleased Kana and Tsutomu almost won their match as well (in fact, one of them did win, we just don't know who).
Kana did, and I'm sooo happy about it, she needed to win against that creepy dude.

Taichi did get to say "Mizusawa first win!". I love how he managed to turn the tables on a kind of face-off that has so much significance to him.

And Chihaya! She's so mature now, it's amazing.

Glad we got a bit about Tsutomu, too. Hope to see more of him later.

Hyped for the next tournament!
Old 2013-02-15, 17:43   Link #472
Blaat

Was anyone else thinking 'newtype' when a field of stars was overlapping Chihaya near the end of the match?

And yes the match it self was very intense, and always the time flew just by. I really think it's time for a Star Trek away team to investigate this temporal anomaly.

Also I really love the ending song, it seems to perfectly fit with the final moment of the episode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I was very pleased Kana and Tsutomu almost won their match as well (in fact, one of them did win, we just don't know who). They should be able to advance to B class soon. I hadn't realized Tsutomu's opponent was the same as last year. Good way to showcase his progress.
It was Kana that won (you can see her taking the card).
Old 2013-02-15, 17:54   Link #473
Qilin
Romanticist

Here we have another earnest, heartfelt episode. Once again, it's a long-running commentary of luck vs. hard work. Not that I mind, in fact, it was maybe Amakasu's development that stood out to me in the episode. It was nice to see him with renewed vigor.

Oh, and cheers for Shiranami society's new members. With hope, we might see them become much more competent before long.
Old 2013-02-15, 18:43   Link #474
inisipis

I was kinda expecting that Misuzawa losing their fight with Hokuo, the idea of two teams going to the tournament sorta hints at it, especially with so much emotional stake Retro has in taking their title back. Though I wasn't expecting it to be too close a battle and with Chihaya losing, especially when she's in her super-saiyan mode. It was all too close.

Great idea of using the same situation on which Yusei got his A rank at the final draw, being the first to loose the crucial match and the one with the most experience, he was able to expound to us viewers the danger to his team by the tactic of Hokuo is using with their shifting of cards.

Excellent match, great episode.
inisipis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 19:54   Link #475
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Oh man it came down to that kind of situation. They even caught a break thanks to Taichi. Man it was so close at the end. Good thing both teams make it though. Lol Harada did in fact get new members, maybe even 5.
Old 2013-02-15, 19:57   Link #476
mistress_kisara

Amazing episode! I was at the edge of my seat! I hope they make it far in the nationals! And also Taichi needs to make it to A-class soon! ^_^
mistress_kisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 21:22   Link #477
kitten320

I think what made their lose unique was the fact Chihaya aka MC has lost. Whole team losing might have been predictable but her lose not so much.

Besides she lost in a very adult way. If I were her, I would probably say that I was first heh:

Still long way for me
Old 2013-02-15, 22:07   Link #478
garbage

wonderful arc ending and match.
loved that Taichi win. he looks to be calming down a bit , although he still... grimaces whenever Chihaya mentions Arata, but i kinda understand this, I mean the way Chihaya lights up, whenever mentioning Arata...still with his developments I see him getting A class very soon.

great Kana win ^^, it was a very very quick flash of the three matches before it settled on Chihaya's, but you can see there kana won, tsutomo didn't,too bad oh well, understandable though since it was on the opponents side. Hokuo DID get the luck of the draw 2 vs 1, with Amakasu & Tsutomu's opponent getting their "home side " cards, while Kana got the split. ( which means taichi would have gotten a "home side " card too then, but I'm not taking anything from his earlier win since that boosted all the others morale going into the final read ) They would have won if it's the other card that was read.
Old 2013-02-15, 22:32   Link #479
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

What a nice ending to this arc, although it ends in a Misuzawa team loss. Chihaya having the most fun yet having the most difficult loss shows the her growth from the beginning. She was able further clarify her path to greatness in learning more of what she needs to do to hone the specific skills to get her there. We knew that she was a true competitor. Now she needs the experience to put those things together.

This show never fails to deliver the goods.
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 22:42   Link #480
Kirarakim

I think the whole concept of having fun even though you lost is a beautiful concept.

A really great intense episode, even though Misuzawa lost, I think Houko realized what worthy opponents they were.

And though Retro lost his game, I think he showed his team that it's important to not always take the easy way out. Houko had a great game against a worthy opponent with both teams having to give their all because of Retro's decision.

Tags
cards, josei, karuta, sports