AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-16, 00:07   Link #21
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedicardi View Post
I just wonder why she uses such an odd drum kit. I have honestly not seen any kits that use only two toms like that. I'm sure they exist, but I can't see why some one would choose such a small kit like that when a 3 cymbal, 3 tom kit is much more versatile.

I suppose since it's small, it highlights the character a bit more, but it seems very odd to me no matter how you look at it.
Maybe back when Ritsu got her drum kit, she was still quite small so she doesn't mind that (maybe she even purposely chose it).

Now she got used to it and don't want a new one, or hasn't have a chance (and money) to buy a new set yet
Old 2009-04-16, 00:37   Link #22
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
I just wonder why she uses such an odd drum kit. I have honestly not seen any kits that use only two toms like that. I'm sure they exist, but I can't see why some one would choose such a small kit like that when a 3 cymbal, 3 tom kit is much more versatile.

I suppose since it's small, it highlights the character a bit more, but it seems very odd to me no matter how you look at it.
This is the drum set that Ritsu is using, to the best of my knowledge and extent of my personal research.

If you scroll down to the bottom of that page, it says that you CAN add a third tom to the whole setup. So yeah.
Old 2009-04-16, 00:41   Link #23
Amber.Dawn

Judging from the two posts above, it seems that she personally prefers to have two over three of them.
Old 2009-04-16, 00:50   Link #24
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

Well the thing is that the third tom wouldn't really be "added" because it would be floor tom!

From the link provided by ascaloth, we can see that this kit is capable of more than you'd expect, but it is also pretty expensive. You have to wonder why she chose that specific kit over a standard one.

You can rule out what risingstar said, as Ritsu mentions in episode 2 that the drum kit she currently has is one that she saved up for, that it was her 2nd drum kit, and was a "used" kit. The fact that it's used makes the fact that she has such an expensive kit more viable and realistic, but it also proves that she chose the kit on purpose instead of just getting whatever was cheap and sticking with it.

I have a feeling that she chose it for size and portability reasons, but we'd have to really hear from Ritsu herself as to why she chose it to be sure. I am just wondering why no one else in the band has brought it up yet.
Old 2009-04-16, 00:59   Link #25
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Considering the lack of knowledge the band has, I doubt they've even know to bring it up.
Old 2009-04-16, 01:03   Link #26
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

Perhaps you have a point. Even if one of them did think it was odd, perhaps they wouldn't be as curious as me and just not care XD

I wouldn't say they have a lack of knowledge though. When they quizzed Yui in episode 1, they brought up jeff beck. If you know about jeff beck, you know a lot about (rock) music and instruments.
Old 2009-04-16, 01:18   Link #27
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Perhaps you have a point. Even if one of them did think it was odd, perhaps they wouldn't be as curious as me and just not care XD

I wouldn't say they have a lack of knowledge though. When they quizzed Yui in episode 1, they brought up jeff beck. If you know about jeff beck, you know a lot about (rock) music and instruments.
Mio mentioned Jeff Beck. She probably also knows why Ritsu chose that particular drum set. As the flashback showed, Mio was there with Ritsu when she made the shop assistant cry.

I suspect the portability and size is the primary reason. Considering the size of the average Japanese home and Ritsu's lack of a roadie, I would imagine that space considerations would be important.
Old 2009-04-16, 01:54   Link #28
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

Ah, I forgot that Mio was the only one of the 4 that actually knew who he was. Perhaps she is the only true rock/music enthusiast of the group.

But yes, the size probably does have a lot to do with the choice.
Old 2009-04-16, 02:23   Link #29
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Ritsu also knew about Jeff Beck, seeing as she goes 'Ooh' and 'Aah'...
Old 2009-04-16, 02:35   Link #30
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
You can rule out what risingstar said, as Ritsu mentions in episode 2 that the drum kit she currently has is one that she saved up for, that it was her 2nd drum kit, and was a "used" kit. The fact that it's used makes the fact that she has such an expensive kit more viable and realistic, but it also proves that she chose the kit on purpose instead of just getting whatever was cheap and sticking with it.

I have a feeling that she chose it for size and portability reasons, but we'd have to really hear from Ritsu herself as to why she chose it to be sure. I am just wondering why no one else in the band has brought it up yet.
I doubt if she could have that much knowledge and be able to access to such a wide range of drum kit when she's in that age. (unless her parent is also a musician)

More like she wants to buy one, get to the local instrumental (or 2nd hand) shop with Mio and choose the one she like within her budget.
Old 2009-04-16, 02:49   Link #31
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmeister View Post
Ritsu also knew about Jeff Beck, seeing as she goes 'Ooh' and 'Aah'...
But wasn't she the one who asked who jeff beck was/why he was famous (which was followed by the "there are two types of guitar players" line)? Or am I thinking of Tsumugi? Oh well. I can't be arsed to go back and check XD

Quote:
I doubt if she could have that much knowledge and be able to access to such a wide range of drum kit when she's in that age. (unless her parent is also a musician)

More like she wants to buy one, get to the local instrumental (or 2nd hand) shop with Mio and choose the one she like within her budget.
A lot of what Ritsu said in episode 2 contradicts this though, doesn't it? I remember her saying that it was her 2nd kit, and that she had her eyes on it for along time (which would infer she had seen more than one kit etc).

Again, I could be wrong. My memory isn't that great.
Old 2009-04-16, 03:25   Link #32
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Yeah, it was Tsumugi (who is a classically trained pianist from what she said in episode 2).
Old 2009-04-16, 04:27   Link #33
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

I'm not sure if that is her second set, but the one referenced in that scene was a second-hand (used) drum set. Mio says that she thought a lot before choosing her bass. Then Ritsu says, "Atashi mo," ("Me too,") and states that she bargained hard for that second-hand drum set. She also says that she really wanted that set.
Old 2009-04-16, 09:24   Link #34
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmeister View Post
Yeah, it was Tsumugi (who is a classically trained pianist from what she said in episode 2).
Damn, I hate being wrong XD
Old 2009-04-18, 12:54   Link #35
5cm.per.second
SunnyEnvironmentGoneWrong

I like her dynamic room entrance lol. I was wondering if the characters use the same instruments as the musicians they got their names from. I don't know what instruments P-model uses, but it would be cool if they were the same.
Old 2009-04-18, 20:35   Link #36
Principalities

Yup her impressions were first class! Ritsu really shines in episode 3.
Old 2009-04-19, 02:09   Link #37
RhapsodyInBlue
lolwut?

Ritsu is awesome!

Too bad she's not that popular compared to the other three girls.
Old 2009-04-19, 04:36   Link #38
5cm.per.second

I will say this, she's the reason why I'll re-watch an episode. Her scenes are the most entertaining.
Old 2009-04-19, 05:09   Link #39
Principalities

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cm.per.second View Post
I will say this, she's the reason why I'll re-watch an episode. Her scenes are the most entertaining.
Agreed. Many laugh out loud moments to be had!

She is a more important member than most people give credit for. After all, without Ritsu there wouldn't BE a K-ON club in the first place.
Old 2009-04-19, 08:20   Link #40
5cm.per.second

For anyone that has a friend like her knows, that the most fun things your group does is because of them and their ideas. They keep things from being boring and routine.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters