AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-01-03, 03:43   Link #1
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Gekkou (Light Novel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baka-Tsuki
Gekkou (月光 "Moonlight") is a light novel written by Natsuki Mamiya and illustrated by Shiromiso.

Gekkou, or "Moonlight", is about the peculiar relationship between a cynical boy and a perfect girl.

Said cynical boy is Nonomiya who spends day in day out in boredom, taking refuge from his dull life in his imagination. One fateful day, he happens upon the notebook of the much-rumored beauty Youko Tsukimori, neglected on the ground. Poking out from it is a scrap of paper with the unexpected title "Murder Recipe". His interest ignited, he immediately stuffs it into his pocket, only to find out the promising recipe contains nothing but scenarios that may or may not lead to deadly accidents, not even worthy of being called a plan.

When he tentatively asks her about it the next day, she hasn't lost anything. But then her father dies. An accident...
Just finished reading this gem on Baka-Tsuki, and immediately looked for a thread here. I can't believe there isn't one, either! At least, not that I could find. So, to bring attention to this wonderful LN, I thought I'd make the thread myself. I don't usually make threads, so I hope I didn't break some convention.

It's a fantastic read. The mystery itself was good, but it was presented in such an interesting way and the characters were so engaging to me that I couldn't help but read the entire thing in one sitting. I wish I could find more books like this more often.

It's one novel and it's completely translated, so it's not a huge time investment. I finished the whole thing in around 3-4 hours. It was definitely worth it. There are apparently some additional short stories as well according to the B-T forum, but they are untranslated for now.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 04:33   Link #2
Xacual

I think that's probably why there isn't a topic for it because there isn't much to discuss since it's not a continuing series other than like you said those short stories.

I really enjoyed it back when I read it two? months ago.
Spoiler for Story Spoilers:

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 04:44   Link #3
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I was asking Teh_Ping about this the other day I saw it in my Kino store and the illustrations immediately caught my attention... Along with what little words I could make out on the back of the cover like "Perfect Girl", "Witch/demon girl", "Murder Romance"...

But I didn't know it was already translated
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 07:17   Link #4
Athena
The Power of One

It came out as a surprise project, if remember...
Old 2012-01-03, 07:19   Link #5
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Job well done then Considere me surprised.

EDIT: Here's a little something to attract more attention...

Old 2012-01-03, 13:05   Link #6
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiRa08o2 View Post
It came out as a surprise project, if remember...
Exactly, for what I remember nothing was told about the novel until the translator and project head were actually done with the thing.

I enjoyed this LN a lot, and is actually one of the first LN that pops into my mind when it comes to advising "what to read" to people that aren't into anime and manga but are more into literature, the way it flows and the chain of events are pretty interesting, and the changing chemistry between the main pair is always there and it's always evolving, so it's pretty interesting on it's own.

I think that this was actually the debut work from the author? One can actually see some clumsiness in writing here and there, but nothing that would make you rage quite the novel (for example, Yoko isn't as 100% perfect as advertised, but oh well).

Last edited by Okashira; 2012-01-03 at 13:19.
Okashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 14:00   Link #7
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Oh yeah I read this a while back too. Really enjoyed it and currently rereading it bit by bit.

I think the author started a new series, right? I believe I spotted it around japanese amazon before.
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 17:59   Link #8
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
I think that's probably why there isn't a topic for it because there isn't much to discuss since it's not a continuing series other than like you said those short stories.

I really enjoyed it back when I read it two? months ago.
Spoiler for Story Spoilers:
Well, I don't think it would hurt to have a thread in case people wanted to post their opinions on it. I just hope some people see the thread and decide to try it out.
Spoiler for Story spoilers:
Old 2012-01-03, 21:24   Link #9
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Spoiler for Story spoilers:
Spoiler:

I'm soo looking forward to another novel with these characters.
Old 2012-01-03, 21:52   Link #10
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

I remember reading this a while back, very interesting stuff, I can recommend it to anyone.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 01:08   Link #11
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okashira View Post
Spoiler:

I'm soo looking forward to another novel with these characters.
Spoiler:
Old 2012-01-20, 16:38   Link #12
Marulash

I just finished reading it. Very interesting! I really like the detective character. Sounds like a great person to hang out with haha. Is this a 1-volume thing, or are there going to be more?
Marulash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 16:43   Link #13
Valky
Radioactive

1 Volume I believe.
Valky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 19:35   Link #14
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I'm almost certain it's a oneshot story... For now at least.

I finally got around to reading it over the week and I have to say that's one of the most intriguing 'love story' I've encountered, sort of like a villain pairing with both characters having slightly questionable moral values that they fit each other perfectly I don't have anything against morally conscious characters, but this is certainly a interesting take on boy-meets-potentially-murderous-girl.

Evil couples ftw
Old 2012-01-21, 05:22   Link #15
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

The characters really are interesting. They really made the story exceptional for me. If it weren't for them I probably wouldn't have thought so highly of the book. I'm really glad they added Usami, because it added that contrast that really emphasized how different they were.
Old 2012-01-21, 09:35   Link #16
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
The characters really are interesting. They really made the story exceptional for me. If it weren't for them I probably wouldn't have thought so highly of the book. I'm really glad they added Usami, because it added that contrast that really emphasized how different they were.
The perfect girl with a dark secret is nothing new, but I like how the guy is also of questionable moral standing

In another series, they would have made a lovely 'Evil' couple
Old 2012-03-30, 16:47   Link #17
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I started this the other night. It's awesome. I'm a quarter way finished. The characters are really great and the story flows smoothly. This would make a perfect OVA too.

Be back when I finish.
Old 2012-03-31, 12:34   Link #18
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Finished! Boy that was good. Reminded me of Nisemonogatari, a lot.
Spoiler for Novel:
Old 2012-03-31, 12:54   Link #19
yuzen003

According to the Baka-Tsuki forums Hen Ai Psychedelic is set in the same world with the same cast and there is also at least 1 short story so the world setting does continue.
yuzen003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 00:03   Link #20
taichi-kun

I read somewhere that Nonomiya and Tsukimori appeared in Hen ai Vol. 2

But There aren't translations... and Hen ai is ongoing
taichi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
murder mystery, romance, shounen