AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2008-06-26, 09:20   Link #1901
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Active:

Erick Von Long: Twin revolver-style Intelligent DevicesMaverick and Sidearm; the guns are shaped like revolvers but lack the revolving cylinders since they've got a magic core.

Glen Schattenmann: Sword Device Phoenix. Neo-Belka.

Emili Nailo: Spear/Staff/Dagger Device Sidewinder, Mid style; Sidewinder shifts between spear for longer reach, Staff for shooting, and Dagger mode for close range no armor fast hits.

Franz Jaeger: Armed Device Cobar, shaped like a katana, Neo-Belkan; gun-shaped Storage Device Magnum. Both use cartridges.

Naomi Jaeger: Naginata-shaped Intelligent Device Sparrow (Spear/Staff Modes for melee/ranged combat).

Avery J. Ivanovich: Rifle Device Harvest (shaped like a Halo 3 BR55HB rifle).

Master Chief: Unnamed Rifle Device, though by the time of Alpha Cortana has fused with it. (Rifle Device resembles MA5C minus top part ammo counter).

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 09:32   Link #1902
Mirron

Send a message via AIM to Mirron Send a message via MSN to Mirron
I have only one character, Itaav Einzberg, who uses a spear, which changes into a rocket propelled form, a double-ended glaive, a bo staff when it loses the point, and a double-ended rocket propelled glaive. I have planned a fire-based character similar to Nanoha in a way, although they'll use the variation on the Mid system and be a faster, more variable caster, a mage of some sort who uses water, and if I don't change Itaav, I'll use the variation on Velka and make some sort of hammer user, most likely. Or an axe, not sure.

Lots of planned mages, but Nanoha is great like that. I'm considering changing Itaav to the variation on Velka, the speed and skill one, but I also sort of like how he is so far. I do have an idea, perhaps Itaav was left at the church with one of the last remaining devices, and due to this, he received training from Vita, which makes his fighting similar to a much faster Velkan, and allowing him to be able to be more well-rounded despite the focus on speed and skill.
Mirron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 10:05   Link #1903
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
Must have missed that
You couldn't have seen them if you only watched the anime. The scenes were not in the anime, but they are some of the best scenes the game has (seriously, the second Lancer/Archer fight >>>> any of the fights Saber was involved in) though I haven't played Heavens Feel yet, so Saber may win some points there.

Quote:
Oh...mind giving an example of a warscythe?

Here you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
The idea is a sword which acts as a sort of magical battery, constantly draining magic from the atmosphere to charge itself. This charge is used to enhance the sharpness of the blade to absurd levels (at maximum charge, it can sever molecular bonds and cut through solid blocks of just about any metal you can imagine) or the stored magic can be discharged as a single (or a few, haxx-dependent) S-rank spell with no charge time or strain on Alex's linker core. Doing this reduces the sharpness of the blade to normal levels for about 24 hours until the blade recharges itself. Other than this, it acts as a fairly standard intelligent device. Due to its' distinctive appearance, Alex refrains from using this prior to his unveiling of his identity during the HQ attack, and only breaks it out when he really needs to bust some heads. Otherwise, he uses his armor device to dispatch "lesser" foes.
I don't have much complaint against the sword being able to cut through metal (concidering we've already seen canon swords do the same) as long as it can't just cut through other magical Devices. The S-rank blast, I suggest you limit a bit. No charge time is good, concidering the sword already charged itself, but don't remove the strain of casting an S-rank spell.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 10:44   Link #1904
tshouryuu
Residential Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
Iiiinteresting.

Should I ask for a quick informal role-call of active OCs and their weapons (or Devices)?
Since it looks fun, I'll join in as well.
Semi active.
Tais Scien:
Armour type armed device, Experimental Variable Armour, basically armour with different addons modules.
Prototype Mid-Childa type Unison device, AI Yui, more than an Intelligent device but still less than a true Unison device.
Tsuzuki Shouryuu:
Equip type Storage Device, Hatto, basically a yellow colored hard hat.

Inactive,
Too lazy to even type it in

Future,
You'll see it when I release it
tshouryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 11:15   Link #1905
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Quote:
Iiiinteresting.

Should I ask for a quick informal role-call of active OCs and their weapons (or Devices)?
Well she's not active (or any of my OCs) but...

Rune Juril
Devices
Crea (Armed) - Long sword device/Gauntlet
Rua (Intelligent) - Gun/Gauntlet

Malon Eine
Device
Ulteri (Storage) - Bow

And Aegina I don't think counts since she's not a mage?
Old 2008-06-26, 11:35   Link #1906
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Be glad you don't have Artherion.

Artherion: [Statement: Greetings, is there someone you need killed, master?]

Vivio: O_O

Keroko-chan:
Remind me why I never had you reprogrammed...
Silly Artherion

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
Hmmm so much for having an original character with a bow and thinking I was the only one to think of that...

And I know that feeling. Like right now I have about a billion ideas (Some crack) in my head that I want to write but I never have the motivation to even write it...
Like that Lindy vs Leti Yakyuken round I should've done weeks ago
And all the other yakyuken crack you've probably got floating around in that head of yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
Haha! We're in the same boat!

*watches Krisslanza die in disgust*

Lolz

Quote:
Here's to hoping next season will be focussed on Unision.
One can hope

Quote:
Iiiinteresting.

1. Shamsel uses Tuebor, a naginta-based weapon. It's a type of polearm.
2. Ryotaro uses the multi-purpose Device DenGasher that can be altered into a 1-handed sword, 1-handed axe, polearm, or gun.
3. Evangeline uses a ninjato-type sword to which her Device SaSword attaches to.
Evangelion Xgouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 11:51   Link #1907
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

*warps in*

Quote:
You couldn't have seen them if you only watched the anime. The scenes were not in the anime, but they are some of the best scenes the game has (seriously, the second Lancer/Archer fight >>>> any of the fights Saber was involved in) though I haven't played Heavens Feel yet, so Saber may win some points there.
Yeah, I haven't played the game yet

Quote:
Oh...looks dangerous...

Then, yeah...not the same I had in mind, I like crescent scythes better.

The top 3 weapons I like are Sword, Spear and Scythe. There are others...but let's not list them all

Quote:
I don't have much complaint against the sword being able to cut through metal (concidering we've already seen canon swords do the same) as long as it can't just cut through other magical Devices. The S-rank blast, I suggest you limit a bit. No charge time is good, concidering the sword already charged itself, but don't remove the strain of casting an S-rank spell.
Yeah, the spell still has to be controlled by the user...I think...and that means handling the mana being used for it.

*warps out*
Old 2008-06-26, 12:18   Link #1908
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Quote:
Iiiinteresting.

Noland Reiniger

Device:
[Pre Lunacy) Mondschien, a crescent blade spear-halberd (Chinese Ji) Armed Device with an abnormal AI.
(Post Lunacy) Cocytus, an archaic Unison Device; a pair of red orbs that take the place of his eyes. Transforms his body into a weapon.

I do plan on giving a few CC's upgrades, like new devices. Yuuno is getting a deck of magical cards.
Old 2008-06-26, 12:50   Link #1909
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
I don't have much complaint against the sword being able to cut through metal (concidering we've already seen canon swords do the same) as long as it can't just cut through other magical Devices.
We've also seen canon swords slice other devices clean in two; remember Levantine vs Bardiche in A's episode 2? Since the enhancement functions as a semi-permanent Magic-enhanced attack spell, much like Shiden Issen but without the fire element, there shouldn't be any limit as to attacking and destroying devices above and beyond limits which are applied to any other mage. Bodily damage does little to slow a device down anyways unless it's really extensive or the damage is to the AI core.

Quote:
Yeah, the spell still has to be controlled by the user...I think...and that means handling the mana being used for it.
Okay, so pulling the mana out of the environment isn't necessary (it's right there on hand) but shaping it into a spell still is. So the blade allows several S-rank attacks to be made with no charge time and a decreased strain on the linker core. Directed attacks and spells can be blocked with proper shielding but can't be absorbed into the blade, as there's a big difference between feeding on mana and getting smacked upside the head with it. Charging can be accelerated by implementing an active Starlight Breaker-esque collection template. This sound okay?

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Comartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 12:56   Link #1910
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Keep the Devices/weapons coming.

For my part:

Lyrical Babel
  • Ivey de Lorien - Mistral, Midchilda Storage Device, spiked chain made of diamond-hard ice.
  • Reiz Astra - Impulse, Neo-Belka Armed Device (Or Is It?), quarterstaff.
  • Rancer LaSalle - No weapon or Device (at the moment).
  • Nova Altmann - No Device.
  • Laura Veiron - Damaskinya, Neo-Belka Armed Device, large scimitar.
  • Luna Veiron - Catoptrica, Midchilda Support Device, mirror which turns into a viewscreen. Non-combat, used mainly for surveillance.
  • Vincent DeVaux - "Comet Staff", which is basically a standard Midchilda mage staff with addons and increased power/utility.

Lyrical Elemental
  • Galant Astra AKA Invictus - Impulse, Neo-Belka Armed Device, quarterstaff.
  • Leo Gravinchy AKA Antaeus - Erdetruemmer, Neo-Belka Armed Device, giant war hammer.
  • Sallah Velite AKA Maven - Startide, Neo-Belka Armed Device, twin war fans.
  • Carmina Electra AKA Harlequin - No weapon at first, picks up The Dagger of the Obsidian Light (legendary Forbidden Device) later.

Lyrical Legend
  • Arisa Bannings - The Sword of the Ardent Star, legendary Forbidden Device, broadsword.
  • Suzuka Tsukimura - Bellatrix, Omnis Summon Device, wand capable of summoning various creatures.
  • Apollo Lowell - Veritas, Omnis Support Device, book with various utility spells.
  • Excelle Lowell - Manus Gloria, Omnis Control Device, gauntlet (left hand) capable of firing energy blasts and binding.

Spoiler for If anyone really cares:
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 13:17   Link #1911
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Yeah, I haven't played the game yet
You should, Fate/Stay Night is an incredibly fun VN to read. Even thoug my experience with VN's is low, Fate has a clear top spot among them. Mostly because the music and battlescenes are so well-fit together, that the difference between reading a VN and watching and anime becomes irrelevant.

Quote:
We've also seen canon swords slice other devices clean in two; remember Levantine vs Bardiche in A's episode 2? Since the enhancement functions as a semi-permanent Magic-enhanced attack spell, much like Shiden Issen but without the fire element, there shouldn't be any limit as to attacking and destroying devices above and beyond limits which are applied to any other mage. Bodily damage does little to slow a device down anyways unless it's really extensive or the damage is to the AI core.
It's not a Device slice that I'm ojecting to, its the 'can slice any metal without effort' bit that should be looked at. If this Device can slice anything without effort, it becomes impossible to fight, which is a clear sign of overpowerdness.

Quote:
Okay, so pulling the mana out of the environment isn't necessary (it's right there on hand) but shaping it into a spell still is. So the blade allows several S-rank attacks to be made with no charge time and a decreased strain on the linker core. Directed attacks and spells can be blocked with proper shielding but can't be absorbed into the blade, as there's a big difference between feeding on mana and getting smacked upside the head with it. Charging can be accelerated by implementing an active Starlight Breaker-esque collection template. This sound okay?
Several S-rank attacks without charging seems a bit much. That's a awfull lot of power he can throw around at whim, I rather liked the 'store mana, unleash in one attack, then recharge' system better.
Old 2008-06-26, 13:24   Link #1912
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
It's not a Device slice that I'm ojecting to, its the 'can slice any metal without effort' bit that should be looked at. If this Device can slice anything without effort, it becomes impossible to fight, which is a clear sign of overpowerdness.
Alright, so anything that hasn't been enchanted or otherwise saturated with magic then, which renders your average device safe for usage against this blade.

Quote:
Several S-rank attacks without charging seems a bit much. That's a awfull lot of power he can throw around at whim, I rather liked the 'store mana, unleash in one attack, then recharge' system better.
Can I shorten the charge time to a minute or two when the charging cycle is boosted by an active collection template?

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-06-26, 13:25   Link #1913
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Really interessting to see more and more Devices.

A whole device catalogue!

Alright...

As I once said I was never really happy with my "Elric in Barrier Jacked" picture.
It just had to much errors and some of them made it look... well... strange.

I made a new one wich I like a lot better. I made some minor changes, the proportions look better and he looks more like the Nanoha drawing style.

Spoiler for Elric in his Barrier Jacket + rear view (without Device):
Old 2008-06-26, 13:30   Link #1914
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Alright, so anything that hasn't been enchanted or otherwise saturated with magic then, which renders your average device safe for usage against this blade.
Sounds good.

Quote:
Can I shorten the charge time to a minute or two when the charging cycle is boosted by an active collection template?
You mean charge for a minute or two, then store the charge to release it at will? Sure, that's good enough for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
Really interessting to see more and more Devices.

A whole device catalogue!

Alright...

As I once said I was never really happy with my "Elric in Barrier Jacked" picture.
It just had to much errors and some of them made it look... well... strange.

I made a new one wich I like a lot better. I made some minor changes, the proportions look better and he looks more like the Nanoha drawing style.

Spoiler for Elric in his Barrier Jacket + rear view (without Device):
Very nice, it has that touch of the generic TSAB gunt jacket, but more then enough personalisation.
Old 2008-06-26, 15:56   Link #1915
LimitedEternal
Nuclear Fusion

The sheer speed of the thread lately...it's unreal. I've been meaning to breaker for days now...and each time I see how much it's grown, it puts me off...but no more.

So...without further ado...I choose...a...

Random starting point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Tang.

I think Eva and Kagerou gonna have a field day.
Tang, huh...

I bet they will...

Quote:
I think they had.

In Chinese they would be called Tangcheng (The City of Tang - STOP LAUGHING! ).

But a more fitting name would've been something along with Kingdom (Guo). I've had Sanguo (Three Kingdoms), Zhongguo (Middle Kingdom), Tianjie (Heavenly Kingdom), Wangguoxing (Kingdom Hearts)...

Like the quest for Eldritch, no bloody winner. Tang Dynasty was based off warped Chinese history making the Dynasty of the Golden Age of China beyond godlike, but the stupid TANG label...

Heck, if Tang is taken as an Evangelion ref, I'll just accept it as a mecha ref and hence in-universe.

On second thought, maybe Tianjie works, and they are then the Tian Empire in Midchilda tongue, the soldiers are Tianjun (Heaven's Army), with the base unit known as Skywarriors (a play on the Tian radical) and the Ethereals are Xianren (Celestial Beings - STOP LAUGHING ALREADY!!!).

And lets not forget the little empress everyone loves: Yuhou Tianzi (Jade Empress Tianzi)

*RUNS FROM CGR2 FANS*
Permit me to say, with respect...

...that I have no idea what you're talking about. ()

Quote:
Weeeeeell..... there's this one idea I've been toying with....

The Jail we see in StrikerS? He's a clone of the original, who's sitting back and watching the fun from several dimensions away. The first four cyborgs are the servants of this original Jail, who are there to make sure the clone does what the original wants him to do. The other Numbers are less ruthless and therefore are redeemable by Nanohaverse standards, but when things go south for the clone, Uno, Due (after offing the council), Tre, and Quattro will stab him in the back and leave him for the bureau to find. What happens after this is anyone's guess, but the original isn't going to just give up on Vivio just like that. The Cradle remains safely hidden, and Vivio's relic goes with Quattro. There remains the problem of what Zest and company are going to do once everything is over, but for the time being this is the most likely scenario.
Interesting...so there's an even craftier Jail pulling the strings, from the perspective of the main cast. I bet that would be a nasty surprise when they figure out they haven't even been dealing with the real madman...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liingo View Post
*warps in*

Ahhh ok.........

Magic infused bamboo mantles? Couldn't you think of something more descriptive. Crack on a different level than before... I'm not sure whether this is better or worse than before.
What's wrong with magic-infused bamboo? It's more fantasy-magic that what we're used to, but...why not?
Quote:
*facepalm* Oh this is good... We're into even more series than before. At least it's getting harder to see where the references come from... even if it's turning into a massive cluster that could turn into an epic trainwreck at any moment.
I just had a sudden crazy thought...it might be because this...montage...is such a pileup of random series crossovers that it works...

Quote:
It usually helps people accept your creations if you keep quiet abut the sources used for inspration though. I mean, Tesla is a mix of Star Ocean, Wild Arms, Phoenix Wright, Star Wars, Warhammer 40K, Magic Knight Rayearth, Detective Conan, Fate/Stay Night, Code Geass, Real Bout Samurai Highschool and Burn-Up inspirations, but I bet few could catch even half of those inspiration elements if I hadn't told them. And lets not even begin with Keroko.

Got enough inspirations there, Keroko? :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelion Xgouki View Post
YOSH! After a weekend of enjoying the Midsummer Festival (and STILL not getting my staff from Ahune... )
Heh, that makes two of us...although I'm not big enough to fight Ahune...T_T
But I did get a fancy spirit and successfully stomp the Alliance's bonfires! :3
Quote:
I lol'd
It is a funny pic. :P
Quote:
Pretty much. TTGL was made as a show to combine aspects of the mecha and sci-fi base in some crazy and awesome Gainax creation . Many look at the series as them going back to their roots as a company founded by mecha/sci-fi otaku (DaiCon III & IV, Gunbuster). Plus sunglasses have a sort of universal symbolism for those characters that are 'bad-ass' or 'cool.''
Hmm...take everything that made mecha over-the-top, unrealistically cool, and just outright insane, and stir them together...and it worked. :3
Quote:
Wow, that sure got Keroko's attention
*watches gears smoke and grind*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Regarding a point blank shining finger i would like to remind you of potential recoil/backblast for a point blank attack.
Yeah, I guess point-blank blasts aren't any fun without the risk of recoil...:P

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTigerclaw View Post
Correction. All guns are always loaded, PERIOD.
The unbolded part in the original statement introduces into the mind that a gun may not be loaded, and provides an area that allows the lazy mind to slack. This is unacceptable. It must be worded both on paper and in your mind as strongly as possible. There is no 'treat them as if they are loaded.' An unloaded weapon is useless. They ARE loaded. (Even if they're half taken apart.)
That's pretty much what I've been told..."Treat every firearm as if it were loaded at all times."

Good advice, in my book.

Quote:
Teana's guns are magic guns, so as long as she is alive and kicking, theoretically speaking her guns will always be loaded.
A magic gun's a bit different, though...the person carrying it has to will the "bullets" into existence...

Quote:
It's not always a bad thing to return to your roots. Like what I'm doing with Syn, I'm ditching pretty much everything and returing to the initial concept of Syn, with a few slight modifications (the initial concept was a gunslinger, not an archer) so there is nothing bad about simply ignoring all the prodding and poking I did and return to Kha's roots.
Mm...this is what I'm trying to do with my latest pet project...I always overdo things and they end up to the point where I can't figure out what I was thinking...

Quote:
Then comes the next problem is that 45% on my work is hand-written, and 45% is in my head.

But if those points work, then my fanon can be saved. Those were really crucial to the establishment of old Belka, their loss would give me trouble...

I might just be ranting at the moment, no idea what's going on the IRC. Not logged in cos I'm helping Anita prepare dinner. Her friends are coming over for a visit! I hope I pass this Charisma save!
Wait...you're missing the last 10% there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFlare View Post
Breaking away from lurking again ...
Alright, for just 10 gold you can achieve the rank of Artisan Lurker!

*runs*
Quote:
Nonsense. While Khracks certainly give us some funny moments (and at times, outrageous cries of woe and despair), it is part and parcel of the thread already. It's just the matter of volume and concentration you apply.

Quote:
Hey that's my line.

Though it'd be pretty awesome if this thread survives long enough for me to bring another special person into this thread...

@ Anita

*starts running*
Oh? *tilts head*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirron View Post
Just would like to comment that the Velkans still deciding to use melee despite the general switch to ranged isn't really as bad a thing as it is in normal combat. Magical combat allows someone to get up close and personal without having to sacrifice as much as one would in regular combat. If anything, Velka is more deadly, not less, due to the fact that a smaller group of people would likely be trained to combat it when it was in it's downfall, if it was such a rare thing to encounter.

Just my view on the Velka thing. I imagine the collapse, as well as a general lack of interest, was more the cause of it's downfall, not a lack of combat use, or inferiority to the Midchildian system. Magic is great like that. No matter what you like, it can be of use to you and enhanced with magic, and always useful, despite what one may think.
Can't argue with you here.

Quote:
*is too busy running from Anita to answer Keroko's questions*
*tosses Kha a bottle of water so he can run longer*

Quote:
It's only a personal theory, but Mid has been stated to be the preffered choice due to its versatality.
True...Belka doesn't really have many options other than "power up and charge." Aside from the odd variant, it's fairly limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
IMO Mid = manipulation Belkan = enhancement.

Which somewhat explains the difficulty in improving range ability on Belkan's side, since the style does narrow that particular "skill tree"(loosely termed") once you start specializing in it.

And to make a Nanoha or Hayate is more difficult than making a Fate, regardless of styles, due to the requirement of suitable inborn traits.
So Belka Knights = Enhancement Shamans?

*runs fast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirron View Post
Hmm. I don't know. I personally believe that a ranged Velkan is as possible as a melee Midchildian, simply due to the fact that I believe them to be different, but still equal. One focuses on range, the other on close-combat, yet both are capable of the other, although some sacrifices can be made to improve the capability of the other.

Although, this then makes me think, if a more speed-based form of Velka were to exist, what would be a counterpart for the Mid version? I typically operate in terms of opposites, so Velka and Mid opposing each other in a way makes it easier for me to come up with ideas. Yet throwing in the new version raises a question of what Mid could do to change yet still be Mid in a way.
This is more or less how I think of the styles as well - Mid has melee styles, which are counter to it's normal focus on range, so I don't see why there couldn't be a Belkan ranged alternative.

As for the counterpart thing...I think Mid's alternative might be a heavy defensive style, possibly taking Nanoha's focus on ranged firepower and stronger defenses to a higher level. Maybe a mage who puts up a very powerful barrier that makes them really slow but greatly toughens defense; a front-line fire-suppression mage, maybe?

Quote:
Deshou? And Signum darn well made it canon too.

Quote:
Canon contradiction check: civilian modern Belkan fashion tends towards traveller's robes/coats and utilitarian shirt/trousers, in a High-Fantasy Commoner style.

Yes/No?
As opposed to the more contemporary clothing worn by modern Mid? Hmm. Makes a nice comparison...I say go for it.

Quote:
Oooo....do want
Seconded.
Quote:
Someone divided by zero!!! RUN!!!!!
*hides hole in universe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazghkull View Post
And you realize that even if you use real life context, a lot of it will still fly over people's heads because not everyone here for one thing watches/reads/looks at news articles so they aren't aware of the world outside of their own, and for another, they aren't as well engrossed into real-life political structure and the what not.

And now secondly despite the fact that yes, the Nanoha storyline is lacking in proper military structure does not mean that the OC should have some sort of strict code that we should be following!

Looking back, I can see that I've been quite harsh to some people, and looking farther back, this place was originally a place where people just go "WTF " because they just read something extremely amusing, or because of the ridiculous amount of backlog, which was filled with random and amusing what not.

However, lately, the nuances of this place, and IRC quite frankly, is starting to take a nose dive.

Although there are additional parties to this issue, you, quite frankly, are spearheading this.

We are not a military.

And that's just in terms of how the environment feels.

In terms of how some people communicate with one another, now that I look at it, it's just deplorable. And I will admit, I am also a part of that deplorable behaviour, which disgusts me further since I liked how OC was when I had first joined it.

And that usually starts, because you keep attacking what people think, say, or do. Every time something looks out of place from real-world context, rather than trying to ask for clarification or a general, polite approach, you almost automatically fly off the handle and attack people's ideas. Although I see the ideas that you wish to convey, it gets so horribly garbled up in your attack that all people see is an aggressor, rather than a helper.

I could go on, but this is already getting a bit long for my tastes, so I will leave it at that.
I...have to agree with you. I've skipped pages worth of thread material because it was full of military jargon and references...I really don't have any interest in comparing Nanohaverse military to real-world military the way some of you guys do.

Quote:
I have been spending some time thinking out Syn now, and I discovered the source of one of the stumbleblocks. As you know, Syn is linked to Vivio, and much of her character progresion and development are linked to Vivio. However, we don't know anything on how Vivio will progress. What will her personallity be? What magic style will she use? How will she use it? What will her device be? What will her goal be when she joins the TSAB? Will she join the TSAB?
Spoiler for Vivio:

-------

So far my view on what a canon Vivio would be in the future. Any opinions, hints to unknown factors, or corrections are much apreciated.
I figure...you've got about as good a base for Vivio as anyone does. I also think there's an extraordinary amount of variance in Vivio's abilities...to the point where there are dozens of possible styles to use.

Persona-wise, I think of her as someone who would want to quickly establish her own self, wanting to stand on her own two legs. If it were me, I'd probably give her a touch of stubbornness, just to drive that point home.

Either way, go for how you think she'll work best.

Quote:
Can Vivio copy any spell, or just spells which merely require power output? In other words, can she copy summons?

-

Canon inquiry: what sort of magic and spells have been seen used by civilians not attached to the TSAB, if any? As in, what parts of magic is considered "everyday", rather than something restricted?

In the flashback to the airport fire, Ginga had raised a small barrier to protect a few other people. Is this considered okay, or was she bending the rules for an emergency?
I...wouldn't think she'd be able to copy summons carte blanche, considering that summoning magic has strings attached. Maybe if she could meet or replicate those conditions, she could copy the summon itself to an extent, but likely not to the level of the original summoner.

I also imagine Ginga is in no danger from the law for using magic to save the life of another, even if that person isn't enlightened of magic. You can always heal a person (or "help" the forget the magic...:3), but if it's a threat to the civilian's life I don't see a problem with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazghkull View Post
Well Tormenk pretty much hit the nail on the head I think, along with Comar and kriss.

In terms of learning spells, I say that she'd just observe and then be able to learn the techniques. However, her mastery over them would be dismal considering she would only know how to use them, but not effectively, without practice.

As for summons, it would require most likely a contract of some sorts, considering that it's natural that intelligent creatures would not let themselves be summoned without their expressed permission.

Just like a Blue Mage. The mage can copy about any spell, but their mastery of it would depend on their own skill - and as discussed earlier, an A-rank isn't gonna copy an S-rank spell and use it.

Quote:
Yep, I think it was mentioned in the StrikerS manga, but Subaru had a few fellow Belka users in the academy when the classes were seperate from Mid users.

Belka style is only for the hot blooded

Quote:
Signum: Hot... blooded?

Zafira:
*sighs*

Shamal:
Oh dear! Hot blood?

Erio: Uhm... what is hot blood?
??: Hot blood is...when someone has something to say, and they say it. When there's somethiing to do, a hot-blood charges in and does it! They don't care who or what the hell stands before them...they don't care what might happen after! Hot blood is the courage and passion to ACT! And to act with pride!!!

I'll tell you who this is later.

Quote:
Everyone covered the points nicely, and yes Data Collection can be the baseline skill for Tra--

*is shot*

But without further ado, another excellent artist mercurianangel has gracefully agreed to help out with the Codex, and here's another shot:
Spoiler for Kha in Knight's Garb:
Original Kha is brighter than Clone Kha, so this pic does bring out the difference more than Fate's sketch, which was meant to catch Kha in his darker moods.

Kha is decked in his Knight's Garb, which is easily inverted to become the Knight Armor mode, sans some consecrated metal plating that we see in Fate's sketch. Behind him is the coat of arms of the Cleric-Knights, the aptly named Celestial Being, Chamber Militant of the Licht von Belka.

I wanted a good cassock for Kha's clerical duties, but since the Kruznik's refused to leave my mind... I used it. And yes I should've gone Alucard pose, but this pic was based off Shiro's character song album cover, and Alucard might be more of an OOC reference for reference sake, so I'll pass.

And most of all, mercurianangel managed to bring out all that in a professionally done manner! The assistant to Dark God Satashi bestows us with a great gift! We must thank her wholeheartedly!
Once again, Angel-sama shows her skill...and does Kha look sharp. *takes hat off to MA*

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Fate- View Post

MercurianAngel truly is godly o_o. I'm quite envious of your skills expecially when coloring the sketch . Kha's coolness leveled up even more
Oh, I bet you could draw that every bit as well.

Quote:
It's the closest thing we have, especially concidering these gems look a lot like Caro/ Lutecia's Devices, which were also gems on gloves. As for where it had been hiding, inside the Relic is a good possibility. It was a Relic that was specific to the Saint King after all.

And those 'decorative gems' on other Barrier Jackets are actually functional parts of the Barrier Jacket.
Oh yeah, I forgot about those...good point.
Quote:
Nor can I... Weird, you'd think that Vita would spawn a legion of hammer wielding mages.
*imagines an entire army of Vita-lookalikes*

Quote:
Canon check the following, please.

Spoiler for Report:
Oh-ho...now this seems most interesting.

Forbidden Devices...*thoughtful smile*

Quote:
Like I said, me wants to farm raid instance that drops these pieces.
*points to Isle of Quel'Danas*

There ya go, Kha. Doesn't get any more epic than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazenoyuuchi View Post
Also, I shall be joining your OC community. It is nice to meet everybody.
Welcome to the madhouse. Enjoy your stay and keep your sanity locked safely away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post
AurionXHayate is just a CRACK pairing, dammit!!! <_<

I'm officially shipping HayateXGrandis!!!

And what Keroko said is true.:3 I already am anticipating Estavali's story with his own version of a romance for Hayate.
Well that should make the thread's foremost Hayate fan happy...:3

*hides*

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
*Smells an invitation*

*Plots crack*
The crack of the Dark Goddess flows strongly...*covers nose and mouth*

Quote:
Yes, yes I do. Though I have to admit I'm still learning to go beyond trap level to actually like the pairing.
Trap yaoi...*shudders*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshouryuu View Post
This is a crackish idea I have thought up. It is not particularly well written but Aaron008R persuaded me that you guys should have a look.
Spoiler for Prologue or Madness:
Thoughts?
Rein I scenario...want more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
I'm sure they'll find a way to give her one even she has to eat the cartridge or something which also brings this to mind....
Spoiler for Size:

Hayate: Now Rein-chan, eat up!

Rein Zwei: *squirms* Rein hates the red cartridges!~

Quote:
There's a lot of cool things you can do when you pay with the names. For example, Syn's Bow Device is called Hellskor, a play on the word Helskór, which in norse mythology were shoes you put on the dead so they could use them to walk to Valhalla. The amusing play is then that Hellskor is implied to be used to send people to Valhalla.
There's no shortage whatsoever of cool names out there...you just have to find them.
Quote:
I think we may have found one of the reasons Hayate was so shafted. Note that all of the people shafted in StrikerS don't use Cartridges.

It's a patern. No cartridges = shafting.
I think you're onto something here...!

Quote:
Hmmm...well a bow-based Device can still have a wide range of spells you could use it for. A high-powered, single shot (like Signum's) or using the extra charge from a cartridge to fire multiple arrows that still have penetrating power (like a Hunter's Volley from WoW). Though if you want to use both loading sections on the bow, it could be explained that it has 2 places to store cartridges because the sleeker design of the bow means it holds less cartridges and thus needs it divided on both sides to hold a decent number.
I kinda remember some crazy bow-type weapon I came up with from something else...I wonder if I could make use of it...

Quote:
Aww...but that's no fun . Especially if the AI just so happens to have a...sense of humor or something.
Psycho AI?

AI-47: Yes, I know you don't find the slaughter of meatbags pleasurable, but it would solve so many problems if you could eliminate a few...

*runs*

Quote:
Be glad you don't have Artherion.

Artherion: [Statement: Greetings, is there someone you need killed, master?]

Vivio: O_O

Keroko-chan:
Remind me why I never had you reprogrammed...
Damn, beaten to it.

Quote:
Swords are the most popular choice of weaponry, with polearm and spear weapons comming in second. Gun devices are also pretty popular, possibly rivaling if not surpassing the polearm weaponry, and I do recall seeing a couple of staff users around, but those were usually jeweled caster staffs. Beyond that we have one or two bows, katars and other fist weapons, I remember Kha once had a tower shield in one of his earlier versions, knives, glaives, kusari-gama, and probably a few more I can't recall. Nighty even had a keyblade user.
Conclusion: We need more off-the-wall Devices.

Quote:
Iiiinteresting.

Asuka wields her master-crafted spear, tentatively rechristened Eversing for her rebuild.

??, who spoke above on hot blood, uses two "Attunement Devices" (based on Mid but subtly different), as-yet-unnamed. I think they're going to be bracelets.

Quote:
Just your average psycothic assasination droid, nothing to worry about.

-----

And now, if you'll excuse me, Outland calls.

*steps through Dark Portal*
LimitedEternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 16:58   Link #1916
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Strange idea I just had....

...has anyone tried making a heraldry system? You know, runes and tattoos and so forth which provide certain effects when empowered with magic?

I was just thinking of Star Ocean 2's heraldry system and I stumbled on an idea; what if there were a way to distribute the load on the linker core across the entire body instead of confining it to a single organ? You'd get huge net increases in the amount of mana one could channel, but you'd probably get it at the cost of a drastically decreased lifespan if you overuse it too much. Thoughts/suggestions/flames?

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-06-26, 17:08   Link #1917
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedEternal View Post
Got enough inspirations there, Keroko? :3
Oh, plenty.

Quote:
A magic gun's a bit different, though...the person carrying it has to will the "bullets" into existence...
True, but the comparison still stands. A magic gun is always loaded.

Quote:
Wait...you're missing the last 10% there...
That's the part that we've seen.

Quote:
*tosses Kha a bottle of water so he can run longer*
Traitor! You know you want to ask too!

Quote:
I figure...you've got about as good a base for Vivio as anyone does. I also think there's an extraordinary amount of variance in Vivio's abilities...to the point where there are dozens of possible styles to use.
I'll be going with what we saw on the Cradle, close combat with a few ranged spells.

Quote:
Persona-wise, I think of her as someone who would want to quickly establish her own self, wanting to stand on her own two legs. If it were me, I'd probably give her a touch of stubbornness, just to drive that point home.
Yes, we did see the stuborness when she wanted to stand on her own after being blasted by Nanoha.

Quote:

Just like a Blue Mage. The mage can copy about any spell, but their mastery of it would depend on their own skill - and as discussed earlier, an A-rank isn't gonna copy an S-rank spell and use it.
Blue magic is a bit more complicated to use though. To be honest, blue magic is so complicated that I don't ever want to touch it. I'll stick with Vivio's nice, calm and most importantly, safe skill.

Quote:
??: Hot blood is...when someone has something to say, and they say it. When there's somethiing to do, a hot-blood charges in and does it! They don't care who or what the hell stands before them...they don't care what might happen after! Hot blood is the courage and passion to ACT! And to act with pride!!!

I'll tell you who this is later.
Signum: In other words, hotbloods are idiots.

Zafira: Reckles idiots.

Erio: I see.

Shamal: That was very informative.

Quote:
I kinda remember some crazy bow-type weapon I came up with from something else...I wonder if I could make use of it...
Am I spawning something here?
Old 2008-06-26, 17:17   Link #1918
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:

I was just thinking of Star Ocean 2's heraldry system and I stumbled on an idea; what if there were a way to distribute the load on the linker core across the entire body instead of confining it to a single organ? You'd get huge net increases in the amount of mana one could channel, but you'd probably get it at the cost of a drastically decreased lifespan if you overuse it too much. Thoughts/suggestions/flames?

I has used that idea for the badhran people (they are in my take on Ancient Belka) I created for my Dungeons & Dragons campain (12 years ago). My two first characters ever (actually my brother's and mine, and who were created when Berlin Wall has not fallen yet) were from that people. They used ink brewed from ingredients like dragon blood (that is their world's equivalent of arrakeen Spice). Inspiration were mostly from maori or japanese yakuza. It hold a very great cultural significance and basically reinforced their body (in D&D mechanisms, it was either a bonus on Safe Rolls, armor class or a +1 in an attribute (back in ADD2, +1 in STR was a LOT)).

The tatoo ideas was inspired by Yuyu Hakusho.

I may bring that first OC, I has been toying with the idea of a character that would tread with Ero and Caro toward their own coming of age. The prob is how to start it.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 17:46   Link #1919
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Iiiinteresting.

To quote tshou, this looks fun, so allow me to chuck my existing ideas (as well as my egglings) in as well :

Spoiler for Longwinded :D:

Phew..... That WAS fun .

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 18:43   Link #1920
stormturmoil
Field Medic

Send a message via AIM to stormturmoil Send a message via MSN to stormturmoil
Just to chime in on the current Device Roll-Call:

David Brown, Knight Savant, possesses or has access to the following devices:

Photos: Light aligned Control Device (Modified Boost Device). Resembling a gauntlet with a large white gem worn on the right hand. Used to control use of healing and offensive spells (eg, direct effect spells) to prevent overpenetration of attacks, or autoimmune effects or cancerous growth from overpowered healing spells due to David's unpredictable savant magic. Acts as a 'smart Limiter'. In full drive mode, acts as an amplifier instead. Compact form is as a wristwatch.

Umbra: Shadow Aligned Control Device (Modified Boost Device). Resembling a gauntlet with a large black gem worn on the left hand. Used to control enhancement and defensive spells (eg, indirect spells) to prevent effect like self inflicted injuries due to over-enhancement or suffocation due to too powerful barriers. due to David's unpredictable savant magic. Acts as a 'smart Limiter'. In full drive mode, acts as an amplifier instead. Compact Form is as a medic-alert bracelet.

Grey Turmoil: Non-aligned Armed Device. Used as a primary attack mode and channel for other spells. Takes the form of an angular parry cutlass/Blade tonfa weapon. The scabbard is attached to the left forearm and can be used as a buckler. The 'blade' is not normally sharp, but can be enhanced using a modified shield edge called the 'scalpel edge'. Alternatively, the blade can turned into the anchor for an energy whip called the 'Aura Arc' based on David's 'Suture Bind' spell, which can be used as a grapple, a bind or a discharging energy lash. In either of these cases, the blade enhancement can then be 'thrown' as a projectile attack called the 'Aura Arrow', similar to Fate's Arc Saber. Compact form is as a ring with a grey crystal.

Bronzion Hammer: The heavy Artillery. This massively heavyweight double-headed crystal-faced mallet is festooned with warning symbols, and with good reason. Suitable for nothing but massive destruction, it is David's single least used Device. It's inactive form is as a mallet-shaped pendant.
It is dependent for it's effectiveness on the nature of Savant magic, and so is usable only by a Savant Mage or Knight Savant: upon swinging the hammer, the Savant's magic is rapidly absorbed into the hammer's frame, draining faster than normal mages or Knights can supply; only Savants, with their ability to subconsciously regulate the massive energy flow and compensate on the fly for irregularities in the charging process can achieve this within the fractional-second timescale required.
At the point of impact, all the accumulated energy is released at once, in a single cataclysmic burst far more potent than a Buster spell. The massive discharge of light and sound produced on impact is comparable to Thunder and Lightning, which has lead to a number of slang nicknames for the Device being spread by those few who have seen it in use.

David's Devices do not feature the Cartridge system, as it is not currently possible to synchronize the Cartridge discharges with David's magic due to the speed with which his Savant abilities subconscious spellcasting rattles off spells; even with the fastest Cartridge systems, the firing mechanism simply cannot keep up with someone who has commonly cast the spell before even thinking about it.

The Bronzion Hammer is a deliberate workaround of this problem, intended to give access to Cartridge levels of power by exploiting Savant abilities. While in theory, a similar effect could be achieved by using an Intelligent Device Style AI to regulate the Mana Influx, most Intelligent device AI's are too fragile to withstand the rigours of the levels of energy the Hammer is intended to channel, and in any case, it is simpler and easier to achieve the same effect by installing a cartridge system.

However, there is speculation that while a standard Intelligent Device is unsuitable for use, a Unison Device could in theory mimic the Abilities of a Savant Mage or Knight Savant and therefore wield the Hammer themselves.

Spoiler for notes:
stormturmoil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hayaurion, kaonland, keroland, khrack, original content