AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-11-10, 00:47   Link #41
Pepperidge
Dissatisfied Canadian

Send a message via AIM to Pepperidge Send a message via MSN to Pepperidge
... I just realized that I posted this message in the wrong thread, lol. I meant to put it in the Anime Industry thread. I'll post my reply in that thread.

For this topic, I was just going to say that everything that could've gone wrong with Kare Kano pretty much did.
Pepperidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 00:52   Link #42
Pepperidge
Dissatisfied Canadian

Send a message via AIM to Pepperidge Send a message via MSN to Pepperidge
EDIT: Is there no way to delete messages?
Pepperidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 02:42   Link #43
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
"Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou" ran on Fridays at 18:30-19:00. Despite being on a golden time slot, it only managed to get an average MR viewer rating of 5.3%...which is considered "a flop" for a show airing on that time slot.
That may be a flop for that time slot, but it's pretty good for an anime. Those that don't hit it big seem to pull in 2-3% on average. Besides, I thought that it started off a lot stronger than that (12-14%, similar to what One Piece can pull in on a good week), and then began to collapse after Anno stopped directing, around episode 15 or 16. I wonder if there's anywhere that tracks details like that. Historically, I mean. I know there are places that have data for the current stuff.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 09:19   Link #44
IntrepidAKP
...Woah!

Man, the Japanese don't know what's up. Kare Kano is a masterpiece IMO even with the slack episodes. I so wish they would continue this. Even if I read the manga, it won't be quite the same without all the music and the voice acting. It added so much atmosphere.
IntrepidAKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 09:47   Link #45
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidAKP
Man, the Japanese don't know what's up. Kare Kano is a masterpiece IMO even with the slack episodes. I so wish they would continue this. Even if I read the manga, it won't be quite the same without all the music and the voice acting. It added so much atmosphere.
Well... Buy the soundtracks and listen to them while reading the mangas. As for the voices, I always have some concept of what the characters sound like while I'm reading a manga. Even if there's never been a drama album or animated series, I always have a rough idea of what the characters sound like through their dialogue.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 10:20   Link #46
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj
That may be a flop for that time slot, but it's pretty good for an anime. Those that don't hit it big seem to pull in 2-3% on average. Besides, I thought that it started off a lot stronger than that (12-14%, similar to what One Piece can pull in on a good week), and then began to collapse after Anno stopped directing, around episode 15 or 16. I wonder if there's anywhere that tracks details like that. Historically, I mean. I know there are places that have data for the current stuff.
"KareKano" had a MR max of 6.5%, a min of 3.0%. It never got over 10%.

Anno Hideaki directed KareKano throughout the series with the exception of episodes 14, 15, 19, 24 and 25.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 16:00   Link #47
Miyuri

too bad the ratings were bad.....i was very upset for awhile when i discovered that they had stop producing it ......they left u hanging and telling u that it WILL continue...which is a bad lie!!!!
Miyuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 17:28   Link #48
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Did the Manga finish or is it still going on? In the US they are still on the Tsusaba and her Brother Arc.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 19:03   Link #49
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin
Did the Manga finish or is it still going on? In the US they are still on the Tsusaba and her Brother Arc.
The end of the latest volume shows where

Spoiler:
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 20:22   Link #50
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Yikes! Now if that only made it to the Anime . It's not going to become another Elfen Lied is it?
Old 2004-11-12, 00:00   Link #51
TerryMathews

I've watched all the anime, and I've got all 12 volumes that Tokyopop has translated thus far. That said, my thoughts having relatively objectively watched Kare Kano from GAINAX (I liked/loved EVA and FLCL so I'm not biased against) are that the fact that the anime didn't flop completely are due in no small part to Tsuda-san's above-average writing ability. Let's be honest here - GAINAX really bungled the anime translation of Kare Kano. The first couple episodes were good (I hesitate to use great), but the series quickly goes downhill - and material certainly isn't the problem.

I know I've read that part of the problem supposedly was that the manga wasn't complete for the episodes to be based off of, and I call shennagians on that. I seriously doubt that Tsuda-san and her publisher misrepresented the state of Kare Kano to GAINAX before production started - after all with 18+ volumes Tsuda stands to make far more money from publication that licensing.

The cardboard cutout episode IMO was the lowest point for GAINAX. If I were Tsuda, at that point I would personally have never again allowed GAINAX to work with my products. Maybe my viewpoint is skewed since I'm an American, but to me that episode was one of the lowest-production quality episodes in recent GAINAX history.

The whole story reads well, Tsuda-san's sidebars about her life are interesting, and she comes up with relatively interesting plot devices, rehashed or not. The most-of-one-volume spent on the school play was IMO a very unique touch - how many manga's spend several chapters on a sideplot like that? It helps too that so many of the characters are mostly fleshed-out. You don't end up with two or three main characters and then some window dressing; it's not just Yukino and Arima you read about, and that's what keeps it fresh.
TerryMathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-21, 21:58   Link #52
mystircal

just want to drop a quickies note that RightStuff Intl. are selling KareKano complete DVD box set for $40 on their homepage under their "Weekly Specials". Shipping is kinda slow for me but product come in excellent shape.
mystircal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-21, 23:19   Link #53
IntrepidAKP
...Woah!

Thanks for the heads up. My god thats a great price. Time to replace that, um hum, bootleg I got.
IntrepidAKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-21, 13:10   Link #54
NarutoHead

Send a message via AIM to NarutoHead
lol the first guy quit aroud episode 14??

yeah you can tell. I felt after the 1 season 12-13 episodes, the anime dragged on, half of it was then recaps and man.

the ending too, i'm sure you've ben spoiled by now but it's a complete non ending. What the hell happened.

either way, I did enjoy this anime, I thought a 14 episode would have suited it better.

How does the Manga compare to the begening parts of the anime? Was it the original writer that quit halfway through the anime??

Either way, unless they release it here, I'll never get to see it
NarutoHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-21, 13:38   Link #55
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Release what here? It's already R1 and you can get it at RightStuf for $40 or less if you go Ebay.

Or did you mean as a Torrent? If so, no way...in fact if you notice a BUNCH of torrents just shut down over the weekend.
Old 2006-02-09, 16:08   Link #56
SirWence
~Connoisseur~

Kare Kano Question

Forgive me if this question has been asked many times , but ive seen the Kare Kano anime (and read all the of the manga up to 18 .. ) And I was merely curious if anyone has herd anything about the author maybe allowing the Anime to be finished it seems a shame to leave such a good anime incomplete. Well thank you in advance
Old 2006-02-09, 18:26   Link #57
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Nothing so far. Unless Gainax makes up with that director.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2006-02-10, 00:47   Link #58
SirWence
~Connoisseur~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin
Nothing so far. Unless Gainax makes up with that director.
Indeed , but I can always hope heh. do you think that there is a real chance that , that would ever happen though. I would stake my chances on another studio redoing it entirely before Gainax makes up with anyone..

Edit:
Spoiler:

Last edited by SirWence; 2006-02-11 at 19:15.
SirWence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 19:54   Link #59
Tempestuousfury
Continually amazed

Send a message via AIM to Tempestuousfury
His and Her Circumstances

I was told by "Biswa" that it had a very inconclusive ending, since it was by the same guy as Evangelion, but, I never finished that, and I was a bit skeptical... However: *ROAR* There was so much potential, and it was wasted on such a crappy ending!!!! Hell, the ending wasn't even about the main characters, for the most part.

**This thread is made partly for ranting, and partly in hopes that some of you might share my sentiments/ wish to comment.
Tempestuousfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 20:23   Link #60
Noodlehead
Noodlehead is not edible.

Shouldn't this be under "Liscensed Anime"?

In any case, go read the manga. The anime wasn't supposed to be conclusive anyway. You could say that it was more of an "extended promotional video" divided into 26 episodes to encourage people to read the manga. The series itself follows the manga extremely faithfully, so to find out what happened after the series, you could just pick up the 8th volume and start immediately from there. The manga ended in Japan last year (at its 21st or 22nd volume, I believe), and Tokyopop's volume 19 is coming out in April. Happy reading.

~ Noodlehead
Noodlehead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, romance, school life, shojo