Old 2014-06-20, 23:09   Link #801
Esclair

Looks like Hideo Kojima is a fan:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...a-anime/.75701
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-20, 23:14   Link #802
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

He has a point...this anime is so game like in the sense it could very well be....freaking Ikaruga animated
Old 2014-06-21, 03:23   Link #803
RoboMambo

Again the great action I've come to expect.

Next pisode, they will enter the enemy and destroy the bydo gauna core
RoboMambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-21, 09:14   Link #804
jhpace1

The Gauna have new tactics, thanks to Benisuzume being there. Now that a human from Sidonia has been assimilated, the Gauna have new ideas on how to fight Sidonia.

The evolution of the Humans vs. the Gauna has changed. It started with the huge humanoid Gauna destroying Earth but not assimilating any humans? Then we have individual mecha fighting the Gauna, to using the kabi-staffs to destroy them one-on-one for a hundred years. But with Benisuzume, now we see a major colony or nest of Gauna attacking Sidonia with a planetoid. That's never happened before.

It's an almost human response to another hostile tribes of humans being found on another continent. At first you had individual battles, but it is like the Gauna now recognize the humans of Sidonia as a viable threat, and have come up with a solution by ramming them with a major collision. Obviously Benisuzume is the contact between the Gauna of before and the Gauna now. The Gauna, perhaps thinking themselves without equal in the galaxy, absorbing or assimilating whatever intelligence they came across, now have something that can destroy them, and it is changing the Gauna.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-22, 01:03   Link #805
AcroDave
Go Chrome or Go Home

Ep.11

Great episode. I liked the new variation of the 'battle' music during the attack, and we even got a photosynthesizing scene!

I was getting a real 'attack on the Death Star' feel with this episode. But from the previews, it looks like they're going with a 'Return of the Jedi' attack (flying into the core). In the manga, it was more of 'A New Hope' style attack (flying through the trenches).

I don't know how they can possibly wrap up this battle, and leave us with a satisfying ending with only one episode left??? Hmm..

Kunato: *Le Sigh* "Tsugumori, I should have been your pilot..."

Shut the hell up Kunato. SHUT THE HELL UP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger View Post
Oh man, a whole squad dead, I love these high stakes action packed episodes. This show makes me think of attack on titan set in space.
This was probably the one part I didn't like. Benisuzume was just WAY to OP (of course, it was worse in the manga, so maybe I shouldn't complain).

Also the part with the captain telling Nagate she needs him to be their savior, and him pledging to be a 'Knight of Sidonia'... just felt really unnecessary. Didn't they already have this conversation 10 episodes ago?? Does she need to keep flashing her ponytail on a regular basis to keep Nagate in line? Is that where she when wrong with Hiroki??

Old 2014-06-22, 07:19   Link #806
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroDave View Post
Also the part with the captain telling Nagate she needs him to be their savior, and him pledging to be a 'Knight of Sidonia'... just felt really unnecessary. Didn't they already have this conversation 10 episodes ago?? Does she need to keep flashing her ponytail on a regular basis to keep Nagate in line? Is that where she when wrong with Hiroki??

The Captain has pledged to try and not make the same mistakes that she did with Hiroke. Perhaps she assumed too many things with Hiroke, and did not verbalize them to make sure they were on the same sheet of music. When tensions came to a head it was too late to talk. Just speculating.
Top Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-22, 10:22   Link #807
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
This was probably the one part I didn't like. Benisuzume was just WAY to OP (of course, it was worse in the manga, so maybe I shouldn't complain).
It didn't really help that the first platoon's reaction to having their commander one-shotted was, apparently: "Derp, let's all mill about aimlessly while Darth Vader cuts us down like a library full of Jedi lolis."

So I tended to put Benisuzume's performance down to the ongoing, systemic, discipline problems that Sidonia's giant fighter-robot squadrons seem to face. For example, there was the absolutely sloppy, whiny, radio chatter as they were approaching the Gauna Death Star. I suppose it's understandable, given that most of the pilots were wet-behind-the-ears noobs like Izana, who, quite possibly, spent the entire battle wetting themselves. The only thing that enables them to actually perform is that their trainining apparently beats into them a mindless adherence to orders. Recall that the platoon tasked with taking out the Gauna Death Star's engines stayed on station until Benisuzume killed them all, and Sidonia ordered their retreat. Samari's platoon hung out in prime range of the Gauna AAA fire until Tanikaze yelled at them, and Samari ordered them to ground.

On top of the foibles of the pilots of Sidonia, we see that Benisuzume isn't fucking around. The first encounter was a psychological mind-screw with the insane, giggling, Hoshijiro radio chatter and the up-close-and-personal melee kills. The second encounter ... high speed beam cannon strikes at range with no radio chatter and no flashy showmanship.

Quote:
Probably. She knows that Tanikaze is still young and impressionable, so she will do her best to impress upon him an unthinking sense of duty to Sidonia, so he doesn't start develop the independent, rebellious, streak of his "grandfather."
Old 2014-06-22, 11:25   Link #808
Biohazardous

Quote:
Kunato: *Le Sigh* "Tsugumori, I should have been your pilot..."

Shut the hell up Kunato. SHUT THE HELL UP.
LOL I agree I dont like him.
Biohazardous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-22, 13:26   Link #809
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
Probably. She knows that Tanikaze is still young and impressionable, so she will do her best to impress upon him an unthinking sense of duty to Sidonia, so he doesn't start develop the independent, rebellious, streak of his "grandfather."
I agree, with content of your post, but not with it's negative conotation. It seems to me that Kobayashi doing her best protect Tanikaze against council and is as sincere toward him as her position allows. "She does not
want make same mistakes as she did with Tanikazes grandfather" which means she blame not others for standing against some order, but her inability and attitude toward them.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-22, 21:19   Link #810
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I agree, with content of your post, but not with it's negative conotation. It seems to me that Kobayashi doing her best protect Tanikaze against council and is as sincere toward him as her position allows. "She does not
want make same mistakes as she did with Tanikazes grandfather" which means she blame not others for standing against some order, but her inability and attitude toward them.
I agree, I really like Kobayashi's character. She's got a large sense of duty, but she's also human behind that mask of hers, with emotions and is aware that she's not perfect. My idea concerning her was that she thinks of Nagate as a way to correct her mistakes with Saitou and so she's taken him in a given him his father/grandfather's place as a knight of Sidonia. She looks out of him and adopted him and stands up for him against the council.

It was obvious in the flashbacks that Kobayashi liked and probably even loved Saitou and she knows that she was partially responsible for him choosing exile with Nagate. She knows that she was so centered on her duty to the council and to Sidonia, that she drove the man that she loved away. And thus she wishes to change her ways and not do the same with the man's "son". It's her way of making it up to the man, and is her second chance to do right by him.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-22, 23:42   Link #811
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

just gotten into this show today. saw ep.1-11 in one sitting. man, this show is really awesome.
I love the animation and characters. the actions are very nice too.

I guess ep.12 will be the last? I really hope Hoshijiro Shizuka can come back and nothing bad
happen to her...although it already did; she's my fave character of the show (aside Kobayashi, my 2nd fave),
they better give her a good ending.

but regardless, looking forward to the end!

the ride has been fun so far. and I'm loving every moment of the show and the music.
Old 2014-06-23, 06:45   Link #812
Biohazardous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I agree. She even thinks history could repeat itsself and hopes she will be changed and ready in time. She does not want a repeat. They wont let us forget all of this. I have a feeling if we get a second season she will have to show that she is changed and will have her chance to not make the same mistakes.
Biohazardous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 08:27   Link #813
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhpace1 View Post
Perhaps Higgs particles are like neutrinos: produced as a by-product from natural reactions, like the ones coming from stars, but hard to produce on-demand. This would explain the solar sail on the depleted mecha in deep space. Once collected, Higgs particles can be used for both energy and propulsion, but not as an infinite supply.
Higgs particles are usually called Higgs boson. The easy explanation is that it's the particle that add mass to objects. They have been first detected in 2012 even if their existence was theorized since 1964, but have no applied utilities so far.

The author took some liberties here.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 13:33   Link #814
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Higgs particles are usually called Higgs boson. The easy explanation is that it's the particle that add mass to objects. They have been first detected in 2012 even if their existence was theorized since 1964, but have no applied utilities so far.

The author took some liberties here.
Yeah, but we don't really know how they get them. We know it's possible for something as small as a Gardes to collect them, but the process is too slow to be practical. So does it become more efficient as the collectors scale up, or do they have a Higgs generator somewhere that works on something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
I agree, I really like Kobayashi's character. She's got a large sense of duty, but she's also human behind that mask of hers, with emotions and is aware that she's not perfect. My idea concerning her was that she thinks of Nagate as a way to correct her mistakes with Saitou and so she's taken him in a given him his father/grandfather's place as a knight of Sidonia. She looks out of him and adopted him and stands up for him against the council.

It was obvious in the flashbacks that Kobayashi liked and probably even loved Saitou and she knows that she was partially responsible for him choosing exile with Nagate. She knows that she was so centered on her duty to the council and to Sidonia, that she drove the man that she loved away. And thus she wishes to change her ways and not do the same with the man's "son". It's her way of making it up to the man, and is her second chance to do right by him.
Agreed, though I wonder - what were her mistakes, really? She just tried to keep Sidonia and Hiroki alive - in that order. The real break between them came when she tried to force him to live in spite of himself. And he only became suicidal after that near wipe-out, which wasn't her fault, it was Ochiai's.

Though I suppose there must have been a lot of hard decisions over the centuries. And yes, Hiroki was probably more idealistic and sensitive than she was.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 16:08   Link #815
Tenzen12

Maybe she didn't tried enough (or at least she think so
-or maybe she tried protect Sidonia and Hiroki (in this order) by wrong method
-or she might no be able predict stuff that happen and belive she should
-or maybe she followed orders, she shouldn't
-or ...something else
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 16:41   Link #816
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

Agreed, though I wonder - what were her mistakes, really? She just tried to keep Sidonia and Hiroki alive - in that order. The real break between them came when she tried to force him to live in spite of himself. And he only became suicidal after that near wipe-out, which wasn't her fault, it was Ochiai's.

Though I suppose there must have been a lot of hard decisions over the centuries. And yes, Hiroki was probably more idealistic and sensitive than she was.
You could tell there was some tension in the flashbacks even before Hiroki disappeared the first time and I think it might have had to deal with some of Kobayashi decisions involving Ochiai and the whole aftermath of the war.

And judging from Kobayashi's arguments with LaLa at the time, it looked as though at the time she was actually putting the orders and desires of the council above all. She would constantly spout out the fact that they had taken an oath to serve the council, but Lala and Hiroki disapproved. Hiroki disappeared for 80 years before returning and when he returned, Kobayashi secretly had a clone made of him because she said that they could not afford to lose him again. I think she was thinking both for the good of Sidonia, but also because she herself couldn't lose him again. However, Hiroki probably didn't see it that way, and saw it as her trampling over his wishes by putting her duty ahead of her humanity.

As of now, she's begun to think more for Sidonia as a people rather than for what the council wants and he is challenging herself to change after centuries of habit. It's obvious that it's beginning to work as she has the admiration of her crew and Nagate, where as she's beginning to fall out of favor with the council.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 19:05   Link #817
bigdeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yeah, but we don't really know how they get them. We know it's possible for something as small as a Gardes to collect them, but the process is too slow to be practical. So does it become more efficient as the collectors scale up, or do they have a Higgs generator somewhere that works on something else?
Higgs Bison is a particle that exists only for a tiny faction of a second. Its what gives mass to other particles. Its not possible to collect them, they don't exist very long and your not going to find them floating through the vacuum of space.

This shows energy source is pure techo babble.
bigdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 19:28   Link #818
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeath View Post

Science once claimed that atoms could not be split, and then later some claimed if you did split an atom it would set off an uncontrolled chain reaction which would destroy the planet.

I'm willing to accept that a few hundred years from now that humanity might be able to harness their power. We simply have no idea how they might be able to do it.

Last edited by Top Sergeant; 2014-06-23 at 19:31. Reason: grammar
Top Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 19:41   Link #819
bigdeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Sergeant View Post
Science once claimed that atoms could not be split, and then later some claimed if you did split an atom it would set off an uncontrolled chain reaction which would destroy the planet.

I'm willing to accept that a few hundred years from now that humanity might be able to harness their power. We simply have no idea how they might be able to do it.
LOL, I won't even start with this. Suffice to say that I'd prefer if actual theories on what could be used as space engines were used rather than Techno Babble.
bigdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-24, 01:08   Link #820
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeath View Post
Higgs Bison is a particle that exists only for a tiny faction of a second. Its what gives mass to other particles. Its not possible to collect them, they don't exist very long and your not going to find them floating through the vacuum of space.

It's Boson, I know, and for the purpose of the discussion, I don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
You could tell there was some tension in the flashbacks even before Hiroki disappeared the first time and I think it might have had to deal with some of Kobayashi decisions involving Ochiai and the whole aftermath of the war.
She gave orders he didn't like, I got that. But my point is, were they "mistakes"? Did she have any other choice if she wanted Sidonia to survive?

Quote:
And judging from Kobayashi's arguments with LaLa at the time, it looked as though at the time she was actually putting the orders and desires of the council above all. She would constantly spout out the fact that they had taken an oath to serve the council, but Lala and Hiroki disapproved. Hiroki disappeared for 80 years before returning and when he returned, Kobayashi secretly had a clone made of him because she said that they could not afford to lose him again. I think she was thinking both for the good of Sidonia, but also because she herself couldn't lose him again. However, Hiroki probably didn't see it that way, and saw it as her trampling over his wishes by putting her duty ahead of her humanity.
And again, was that wrong? Besides, by then, it was too late. She either listened to him and lost him, or didn't and lost him anyway.

Quote:
As of now, she's begun to think more for Sidonia as a people rather than for what the council wants and he is challenging herself to change after centuries of habit. It's obvious that it's beginning to work as she has the admiration of her crew and Nagate, where as she's beginning to fall out of favor with the council.
I don't think she's changed that much. Like when she ordered that acceleration. Everyone was "oh no, people will die!", but she ordered it anyway, and people did die. But Sidonia survived.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mecha, space