Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-19, 07:23   Link #101
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Shinigami View Post
I'm thinking Jinchuu Arc only is more feasible, otherwise 100 episodes for the full series.
Taking the filler episodes out of the Tokyo arc would mean that Kyoto ends at around 54, you don't need 46 episodes for the Jinchuu arc. They can also seriously tighten up the pace of the Kyoto arcs if they wanted to....

People asking for 70+ episodes are dreaming, Inuyasha was lucky to get 26 episodes to finish off adapting a massive amount of manga.... you also have to factor in time slots and which of them will even allow something longer than 2 cour.

I'm predicting something like a Katanagatari release (12 hour long OVAs) as a best case scenario... and what we get will hardly come close to what most people here are expecting. As for VAs someone dig up the ones used on the recent Rurouni Kenshin PSP game and see what changed.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 07:23   Link #102
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
And yes, I've watched many 13 and 26 episode series in my time, some with multiple seasons! It has nothing to do with my attention span being short. It's the same reason why I prefer 30 hour RPGs now to the massive 80-hour timesinks I used to play in high school.

I. Don't. Have. Time. For. That. Shit.

*facepalm*
Whether it's 13 episodes or 1300, all you need is 20 minutes of free time per week to watch it. Yes, you'd have to cut ONE series out of your watch list each season in order to keep watching it, but is it really so hard? It all comes down to this: would your rather spend your time watching one long excellent series instead of five mediocre or sometimes even awful ones?

If you don't think Kenshin is worth a rewatch, that's fine. No need to make up excuses.
Old 2011-04-19, 08:09   Link #103
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
You misunderstanding. It's Nozomu Sasaki, not Nozomi Sasaki. The first is a male voice actor, he's already voiced Yusuke from Yu Yu Hakusho while the latter is a female voice actress who's voiced Last Order from To Aru Majutsu no Index.
I mixed up one vowel and I fucking know who are the two VAs and I am pretty sure everyone else understood WHO I meant. No need to go that way on me. *is so close to swear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Whether it's 13 episodes or 1300, all you need is 20 minutes of free time per week to watch it. Yes, you'd have to cut ONE series out of your watch list each season in order to keep watching it, but is it really so hard? It all comes down to this: would your rather spend your time watching one long excellent series instead of five mediocre or sometimes even awful ones?

If you don't think Kenshin is worth a rewatch, that's fine. No need to make up excuses.

Motherfucking seconded. Nowadays' offering is too often subpar that it is not a bad idea to given old excellent series about two episodes a day. Which is what I did with Legend of Galactic Heroes, seeing that I only had Madoka to watch while the rest is enraging. I may likely go for another one old series before I rage any further against stuff like Dog Days.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 08:20   Link #104
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I'm predicting something like a Katanagatari release (12 hour long OVAs) as a best case scenario... and what we get will hardly come close to what most people here are expecting. As for VAs someone dig up the ones used on the recent Rurouni Kenshin PSP game and see what changed.
I totally dig the idea of it being done like Katanagatari if the context of each episode is well grasped. With Katanagatari, it was done 1 episode for 1 deviant blade, and the monthly releases were done to make the story feel real-time as well. I would obviously like a weekly release better for this, however, and more than 12 eps would be needed for a series of this length.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 08:29   Link #105
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Just gonna compile what we know so far, so people don't have to backtrack over several pages or get confused about what's speculation and what's fact.

What we know for certain so far
  • A new anime project has been green-lit for Watsuki Nobuhiro's samurai-themed shounen/romance manga, Rurouni Kenshin
  • The original animated series began re-runs on Japan's Tokyo MX station on April 7

What has been speculated upon so far
  • The format of this new anime. Top vote-getters so far are either a reboot/Adaptation Distillation akin to FMA: Brotherhood, or a continuation of the original series into the third manga arc known as Jinchuu (also referred to as the Revenge Arc). This is all nothing more than wishful thinking at the moment, though, since the new anime could be anything from a movie to a new set of OVAs to a full-on TV series. There are no concrete details as of right now about this.
  • The cast of this new anime. The general consensus so far is that the entire cast will likely be kept intact from the original anime with the obvious exception of the voice of Saitou Hajime since Hirotaka Suzuoki died of lung cancer in 2006. Some people (including myself) have voiced a desire for some voice changes, most notably for Kamiya Kaoru, but this is nothing more than speculation and/or pipe dreaming on the part of the series' fans.
  • The character designs for the new anime. Odds are the original styles will be kept, though there are also the newer re-designed looks Watsuki did for the kanzenban release of the manga. This is pure speculation, however, and there is no indication that there will be any character design changes for the new anime.
  • The production studio for the new anime. Fans have voiced their disapproval for how Studio DEEN handled the original series, but the likelihood is that DEEN will still be primarily involved in the development of this new anime.

tl;dr version - The only things we know for certain right now is we're getting a new RK anime of some kind and that the original series is currently airing in re-runs. Whether that second fact is actually indicative of anything remains to be seen. Everything else in this thread is nothing but speculation on the part of fans of the anime & manga.
DJLowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 08:35   Link #106
Westlo
Lets be reality

What's the basis for the general consensus that the entire cast is coming back sans Saito, horribly realistic considering a lot of shows with far less time off can't even manage that.

Best bet is to see who voiced the characters on the RK PSP game and even than that's no sure bet. The only lock imo is Kenshin's voice, everyone else is up for grabs.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 08:38   Link #107
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Could've sworn I read earlier in this thread that the PSP game voices were the same as those in the anime, excepting Saitou of course. I'll re-read that part of the thread and see, I could be mistaken.

And by all means, if I've got anything wrong or inaccurate in my assessment please point it out to me. I'm really striving to keep the facts and speculations in order here so people don't get too hyped up over what we know for sure and what we're all just guessing about.

Edit: Went back and found Endless Twilight's comment on the PSP game voices which was:

Quote:
But the rest I definitely want to reprise their roles and after hearing them in the PSP game, I'm sure the main ones will.
I will endeavor to find a full voice casting list for the PSP game and post it if/when I find it, though, for accuracy's sake.

Last edited by DJLowrider; 2011-04-19 at 08:42. Reason: Looked up earlier comment on the PSP game's voicing
DJLowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 09:45   Link #108
tsunade666

I thought I was seeing things when I see the name of the thread so I ignore it. But now that I'm looking at it. Man! greatest news I heard so far for this past long tiresome days.

But only 2 points are certain and still full of speculations. I will wait for further news.
Old 2011-04-19, 11:00   Link #109
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLowrider View Post
Could've sworn I read earlier in this thread that the PSP game voices were the same as those in the anime, excepting Saitou of course. I'll re-read that part of the thread and see, I could be mistaken.

And by all means, if I've got anything wrong or inaccurate in my assessment please point it out to me. I'm really striving to keep the facts and speculations in order here so people don't get too hyped up over what we know for sure and what we're all just guessing about.

Edit: Went back and found Endless Twilight's comment on the PSP game voices which was:

I will endeavor to find a full voice casting list for the PSP game and post it if/when I find it, though, for accuracy's sake.
Actually, even Saito had the same voice in the PSP game, since they just went and re-used Hirotaka Suzuoki's old voice samples.

But yeah, I've actually played the game (admittedly not for very long because it wasn't very good), and all of my favourites had their original voice actors, so I just assumed it was the case for everyone, but who knows there might be some exceptions. I didn't play as Kaoru for one.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 11:15   Link #110
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
I'm predicting something like a Katanagatari release (12 hour long OVAs) as a best case scenario...
Katanagatari isn't a OVA, it's a TV series aired on Fuji TV, even the duration of the twelve episodes each is one-hour.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 11:19   Link #111
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLowrider View Post
A lot of people already seem to have their hearts set on this being a TV series remake, which is totally understandable, though i feel sorry for them if the actual format is a new OVA for movie.
Old 2011-04-19, 11:35   Link #112
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
A lot of people already seem to have their hearts set on this being a TV series remake, which is totally understandable, though i feel sorry for them if the actual format is a new OVA for movie.
I'm not assuming anything, although I'm certainly of the opinion that a TV series is by far the best option. I would be very disappointed if it turns out to be an OVA or movie (though ultimately that's sure better than nothing). I'm not crazy about the OVA format generally for telling big stories - the wait between releases lessens the dramatic impact, for one. I also think it's impossible to give Jinchu the space it needs without at least a two-cour TV. It's not that I expect it - it's that I hope it will happen.

It would be interesting to compare RK to FMA and Inuyasha as a possible clue as to what might be coming. Total value of the franchise, manga & DVD sales, tie-ins, etc. I honestly have no idea, though I would bet that RK sold more manga in the West than either of those other two series, certainly in average per volume.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 14:49   Link #113
Sage Shinigami

Send a message via AIM to Sage Shinigami Send a message via Yahoo to Sage Shinigami
Quote:
Taking the filler episodes out of the Tokyo arc would mean that Kyoto ends at around 54, you don't need 46 episodes for the Jinchuu arc. They can also seriously tighten up the pace of the Kyoto arcs if they wanted to....

People asking for 70+ episodes are dreaming, Inuyasha was lucky to get 26 episodes to finish off adapting a massive amount of manga.... you also have to factor in time slots and which of them will even allow something longer than 2 cour.

Inuyasha ≠ Rurouni Kenshin, to start. You're leaving out some fators, some logical, some illogical, that lead to people's expectations being somewhat realistic.

1.) The Japanese LOVE nostalgia, and Rurouni Kenshin just had it's 15th anniversary.

2.) Remakes are in. Inuyasha got a "finishing", FMA: Brotherhood got a completely new series, and Dragon Ball Kai got canceled, but it DID run 97 episodes. (I'm guessing it was canceled either because of people's irrational love for that terrible original version, or because they didn't update the animation like they did in the opening.)

3.) Anime's not selling like it used to. But you know what does? Nostalgia. An updated version of Kenshin would draw both old fans and newbies, and not just otaku-bait because Kenshin's kinda memorable and not just moeblob/harem/whatever.

That said, yeah...it COULD be an OVA. Hope not though. I don't want an OVA and the original series was very good to begin with, so if this is a movie or OVA, I'll pretend it doesn't exist and so will everyone else.
Sage Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 14:52   Link #114
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I'm not assuming anything
I never said people are assuming.

Quote:
and Dragon Ball Kai got canceled, but it DID run 97 episodes. (I'm guessing it was canceled either because of people's irrational love for that terrible original version, or because they didn't update the animation like they did in the opening.)
Technically Kai was never cancelled, because a set episode count, or the fact that it would cover the whole story was never announced, though the most obvious one was that Toriko, a current strong shounen with a young fanbase would be better off with the timeslot. Also there were piracy problems with the shows score that came to light towards the end of it's run, so that didn't help.
Old 2011-04-19, 15:24   Link #115
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

I don't watch shows or play games like that. I marathon them until they're done. That's how I do things, and that's why fifty-plus episode series are bad for me.

And I am not such an anime addict that I watch awful shows, rofl. If there's nothing good airing, I'll go play video games. Or do homework. Or watch American TV. I won't intentionally watch bad shows just because that's all there is.

I do think Kenshin's worth a rewatch and I wish I still had my discs, honestly, so I could do a rewatch. Minus the filler episodes, of course.

The way I feel about 50+ episode anime is pretty similar to how I feel about certain RPGs. For example, I love Dragon Age: Origins, wonderful game, possibly one of my all-time favorites. But it's enormous. It's a big undertaking to play it through from start to finish. Sometimes that just doesn't work for me. Shorter, more bite-sized games (or shows) are easiest to shoehorn in.
Old 2011-04-19, 22:46   Link #116
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
So I see this title... and go I go "Huh? This can't be right..."

but damn, if this is true... well, honestly, I fear for it. Why? First off, the original anime is an absolute classic. It ranks up there with NGE and several others as being a classic anime (each for different reasons, but nonetheless, classic anime that any fan should see at some point in time). However... I'm noting that a lot of anime is going downhill these days. You might have one or two gems a season, and even those generally only last 13 episodes. If RK gets an adaptation in this day and age... there are so many ways it can be screwed up that would make people RAGE. So, while it would be awesome to see and update to it... it would have to be done absolutely right. The studio that's going to be doing this series will be walking a razor-thin line

And I'm curious- I'm still working on the Tokyo arc in the manga, and have only seen the first anime from beginning to end. I assume that the Jinchuu arc is the very last arc, where (and I'm not using spoiler tags, since every here seems to know what I'll be talking about) Kaoru is kidnapped and thought to be dead for a period of time? (I may not have read the manga, but I've spoiled myself on wiki)

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 23:37   Link #117
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I would recommend you still use spoiler tags, and discuss that last topic on the manga thread at that. Don't make any assumptions about what people do and don't know.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 02:50   Link #118
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Hope as well that they'll follow the manga.
And hope that they won't screw it...
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 06:13   Link #119
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
3.) Anime's not selling like it used to.
In Japan it's selling as well as it ever has, and the industry is making even more money as a whole due to the increase in movies.
Old 2011-04-25, 02:55   Link #120
ditn

Whats this a Rurouni Kenshin remake/ova,i can't believe it after 15 years!!
I had hoped something like this would happen with the new game but i never actually tought it would happen.
I just hope they do justice to it

/faints
ditn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, historical, shounen