AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2022-01-09, 22:18   Link #21
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I'll give the main character this...she's in fantastic shape . Regardless of debates over her weight she can still pull off some impressive gymnastics while walking home.

This situation does seem mostly on the school. If the school got rid of required uniforms I could maybe see them not outright saying anything at the interview. But if they changed requirements I'm kind of surprised no one thought "yeah I should probably say something here". Or at the very least the requirements for uniforms should have been in some kind of educational package. Sure having students and parents check things isn't crazy, but things like that should probably be communicated.

At least she got clearance to wear it. Would have been a real mess to get a different uniform now and pretty heart breaking for the MC. Although certainly there's discomfort in standing out that much. But she did put all that effort in to wear that and it'd be especially tough to not wear it with the amount of work her mother put into making it.

Definitely the visual direction stands out. Whether it's great or not, I'm not entirely sure. But it definitely stands out.
Old 2022-01-10, 10:03   Link #22
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I'll give the main character this...she's in fantastic shape . Regardless of debates over her weight she can still pull off some impressive gymnastics while walking home.
Akebi-chan's athleticism is a big feature of the manga -- that sequence at the beginning of the first episode of the anime where she performs the gymnastic somersault takes up 17 whole pages in the manga before she ends up in the water channel. There are plenty more sequences like that as the manga progresses. The mangaka likes to show off his draftsmanship sometimes.
Old 2022-01-10, 11:35   Link #23
HandofFate

is making your own uniform from scratch something that's actually done? Haven't seen that before.
I thought there was like a uniform store or something lol
Old 2022-01-10, 13:24   Link #24
BWTraveller
Born to ship

That's how it's usually done. But I guess if it fits regulations then they'll also allow handmade uniforms. It's not like you CAN'T make identical clothes yourself.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-10, 17:14   Link #25
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
is making your own uniform from scratch something that's actually done? Haven't seen that before.
I thought there was like a uniform store or something lol
The point of uniforms is so that you can unify what people wear, so letting people make their own uniforms which can lead to inconsistencies is... needless to say.
Now if this was a sewing school or something, then you could say this was a test for the students, but it isn't, so it stands as just a convenient setting that let's the protagonist stand out without looking like an idiot. In exchange, the teachers look like idiots for not saying anything during the interview, but anything so the protagonist doesn't look like one.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-11, 00:09   Link #26
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Like I said, it's a matter of whether it's to standard. If they can make one that matches the regulation standards then it's OK. Or at least it's OK here.

On a different note, anyone have any clue when the opening single, "Hajimari no Setsuna" might come out? I'd really like to hear the full-length version.
Old 2022-01-15, 18:01   Link #27
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Other than the visuals, this doesn't have much going for it yet as far as slice of life goes. Komichi's introduction was really embarrassing. And not just because she flashed her panties (they're all girls, who cares?), everything about it was cringey. Between the uniform and this, she would have normally become a laughingstock and remain shunned for the rest of her school life.
Old 2022-01-15, 18:46   Link #28
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
she would have normally become a laughingstock and remain shunned for the rest of her school life.
The thing is, she has the looks. She's the beautiful-looking kid in the class that everyone wants to be friends with no matter what dumb shit she does or talks about.
Old 2022-01-15, 19:15   Link #29
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
The thing is, she has the looks. She's the beautiful-looking kid in the class that everyone wants to be friends with no matter what dumb shit she does or talks about.
To me, that makes her even more likely to get picked on. It just isn't that kind of series, that's all.
Old 2022-01-15, 20:27   Link #30
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I really liked Episode 2 of this. Yeah, it's a little bit silly, but that's a big part of the show's entertainment value, imo.

Plus, that one girl was kinda taking advantage of Komichi, sweet-talking Komichi into doing silly things to be amused by. So Komichi is in fact getting a bit of "class clown" treatment.

Komichi is amusing, friendly, outgoing, and physically attractive... why wouldn't she be popular?
Old 2022-01-16, 00:54   Link #31
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Like I said, it's a matter of whether it's to standard. If they can make one that matches the regulation standards then it's OK. Or at least it's OK here.
Yep, in the US where I live at least many schools will in fact let you sew your own uniforms. My mom did for both my elementary and middle school uniforms. The designated shop that sold the uniforms for my schools also sold the bare yardage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I really liked Episode 2 of this. Yeah, it's a little bit silly, but that's a big part of the show's entertainment value, imo.

Plus, that one girl was kinda taking advantage of Komichi, sweet-talking Komichi into doing silly things to be amused by. So Komichi is in fact getting a bit of "class clown" treatment.

Komichi is amusing, friendly, outgoing, and physically attractive... why wouldn't she be popular?
I'd certainly hang out with her. Seems like a lot of fun to be around and doesn't look like of one of those people that will smile in your face and then stab you in the back.
Old 2022-01-16, 07:44   Link #32
nojay
Scanlator

According to the credits page at Animenewsnetwork, the OP is sung by "Rōbai Gakuen Chūtō-bu 1-nen 3-kumi" i.e. all sixteen seiyuus who play the parts of the sixteen girls in class 1-3 of Roubai Academy's middle school.
Old 2022-01-16, 21:12   Link #33
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Between the uniform and this, she would have normally become a laughingstock and remain shunned for the rest of her school life.
Yeah, she's lucky she lives in an anime that doesn't touch that icky stuff, or she'd have been finished by now.

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2022-01-16, 22:30   Link #34
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I suppose it's not a surprise that none of these characters get how a hair net is supposed to work. Might as well give them baseball caps for as useful as they are like that.

The girl definitely would be doomed in a less cheerful series. Everything set up for some bullying. But she'll be fine. Even with all the weirdness about her she's still bringing in the popularity.

If nothing else...there's definitely memorable stuff about this show. It's not bad. Not sure if I'll keep up with it. But it's been pretty ok to start.
Old 2022-01-17, 05:04   Link #35
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep2:
Spoiler for Classmates:
Old 2022-01-17, 08:35   Link #36
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Well, some play a bigger role than others, but I'm pretty sure most if not all will have at least a fair part with some real attention to their characters.
Old 2022-01-17, 10:20   Link #37
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Well, some play a bigger role than others, but I'm pretty sure most if not all will have at least a fair part with some real attention to their characters.
The manga is up to around 60 chapters and not all of the class has been showcased interacting directly with Hyper-Genki Girl Akebi-chan, although they've been shown in the background here and there.

The first two anime episodes cover the first six chapters of the manga pretty much frame for frame, so assuming a 12-episode cour we might reach 35 chapters or so. There's a beach/hot-springs episode around that point so we might get to see Akebi-mom in a bikini. BTW Akebi-dad in beach shorts is not bad looking either.
Old 2022-01-17, 19:49   Link #38
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Yep, in the US where I live at least many schools will in fact let you sew your own uniforms. My mom did for both my elementary and middle school uniforms. The designated shop that sold the uniforms for my schools also sold the bare yardage.
But a reason is surely necessary for making your own uniform rather than buying it? Saving money would be a convincing reason, but wasn't mentioned in the show; tailoring it to fit a little better doesn't seem adequate to me. Sailor uniforms certainly have a great nostalgic association with happy school days, school anime, schoolgirl hentai, etc, but I understand they're going out of fashion with students in Japan. Nostalgia sells, but this is too contrived and undistinguished, apart from the shiny artwork. I agree with Triple_R that faces are weird, and with Kanon that this doesn't have much going for it without a notable premise, interesting presentation, or appealing individual characters. The uniform change premise is especially contrived, sickly sentimental and shaded with 'respect your mother's hard work' propaganda.

Last edited by Ghostfriendly; 2022-01-17 at 20:01.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-17, 21:01   Link #39
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
But a reason is surely necessary for making your own uniform rather than buying it? Saving money would be a convincing reason, but wasn't mentioned in the show; tailoring it to fit a little better doesn't seem adequate to me. Sailor uniforms certainly have a great nostalgic association with happy school days, school anime, schoolgirl hentai, etc, but I understand they're going out of fashion with students in Japan. Nostalgia sells, but this is too contrived and undistinguished, apart from the shiny artwork. I agree with Triple_R that faces are weird, and with Kanon that this doesn't have much going for it without a notable premise, interesting presentation, or appealing individual characters. The uniform change premise is especially contrived, sickly sentimental and shaded with 'respect your mother's hard work' propaganda.
While people could come up with a good reason for why they could make their own uniforms, the fact is that the girl said she wanted to come to the school to wear sailor uniforms and no one corrected her, which is simply impossible.
So it is natural to think that not much thought was put into why the school allows making your own uniforms, and simply there along with the above to allow her to "stand out" as a character without making her look stupid.

Old 2022-01-17, 21:55   Link #40
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
It's not a matter of saving money or anything like that. It's not outright stated but it's made pretty clear that Akebi's mother's work involves clothes or fashion. She mentions that she'd always admired her mother's work while we see her making the uniform. I'd say it's very obvious that she didn't make the uniform for monetary purposes or any other "practical" reason. She made it because her daughter wanted to wear a uniform her mother made, designed to match the one her mother wore.

Uniform change isn't all that unusual, especially over long periods of time. I'm pretty sure sailor uniforms have become a little less common these days. They're not as fetishized, nor as questionable, as bloomers, and so they haven't been universally abolished, but blazers do seem more common and "modern".

As for the premise that she wasn't informed, yes, the author did make one fair sized leap in order to make the story. But this's the only spot that's that contrived in my opinion. And it's helped by such aspects as the fact that she lives far away from there, so if they were too surprised or bemused to tell her at the time of the interview they might have lost the chance, and she wouldn't have come across the students on the street or anything. Yes, it's still far-fetched; you'd think she'd at least read a brochure or something. But again it's a small stretch at the very beginning, so I'm able to dismiss it.

As for "appealing individual characters", personally I find them quite appealing. Just give the show time and get to know them, and I bet you'll find them plenty interesting and appealing.

Tags
comedy, iyashikei