AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-06-12, 09:25   Link #61
PastPrime

I have wondered if it was a hard reset swith or a soft reset that could be changed by the program. I think that it is probably a programable switch. In which case, given what he wanted for his "daughters" it might have been programmed so that when they "became one" with the person they choose, it would act like a "g spot" rather that a reset switch so they would get pleasure too. It is something they wouldn't be told about until the proper time.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 08:07   Link #62
KimmyChan

I have the complete DVD box set of Chobits and have watched it once so far
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-26, 05:06   Link #63
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
REVIEW GYNOID TIME

Chobits is to its core a romantic comedy like so many others. It is about a rather typical teen male lead and his life with a girl that suddenly had to stay at his apartment. If you have seen or read enough harems and ecchi comedies you can see the cheese of the premise present from the very first episode. A guy with zero talent and zero experience with women all of a sudden gets swarmed by pretty gals who for one or another emotional reason need him.

But a few tips about the story are in need. It’s the near future, technology has reached a point where personal computers now look and act like people and many real humans turn to them in order to find happiness. Some are just assistants on various jobs, others are bought friends or pets, or even lovers. And in all this chaos our hero finds one such robot thrown in the garbage and decides to keep it for himself. Which of course ends up being a beautiful girl that knows nothing and learns like a child even the most basic things. Soon many others who are involved with this new breed of machines interact with him and a lot of things are revealed or proven not what they seem.

The premise of the show could very easily turn to some hentai, as it involves robots built to resemble beautiful people and who are programmed to obey their masters down to the last detail. And yes, there is a lot of focus given to the aspect of these robots being used as substitutes for romance, friendship or even sex partners. So yeah, in theory this is the stuff from which a mountain of ecchi and hentai recycle their ideas form through the decades.

Yet it is not really an average ecchi comedy and by no means a hentai, despite bordering it subtly at times. It also is in fact full of social criticism and metal awareness that actually leave some food to the mind amongst all the cheese of the erotic humor. Very few such shows bother to add something other than an excuse of a story and random situations where people bump on each other naked.

Although it never gets too deep or philosophical, it still has the guts to criticize the very tropes its genres are supposed to deify in order to appeal to the target audience. And by the end of the day that is what makes this anime to deserve a spot on the tops of romantic comedies. It aims to make you laugh with sex jokes on one hand and make you think if all this utopia of dreamy artificial people is that good to begin with. So it shows things from both sides of the spectrum, making propaganda and anti-propaganda at the same time. It is post-modern yet anti-post modern as well.

Most of course hardly notice such overtones and focus mainly on the cast or the quality of the humor. Which again I must say have far more interest than most casts in such shows. The social and mental overtones gave room for immersion to each ones mentality, allowing character coloring and development to come along. They even offered catharsis and a satisfying closure instead of just leaving it stale and open to a sequel; the bulk of what romantic comedies turn to almost every time. No sir, here we have a complete story with developed characters. By the end of the show you really feel sympathy for most of the characters, as each one has his or her own set of worries. None feels out of place as every issue involves the humanoid machines. There is uniformity and not random ideas thrown blindly here and there.

I must point out that this series is by no means Ghost in the Shell. Most episodes work fine as stand alones and their storylines are in fact quite common in ecchi comedies. It’s just that since the lead robot girl is steadily learning, you feel there is actual progress amongst all the cheese. Plus, the secondary cast also reacts differently based on previous events and thus you never get a filler episode in the strict sense of the word.

As much as I liked the characters and the story premise, I still don’t give a very high mark on the actual storyline. To the most part it builds a mystery and a global conspiracy that makes you feel the end of the world is near, yet by the end of the series nothing really terrifying even happens to the world. So all the mystery is basically a fake lure to keep you worried about the end of the show. It otherwise resolves matters in quite the anti-climactic way, but not necessary a sloppy one. It is good but not serious or rewarding enough to deserve more.

The artwork is very appealing to the eye, without needing to be extra detailed or made with millions of polygons. The environments feel almost minimalistic and in comical moments the characters and the backgrounds simplify extremely. Yet, this does not ruin the overall feeling as the jokes still get through, while the shady carton layer-type of filter they use to make everything look silly is not taking out any enjoyment. The character figures, although rather simplistic in body and facial structure still maintain an air of cuteness and beauty, boosted further by the rather extravagant uniforms they usually wear. Plus, those touches with the fairy tale book and its weird symbolisms gave an artchy feeling that makes you think it’s a work of non-ecchi erotic art.

The music is also of very good level. The voice actors did a fine job and high pitched tones are kept for the chibi ones. The dialogues are nice on being both funny and with occasionally some existentialist or philosophical questions around the meaning of happiness and such. The pop songs are also modest enough to be memorable without ever resulting to puke-sounding cats on heat. Plus they have a tone of sadness in them that really makes you think about where your life is heading or something fuzzy like that. The action theme song has also this industrialist tone that makes it great to listen to again and again.

Overall, this is one of those rare cases where I fully enjoyed a romantic / ecchi comedy. It was not just random jokes, it had a story, it had development, it had an ending, it had some food for the mind. And above all, nothing felt completely retarded, like out of this world reactions to a situation or ass-pulled plot twists. Replay value is high, and so is enjoyment.

ART: 8/10
SOUND: 8/10
STORY: 7/10
CHARACTERS: 9/10
VALUE: 8/10
ENJOYMENT: 8/10
OVERALL SCORE: 8/10
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-26, 17:15   Link #64
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Have you read the manga roriconfan? I recommend it seeing as though you enjoyed the anime quite a bit.
Old 2011-02-26, 19:07   Link #65
roriconfan
Banned

^ Yup, I have the entire series. Bought by Tokyopop, not scanalated.
Old 2011-02-26, 21:11   Link #66
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
^ Yup, I have the entire series. Bought by Tokyopop, not scanalated.
Same here, good man. I have been tempted with the new Dark horses Omnbus collections though, just because they did such a good job with Clover, Magic Knight Rayearth and Cardcaptor Sakura.
Old 2011-03-16, 06:34   Link #67
maxmoe

If you like Chobits, I rec Angelic Layer which takes place in the same universe.
maxmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 19:19   Link #68
roriconfan
Banned

^ Meh too childish. Not even half the fun of Chobits.
Old 2011-03-19, 03:32   Link #69
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Also a proud owner of both the anime and the manga...
Old 2011-07-18, 02:41   Link #70
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

slowpoke.jpg

watching this series, I'm only hoping Hideki becomes less grating
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 00:36   Link #71
Terransheep
Hai... masta...
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Terransheep Send a message via Yahoo to Terransheep
Hmm I finished the anime few days ago, and now I gotta say this is my favroite anime X.x. As the above said, it really left tons of food for my brain and now I'm begging for more eventhough I've finished it!~ However I don't really like the manga of this title since I think anime has the plot more planned out and flow together like a smooth stream. Manga's storyline gave me a feeling of random blocks appearing with no smooth connections. However manga always has more information compare to anime... really gave me the goosebumps after reading manga coz some information is exposed~!

I got one question about manga...
Spoiler:
Old 2011-12-20, 22:54   Link #72
tyciol
*Artist

So I was thinking, since Chii is a computer with some kind of built-in power supply, could she maybe do things like this?
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 23:32   Link #73
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I would assume only to things with a USB connection.
Old 2016-10-27, 06:19   Link #74
judasmartel
*Author

I just want to share to everyone that after watching Ueda's super sob story, I now actually feel bad about judging people with rather strange tastes in partners (like people who actually want to marry 2d waifus). It probably helped that Ueda isn't the type of person who would obsess over such things to the point of preferring something that isn't alive over someone who is, and everything he experienced with persocom is very similar to seeing your beloved suffer from Alzheimer's or dementia.

Such strange worlds, indeed, both virtual / 2d and real life / 3d.

========

By the way guys, I just recently came across a Korean dub of Chobits the anime on YT. It's only up to Episode 17 atm, and I'm kind of interested how the Korean dub will handle Ueda's story in I think Episode 19.

Some things I noticed about the dub:

- They changed most of the names, though they retained those of Chii, Shinbo and Sumomo.

Spoiler for name changes:

- So far, I think the voice acting is on point most of the time, though Sumomo sounds rather odd, probably because small high-pitched voices don't really translate well in Korean, I don't know.

- For some reason, I feel that Korean Chii (Mina Yun) sounds more innocent than Japanese Chii. Rie Tanaka-san as Chii sounds rather monotone, at least before the darker stuff came into play, though still pretty good considering she's a persocom and all, but Ms. Yun's Chii really sounds like a little girl without sounding too robotic.

In case anyone's curious about Mina Yun, here is her ANN profile.

- Chii and Freya are voiced by different seiyuu. Freya's seiyuu also voices Yuzuki.

- All three songs used in the anime even have Korean versions!

Spoiler for Raison D'Etre (ED 1):

Spoiler for Ningyo Hime (ED 2):

What's really strange about the Korean version of Ningyo Hime (Ino Kongjun?) is that I think it could really fit in ANY Korean drama.

Sorry, I can't find a Korean version of the opening theme.

Here's the first episode though:

Spoiler for Chobits [KOR] ep 1:
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romance, science fiction, seinen