Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-08-20, 05:23   Link #421
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
When they starts putting the title on foodstuffs and snacks, that when you know a series had gone mainstream and starts to lose it's lustre.....
One other TV series that's been around since '95 probably has the most merchandise -- even bottled wine -- than any other to date, and yet has not lost to time: Eva.

It still remains, however, to see if PMMM could outlast this decade.
Old 2011-08-20, 07:45   Link #422
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
One other TV series that's been around since '95 probably has the most merchandise -- even bottled wine -- than any other to date, and yet has not lost to time: Eva.
That title rightly belongs to the original Mobile Suit Gundam after you combined what it and it's successors spawned.

However, I don't believe Madoka was ever written with the intention to sell anything in mind.

Last edited by MakubeX2; 2011-08-20 at 07:55.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 04:10   Link #423
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Quote:
However, I don't believe Madoka was ever written with the intention to sell anything in mind.
hahaha sure.

Shaft just created a heavily commercialized Magical Girl series filled with flashy costume designs solely to deliver a philosophical message. Making a profit was never part of their plan.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 04:31   Link #424
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Quote:
That title rightly belongs to the original Mobile Suit Gundam after you combined what it and it's successors spawned.

yeah. LOL. but it did.
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 04:33   Link #425
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
hahaha sure.

Shaft just created a heavily commercialized Magical Girl series filled with flashy costume designs solely to deliver a philosophical message. Making a profit was never part of their plan.
Well, I don't see much annoucements for merchandise during it's airing. Did you ? Apart from the usual DVD/BD/mangas, Where was the annoucement for the toys, novels, artbooks, etc during Winter '11 ?

The flood gate opened only after it's suddenly becomes the talk of the town. You'll see this once in a while.
Old 2011-08-21, 05:47   Link #426
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Quote:
Well, I don't see much annoucements for merchandise during it's airing. Did you ? Apart from the usual DVD/BD/mangas, Where was the annoucement for the toys, novels, artbooks, etc during Winter '11 ?

The flood gate opened only after it's suddenly becomes the talk of the town. You'll see this once in a while.
The fact something is an experimental new IP and not immediately pre-planned as an enormous franchise doesn't mean it wasn't made with marketability in mind.

You'll see this more often.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 05:57   Link #427
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
You'll see this more often.
I've already seen a similar case with Haruhi in '06 and Lucky Star in '07.

To some lesser extent with Higurashi in '07 and Spice and Wolf in '08
Old 2011-08-22, 21:16   Link #428
*Osaka*Fan*

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...ale-next-month

This is worded a little strangely. Does this mean the book will be open for pre-order in September, or that's when they'll ship out? Can we expect to see these on the regular hobby sites?
*Osaka*Fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 06:24   Link #429
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:

For whatever it's worth,from a febuary interview with Urobuchi and Aoki

Quote:
Q: Does that mean that you two didn't think much on what kind of target audience you want to base on as a genre of 'mahou shoujo'?

Urobuchi: Well, since it is late-night animation, we never thought of the target audience. If it was more about selling toys and stuffs, we already had the final meeting on weapon which will be first to be worked on. In case of props design, it was being planned right until the deadline , which is simply not acceptable if it was project that focuses on merchandise.

Aoki: Indeed. Rather than targeting something, I was more aware of not changing it a lot from the start. If I try to make design fit with Urobuchi's script, the key point of this entire project might have been ruined. What we first asked was that it will be much enjoyable to work individually with individuality, so I worked thinking 'let's do it Aoki-like.'

Urobuchi: Shinbo also said that we shouldn't think a lot of target, but just make something fun. How unrestricted it is!...(laugh)
Old 2011-08-25, 22:23   Link #430
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

For those who haven't seen BD episode 9 yet, a TV/BD comparison of the Oktavia fight. Not really any drastic changes, but some of them look better and are smoother.

Old 2011-08-27, 03:38   Link #431
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riga92 View Post
For those who haven't seen BD episode 9 yet, a TV/BD comparison of the Oktavia fight. Not really any drastic changes, but some of them look better and are smoother.

The big spear come out in BD looks nice...i can almost see the gundam-like attack that can come anytime.
Scarletknive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-27, 04:35   Link #432
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Old 2011-08-30, 08:08   Link #433
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Volume 5 only sold 50,596. Honestly I thought for sure it'll be at least 53,000 since it contains episodes 10. The fact that it's lower than 3 and 4 makes me think the Madoka buzz is starting to fade.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 08:17   Link #434
Animexcel

I think 50,596 compared to 53,000 is still pretty darn good if you ask me.
Animexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 08:42   Link #435
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animexcel View Post
I think 50,596 compared to 53,000 is still pretty darn good if you ask me.
The problem is the fact EVERYONE thought it would beat Bake and it's sales which I believe is a lower than 80,000. I mean Madoka right now is lingering around 70,000 and is starting to slip.

The more I think about it, this feels a lot like first world problems. Madoka fans: "It's not going to break the 80,000 mark!!", Others:"My anime only sold 883 copies!!"
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 19:25   Link #436
Animexcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
The problem is the fact EVERYONE thought it would beat Bake and it's sales which I believe is a lower than 80,000. I mean Madoka right now is lingering around 70,000 and is starting to slip.

The more I think about it, this feels a lot like first world problems. Madoka fans: "It's not going to break the 80,000 mark!!", Others:"My anime only sold 883 copies!!"
Why is it important that Madoka beat Bake in sales?
Everyone didn't think that there is one more volume of Madoka to be released. Let's see how that one does.
Animexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-31, 03:25   Link #437
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

So Madoka isn't going to be SHAFT's #1 smash hit. Who cares? It's still selling roughly ten times above average level, isn't it? Sales of 50,000+ units per volume are still nothing short of fantastic. Plenty of other shows can only wish to do this well.

I see a few factors playing here:
1. Bakemonogatari was completely different stuff than Madoka (mystery, supernatural and romance vs Magical Girl);
2. Madoka is anime original. Original anime tend to be very unpredictable, even more so for a Magical Girl show.

And there are probably others as well.

Either way, is Madoka's 'lower-than-expected' sales something for the producing team to be ashamed about? Hell no. The show's Blu-Rays are still selling like hotcakes and I'm sure the merchandise will only help boost these figures even more. It may not be THE best-selling anime of all time, but it's ranking pretty high anyway, compared to other shows.
Old 2011-08-31, 08:25   Link #438
Jimmy C

If the break even point of disc sales is 3000 per volume, then Madoka vol 1 already paid for the whole series 3 times over in its first week of sales. Heck, it paid off the series on its very first day.
At this point, disc sales for this series are pure profit for SHAFT.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-01, 05:21   Link #439
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
So Madoka isn't going to be SHAFT's #1 smash hit. Who cares? It's still selling roughly ten times above average level, isn't it? Sales of 50,000+ units per volume are still nothing short of fantastic. Plenty of other shows can only wish to do this well.

I see a few factors playing here:
1. Bakemonogatari was completely different stuff than Madoka (mystery, supernatural and romance vs Magical Girl);
2. Madoka is anime original. Original anime tend to be very unpredictable, even more so for a Magical Girl show.

And there are probably others as well.

Either way, is Madoka's 'lower-than-expected' sales something for the producing team to be ashamed about? Hell no. The show's Blu-Rays are still selling like hotcakes and I'm sure the merchandise will only help boost these figures even more. It may not be THE best-selling anime of all time, but it's ranking pretty high anyway, compared to other shows.
After watching Bakemono, well, I've enjoyed both shows and they're truly for keeps, no matter which one of them sells the most.
Old 2011-09-02, 00:36   Link #440
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Bake was nice but it has a lot of FS (which i like btw *shot*). Madoka was nicer (but doesn't have FS). that said, I'm happy for shaft for producing such well-received and awesome shows. XDD
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
madoka magica