AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2013-08-20, 15:23   Link #32841
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauzer View Post
Yep. Only it's actually the other way around.
The fact that you could survive the "accident" in Kuwarodian actually hints that the "accident" had a radius of destruction.
Technically if you count all of ep1-4 it's sort of foreshadowed, in that we know the radius of the bomb and Ange testifies that Kuwadorian still exists, so it's retroactively possible to understand that there is a safe haven.

Note that there is also the fact that Rosa knows Kuwadorian exists and roughly where it is, yet she still believed it possible to just run, and she wasn't even running in the right direction. This would seem to suggest she didn't accurately know the extent of the threat, which in turn would posit she didn't solve the epitaph or if she did, nobody appeared to tell her everything. More likely she didn't (or was cutting a deal for the answer to make it look like she did) and was working as an accomplice.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 15:34   Link #32842
ALPHA-Beatrice

Okay, it's just it wasn't clear to me. I didn't see really any proof based on what I read and played, so I kind of had to ask.
ALPHA-Beatrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 16:05   Link #32843
DokEnkephalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Why do they all acknowledge Beatrice, then, with almost no mention paid to Rosa whatsoever?
I wouldn't assume any scene Battler wasn't present at to be in a reliable POV; that question is like asking who knocked on the dining room door and delivered the letter in EP5. If there was some truth to this scene, it would be that the parents are agreeing to regard Shannon in costume as Beatrice the Golden Witch for the Halloween party.

Quote:
There were mentions of a secret child as early as ep1. And Yasu does exist from the first episode... as, you know, Shannon, at the very least? And also Kanon and Beatrice. I don't think it was exactly proper, but the character exists in the sense that "Yasu" is just who these people are on the inside.
Speculation of a secret child isn't the introduction of a character. And Shannon and Kanon are distinct personalities, hence their deaths can be confirmed in Red when only one has been killed. Since they're also servants, see Dine's 7th.

Quote:
That's correct, it isn't. So arguing from it is pointless.
Red declarations are not. If there was any doubt about Dine's rules, Will reinforced the applicability of the Red ones by citing one without Red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Are Zepar and Furfur less canon because they show up in less Gameboards?
The butterfly brooch, included in TIPS the first EP they appear.

Quote:
Wrong. Rosa doesn't solve the Epitaph in EP2. When the Epitaph is solved, Beatrice stops killing.
Wrong, the killings always continue. EP3 was the only one declared not to be a forgery, and the killings continued in spite of Eva's solution of the Epitaph. The truth of EP7 is that the killings will continue even without an epitaph or Beatrice, and that none of the siblings are innocent -- the only ones who are blameless are the ones who miss the opportunity to shoot first.

Quote:
If she solved the epitaph, she would've known where the gold was and also have known about the bomb and a safe place to hide from it, just like Eva did in EP3. However, Rosa died, trying to outrun death, heading for water. Ergo, she did not solve the Epitaph.
Remember the puzzle in EP8? She knew how to get each bar out, and she did that exactly as many times as she could.

Quote:
It also ignores the context of Beatrice's and the adult's actions in the scene where they talk
So, who knocked on the door in EP5, again? Without a qualified witness, which would be Battler's POV in EP1-4, it's not reliable unless fact-checked in Red.

Quote:
'Beatrice' is a false identity. The whole premise of the novel is to find out who Beatrice is.
Beatrice is as true an identity as Shannon and Kanon, yet Red Truths can place their existence. Finding out who she is isn't the premise, because she's not the culprit -- she's the scapegoat. All she does is throw out the apple of discord, and then exploits the obfuscated events to confuse them further. Kanon said as much to chick Beato, leading to her epiphany.
DokEnkephalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 16:22   Link #32844
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DokEnkephalin View Post
Speculation of a secret child isn't the introduction of a character. And Shannon and Kanon are distinct personalities, hence their deaths can be confirmed in Red when only one has been killed. Since they're also servants, see Dine's 7th.
They're not distinct. They talk about their unique relationship to one another constantly. Also your assertions about ep3 are not true. Basically pretty much everything you've said is entirely factually wrong and not supported by text or common sense.

Show us where Van Dine's rules are explicitly stated to be applicable to Beatrice's games, when Dlanor won't even make the assertion that her games conform to Knox when asked in ep5. Explain the distinction between the brooch and mention of a secret heir and the revelation of '67 Beatrice and the treatment of Kanon and all of that other stuff which is more or less the same degree of foreshadowing. Demonstrate that Beatrice is not actively determining victimhood by showing how the First Twilight occurs absent her agency. Contextualize the payment boxes of ep4 without pre-planned accomplices.

Fantasy scenes still ground in reality in displaying some more important meaning. If the meaning of the ep2 midnight chapel scene is meant to relate to Rosa's activities, why then does it not give her anything of the sort of distinguish her from the other adults? Why is Beatrice the prominent figure? What is being said here? The meaning of the knock scene is clear in the subsequent use of red to remove the possibility of a knock existing; it is proof of a mutual lie and suggestive of a large conspiracy to present false information to Natsuhi.

Old 2013-08-20, 16:54   Link #32845
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Beatrice is as true an identity as Shannon and Kanon, yet Red Truths can place their existence. Finding out who she is isn't the premise, because she's not the culprit -- she's the scapegoat. All she does is throw out the apple of discord, and then exploits the obfuscated events to confuse them further. Kanon said as much to chick Beato, leading to her epiphany.
You are confusing R-Prime and the gameboards.
Old 2013-08-20, 16:58   Link #32846
DokEnkephalin

Quote:
Show us where Van Dine's rules are explicitly stated to be applicable to Beatrice's games,
The most blatant proof is that they are in Red. Beatrice never uses the name of the Witch Hunter Knox (which makes 'Confessions' even less plausible due to her invitation to Dlanor,) but her Red Truths uphold the laws, and she makes oblique reference to them as early as EP2. Why do you think Erika invited Dlanor to Beatrice's game board in the first place?

Quote:
Explain the distinction between the brooch and mention of a secret heir and the revelation of '67 Beatrice and the treatment of Kanon and all of that other stuff which is more or less the same degree of foreshadowing.
Isn't there enough distinction between an item that serves as a vessel for fantasy beings who aren't relevant to the mystery and a person who isn't introduced as a character? Zephar and Furfur's roles are only symbolic and cosmetic; they don't do anything -- hell, they don't even do anything in the strictly fantasy scenes.

Quote:
Demonstrate that Beatrice is not actively determining victimhood by showing how the First Twilight occurs absent her agency. Contextualize the payment boxes of ep4 without pre-planned accomplices.
The 'roulette game' behind the epitaph is repeatedly emphasized by Claire/Beatrice in EP 7. "Traps where you don't know who will get caught, or even whether anyone will get caught at all, are more thrilling and interesting." Beatrice plays the same games of chance as Kinzo. Those payment boxes were sent just like the multiple forgeries in message bottles; Beato had no clue they would actually arrive, or what was going to happen other than that there would be no survivors. Ange points out what an unreliable method Beatrice used to send the deposit info to the families.

Quote:
Fantasy scenes still ground in reality in displaying some more important meaning.
And to obfuscate. There is nothing you can take out of them that aren't corroborated by a qualified witness or asserted in Red.
Old 2013-08-20, 20:34   Link #32847
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
which makes 'Confessions' even less plausible due to her invitation to Dlanor
What exactly about Our Confession is it exactly that makes it doubtworthy? Your argument reads a little like somebody deliberately ignoring an episode in a TV series because it goes against their personal understanding or preference concerning that series. Our Confession was written by Ryukishi, released under the When They Cry label, advertised as being canon to Umineko...so no matter whether you like it or not it is canon (or you could just start tossing out any of the TIPs at random).

Concerning the Flauros discussion, she is technically the same as Gaap as well as the Chiesters or Zepar and Furfur concerning that she personifies both a concept and an item. She is the explosion that rips apart the study in the Confession plot and her vessel are the explosives.

Quote:
Isn't there enough distinction between an item that serves as a vessel for fantasy beings who aren't relevant to the mystery and a person who isn't introduced as a character?
On the level of foreshadowing in a mystery, there isn't any distinction.
A certain element of distortion is important in most mysteries and as long as a character is introduced early on but alluded to even through apparently unconnected parts in the story, it would be the readers goal to make that connection.
Technically the mention of the possibility of a "secret heir" is the introduction of a character, be it a dead one or a living one. Also Beatrice in EP3 mentions that it is her who inherited all the gold from Kinzo, there is mention of her being the "master of the mansion at night", the servants never addressing their "master" by name.

Quote:
The 'roulette game' behind the epitaph is repeatedly emphasized by Claire/Beatrice in EP 7.
The roulette doesn't mean though that Beatrice will stay completely inactive, if that was the case nothing would happen at all. It is rather that she leaves it up to chance who will carry out what role. Who might run into her during the first day when she meets Maria? Which people are in an unobserved spot during the first night? Are there enough people to stage the first twilight without her dying as well? Does anybody solve the epitaph? etc.

And yes, she would have stopped if anybody found the gold, which is shown by EP7. This is certification that somebody else continued the murders in EP3. Who that person is is yours to choose, I think it was Nanjo, others think it was Eva, again others blame Kyrie (though that is pretty much ruled out by the EP8 manga), yet it is made very clear, even on the fantasy-plane, that it is not Beatrice/Yasu continuing the murders. In EP2 on the other hand it can only be her.
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-21, 08:33   Link #32848
GuestSpeaker

Doesn't the ep 8 manga make it reasonably clear that Yasu killed Nanjo in ep 3? I thought everyone else was ruled out?

As for the rule about servants, I often wondered if what Ryu was getting at is that Kannon and Shannon WEREN'T the killers. In a personality construct thing, Shannon would never kill George, and Kanon would never kill Jessica. So even when they survive after these people's deaths, it is because they did not and would not commit the crime, and it is not their plot (though them also truly not being servants is also possible under this interpretation, they are technically masters). I know it's awfully wanky, but that isn't exactly evidence against Ryu doing it.

Also yeah, I probably oversold how seductive Bice would be in that scenario (that is more like Black-Bice), but that doesn't mean they didn't mutually create a way for them to live together, and decide that it needed the gold. A whirlwind offer of "if we take the gold, we can live together" is still possible. Cat-box.
GuestSpeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-21, 09:08   Link #32849
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestSpeaker View Post
As for the rule about servants, I often wondered if what Ryu was getting at is that Kannon and Shannon WEREN'T the killers. In a personality construct thing, Shannon would never kill George, and Kanon would never kill Jessica. So even when they survive after these people's deaths, it is because they did not and would not commit the crime, and it is not their plot (though them also truly not being servants is also possible under this interpretation, they are technically masters). I know it's awfully wanky, but that isn't exactly evidence against Ryu doing it.
Well, it fits with the ep3 red cheat. "Shannon" and "Kanon" do not commit murder. Only another entity (which we can just call "Beatrice") does that. However, it's pretty clear that the whole thing is the action of a single intellect as otherwise things like the ep3 First Twilight or Kanon's "death" in ep1 are impossible.

It creates a scenario where "Kanon" would never kill Jessica, but is perfectly content to allow "Beatrice" to do it. Or where both "Shannon" and "Kanon" are willing to die to deceive everyone in order to permit "Beatrice" to go on killing. And note this totally does happen for both their supposed loved ones, including twice to George.

One could argue for a multiple personalities deal and that Shannon and Kanon wouldn't voluntarily commit these acts, but I'm not sure you can actually back that up as it appears that they must either be willing accomplices or simply all the actions of a single will that is not in any way divided or insane, which I think is the only explanation that gets us to the answer of ep3 the way Will/Yasu saw it.

As an author this essentially means that Beatrice is caught in something of a lie. It's true that Shannon and Kanon won't do certain things, but they're just characters being acted out by the board killer who is entirely capable of doing all of those things even though they know that the servant characters would object to them. The notion of Kanon's struggles being useless is basically literal: Even if Kanon wouldn't do what the board killer wants, "Beatrice" can make him complicit because the true face wants to commit the murders. Essentially, it's Shannon and Kanon's unwillingness that's the act.

This seems a reversal from reality though, where Yasu's conflicting feelings and attachment to the people she cares for are the truth and "the culprit" is the mask. The Beatrice of the boards is not the same person as her creator at all.

Old 2013-08-21, 09:38   Link #32850
Sauzer

Quote:
However, it's pretty clear that the whole thing is the action of a single intellect as otherwise things like the ep3 First Twilight or Kanon's "death" in ep1 are impossible.
Huh? You mean in ep1 boiler room? I asumed Kanon did not die in ep1 at all. neither as a person or something else. The whole point of ep4 Lamdba truths is that he didn't die. Or are you talking about something else?
Old 2013-08-21, 09:49   Link #32851
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauzer View Post
Huh? You mean in ep1 boiler room? I asumed Kanon did not die in ep1 at all. neither as a person or something else. The whole point of ep4 Lamdba truths is that he didn't die. Or are you talking about something else?
The only reason for Kanon to "die" in that part was to fit with Beatrice's schemes and allow her to move about without being tied to Shannon or Kanon's roles.

It's true nothing killed Kanon, because the person didn't die, but Beatrice allowed Kanon to essentially be "eliminated" as a character. He may have had willingly complicit people in his fakery (for example he could've made up a line to Jessica, or simply had Nanjo lie to everyone), but the purpose of his death doesn't actually resist Beatrice; it assists her.

In other words, Kanon "taking a stand" against the witch ultimately only helps her and the whole thing comes across as entirely planned on the culprit's part. So I doubt seriously it was a personality issue as if Kanon had such a distinct personality he wouldn't willingly participate in the fakery. In short, Kanon is just an act and the culprit can "eliminate" him if she wishes, but she does so in conformity with how Kanon "would" behave.

It's not all that different from the fantasy narrative Beatrice weaves in to make Shannon and Kanon more noble in defense of their loves, something that clearly didn't happen in Turn because it was Shannon/Kanon/Beatrice who murdered them. I doubt seriously the killer was struggling with actual personalities opposed to the murder.

Old 2013-08-21, 09:53   Link #32852
Sauzer

Quote:
The only reason for Kanon to "die" in that part was to fit with Beatrice's schemes and allow her to move about without being tied to Shannon or Kanon's roles.

It's true nothing killed Kanon, because the person didn't die, but Beatrice allowed Kanon to essentially be "eliminated" as a character. He may have had willingly complicit people in his fakery (for example he could've made up a line to Jessica, or simply had Nanjo lie to everyone), but the purpose of his death doesn't actually resist Beatrice; it assists her.

In other words, Kanon "taking a stand" against the witch ultimately only helps her and the whole thing comes across as entirely planned on the culprit's part. So I doubt seriously it was a personality issue as if Kanon had such a distinct personality he wouldn't willingly participate in the fakery. In short, Kanon is just an act and the culprit can "eliminate" him if she wishes, but she does so in conformity with how Kanon "would" behave.

It's not all that different from the fantasy narrative Beatrice weaves in to make Shannon and Kanon more noble in defense of their loves, something that clearly didn't happen in Turn because it was Shannon/Kanon/Beatrice who murdered them. I doubt seriously the killer was struggling with actual personalities opposed to the murder.
Ah, right. It's just that ep1 did not rely on the whole Kanon/Shannon/Yasu to solve everything, so I kinda forgot it gets more convoluted.
Old 2013-08-21, 10:20   Link #32853
haguruma

Quote:
Doesn't the ep 8 manga make it reasonably clear that Yasu killed Nanjo in ep 3? I thought everyone else was ruled out?
Yes, but isn't it a swell question why exactly Yasu would kill Nanjo? We already know at this point that EVA and Eva are distinct characters on the board, EVA herself said that she is no longer Eva and can make moves on her own, so she is basically as much a free pawn as Beatrice, who is described by Bern in EP1 as "not necessarily being tied to one woman" (which then of course was mostly a hint both towards the "multiple characters being one" angle, as well as hinting towards the line of Beatrices).

When it comes to a possible EP3 Nanjo-culprit theory it basically goes like this:
After all servants have "died" in the first twilight Nanjo seems fairly sure that he can secure a larger part of the cake for himself but also knows that nobody would take him seriously anyway (basically the "Forgery of Purple Truth" plot).
Why were Rosa and Maria murdered without the usage of guns? Because the culprit at that point did not possess a gun, which is also the reason why Rosa did not consider shooting.
The fourth to sixth twilight is actually the one that's most questionable, but also not impossible for him. Hideyoshi was likely killed in the struggle with Kyrie and Rudolph though.
Nanjo was actually the one who probably knew that George left and was the one who was "convinced that the witch did it". It is unlikely that Eva killed George and other people have alibis. He could have snuck out and killed him out of fear of being found out.
The strangulation of Natsuhi and Krauss could also be explained by the culprit not having a gun.
In the end Yasu takes revenge on Nanjo by shooting him at point range.

The fact that the stakes were used also highly speaks against Eva being the culprit, but it is likely that Nanjo would know where the stakes are.

Of course this could also all be explained with lovesick, insane Yasu theory.
Old 2013-08-21, 10:42   Link #32854
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

The only issue I'd take with that is... Nanjo, really? He's a doughy older man who isn't known for being physically strong. While it's possible he could in fact kill Rosa in a surprise attack (it's not like Rosa wouldn't let him get close, she has no reason to fear him) and I don't have any objection to his being able to kill Maria, Krauss is a big guy and there's no clear indication as to how Nanjo might have incapacitated both he and Natsuhi in such a way as to allow him time to kill them both.

If Krauss were conscious, I doubt Nanjo could kill him without a weapon. If Krauss were somehow rendered unconscious prior to death, how did Nanjo do it and when? The only way I could really see this working is if Nanjo basically sedated both of them first, then dragged them somewhere they wouldn't be found immediately and strangled them out. Nearly anything that would require Nanjo to straight-up fight people seems implausible, to say the least, so he would have to surprise, trick, or otherwise deal with people in an underhanded manner.

Neat idea though. Although it makes me wonder why he wouldn't have tried anything with Jessica when "treating" her. Seems like it would've been an ideal time to kill her off, and she's basically helpless. Or was he perhaps planning to do it and just never got around to it on account of getting shot? And if he was surprised by Yasu, does that mean he just assumed the First Twilight to be real? Isn't "confirming" the deaths practically his whole job as an accomplice?

Old 2013-08-22, 04:57   Link #32855
haguruma

Quote:
Krauss is a big guy and there's no clear indication as to how Nanjo might have incapacitated both he and Natsuhi in such a way as to allow him time to kill them both.
Well, that problem comes up for all of them, but the mention of tranquilizers in EP3 makes it very apparent that at least for those two something along those lines must have been used. Neither Eva, nor George, nor Nanjo...not even Yasu would have had the capacities to kill those two on their own, so something akin to tranquilizers must have been used.

Quote:
Nearly anything that would require Nanjo to straight-up fight people seems implausible, to say the least, so he would have to surprise, trick, or otherwise deal with people in an underhanded manner.
And that is technically how all the murders in EP3 seem to have been carried out except for the shoot-out in the hall and Nanjo's murder. Rosa was pushed on a spike, Maria was strangled, Krauss and Natsuhi were strangled by a cord of some kind (apparently not shot) and George was very likely ambushed (at least that is how the scene portrays it).

Quote:
Seems like it would've been an ideal time to kill her off, and she's basically helpless. Or was he perhaps planning to do it and just never got around to it on account of getting shot?
Isn't that what it seems like? What reason was there for Yasu to kill Dr. Nanjo but leave Jessica, Battler and Eva alive? The Whodunnit and Howdunnit of that scene is simple, but the Whydunnit always irked me, because unless Yasu was the culprit all the time then there would be no reason to lead Jessica to safety, if it was Eva then there is no reason to attack Nanjo of all the survivors.

Nanjo makes a hell lot of sense and actually makes his last sentence a lot more poignant. "No, please, I have a sick granddaughter...that is why I need all the money!!"

Quote:
And if he was surprised by Yasu, does that mean he just assumed the First Twilight to be real? Isn't "confirming" the deaths practically his whole job as an accomplice?
That is actually the one biggest problem with this, why he did not count in Yasu, who was lying right next to George. He might have believed to have actually killed her this time around (as EVA is shown to attack both of them)...but that is the problem with EP3 that it is a narrative, wrapped in a narrative, wrapped in a narrative, disguised as fantasy.
If it actually was Nanjo, it would be Nanjo culprit, interpreted as Eva culprit in the framework of Yasu culprit, disguised as Beatrice culprit.
Old 2013-08-22, 05:10   Link #32856
GuestSpeaker

I'm not sure how valid this theory is, but I wonder if the "Kanon would never" "Shannon would never" also has something to do with the fact that as far as I know, Shannon and Kanon have never outlived their love interests. Yasu is a single mind controlling Kanon, but Kanon is a defined being with a certain personality. If Yasu kills Jessica, then Yasu has done something Kanon would never do, and can never claim to be acting as Kanon again. Yasu basically kills and shuts the door on that personality.
Old 2013-08-22, 05:20   Link #32857
Wanderer
Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
It is physically impossible to reach the guesthouse from the door of the dining hall in a few seconds.
"Of all the people in the dining hall, not one of them left the dining hall until 1:00 AM...!"

Erika's testimony:
"...we walked out of the archive into the hallway at 1:00 AM. When we did, we just happened to bump into Rosa as she returned."

Tee-hee.

Quote:
She wouldn't while Kanon "lived". After Kanon "died", Natsuhi as an adult with the gun was the greater threat. Jessica was left to die in the bomb with the rest.
Natsuhi's gun wasn't even loaded, and Beatrice, fully aware, was quite amused by this.

Source: Episode 8 manga.

Quote:
She supported Rosa because Rosa had solved the epitaph (hinted in EP3 when she was just a step behind Eva,) which is where the gold bars came from. After everyone reneged on the succession part of the agreement, Krauss acting like it never happened and everyone else willing to let him have it just for equal shares (also hinted any other time they were shown finding the gold,) she poisoned them at the Halloween party they all organized together. Beatrice just cut them open, which is why Rosa was genuinely shocked on seeing them again.
In this scenario what's up with Beatrice giving the chapel key to Maria?

Quote:
In a personality construct thing, Shannon would never kill George, and Kanon would never kill Jessica. So even when they survive after these people's deaths,
With the exception of Lambda's game they never do, and I don't think that's a coincidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
That is actually the one biggest problem with this, why he did not count in Yasu, who was lying right next to George. He might have believed to have actually killed her this time around (as EVA is shown to attack both of them)...but that is the problem with EP3 that it is a narrative, wrapped in a narrative, wrapped in a narrative, disguised as fantasy.
Actually, when they come across George's body, Shannon's body is completely absent from the scene's description. I've found this quite odd, considering that George's body is supposed to be, like, right next to or on top of hers.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-22, 05:43   Link #32858
GuestSpeaker

I misspoke, I meant even when YASU survives after the deaths of these people.

We have no proof that Kanon and Shannon outlived those two in Lamba's game, their deaths were only confirmed at midnight day 2.
Old 2013-08-22, 08:25   Link #32859
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Natsuhi's gun wasn't even loaded, and Beatrice, fully aware, was quite amused by this.

Source: Episode 8 manga.
It was loaded, but with blanks or something. Enough to produce smoke but incapable of firing a projectile. She points out Natsuhi couldn't tell the difference, so that suggests the bullets may have been messed with and Natsuhi just doesn't know enough about guns to realize it.

As far as I know nothing says Natsuhi could never have fired, only that the bullet that killed her wasn't from her own gun. Basically she and Beatrice just had to fire at the same time (to create a single sound), but Beatrice was in no danger because Natsuhi didn't have real bullets.

This also explains pretty much that entire ending bit, obviously, and also allows Natsuhi to not be an accomplice (if the gun wasn't loaded she'd probably notice that).
Quote:
Actually, when they come across George's body, Shannon's body is completely absent from the scene's description. I've found this quite odd, considering that George's body is supposed to be, like, right next to or on top of hers.
The problem with the theory for me is more the First Twilight. If such a thing were planned out, Nanjo would have a role to play as an accomplice. Remember, the epitaph isn't solved until the plan is put into motion, so something was planned to go on until Eva solved the epitaph. Once she did so, Beatrice would keep her word and stop killing... but Nanjo should still know that she was faking her death in the FT and had originally planned to kill people. The fact that she's stopped doesn't make her any less alive and shouldn't make Nanjo any less aware of that.

If Nanjo is aware that Beatrice is alive, he takes a big risk murdering anyone because he has no idea where Beatrice is and how much she's seen. Now his thought process could certainly be "she can't show herself because she's supposed to be dead, so if I'm careful I can kill everybody and she won't be able to prove it's me." But that still makes dragging Krauss and Natsuhi outside or killing Rosa and Maria outside a bad plan. Killing people inside, where others are, would prevent Beatrice from just stumbling upon the corpses and realizing someone is continuing the murders, and at some point he'd narrow down the suspect pool enough that she'd be on to him.

She's unaccounted-for and unaccountable. She could pop up at literally any time, probably armed with a weapon (as she knows where they are), and shut him down exactly the way she apparently does in ep3. Why didn't Nanjo consider this? Or if he did, why was he so sure he'd get away with it? Sure, if he believed she was dead maybe, but that means he didn't check... and he's the doctor. I mean granted he's a terrible doctor, but even so.

Old 2013-08-22, 14:37   Link #32860
DokEnkephalin

Quote:
I'm not sure how valid this theory is, but I wonder if the "Kanon would never" "Shannon would never" also has something to do with the fact that as far as I know, Shannon and Kanon have never outlived their love interests. Yasu is a single mind controlling Kanon, but Kanon is a defined being with a certain personality. If Yasu kills Jessica, then Yasu has done something Kanon would never do, and can never claim to be acting as Kanon again. Yasu basically kills and shuts the door on that personality.
From the premise "Kanon is dead", the conclusion that Kanon is a unique existence is logically valid. You could challenge the premise, except that in the scope of the board, Red Truths are truths that can't be challenged, so that conclusion would also have to be truth. The separate premise "Shannon is dead" further implies that they're distinctly unique existences.

Now add to that the existence of "Beatrice", and I'm not sure Yasu can be said to control anything so much as s/he's controlled by them. S/he's only seen to surface to ask questions or make accusations. His/her name is convenient to refer to the 'one of many' collective, but there's no evidence s/he takes any proactive role in the game; s/he's pretty much resigned himself/herself to chance.

It doesn't appear that Beatrice is able to kill George while Shannon is "alive", or Jessica while Kanon is "alive", so has to "kill" those personalities first. The chronology of EP2 4th-6th twilight is kind of sketchy though; between Shannon, George and Gohda, who killed who first? And EP4 2nd twilight; if Shannon called George, did she also meet with him? Why does he have a pretty little headshot instead of a half-demolished skull like everyone else (except Kyrie?)

Quote:
I thought of that, too, if Beatrice was only supporting Rudolph, he would've been more pragmatic than to target anyone personally rather than tactically, and when he got the gun from Kinzo's study he would've unloaded/sabotaged any weapon he couldn't carry. I wasn't sure the "man from 19 years ago" spec could apply in any ep other than 5.

Quote:
In this scenario what's up with Beatrice giving the chapel key to Maria?
Better question is "what's up with Beatrice being seen by Rosa giving the chapel key to Maria?" As hammy as she is across the board, she doesn't make an appearance on it unless that appearance serves some purpose.

Quote:
With the exception of Lambda's game they never do, and I don't think that's a coincidence.

This is a clue that Shannon/Kanon had nothing to do with it, just like Beatrice appears to be out of the loop in the fantasy scenes.

Quote:
he's the doctor. I mean granted he's a terrible doctor, but even so.
He kept Kinzo alive over a year after he died. That kind of doctor is a miracle worker!

Last edited by DokEnkephalin; 2013-08-22 at 14:52. Reason: wrong ep