AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-28, 07:50   Link #1
Budweineken
Crap

Zombie Powder

Finally decided to read this manga, and thought it was pretty good. It had great characters, and that's enough for me to enjoy the manga. Action was good, and the story I thought was going somewhere, especially as they explore each character's background.

Sadly, the manga was only 4 volumes long, and it ended very abruptly. I've tried searching around for an explanation for the shortness, and the best explanation that I could find was that the mangaka was in a bad state of mind when he did Zombie Powder. The mangaka is Kubotite, the mangaka of Bleach. So I was wondering if anyone here knows the whole story behind why he stopped releasing Zombie Powder, and if there's any news on him ever considering continuing the manga.
Old 2006-08-28, 11:51   Link #2
Hydex

Considering how busy he is drawing bleach, i don't think we'll ever see a new chapter of Zombie Powder, at least for a few years.
Old 2006-08-28, 13:11   Link #3
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

What I read was the manga fared poorly on readers and received sparse fan letters, used as an indication gauge for manga ratings.

Eventually, Shonen Jump pulled it out after Kubo announced its cancellation.
Old 2006-08-28, 18:41   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Guido is exactly corect. Shounen Jump decided to cancel it because of poor viewer response. Though I read some very interesting things that Kubo-sensei said about it in an interview.

In that interview Kubo-sensei said that he was planning for Zombie Powder to lead into a much more complicated and involved story, just like the first Bleach story arc was a prequel to the Soul Society arc. When he was told that the manga was being cancelled, Kubo simply created an ending for Zombie Powder that threw away all of the cool things that he was intending to do. Later on when writing Bleach he was very careful to keep everything in reserve so that he could tie up the entire first story arc neatly in case that got cancelled also.

I know that if Bleach had been cancelled before the Soul Society arc, I wouldn't have seen 95% of the cool stuffs. Heck, I wouldn't even be able to imagine where it was going. Just imagine what Zombie Powder might have become if he hadn't had to cancel it...

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-08-28, 19:54   Link #5
Budweineken
Crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa

In that interview Kubo-sensei said that he was planning for Zombie Powder to lead into a much more complicated and involved story, just like the first Bleach story arc was a prequel to the Soul Society arc. When he was told that the manga was being cancelled, Kubo simply created an ending for Zombie Powder that threw away all of the cool things that he was intending to do. Later on when writing Bleach he was very careful to keep everything in reserve so that he could tie up the entire first story arc neatly in case that got cancelled also.
Damn you, now I want him to continue it even more. But this cancelling of mangas is pissing me off, it's the same shitty situation as TV Shows in American television, all the good ones keep getting cancelled, and you're left with the shit to watch. Hopefully by the time Bleach ends, he would've gotten so popular that people give Zombie Powder a second try and push him to continue it because, as I said before, the manga is full of cool characters, with apparently interesting backgrounds, and a lot of great fights.

But yeah, I agree with you with the introductory volumes before the real story. Heck, up until volume 4 we were simply introducing all the characters that will be involved in the story.
Old 2006-08-28, 20:05   Link #6
lommm
l'homme de lommm

i have read in a interview with kubotite that he would like to continue zombie powder someday...

when that will be, who knows....

bleach is ongoing, but once ichigo defeats aizen, i'm not sure that there will be much of a story left... i mean, everything that's happened from the first chapter to present has been all part of the same storyline: Aizen being a bastard who wants to attain ultimate power. if ichigo beats him, then there will be no more through line.

so when/if that ever happens, kt might go back to the world of zombie powder.

*crosses fingers*
Old 2006-09-09, 06:22   Link #7
burn_10
burn

guys do u know were 2 download this manga!!!!!!
Old 2006-09-09, 21:33   Link #8
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_10
guys do u know were 2 download this manga!!!!!!
Licensed by Viz, no asking for downloads.

I actually picked up volume 1 by Viz this morning, and the English adaptation seems pretty solid after some initial assessment. It's got a few misprints here and there, but apart from that everything's just fine. The second volume is going to be released in December.

Last edited by [DOT].L; 2006-09-09 at 22:45.
Old 2007-04-26, 17:18   Link #9
Ryoichi
Wild Dreamer

Zombie Powder

I have recently been reading Zombie Powder and am now on volume three since I wait until its in Borders to buy it. However, I have heard from a fellow anime aficionado that the series ends at volume four due to some personal problems of the creator Tite Kubo. I wish to know if this is true and if so will the series be continued or if my friend is a liar and the series is still going strong.
Old 2007-04-26, 17:30   Link #10
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoichi View Post
I have recently been reading Zombie Powder and am now on volume three since I wait until its in Borders to buy it. However, I have heard from a fellow anime aficionado that the series ends at volume four due to some personal problems of the creator Tite Kubo. I wish to know if this is true and if so will the series be continued or if my friend is a liar and the series is still going strong.
Nope, stops at 4 unfortunately. And Kubo's in full swing with Bleach so no hope for Zombie Powder at least until that's done.
Old 2007-04-26, 17:34   Link #11
Ryoichi
Wild Dreamer

...........ouch
Old 2007-04-27, 07:10   Link #12
Hydex

Yep, didn't have success in Japan, so Kubo ended it prematurely. No hope until Bleach is finished.
Old 2008-09-26, 01:50   Link #13
Captain Yoruichi
Yoruichi Biased! ^_^

Send a message via AIM to Captain Yoruichi
I think Zombie Powder had a lot of promise. With any luck, Kubo will be able to restart it after Bleach and the Bleach fans will carry over and make it more successful than it was before.
Old 2009-01-12, 13:54   Link #14
Gamma Kaio

I think zombie powder was great
it had awesome characters
to bad it ended
it might come back in a couple of years though
Old 2009-01-13, 03:11   Link #15
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I loved the manga too, I knew it had ended abruptly before I started reading it, but I think it's a promising one with a lot of potential. Maybe when bleach is over Tite Kubo will start writing zombie powder again!
P.S:is it just me or does Grimmjow look like Gamma?
Old 2009-03-30, 06:57   Link #16
KimmyChan

My boyfriend owns all 4 volumes of this series, of which I've read

It's pretty cool, and I only wished that it went on a bit longer, but oh well
Old 2009-04-30, 18:34   Link #17
Mibu Kyoshiro

So....pretty much everyone is saying the same thing "Tite Kubo went crazy and started Bleach , instead of finishing Zombie Powder, because fans weren't too crazy about ZP"

Well, he needs to quit Bleach and go back to ZP, cuz Bleach is the worst manga I have ever read (my opinion) and I feel incomplete when I start a manga/book series and then I can't finish the story.....hope I'm not the only one
Old 2009-05-01, 01:10   Link #18
Kafriel
Senior Guest

From what I've heard, KT writes his manga in a way that he can end them fast if popularity drops...hopefully we'll see the end of bleach soon.
Old 2009-05-01, 09:02   Link #19
KimmyChan

The characters in this series were very cool and I liked them a lot, especially Wolfgangina Lalla Getto
Old 2009-08-02, 08:37   Link #20
XLilaX

In one of Bleach's recent chapters Kubo actually used the same idea for one of his characters to have guns Does this mean there's still hope for ZBPD!!!

PS
For whoever is familiar with Bleach does ne one think that Wolfina looks like Keigo's sister ?_?