AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2016-11-10, 15:50   Link #1961
Ithekro
The Comet has Come
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 41
I would point back that when it mattered (when Trump crossed the 270 line) Trump was ahead in the popular vote by about a million votes. Since then Clinton's vote number have gone up, but in places were it won't matter....like California which was solidly voting for her from the second the doors opened, and everyone in the state knew it without an real doubts. She took the state by a factor of 2 to 1 against Trump. So I was very comfortable I could vote for whomever I wanted since it would not make a difference in the way the state went. So I voted for someone that actually seemed like he could be a decent person as well as President...I voted Sanders (even if he was not eligible anymore).
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2016-11-10, 15:54   Link #1962
Sheba
Part-Time TTK & Master
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Iwakawa base and Chaldea
Age: 38
Oregon became almost all red, while Massachussetts remained blue. I am polarized about it.
Sheba is offline  
Old 2016-11-10, 16:00   Link #1963
sasoras
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I would point back that when it mattered (when Trump crossed the 270 line) Trump was ahead in the popular vote by about a million votes. Since then Clinton's vote number have gone up, but in places were it won't matter....like California which was solidly voting for her from the second the doors opened, and everyone in the state knew it without an real doubts. She took the state by a factor of 2 to 1 against Trump. So I was very comfortable I could vote for whomever I wanted since it would not make a difference in the way the state went. So I voted for someone that actually seemed like he could be a decent person as well as President...I voted Sanders (even if he was not eligible anymore).
There were poll workers that came out and shouted to stop writing Bernie in.
__________________
sasoras is offline  
Old 2016-11-10, 16:07   Link #1964
Ithekro
The Comet has Come
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 41
There is a Star Trek quote at might be relevant: "...perhaps what we most needed was a kick in our complacency - to prepare us for what lies ahead." ~Captain Picard
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2016-11-10, 16:07   Link #1965
Kakurin
私は影の国の女王、異境、魔境の主
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I would point back that when it mattered (when Trump crossed the 270 line) Trump was ahead in the popular vote by about a million votes. Since then Clinton's vote number have gone up, but in places were it won't matter....like California which was solidly voting for her from the second the doors opened, and everyone in the state knew it without an real doubts. She took the state by a factor of 2 to 1 against Trump. So I was very comfortable I could vote for whomever I wanted since it would not make a difference in the way the state went. So I voted for someone that actually seemed like he could be a decent person as well as President...I voted Sanders (even if he was not eligible anymore).
And here's the thing, why should there be a case of votes not mattering in a nationwide election for the highest post in the state? Why are 3 million Trump votes in California worth less than 2.8 million Trump votes in Ohio? Likewise, why are 4.5 million Clinton votes in Florida worth less than 348k Clinton votes in New Hampshire? Yes, the electoral college is a symbol of the federal nature of the United States, but frankly, it should've gone out the window April 9, 1865.
__________________
Kakurin is offline  
Old 2016-11-10, 16:10   Link #1966
frivolity
My posts are frivolous
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Comparing it to Cornell's numbers for previous elections:
http://ropercenter.cornell.edu/polls...ps-voted-2004/

Men voted 55-44 in favour of W Bush over Kerry, and 53-41 for Trump over Hillary. Obama in 2012 lost 45-52, but won 49-48 in 2012.

Whites voted 58-41 for W Bush over Kerry, and 58-37 for Trump over Hillary. Obama in 2012 lost 39-59, and 43-55 in 2012.

If the NYT exit polls are right, that confirms that the reason why Hillary lost is primarily because women and minorities didn't show up for her in the numbers that she needed, and because she failed to get men and whites to vote for her over third parties.
__________________
Warship Girls: <-- link
USS Nevada
Andrea-Doria, California, Vanguard, Richelieu, Prince of Wales

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

frivolity is offline  
Old 2016-11-10, 16:26   Link #1967
Ithekro
The Comet has Come
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 41
Because this is a republic. We are not a democracy nor are we run by mob rule. If there was no Electoral college and every voted mattered, how many more people would vote? How much more dominate would California be nationally (over 10% of the population)? Would how would it change the numbers if people didn't think their vote would be wasted? There are several potential unintended consequences to such an act that the Electoral College was designed to prevent. What was the term, 'tyranny of the majority'? It is Majority rules, Minority Rights. A straight up democracy is just Majority rules.

Is it perfect, no, but than nothing is.

Presently the candidates spend there campaign time in the swing states that can change the elections. If it was a simple democracy, they'd spend their time in California and New York and the small states would be considered meaningless. The entire voting population of Wyoming is around the difference between Trump and Clinton at present.

How much of the public that didn't vote would side with Clinton? How much would have sided with Trump? That's what 40% of the registered population that is unaccounted for? What if they too voted for Trump as a mob? Would you be complaining about the placement of a tyrant by mob rule? Most certainly. Would it be the same if Clinton took office in that way? Yes. It would just be a different segment of the population doing the complaining.

We work with what we have. A true Democracy cannot work unless you have an educated population (educated rather than indoctrinated, which is a complaint by the educated right-wing about the school systems) that has time to look into the politics of the situation. This is not possible even with the Internet as people still need to work until such time as automation make it impractical for humans to work and somehow the economics change to the point we can do whatever without fear of not having shelter, food, and water.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2016-11-10, 16:34   Link #1968
Akuma Kousaka
The iDOL(ove Live!)M@STER
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: 765° of 346 Otonokizaka
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Akuma Kousaka
Bernie: You have allowed this corruption to twist your mind, until now...until you've become the very thing you swore to destroy

Hillary: Don't lecture me, Bernie-Wan! I see through the lies of the socialists! I do not fear Wall Street as you do. I have brought peace, freedom, justice, and security to my new Empire

Bernie: Your new Empire?

Hillary: Don't make me smear you...

Bernie: Hillary, my allegiance is to America, to democracy!

Hillary: If you're not with me...then you're my enemy!

Bernie: Only a Partisan deals in absolutes...I will do as I must

Hillary: You will try...

(later on...)

Hillary: ...America. What about America? Is it safe?

DWS: It seems in your hubris...you got Trump elected

Hillary: no...this can't be...

Hillary: no...

Hillary: NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
__________________
Heil Muse. Bow before the Cinderella GirlsMuses are red
Cinderellas are blue
FAITODAYO
GANBARIMASU
Akuma Kousaka is offline  
Old 2016-11-10, 16:43   Link #1969
Kakurin
私は影の国の女王、異境、魔境の主
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Because this is a republic. We are not a democracy nor are we run by mob rule. If there was no Electoral college and every voted mattered, how many more people would vote? How much more dominate would California be nationally (over 10% of the population)? Would how would it change the numbers if people didn't think their vote would be wasted? There are several potential unintended consequences to such an act that the Electoral College was designed to prevent. What was the term, 'tyranny of the majority'? It is Majority rules, Minority Rights. A straight up democracy is just Majority rules.
So France is not a republic or what? They have no problem voting their president in a two-staged direct election.

Quote:
Presently the candidates spend there campaign time in the swing states that can change the elections. If it was a simple democracy, they'd spend their time in California and New York and the small states would be considered meaningless. The entire voting population of Wyoming is around the difference between Trump and Clinton at present.
So it's better then that "safe" big states like California, New York or Texas don't matter? If you desire to ensure the rights of small states, you can do it via the parliamentary system. That's what the Senate's there for with each state getting the same number of senators regardless of population.
__________________
Kakurin is offline  
Old 2016-11-10, 16:59   Link #1970
Ithekro
The Comet has Come
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 41
France has the population about the same size as California and Texas combined and the land area of Texas. The United States is dealing with about five times that number of people and a whole lot more territory to cover.

If we wanted a parliamentary system we would have imitated the British far more than we did back in the 1780s and 90s.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2016-11-10, 17:13   Link #1971
Kakurin
私は影の国の女王、異境、魔境の主
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
France has the population about the same size as California and Texas combined and the land area of Texas. The United States is dealing with about five times that number of people and a whole lot more territory to cover.
Size is no argument. The key issue is, as you said before, how educated the population is and how secure democratic principles are in that population. If you think that France is ahead of the US in these areas, so be it. But to repeat, size is no argument by itself.

Quote:
If we wanted a parliamentary system we would have imitated the British far more than we did back in the 1780s and 90s.
You didn't get what I was saying. I was saying that the US parliamentary system already has a form of safeguard for the rights of small states in the form of the US Senate that assigns senators irrespective of the population size of the state.
__________________
Kakurin is offline  
Old 2016-11-10, 17:23   Link #1972
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
For once, he was right.

Of course, I'm sure he has no issue with it anymore now.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline  
Old 2016-11-10, 17:23   Link #1973
Ithekro
The Comet has Come
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 41
One check based on the Senate is not enough, two are required due to the structure of the government. One for the Legislative Branch and one for the Executive Branch. We might need one for the Judicial Branch if it spirals into following the party lines instead of staying in the middle as Justice for all and Keepers of the law.


As for the rest, now many missteps has France had since its latest Republic came into power. What are they on now, the Fifth Republic?
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2016-11-10, 18:16   Link #1974
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 27
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58...b0ddd4fe7954e8

If true highly amusing. The DNC definitely needs a purge. Uninspired corporate democrats have sunk the party and lost us a critical election.
Reckoner is offline  
Old 2016-11-10, 18:39   Link #1975
MCAL
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/i/moments...7157830656?m=1

So it begins...

https://thinkprogress.org/david-clar...e60#.z4q21i2jh

Welcome to the Potential American Nazi Party everyone.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/1...d-trust-231179

The Trumps and their attorneys must be on one hell of a drug.

Last edited by MCAL; 2016-11-10 at 19:16.
MCAL is offline  
Old 2016-11-10, 18:52   Link #1976
KiraYamatoFan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Age: 35
We're only in Day 1 of the Trump era, and here is what is going on now. It goes as far as taunting kids in kindergarten because those kids have Hispanic roots.

People Share Frightening Images In The Aftermath Of Trump's Victory

Thank you very much, M. Fuckface von Clownstick. Welcome to Hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
If we wanted a parliamentary system we would have imitated the British far more than we did back in the 1780s and 90s.
And to be honest, that would not be a bad thing, far from it. It would hold all MPs and party leaders themselves accountable for the counties/districts they each represent. Also, that would demand all politicians and especially party leaders to engage in serious debates. To put it in simple words for all elected folks: get to work, you lazy blokes.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2016-11-10 at 19:22.
KiraYamatoFan is offline  
Old 2016-11-10, 19:47   Link #1977
Harbinger
Squirrel Master
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
(EDIT)

It appears TPP is history (soon).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58...b0ddd4fe7954e8

If true highly amusing. The DNC definitely needs a purge. Uninspired corporate democrats have sunk the party and lost us a critical election.
We've been telling this for a while now...

DNC cheated to favor Clinton. They did everything they could to elect Clinton over Bernie and this very action has cost them the election.

"Bernie had white voters" said the media (we cannot deny that he had a lot of white voters). The DNC spit on those "white voters". Why did Hillary Clinton lose according to many people here? Because "white voters" didn't vote for her. Why didn't white voters vote for her? Because the DNC and the Clinton campaign cheated their candidate, insulted them and tried to paint them as some sort of violent chair thrower basement dweller.

Bernie supporters knew that they were cheated and they would never support a candidate that cheated them.

Don't spit on them and expect them to come to your help. If anything, they voted against Clinton to show you the door out.

The DNC needs a purge and the people who needs purging are those old dogs... those Neo-Liberals. Donna is the first one who needs to get. Debbie needs to be blacklisted for life.
Harbinger is offline  
Old 2016-11-10, 20:30   Link #1978
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: in a van by the river
Nice knowing you all. As anime will probably be banned under the new regime.

I have spent the last two days seething and cutting ties with anyone who supports Trump.

And if you did? Fuck you. Fuck you a lot. You just helped kill America and bought us a dictator.
__________________
GDiddy is offline  
Old 2016-11-10, 20:30   Link #1979
KiraYamatoFan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
https://thinkprogress.org/david-clar...e60#.z4q21i2jh

Welcome to the Potential American Nazi Party everyone.
That guy is a despicable joe of the worst kind. He reminds me of Stephen in Django Unchained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
Nice knowing you all. As anime will probably be banned under the new regime.

I have spent the last two days seething and cutting ties with anyone who supports Trump.
That is a shame for Americans to have anime banned as much as it would be a shame anywhere else. To hell with the people who shit on anime.

Speaking of cutting ties with Trumpets, I cleared a few off my own Facebook page. I told them to go fuck themselves straight on because we have nothing in common.
KiraYamatoFan is offline  
Old 2016-11-10, 20:39   Link #1980
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
"Bernie had white voters" said the media (we cannot deny that he had a lot of white voters). The DNC spit on those "white voters". Why did Hillary Clinton lose according to many people here? Because "white voters" didn't vote for her. Why didn't white voters vote for her? Because the DNC and the Clinton campaign cheated their candidate, insulted them and tried to paint them as some sort of violent chair thrower basement dweller.
As for the white male voters, let's not leave out the part how Trump appealed to many of them with his statements how immigrants are taking away their jobs, how non-whites are advantaged to whites in the job market and so on. None of these are true but these phrases were received with open arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
Bernie supporters knew that they were cheated and they would never support a candidate that cheated them.

Don't spit on them and expect them to come to your help. If anything, they voted against Clinton to show you the door out.
Each and every Bernie supporter who didn't vote in protest should ask themselves if they can really be proud of the result they got. Those who voted Trump have never been Bernie supporters to begin with as their policies are fundamentally different.
Eisdrache is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.