AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2016-12-26, 14:24   Link #321
4th Dimension

The schedule for posting, I guess of this additional, content was posted on nanofate. I wonder if and when this appears how long will it take for this to be translated. We have been a bit lucky with Strike since it came WITH amazon translation, but I guess these will not be as lucky.

On the other hand it's more Strike so it's eh.
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-26, 17:02   Link #322
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

As I heard, other 2 BD/DVD eeps will be just a recaps.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-26, 17:11   Link #323
4th Dimension

Well going by the numbering two of them are OVAs set between episodes 5 and 6. I don't know what could they recap there!?!?
Old 2016-12-27, 17:40   Link #324
4th Dimension

The first issue of manga that comes with Strike has been translated.

Nothing much in it, Ein and Fuka go to lunch with Nakajima sisters.
Old 2017-05-09, 07:01   Link #325
4th Dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
... it has done literally nothing different from ViVid. Even the realism and grievous injuries happened in ViVid before Strike! ever got its hands on it.
Except such injuries (shattered ribs, smashed legs, a 10 year old smashing and audibly chrucnhing
her classmates etc.) didn't happen in Vivid since there they are protected with Crash Override (which emulates injuries) while in Strike I don't think there is any protection going on during the Winter Cup. In fact during the Vivid the only actual injury was I think Harry breaking her own arm willingly to escape El's binds? The rest even when they are KOd, they aren't hurt more dazed and knocked nonphysically out. Even Chantez who was splattered by Victoria didn't really suffer any physical injuries but was more given a bed to rest and recover stamina and mentally. As far as I remember.

It's not as dark as Force, but it is a considerable departure compared to Vivid.

Hell a person I know once remarked that Strike looks like as if the story about two friends reconnecting through martial arts tournament IRL was fist written and then as an afterthought somebody decided to rework it into a Nanoha/Vivid extension. Which explains why it's the least magitech of all the settings and some elements of the lore are missing or were reworked. Like everyone getting Adult Mode transformation, Berlinettas driving GMC Jeeps, no protection for child competitors from injury etc. etc.
Old 2017-05-09, 11:40   Link #326
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Well, here's the thing. Despite the Crash Emulate, ViVid proper had Sieglinde shattering Micaiah's wrist, had Vivio struck so hard that her transformation magic failed (an event that had a LOT of people in-universe very concerned), had Einhart nearly killed during the Inter-Middle at Sieglinde's hand--all of these made far more serious by the existence of Crash Emulate just flat out not preventing these things because the girls were too strong. Even Victoria and Chantez's match had Chantez knocked unconscious from the fight after her face was slammed into the floor hard enough to shatter the material. Let's also not forget such joyous events mentioned in the past, like how Olivie had both of her arms blown off in a magical accident when she was a small child, and god knows what else in the way of visual horrors Einhart has lurking in the recesses of her mind.

Honestly, if it weren't for the whole out-of-control flesh regeneration problem of the Eclipse virus, Nanoha Force would be the tamest out of the franchise. KIA-type death is common in practically any media--anime, games, movies, etc--while the other entries of the franchise give us such lovely examples of accidental death of one's child by the parent's hand, physical abuse of a child by a parent, children being forced to watch as their family is murdered in front of them, inhumane experimentation of adults and children both, and the psychological horrors of another person's memories and identities being forced onto another person's in such a way that it threatens to erase the other person's identity.

ViVid Strike! is hardly any different in that regard, and as far as its content goes, it's pretty standard for the Nanoha franchise. Rinne's issues are almost exactly the same as Einhart's in ViVid proper, only stemming from a different catalyst for her chosen path of self-destruction.
Old 2017-05-09, 16:12   Link #327
4th Dimension

TBH, I don't remember half of those from Vivid. I certainly don't remember any actual injuries requiring hospitalization that weren't self inflicted, and while Sieg can break the system if he looses control due to her erasers (still there is a best effort system in place), I don't remember Einhart being grievously hurt in those. Might be that I need to reread it at some point.
And Belkan wars are well Belkan wars, there is no need to expect sunshine and rainbows there.
Which is kind of the same how I feel about the rest of the darks stuff that happened in the series. There is a lot of darkness, but most of the time it's clearly a bad thing that happens and is considerably less graphic about it. But here this is a tournament for U15 olds and Rinne is regularly shattering her opponents, and we get pretty graphic displays of such violence with seemingly no protection in place (despite there being a system that could prevent this) while the crowds cheer (well not really, but the announcer always struck me as a bit of an ass). And all of this is supposed to be a safe tournament specifically focused on mostly melee attacks which should be easier to guard against in which only really young participate. There is no way injuries such as Miura's should be happening. This is not the battlefield.

While in Force no actual character died, there was PLENTY of death and not to mention the antagonists gloating about how good they are at causing death in noncombatants. Hell we see the aftermath of Hucks doing in that church, and this is in the show while again having some really darks stuff mostly kept away from graphic things and from harming innocent civilians. In fact most of the time the most gruseome injuiries are mostly scrapes, cuts and bruises. That is quite a bit of elevation of graphical content IMHO. And so the contrast between StrikerS and Force is similar to contrast between Vivid and Strike.
Old 2017-05-09, 16:38   Link #328
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Sieglinde mentions her injuring Micaiah in a flashback, because Micaiah was able to trigger the Black Arm of Jeremiah, forcing her to defend herself against her will. It's why she didn't participate in the tournament before the one in ViVid, and why she was unwilling to watch Micaiah's battle with Miura. For a swordswoman, a shattered wrist could be a career-ending injury, and she's lucky she managed to recover.

Einhart was luckily not injured when she herself triggered the Black Arm of Jeremiah, but had she failed to dodge the Eraser Sieglinde unleashed, then there's little doubt that she would've died in the ring that day. That's what the Black Arm does; it's an automatic defense system that eliminates whatever it is that threatens Sieglinde's life--much like how NachtWal operated within the Book of Darkness, and much like how the Bible of the Silver Cross functions when it activated in Force.

As for the Winter Cup, it's a different beast than the Inter-Middle. It's clearly a higher-stakes type of competition, where the injuries are real, and likely where there's other restrictions on what you can do as a result--we don't see anyone throwing about bombardment spells, so chances are it's limited to just magical martial arts. And be it as it may, they can get away with it because mages as a whole are sturdier creatures than regular humans. They can take a lot more abuse than normal, and have their own personal protections in play. Yes, injuries can happen--but those who enter the ring should do so fully aware of the fact. It's no different from real life martial arts tournaments.

And if there IS a system in place that they just don't announce, or assume previous viewers of ViVid already knew about, then it's once again the same case as ViVid, where stronger combatants overloaded the system. It still fits within ViVid as a result. That's all ViVid Strike! is, really, just an extension or side story to ViVid proper. Hell, things in ViVid Strike are already being set up in ViVid proper, such as Nove acquiring her gym and Miura transferring to her mentorship from that of Zafira.

As for ViVid, it already showed its own graphical atrocity. We saw victims of the war Klaus and Olivie fought in, and we saw Klaus blowing up men and horses both. We see fields of vanquished soldiers, impaled upon spears and swords and punctured by arrows. The last sequence of Klaus showed him standing over a broken body, his own covered in blood--and it's mentioned to have been his last, having been killed in battle. So in that regard, Strike! is kind of tame.
Old 2017-05-10, 03:07   Link #329
4th Dimension

Sure there is Belkan grimness in Vivid, but it's in a different context. It's Belkan wars. TBH if it was happy fun time I would among those to call bull on it. So it being grim is fine. Also the entire background on Olivie and Claus is SUPPOSED to be a tragedy.

And as to Sieg, that is Sieg being Sieg. The key thing there is that Sieg is trying real hard for her not to loose control and being able to break the best possible protection systems because of Belkan heritage fuckery. And now that I think about it, while she has lost control apart from Micah, whoose injury I'll take on your word (it fits the fact that I remember Sig quitting one of competitions) since I don't remember the mention, she hasn't injured others. But if she did start loosing control a lot more often, than frankly I would expect her to be barred since she is activelly endangering competitors since the safety can not cope with her.

The competition in Strike is a competition between civilian children. Not ones in military in a conflict situation, but during a normal sport competition among their peers that nobody remarks to be strange.

There is a key difference between Rinne breaking the safety system of Winter Cup (IMHO I don't think there was any protection involved) and Sieg breaking through Crash Override. In case of Sieg that is a rare occurrence of a competitor breaking through a best possible effort/best possible safety system there is while in Strike the safety system in place (which as I said I don't believe there was any) is woefully under performing while at the same time there is a system used in sister cups that is shown during the fight at the Alpine estate to be perfectly capable of stopping/preventing grievous injury even with Fuka and Rinne going all out.
This is what IMO makes the organizers of the Winter Cup frankly criminally negligent. They knew the strengths and tactics of their competitors (unlike Sieg, who tries to avoid relying on Jeremiah mode, Rinne is all about relying on her brute force (not her fault TBH)) and did not do their best to try to eliminate the threat of injury to them even though there was better safety equipment available.

Also given that the Vivid actually made it a point to bring attention to the fact that CO is being used to prvide maximum possible protection to young competitors (which in their case was U19 (right?)), I can not really connect that attitude in case of older competitors to the attitude displayed in Winter Cup (ostensibly also the part of the same umbrella sports organization) where the competitors are actually younger in general. There really shouldn't be a "a higher-stakes type of competition, where the injuries are real" given what Vivid had established.
Old 2018-08-12, 20:15   Link #330
Lukes YGO & WS on YT
Naracchi & Saracchi

Spoiler for Episode 1:

Spoiler for Episode 2:

Spoiler for Episode 3:

Spoiler for Episode 4:

Spoiler for Episode 5:

Spoiler for Episode 6:

Spoiler for Episode 7:

Spoiler for Episode 8: